Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jedit posted:

The entire plot was rewritten as originally it centred on the Flag Smashers plotting a global pandemic.

Yeah that always gets a dark laugh from me. yikes

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It got doubly hosed by COVID, in terms of plot and it was one of the first shows to have filming interrupted by it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, I thought US Agent did a great job of capturing that sense of a guy who really WANTED to be a hero but kept loving things up, but being given passes or second chances because on paper he SHOULD work as a hero. That contrast between him as the face of what politicians and the military wanted Captain America to be and Sam as what Captain America should be was handled well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I will also say I enjoyed Hawkeye, but maybe because I had such low expectations for a Jeremy Renner vehicle. It was fun. Not great, but absolutely enjoyable. Maybe save it for Christmastime.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anthony Mackie is just so likeable and earnest, he goes so well with Sebastian Stan that I don't even care about plot weaknesses. I'd rather watch three mediocre seasons of FATWS than another season of something like Secret Invasion.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I had such low expectations for a Jeremy Renner vehicle

Too soon man.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anthony Mackie is just so likeable and earnest, he goes so well with Sebastian Stan that I don't even care about plot weaknesses. I'd rather watch three mediocre seasons of FATWS than another season of something like Secret Invasion.

Well sure but that's the lowest possible bar

FATWS was mediocre and muddled at worst, not offensively stupid

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Dave posted:

Too soon man.

Ahh hahah unintentional, but, nevertheless

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
My biggest problem with the Loki show is that there really isn't much reason for Loki to be in this show. This could be Ant-Man at the TVA or really any other character in the MCU and it functions just the same. The show makes so little use of Loki the trickster god that it's hard to see why this is even the Loki show and not "The Time Variance Authority Show". I love Tom Hiddleston though and I would watch him read a phone book so I'm not too upset about this, but it's pretty jarring that he's basically a side character in his own show.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Dave posted:

Too soon man.

Lmao

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think Hawkeye is particularly fun as a 1-2 night binge watch, especially around the holidays.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmDH12MAA4

So who's this new bad guy?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

delightful posted:

My biggest problem with the Loki show is that there really isn't much reason for Loki to be in this show. This could be Ant-Man at the TVA or really any other character in the MCU and it functions just the same. The show makes so little use of Loki the trickster god that it's hard to see why this is even the Loki show and not "The Time Variance Authority Show". I love Tom Hiddleston though and I would watch him read a phone book so I'm not too upset about this, but it's pretty jarring that he's basically a side character in his own show.

He is the heart of the show

TVA is the setting for him learning that friendship is magic

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hawkeye is great for Kate and Yelana stuff.

I've liked all of the D+ shows except secret invasion, they're not all perfect, but they're at least enjoyable hour or so of TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm being serious when I say the first part of that trailer above I legit thought was one of those awful OFFICIAL NEW TRAILER VIDEO RELEASEconcept visualisation not affiliated with Marvel or Disney videos, using a bunch of archive footage of characters from other films.

Also the rest of the trailer barely had any Kamala in it so what's the loving point? :mad:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The advertising for The Marvels has gotten very confusing. Is this new villain trying to kill half the universe too?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The opening action scene in Falcon and the Winter Soldier with the Winter Soldier Assassination Flashback is literally the best fight choreography for The Winter Soldier in any MCU property. Too bad the rest of the action in the series wasn't nearly as good.

The U.S. Agent scene where his partner dies and he chases down the Flag Smasher who killed him, decapitates him with Cap's Shield, and then hard cuts to black after showing the shield covered in blood next to the headless body was also an amazingly well shot scene that the rest of the show never really hit.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Why is Sylvie being so difficult this season

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

delightful posted:

I was thinking about this at the top of the series, and I do think it matters enough that it's Loki and not Ant-Man. Like, yeah Paul Rudd could fill the slot, but you get a few things with Loki that they have toyed with:

- Character is a literal god with lots of stupidly powerful magic, so when he enters the TVA and is immediately neutered you get a sense that they're operating on another level.
- On a similar note, trickster god is an inherently boy-who-cried-wolf, so you get some drama from that. Last season ended with a supposed suspenseful moment when Loki was tempted with complete control, and that plays well into it. Granted, it was pretty obvious which way this show is having him lean, but it's there.
- Character is initially only motivated by self-preservation, and this makes for the fun journey of "well poo poo, I need to keep existing, I better save the universe, poo poo I love my friends, oh poo poo I'm a good guy now". Again, clunky on the delivery of that, but it's there.

