Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I think in the commentary for Infinity War, they say that due to Peter Sense, he was fully aware of what was going on. Which is why he's so terrified.

Yeah, and his healing factor meant his body was trying to physically hold itself together. He was the only person we know of who actually realized he was being wiped out and felt the whole thing.

Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr. improvised his entire death scene and it's been hard for the MCU to reach a similiar level of sadness on purpose. The ending of WandaVision got close, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, and his healing factor meant his body was trying to physically hold itself together. He was the only person we know of who actually realized he was being wiped out and felt the whole thing.

That's what I was getting at with my initial question about Mr. Immortal, who's healing factor seems to outmatch everyone I am aware of (Wolverine, Deadpool, from the top of my head).

Would he have turned to dust, completely aware and bewildered by what is happening, trying to scoop the dust back into himself?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr. improvised his entire death scene and it's been hard for the MCU to reach a similiar level of sadness on purpose. The ending of WandaVision got close, though.

Also I realized the Peter is basically the reason everyone came back. Tony saw the picture of the two of them, and felt sad about Peter's loss and that got him back to figuring out time travel.

mcbexx posted:

That's what I was getting at with my initial question about Mr. Immortal, who's healing factor seems to outmatch everyone I am aware of (Wolverine, Deadpool, from the top of my head).

Would he have turned to dust, completely aware and bewildered by what is happening, trying to scoop the dust back into himself?

Its also possible his immortally just made him one of those who wasn't snapped. Though his immortality seems more based around physical injury and such. Reality making him not exist is not exactly the same thing as getting hit with a bus or being shot in the head.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

Also I realized the Peter is basically the reason everyone came back. Tony saw the picture of the two of them, and felt sad about Peter's loss and that got him back to figuring out time travel.

I think you mostly have to give that to Scott, but not necessarily in the way that you'd think. I think if Scott had come back like a couple days after the Snap had happened he probably would not have gone to the Avengers because he'd have been focused on trying to take care of his daughter. I think Scott goes to the Avengers as he does because deep down he is incredibly pissed off that Thanos stole even more time of him being with his daughter. And he can't get that time back. So he wants to bring back everyone else and give Thanos a big "gently caress You" at the same time.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Everyone posted:

I think you mostly have to give that to Scott, but not necessarily in the way that you'd think. I think if Scott had come back like a couple days after the Snap had happened he probably would not have gone to the Avengers because he'd have been focused on trying to take care of his daughter. I think Scott goes to the Avengers as he does because deep down he is incredibly pissed off that Thanos stole even more time of him being with his daughter. And he can't get that time back. So he wants to bring back everyone else and give Thanos a big "gently caress You" at the same time.

I think that poo poo hit me at least as hard as the Peter/Tony stuff did

like, watch Ant-Man 2 and then watch Endgame, and tell me you wouldn't have smiled and nodded if the Ant-Man/Hawkeye hypothesized alternate ending panned out

you know the one

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The acting quality in a lot of MCU stuff would probably get awards if it wasn't in a historically dismissed genre.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mcbexx posted:

I honestly can't remember how much, if at all, the MCU went into the cosmology of everything around the Infinity Gauntlet, but originally it made Thanos an omnipotent, God-like being. Hence the stoned Homer questioning Jesus. Thanos supplanted himself in the place of Eternity, who is the embodiment of the cosmos, and only lost it due to his hubris (and potentially his subconscious). Of course later on Marvel power creep brought in things like the Living Tribunal and it's not so clear-cut anymore, but anyway, the "snap" in the original version just disappeared half of all life instantly. Thanos was also able to control who went away, for instance he made sure that his father disappeared. In this version a regenerative power would mean dick all.

Obviously it made for more interesting visuals to have everyone turn to dust, and now that it's been weaponized as a meme, well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

Scott would have been focused on Cassie for a few days until she gave him a kick up the arse and made him go save the world

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

twistedmentat posted:

Its also possible his immortally just made him one of those who wasn't snapped. Though his immortality seems more based around physical injury and such. Reality making him not exist is not exactly the same thing as getting hit with a bus or being shot in the head.

