Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Given recent reports that WandaVision is less than 8 episodes, I think there will be a couple of off-weeks between the shows, some of which will get Legends recaps to prep for the next show. But it looks like D+ has decided to fight churn by always having a marquee show running, and along with their SW and NatGeo announcements, one per tab.

Kamala's probably going to be inspired by Carol being the biggest, flashiest hero active during the Blip. We saw how the Hulk has kid fans in Endgame, seeing as she doesn't have his baggage and is probably more immediately visible cleaning up the crisis of the early days post-blip, it would make sense for her to be well-known and beloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

You really should keep going, that whole storyline is great.

All of the "FitzSimmons will tear apart reality atom by atom to get their happy ending" plots are great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

Because no one anywhere has ever cared about Thomas, I suspect they'll have one boy one girl, one magic, one robot. Even odds there will be reason in the show or Multiverse of Madness that they grow up fast enough to hang with the new teens (Kate, Kamala, Riri) were getting in phase 4.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The first act was what I've wanted since the first act of Endgame, and got a mention of in Far From Home. A good glimpse of how terrifying not only the Snap but the Unsnappening were for normal people, even clued-into-space-nonsense people like Monica.

Trying to organize my thinking here, there are four levels of reality in Westview, right?
Sitcom-as-broadcast: This is what SWORD gets, with intrusions fully edited out.
Sitcom-as-we-see-it: This is what we saw in previous weeks, including intrusion hiccups, but not Wanda's visible real powers
Events-as-they-occur: What we first saw this week, with Wanda actually physically manipulating the world and Vizombie (the Vizombie reveal was when I said "oh, things are MUCH worse than we thought they were.")
Actual Westview: bent, folded, spindled and mutilated by Wanda. Not available to take your call at this moment.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Everyone posted:

Apparently when we watch the show we just see one episode per decade. When SWORD is watching, they apparently see multiple episodes, whole seasons worth within a given decade (Darcy's "washes dishes once an episode" comment).

It's either this or the "livestream" someone mentioned before -- it's been a few days, maybe a couple of weeks outside, and who knows how long inside. Unless the sliding the beds together is impliedly the night she made the rings, there's some space there, and given Darcy had to get the TV to start watching so we could watch, I don't think The Big Dinner is the series (or even season?) premiere. The only concrete timing we know is the transition to full-color is the night of the magic show, which is the day after the tree noises, and the pregnancy happens rapidly (so all the stuff in town in the color opening is ...while they're shopping for nursery furnishings and baby guides?) So the gaps are potentially before The Big Dinner and between the end of that and The Magic Show.

Those gaps could be ANY length and depending on whether SWORD was watching a livestream that our episodes are "edited" from orSWORD was watching multiple episodes airing constantly, nightly, twice daily, or whatever, the inside:outside time ratio could be anything from 1:1 to highly-variable and spiking as high as a year per day (though that upper bound is unlikely and only achieved if SWORD is watching a full-on marathon airing of WandaVision episodes that cover an average of a week an episode, so it probably reasonably tops out around a month a day, or more likely something in the 5:1 to 7:1 range). Notably, perceived current time inside has no relation to outside, as Geraldine is ejected midday, and Monica lands at night.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

McSpanky posted:

Power origin theories: My completely baseless theory about this is that all of the stones have a little bit of each others' powers in them in order to work together, like the cosmic equivalent of voltage converters or something.

There's a thing in the comics called the "Infinity Circuit"

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Andrew Verse posted:

I have the opposite hope, that Kang is going to get chumped by Ant-Man and we'll never have to hear from him again.

I hope that we never hear from Kang again, but Immortus shows up, and gets chumped right off. And then, in the Young Avengers show/film, Iron Lad shows up. And then, in FF, they meet Rama-Tut...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Loved Monica whiting out the scan and clearly having mixed feelings about Carol. Genuinely freaked out by the fight and Norm. My theory is that Sparky was always a dead dog -- they found him dirty and without a collar, and when we first see the boys at the sink, the dog is totally under water, which a live dog would not cooperate with without some splashing. When Wanda returns the drone, she takes her attention off the boys, which possibly makes them cease until she comes back, and with Billy not present, the dog reverts to a corpse.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Firebert posted:

So MCU Monica Rambeau ...but her head is full of light...

Yeah, she's whiting out the X-Ray machine or whatever scanner it is, almost as if she's emitting broad-Spectrum radiation herself. poo poo, maybe beekeeper sewer guy wasn't Swarm before but is NOW. Westview could be a convenient little White Event/Big Bang/Global Terrigen Cloud excuse for a bunch of powered people.