Basically, Ant-Man being the guy in this doesn't give you the same punches of a strong entity getting humbled as poo poo by bureaucratic time cops. And, as you mentioned, Hiddleston is a delight. Fun place to park Loki, look forward to when they try to shoehorn him back into Thor's life.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The opening action scene in Falcon and the Winter Soldier with the Winter Soldier Assassination Flashback is literally the best fight choreography for The Winter Soldier in any MCU property. Too bad the rest of the action in the series wasn't nearly as good.

The U.S. Agent scene where his partner dies and he chases down the Flag Smasher who killed him, decapitates him with Cap's Shield, and then hard cuts to black after showing the shield covered in blood next to the headless body was also an amazingly well shot scene that the rest of the show never really hit.

The scene where the Dora Milaje beat the poo poo out of wish.com Captain America while Bucky & Sam watch and laugh was also a high point

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Honestly I feel like most of my problems with most of the MCU TV series are largely smoothed over when you can blast your way through them without getting hung up on week to week speculation that usually ends up coming up with cooler or more interesting theories than what actually ends up happening. You can enjoy them for the chopped up movies they mostly are and favor the binge model. I don’t think there’s any one series I would call outright bad or unwatchable and most are pretty good on the whole.

Except Secret Invasion which I had the lowest possible expectations for watching it months later and still thought was pretty much crap.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Soul Glo posted:

I will also say I enjoyed Hawkeye, but maybe because I had such low expectations for a Jeremy Renner vehicle. It was fun. Not great, but absolutely enjoyable. Maybe save it for Christmastime.

Yeah this. It was solid. It was clever and funny in parts, had some okay tension and a good through plot. And, fundamentally, it is a god Christmas show.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
For movies I thought Shang-Chi was entertaining enough. Despite having a bunch of small tie-ins though it doesn't feel particularly like it's part of the MCU at all (the biggest one is the whole Mandarin thing but that feels more like they felt obliged to mention it somehow than something organic).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What a whiplash from the earlier, quirky "Sabotage" trailer to this grimdark, everything's in the balance (again)/people are gonna die vibe.

Ah well.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
A little something for everyone

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, Hawkeye was a really fun Christmas watch.

mcbexx posted:

What a whiplash from the earlier, quirky "Sabotage" trailer to this grimdark, everything's in the balance (again)/people are gonna die vibe.

Ah well.

They're panicking from bad early ticket sales, and are pivoting their marketing.

I think the movie looked good from the first trailers. This trailer looks very, "YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE! IT'S SUPER IMPORTANT!"

edit: I just noticed that I think part of the post credit scene is in the trailer. Rumored leaked spoiler: Near the end of the trailer, when someone walks in front of Monica, and there's what looks like a hospital monitor next to her showing some brain scan, there's a prominent X logo in the bottom right hand corner. Plenty of people on Twitter have noticed this, too. Zoomed and cropped image from someone else.

If so, lol Marvel.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 7, 2023

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The Marvels Spoiler Speculation:

there is a - - -- -- - - Super Skrull --- -- - -- action figure on ShopDisney that says it has the powers of all the members of The Illuminati, and was inspired by The Marvels.

:eyepop:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The imminent failure of The Marvels is sad to me because I love Brie Larson and think she's great as Captain Marvel, I really like the MCU version of the character, and the first movie is solid for all its flaws. It would surprise me a lot if she stuck around after this, she's been pretty open about how badly she gets affected by the toxic discourse around her.