Judging by how he described it in the episode, his immortality works the same way it does in the comics. Mr. Immortal can be killed, he just comes back right away. It's possible he got snapped, turned into dust, and then... just came back.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

A.o.D. posted:

Judging by how he described it in the episode, his immortality works the same way it does in the comics. Mr. Immortal can be killed, he just comes back right away. It's possible he got snapped, turned into dust, and then... just came back.

Not that the case he brought in the episode doesn't suit the show's themes far better, but it is funny to imagine an alternate where Mr. Immortal is suing the Avengers for bringing him back because Thanos' snap was the only way he could truly die and he was just tired of living after hundreds of lives, without even the option of suicide.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Scott would have been focused on Cassie for a few days until she gave him a kick up the arse and made him go save the world

One thing Scott says in Endgame is he "can't stop thinking about the time thing." If he was with Cassie he probably wouldn't have been thinking about it. Because he wouldn't have been dwelling on how he'd missed watching his little girl grow into a young woman like he'd missed seeing her go from a baby into a little girl while he was in prison.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
There was a surprise screening of Werewolf by Night at Fantastic Fest, and word was very positive from those who attended. A lot of Tweet reactions in the following article:

https://collider.com/werewolf-by-night-reactions-reviews-is-it-good/

Seems to be about an hour long and will be in black and white, the viewers praised Giacchino's directing, the B-movie look and tone and acting.

https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/1574224758383599618

Some BTS on the project from an after screening interview with Giacchino:

https://www.polygon.com/23372425/marvel-werewolf-by-night-reaction-michael-giacchino

Polygon Article posted:

The special’s classic inspirations were behind the decision to present Werewolf by Night in black and white. Giacchino says he shot the special in color, and that the early cuts were in color, but that he was always hoping he’d be allowed to present it in black and white. “So we had a separate monitor that was only showing black and white, so I could still check how it would look.”

Eventually, though, he assembled a black-and-white cut and showed it to Feige. “And I remember when when it was over, Kevin looked at me, and he goes, ‘I think we have to release this in black and white, don’t we?’ […] So it was one of those stylistic things that I think everyone got on board as soon as they saw it. It felt like the right thing to do for the spirit of the story we were telling.”

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It didn't fully connect that the guy playing Mr. Immortal also played Selina Kyle's ex in Veep, which makes so much sense.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

The Modern Leper posted:

It didn't fully connect that the guy playing Mr. Immortal also played Selina Kyle's ex in Veep, which makes so much sense.

I know you meant to write Meyers there but now I want to see Armando Ianucci's version of Batman so badly. As for David Pasquesi, I mistook him for Tom Kenny like I do every time I see him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mutants definitely coming to the MCU or something

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1574865217141481477

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This seems a little stupid, but OK I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szj1iqYanFM

WARNING :siren: spoilers for Logan the old movie

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's Deadpool; stupid kind of comes with the territory. Which I don't even mean as an insult or to demean the property; it's just Deadpool is a very silly character that revels in his own silliness. A lot of things about it would sound dumb as gently caress on paper, but they work regardless because of the style, personality and acting in the case of the movies. Reynolds and Jackman have been taking the piss out of each other in a friendly way about their movies for years, so I think it's cool that Jackman is coming back for one more performance to act alongside his friend. I assume Feige backed a money truck up to his house as part of the deal, and I'd hope for his sake that he doesn't go shirtless or something so he can be less unhealthy in his preparations for the role, and can instead just enjoy it as one last ride but it should be fun regardless.