If Monica's engineer is RR I will immediate completely lose all of my poo poo. Oh hell they're going to be SWORD, they're the 1/4 of the original astronauts that are still dumb enough to go up.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Azhais posted:

Everyone knows the tmnt crossover is going to be on Riverdale

Thing is, it's Riverdale. The turtles, Predator, and Punisher would all be far too normal for that drat show.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Wife just had an idea -- the person in WitSec might not be a mob snitch or whatever, but a woman in some kind of galactic WitSec, hiding in Westview with her foster-son. Explains why Skrulls are on the big board, explains why West Coast agent with a specialty in hero nonsense is the agent on the spot, offers an opportunity for a story for teen Billy, and fills in the last major Young Avenger.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I'm starting to think that if there is a supernatural entity controlling Wanda, they're failing badly, and have found themselves in a tiger-by-the-tail situation. Or she's straight-up draining it, so in the big reveal of Herb, it's an emaciated Mephisto, begging for help. At most they're her drug dealer, not a nefarious puppet master.

Wanda has to be in the driver's seat here, even if someone or something else is involved.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Phylodox posted:

I’m open to being wrong about Agnes, but, honestly, I’m still not 100% convinced. It seems like such a jarring tonal and thematic left-turn to have there suddenly be a campy, mugging villain to the story. It kind of short-circuits the heart of the show. I think Agnes’ little ditty might be Wanda latching onto forcing Agnes into the villain role because that’s an easy answer and absolves her of any blame? Billy saying Agnes is “quiet inside” kind of makes me wonder if Agnes even exists at all, and isn’t somehow, like, a tangible expression of Wanda’s subconscious or something.

Oh poo poo. This is it. You're exactly right. the sheer over-the-toppery of her outfit and mugging and I KILLED SPARKY and even more so having a goofy theme: they all only make sense if "Agatha All Along" is just as much Wanda-fiat as Vision's workplace. It's just Wanda reframing her story falling apart as something being done to her.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Would a Skrull know about magic or what Wanda's powers could potentially be?

A Skrull wouldn't, but a Dire Wraith would.

Speaking of things with complex rights situations, you can see the original contract re Marvel in Universal Parks at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm even though the character schedule isn't included.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Drawing both on comics and things stated in AoU and IW, I'm assuming that Cataract has Vision's memories and knowledge, but no personality. He's, at best, running a weak version of the JARVIS program. He's powered by an arc reactor and activated by Yomagic so he's probably around OG Ultron in personal force capability (lacking the Mind Stone). HexVision has his personality, but no memories, and is some kind of combination of Yomagic and yellow Mind Stone energy (somehow residual in Wanda). Cataract is the original Vision chassis, HexVision's physical form doesn't fully exist outside the Hex.

All that said, I think the finale is going to involve Wanda and Vision fighting Cataract, everyone realizing Wanda could just shut him down if she wasn't spending so much power keeping the Hex up, and Vision telling her to let it go and focus on stopping the evil him. Hex collapses, Vision dissolves, Cataract's defeated, but Vision winds up in the Cataract chassis, "whole" again if somewhat diminished. He tells Wanda he loves her, but she used him as a toy and tortured an entire town, so they can't be together. He floats off, she's in grief for him and the boys but realizes she can't just do that again, and decides to move forward with hope and hone her powers. She knows the boys aren't really gone, somehow.

Credits stinger is teen Billy Kaplan waking up in his family's apartment, mystified to discover he has magic powers.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Alchenar posted:

The whole theme this show has been revolving around is 'how do you deal with grief?'

If it turns out the show's answer is 'just bring your loved one back to life!' that will suck immensely.

Very, that's why, if he is resurrected, he has to immediately leave Wanda. An MCU with a Vision in it who still cares for Wanda but is not with her and repulsed by her actions and a Wanda who is finally grieving her loss of Vision rather than denying it with tricks and is remorseful for her abuse of a whole town is an MCU with interesting storytelling opportunities that use two genuinely good actors.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Oasx posted:

She was also the second person in the episode, who victim blamed someone who got killed in the snap, I wonder if that is a common thing.

I'm absolutely sure it is a very big thing. We've seen it on-screen already in WV, with Haywood smarmily welcoming Monica back, and in FFH, though there it's a bit less pointed because the family unit we see were both snapped, and the rest are kids. Even if you knew it weren't their fault, and were thrilled to have them back, you would absolute resent your friends and loved ones who got to skip five lovely, depressing years, during which you probably grieved them.

You would certainly have zero patience for them second-guessing whatever hard choices you had to make during those five years.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Going to admit, Grillo in the credits completely faked me out. I didn't catch on when she said nanotech only when Natasha starts yelling about Hope. Good use of expectations, that we didn't see the actual branch point at all (after seeing it in the other two) and came in 2+ years later. Not as fun as the first two, but a really solid What-If? story, well told.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Something I liked thematically: the episode is an attack on Fridging, not from a feminist position (which goes without saying) but on the also-true basis that traumatic loss of a loved one and manpain doesn't lead to a hero, it leads to someone trapped by grief and not moving forward. Because our Strange lost his hands, he was able to learn about his own flaws (overvaluing of his skills and the need to fix everything); the Strange who lost Christine but still had all his own advantages was just lost. While he found meaning, he just traded one set of amazing skills for another, and was never forced by his physical brokenness to address his core brokenness. So instead of realizing he's not a god able to fix everything, he remains sure he can.