The new trailer is really bad, trying to directly evoke Endgame is a terrible idea. The first trailer emphasised the involvement of the wonderful Kamala Khan and made it look like a caper where the Marvels would inevitably learn how to work together, which to me made it look like great fun and something I might consider a dreaded trip to the cinema for

And in case anyone cares what the big big big speculation is (end credit scene spoiler if true): There are wide reports that Kelsey Grammar's version of Beast will appear in the end credits scene

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 7, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Adrianics posted:

And in case anyone cares what the big big big speculation is (end credit scene spoiler if true): There are wide reports that Kelsey Grammar's version of Beast will appear in the end credits scene

Two cameos have leaked and one is very relevant to this thread: Kate Bishop.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Yeah this. It was solid. It was clever and funny in parts, had some okay tension and a good through plot. And, fundamentally, it is a god Christmas show.

Still can't get on the Hawkeye bandwagon because it's the rare example of where the MCU adaptation is worse than the actual comic. Which is great and I recommend everyone read.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mcbexx posted:

Ah well.
This trailer just screams poor ticket advances to me. There's a very "please care again" vibe to it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

LividLiquid posted:

This trailer just screams poor ticket advances to me. There's a very "please care again" vibe to it.

i looked just for giggles at the 3:10p matinee IMAX on Thursday and only 8 seats were sold.

and that sounded too good to pass up, so I got that one and refunded my 9p.

and i wasn't the only single seat
:goonsay:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

Two cameos have leaked and one is very relevant to this thread: Kate Bishop.

Oh I didn't see that one. I did see one other. Maria Rambeau. I even saw a lovely cam shot of her standing in a glass case like the ones from MoM (presumably next to Monica) in front of an X-Men door. Though it's possible that was a shop, given how lovely it was. But if true, she'd be the person passing in front of Monica near the end of the trailer. I have many questions about what this means, but none of them are all that interesting.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I didn't see that one. I did see one other. Maria Rambeau. I even saw a lovely cam shot of her standing in a glass case like the ones from MoM (presumably next to Monica) in front of an X-Men door. Though it's possible that was a shop, given how lovely it was. But if true, she'd be the person passing in front of Monica near the end of the trailer. I have many questions about what this means, but none of them are all that interesting.

We haven't heard anything about it yet and Marvel doesn't typically worry about spoilers with its casting announcements but you'd think the Rambeaus are going to show up in Deadpool 3.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it's kinda funny that this week's loki and this week's rick and morty were about tons of people getting spaghettified

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Little arthouse place around the corner here in NZ insists it's screening The Marvels today (Wednesday), and has taken my money for a showing in a few hours' time. Really not an opening night kinda guy tbh, but given the current narrative around this release I'm keen to see the film before I've been exposed to the wider world's reactions to it.

If on the off-chance the whole "moment that changes everything!!eleven" turns out to actually be a big deal, then hey, I get to be in on the ground floor. My expectations are not particularly high, but I enjoyed Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel, so I'm at least invested in the characters. We'll see how portentous the bad quality of Quantumania and Secret Invasion turns out to have been.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

dingo with a joint posted:

Little arthouse place around the corner here in NZ insists it's screening The Marvels today (Wednesday), and has taken my money for a showing in a few hours' time. Really not an opening night kinda guy tbh, but given the current narrative around this release I'm keen to see the film before I've been exposed to the wider world's reactions to it.

If on the off-chance the whole "moment that changes everything!!eleven" turns out to actually be a big deal, then hey, I get to be in on the ground floor. My expectations are not particularly high, but I enjoyed Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel, so I'm at least invested in the characters. We'll see how portentous the bad quality of Quantumania and Secret Invasion turns out to have been.

After Killers of the Flower Moon, an hour and a half long movie that I don't care about getting up to go to the bathroom during because it'll be on Disney+ by New Year's sounds like a way to spend a morning.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I so don't want the female led movie to fail, but also I don't even know if I'm gonna bother to go on thursday since 3pm is the earliest showing and friday, where there's an 11am one is in the middle of dog sitting, which I haven't done for two weeks since I've been house sitting.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The doomposting in here is worse than the trump thread

lmao you goobers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Adrianics posted:

The imminent failure of The Marvels is sad to me because I love Brie Larson and think she's great as Captain Marvel, I really like the MCU version of the character, and the first movie is solid for all its flaws.
I think she has been the weakest casting of the major Avengers characters. I don't know exactly why, but her portrayal so far has been way, way too serious. Which is disappointing because she's a good actress so I don't know if it's the direction, or what.