Frankly, I'm just looking forward to the first time She-Hulk and Deadpool are on screen together, if it happens, because the 4th wall break should descend into Mel Brooks territory at that point. I wouldn't be surprised if such a scene didn't have them holding scripts as the production team, sets etc. come into view while they talk to the director.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Deadpool is the one franchise where I don't mind bringing back Hugh Jackman wolverine again. Like yeah it's dumb but most of Deadpool is.

I bet Wolverine won't be the only Fox X-Men actor we'll be seeing in it, I think the temptation to do No Way Home: Really dumb Deadpool version to close out the Fox X-men franchise is too strong.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 28, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

enki42 posted:

Deadpool is the one franchise where I don't mind bringing back Hugh Jackman wolverine again. Like yeah it's dumb but most of Deadpool is.

I bet Wolverine won't be the only Fox X-Men actor we'll be seeing in it, I think the temptation to do No Way Home: Really dumb Deadpool version is too strong.

They'll bring back Evan Peters for another Ralph Boener joke.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

tsob posted:

They'll bring back Evan Peters for another Ralph Boener joke.

this needs to happen

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Alternately, they build up Elizabeth Olsen during trailers and the movie's press tour only to reveal her playing Ralph Boener's cousin in one scene, a bit character called Amanda Waximoff or something.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tsob posted:

Frankly, I'm just looking forward to the first time She-Hulk and Deadpool are on screen together, if it happens, because the 4th wall break should descend into Mel Brooks territory at that point. I wouldn't be surprised if such a scene didn't have them holding scripts as the production team, sets etc. come into view while they talk to the director.

Oh I'm all in on #teamstupidfun, don't get me wrong

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Deadpool Kills The Fox/Marvel Universe is about as good a take on this movie as I can imagine, just lemme keep Zazie Beetz as Domino

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Alternately, they build up Elizabeth Olsen during trailers and the movie's press tour only to reveal her playing Ralph Boener's cousin in one scene, a bit character called Amanda Waximoff or something.

This also needs to happen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Official video from Marvel and Ryan Reynolds about how the Deadpool and Logan canon fit into the MCU.

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1575101936700772355

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Scroll up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Film ends when a young real life MCU fan called Gwen Poole crashes the set, double taps Ryan and Hugh because she hates their lol random meta poo poo and the Fox films in general. As the cops slap on the cuffs, Fiege offers her a D+ show. Roll credits.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If Deadpool 3 doesn't have Kevin Feige as an onscreen character I want a refund

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope the final wrap on the MCU is just a live action Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe complete with going after Feige, Jon Favreau, and even all the actors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rarity posted:

If Deadpool 3 doesn't have Kevin Feige as an onscreen character I want a refund

The post credits scene will be Deadpool sitting at home, dejected, when suddenly a Dr Strange portal opens behind him. Either Feige or someone big in the MCU will step through and ask him if he wants a new home. Deadpool turns to camera and shrugs. “Come on, you knew this was going to happen.” Then they walk through together.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

tsob posted:

I want it to be apparent that Jen and Wade look in different directions when addressing the audience. They both have their own discreet walls. It’s a bit high concept but I would get a chuckle.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I just want Josh Brolin as Cable again

And have nobody make a comment about it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Technowolf posted:

I just want Josh Brolin as Cable again

And have nobody make a comment about it

bonus points if he drops some extremely Thanos lines out of context

"the hardest choices require the strongest wills," Cable mutters while trying to decide his order at like a Wendy's or something

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

She Hulk continues to be great. Blonsky's therapy group was fantastic.

Poor Jen can never catch a break on the dating scene.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Abomaste is an A+ pun for Blonsky’s group help program.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She Hulk continues to be great. Blonsky's therapy group was fantastic.

The deep pulls they made for group members was incredible :allears:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
another mutant spotted!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Mameluke posted:

another mutant spotted!!!

Which one was it?

The whole group was literal nobodies I haven't heard of before.
Another great episode of the week though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

yesssssssssss

love the d-list characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I recently read the first few Porcupine/Hank Pym stories and they were so bad so it was great to see him show up