Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That was very cute, though I don't think anything here will particularly surprise anyone who, well, knew anything about these characters or this show.

I hope the episodes get longer 'cuz dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Whatever else, it's definitely pretty fun to see Olsen and Bettany show this kind of different range than we're used to seeing from them in the films. This sort of stuff would never usually appear in an MCU flick. Usually. Unless it's from James Gunn or Taika Waititi, but even then.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is zero chance that they won't have both Billy and Tommy as Wanda's twin boys. Marvel just isn't going to do that. If we ever get MCU Viv, it'll be through a different method.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can't remember which Tumblr meme I got this from but someone once said a couple years ago that Wanda wishes her life was a romcom, but she's actually living in a survival horror, which seems very apt for how it's going for her nowadays. :sweatdrop:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think I agree that the sitcom gimmick wasn't quite as strong this week 'cuz the pregnancy was such a huge element of the episode, and a plot like that is actually so universal and timeless that it didn't particularly cater to any 70s vibe. There was stuff in the first two episodes that was like, oh yeah, this feels like it belongs in a 50s or 60s sitcom, but there was nothing here that particularly stood out as anything that a 70s show might have have, moreso than any other decade.

I do like the overall metaplot still going on though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It might be good for folks to manage their expectations a bit from here on out. I presume there's going to be at least three more episodes utilizing this sitcom gimmick. After which, though...who knows?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Doesn't entirely explain why they can't just ask Dr Strange to pop by and do some mojo. Could even say that the Eye of Agamotto makes him immune to her rewinds. (I do hate that they just made the Eye a fancy case for the Time Stone, it's way cooler in the comics as an anti-illusion/deception widget
I mean, they might do just that. We don't know yet.

That said, Strange really shouldn't have any power or protection over time now that the Time Stone is gone. In fact, my current theory is that Wanda actually absorbed and developed the power of all the Infinity Stones, which gives her power over reality, the power affect time, even power over souls.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, Mephisto's name always seems to pop up whenever anyone speculates about a big heavy-hitter magical bad guy coming to the MCU -- everyone was saying how the Sigourney Weaver character in Defenders was likely to be Mephisto, for no particular reason in retrospect -- but in WandaVision's case there's at least some credence to that theory because he was heavily involved in the storyline where Wanda and Vision "lost" their children in the first place. If there's going to be any villain pulling strings here, then -- going strictly from comics source -- Mephisto would make the most sense.

But no, there have been no production or story or casting leaks suggesting Mephisto will appear here. If anything, the episodes so far seems to be telegraphing something of a Hydra plot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Casting spoiler

James Spader is now credited for an episode
Is there a source for this? I can't find any sites reporting on it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kinda weird for Jimmy to be calling her Wanda like they're besties or something. But I guess that's Jimmy for you.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh good, I'm definitely looking forward to a whole week of "They should have stayed with the sitcom longer!" versus "They should've left the sitcom earlier!" conversations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I hope that this version of SWORD doesn't run into the same sort of problems it did in the comics where, on top of just being SHIELD in name only, it's also supposed to be this top-notch first-responder, contingency response against otherworldly problems.......but we still want to do big events and put the world in great danger from those things so they can't actually stop these problems or be too competent.

Also the director guy is kinda shifty to me. I feel like he's gonna end up being Hydra or Mephisto or whatever, despite him seeming like a pretty good egg and there's literally no reason to suspect him of anything.

:thunk:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...not for nothing, but the MCU government should have been treating Wanda like Magneto or Zod or something. She was allies with Ultron and she's responsible (by their standards) for the destruction of the Wakandan embassy that led to the Sokovian Accords and her being a fugitive right up until the Blip.

That's why I thought it was a little weird for Jimmy to be calling her "Wanda" and treating her like any other Avenger. Jimmy's just friendly, I know, but law enforcement should not be on friendly terms with her, even before now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

What else would he call her?
Queen :c00lbert: Ms. Maximoff, I guess? I mean, he calls Monica "Captain Rambeau" and Darcy "Dr. Lewis" instead of their first names like a proper professional.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think it's a drat near certainty that the next true, final endboss is going to be Galactus.

(I am also horrible at predicting things but still)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So when's someone gonna mention it's real weird that Wanda got preggers from a robot

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:sweatdrop: I hope this doesn't blow everyone's expectations out of proportion...I mean, more than they already are, anyway. It's probably "just" gonna be Strange, or Quicksilver.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think so. Bettany has hinted that he gets to do a scene with someone he always wanted to work with, and that's probably who Olsen is referring to.
Maybe he's talking about Cumberbatch, or maybe it's a different person from the cameo Olsen's talking about. Or anything really!

Just saying, proobably manage those expectations.

(or don't! I mean, I hella wanna see Magneto too :ohdear:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I keep hearing people say they now want a Jimmy Woo/Darcy Lewis show where they just team up to solve weird things in the MCU and it's like

y'all really don't remember AoS season 1, do ya

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My theory right now is that the Wanda who ransacked SWORD to get Vision's body, aka the Wanda who threatened everyone at the border, is an imposter disguised as her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why? I can't see any arguments in favor of that theory. This seems unsubstantiated at best.
It's just kind of a weird blip (:v:) for Wanda to be with her boys in one moment, outside of Westfiew in the next moment, and then back looking for the dog as if she hadn't actually gone anywhere. Which would make sense if she hadn't gone anywhere and the Wanda we saw outside the Hex (:allears:) was in fact just a different person.

The speech she gave to the twins, about how you can't reverse death, also doesn't really square with her mindset of just using her powers to do whatever she wants.

Also, Wanda seemed to acknowledge that was in fact controlling everything when speaking to SWORD, but later seemed to suggest to Vision that she's not truly the one in control here. (This point relies on trusting that she's being truthful to Vision, though, which is dubious) (All the same though, I think we can believe she's genuinely surprised to see "Pietro" and that his return was outside of her control)

It would also explain why Wanda even knew Vision was being kept with SWORD in the first place.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Wanda's speech about the dog was just because she can raise the dead or age the kids, she won't always because she wants to keep with the rules of her new reality. If you rewatch it's pretty clear she can definitely do it if she wants to.
It's the mindset that's off to me. If she really was just some grief-stricken madwoman who's shaping reality to her whim, why would she care about whether it's right or wrong to bring back the dog? If it breaks the "rules" of her sitcom reality, why not just rewrite those rules? Why would this specifically overstep any bounds?

And yeah, like, there are just moments here and there, like the one with Agnes in this episode, that seem to portray Wanda as being just as genuinely confused about what just happened as everyone else.

It's just a theory, mind.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Do we know if MCU Dr. Strange has any passive telepathy resistance? Hawkeye, Selwig and whoever else acted to the extent of their capabilities when Mindstone'd by Loki; Wanda having Strange brainwacked in a basement somewhere doing the real magic could explain a lot
In the comics, the Eye of Agamotto is supposed to reveal the truth, and thereby protect Strange from mind-altering effects. This is somewhat inconsistent though, so you'll end up having Strange bamboozled by illusions sometimes anyway.

In the movies the only thing the Eye did, as far as we know, was to house the Time Stone. So unless they change its properties, they'll have to come up with some other mystical mind protection for Strange.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That TFATWS trailer looks awesome. "it looks too much like Russos" uh you mean the best films from the MCU? It sure does. :buddy: Get well soon y'all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Was there any suggestion or indication from...like, anything...that Daisy was going to appear in a new show? Or was this people still just going "I bet this is how Agents of SHIELD will finally tie into the MCU!" after all this time?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Mr Sunday Movies a huge chud? Or am I again confusing them with someone else?
I've listened to them for years and haven't heard of whiff of this. They make fun of chuds pretty reliably, in fact.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh there's definitely a ton of great WandaVision fanart if you can brave Tumblr and its poor excuse of a "search" "function." I quite like this one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That was probably my favorite episode and not just because of the later parts. The 90s stuff, like the child narration and quick-cut flashbacks, were was just so delightfully kooky and spot-on at the same time.

Evan Peters also did such a great job here. I want him to stay.

Mokinokaro posted:

Is this the first time they've used their last name? I don't remember it coming up in the movies.
Maximoff? It was spoken in Age of Ultron.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong, all of them from a random town in New Jersey" like what seems to be happening with Monica. Like they're not gonna have Psylocke or Wolverine be from Westview, y'all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

True, let me rephrase: if this is how mutants happen, it won't be because, like, some Americans went in and out of the Hex a few times here. Instead, it would have to be something unforeseen and much bigger in scale, not only in terms of space, but also somehow reaching back through time to make it so that there were always mutants throughout world history and that's just how it is thanks to crazy Hex magic.

It's not impossible, but it won't be like what's happening with Monica here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So, crossposting that I know folks don't want Mephisto or whatever, but right now I'm dang close to certain that "Pietro" is gonna turn out to be Mephisto, and Evan Peters is gonna end up playing him in the MCU going forward. All of Pietro's lines just make so much more sense if you imagine him as a smarmy, free-wheeling trickster devil character who's enjoying the chaos and discord all this is sowing, is provoking Wanda to go even further with it ("I'm impressed!"), and is developing a notable relationship with her kids.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

WandaVision: Developed by CDPR

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It also bears emphasizing just how completely different Evan Peters Pietro is from Aaron Johnson Pietro. We didn't see much of the old Pietro, but he was very protective and attentive towards Wanda in an almost overbearing way; there's no way he would taunt her like this or make fun of her trauma.

And at first, it seemed like the new Pietro was just playing up the sitcom tropes of the funny intrusive uncle who gets on the tightly-wound parents' nerves ('cuz that's what Wanda wanted, according to him), or else maybe he's just acting more like the Fox Studios Peter Maximoff who's much more snarky and deprecating. But the more we see, the more it seems like he's just...well, a mean person. It's tempting for Wanda (and many fans) to imagine that she really brought her brother back somehow, but it's hard to imagine any version of Quicksilver that would treat her like this. That, more than anything, makes him feel like Mephisto. Or whoever he is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

In the 70s episode, "Geraldine" mentions that it's 75 degrees outside.

The weather can be however hot or cold Wanda wants it to be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm fine with the pacing of the show but, at the same time, I also feel like I'm being roundhouse-kicked every time the "Please Stand By" screen pops up.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah it's not gonna be Loki, guys.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I'm relatively certain "nobody has guessed it yet" = plenty of people have guessed it but they really only pay attention to Twitter.
I mean, everyone has guessed just about everything at this point so someone somewhere's probably guessed right. :sweatdrop:

It's Tobey Maguire

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay lol this ending

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Very unfortunately not. Would love to see the anti-AOS squad meltdown if that were the case
I think it probably is the Darkhold. There could be any number of reasons why it doesn't look like it does in AoS, up to and including them just not caring enough about AoS :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ok lol

(spoilers for yesterday's ep)