Really, the end of his world at his hands is only half as bad as it seems -- that Strange would never have accepted the One Outcome on Titan, and would have kept fighting until everyone there, including Tony, was dead.

I also have thoughts about the Absolute Point blablah but no one wants to hear me talk about "binding point for this sheaf of timelines," so I'll leave off.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Bleck posted:

Okay, but here's the question: is Peter Parker's apparent whiteness important to the character? Why would making him black even be considered "a change?"

If I went to another dimension where Spider-Man (2001) was the exact same movie in every single way except Tobey Maguire was a black man - and otherwise delivered the exact same performance - would the movie fundamentally be any different? Why, if so?

I've been an advocate for a few years now of bringing him in a couple of neighborhoods (Forest Hills is WAY too far out to swing) to Jackson Heights and making him Desi. It's a bit playing to stereotypes, but it's also got some letgs.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Klungar posted:

I mean, Sony’s already done it, they’re crazy. But what is actually going to happen is that it’s going to appear that Tom Holland Spider-Man has failed and then Andrew Garfield Spider-Man or Emma Stone Spider-Gwen enters the film at that moment and saves her.

If the day is saved by the arrival of composited-in CG Gwen and Miles, I will promptly go beserk (in a positive fashion).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

tsob posted:

I mean, you were already imagining a worse one by thinking "Well, she's a super spy; how can she not recognize when someone is iffy, why isn't she looking into this story about Natasha's apparent friend when there's definitely no reason that spies could ever kill each other?" etc. Why is imagining a good one harder than imagining a bad one? Why is it so hard to imagine that the end of Black Widow, in a 2 minute stinger, didn't want to devote lots of time to exposit a story about why Yelena should hunt Clint, and instead, expected you, the audience, to fill in the blanks after providing a basic framework by having Contessa talking to Yelena while implying Clint killed Natasha? A blank that isn't even hard to fill, because the basic framework is so well worn by media over the last few decades, at that.

You don't even have to imagine particularly hard she's a BLACK WIDOW! "They were besties, but then he killed her because orders" "Kill your best friend" "Your sister has betrayed you, you should kill her" are normal, everyday occurrences. Her whole arc in the movie was getting her to "maybe there are people you shouldn't kill on orders" it's more believable that she'd go "yeah, I'm sure he did, they were friends, time for blood feud" than "noooo they were friends!"

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Argue posted:

Until we see Nick Fury explicitly holding to the camera a notarized document from Kevin Feige saying Agents of SHIELD is no longer canon and never was, I'm going to continue to insist it still fits within canon because they never called Bobbi Mockingbird anywhere outside of Comic Con anyway and even if they did, it can be a title and Laura's retired

Look, Agents of SHIELD's entire last season was "gently caress you, we are going to break not only time, but the very idea of a coherent and self-consistent timeline to get us our pleasant garden for our child to play in." It is happily another dimension removed from the MCU, and that was the whole goal.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Kraven's Last Hunt and its implicit follow-up in the first arc of Spider-Man were right when I started reading comics, so they kind of define Peter for me, and I never knew until just now that it grew out of the writer having an idea for one panel (you can guess which one) and shopping it to DC and Marvel as, initially, a Batman/Joker story and then various mutations until we got what we got.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

fractalairduct posted:

I think it was probably Jake taking over at least a couple of times during episode one. Definitely for fighting those guys when Steven came back and his hands were all bloody, but it'd also be neat if they played on his profession as a cab driver and had him be the one who was doing things like driving the truck backwards.

I'm probably wrong, but I suspect we saw Jake on-screen this episode, while they're driving from the rich guy's place to the desert. It didn't sound like either Marc or Steven's accent, and he was acting just a bit different. I wonder if Jake has a different suit than the other two.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Zero One posted:

What is a god, if not a mutant persevering?

You joke; but Marvel has a whole alternate future where this is the big reveal (Earth/Universe/Paradise X).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Cythereal posted:

Interesting bit of trivia I've been reading from interviews with the cast: Scarlet Scarab was planned to be the avatar of Isis, and her suit was designed with that in mind. They changed her patron to Tawaret fairly late, after the costume was already made, when everyone involved decided that they liked Tawaret and wanted to keep her around, while also needing to avoid introduce yet another character so late in the show. Layla's actress joked that Tawaret might have a cool new idea for her costume if the character returns.

Haha I was hearing complaints that the outfit was insufficiently "hippo-y". I pointed out MK's lacks any bird motif but more fool I!
I would absolutely watch a Layla show, 90% for Taweret.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MokBa posted:

Okay, but it’s actually Doctor Strange IN the Mom.

It's really-really Dr. S VS. the Mom. Which I have come to think is intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Oh good and then this can be canon:
https://twitter.com/punished3liza/status/1528372792780988416?s=21&t=cqnboZuSqHwOUzYijDRWXA

(People are so odd I love how odd people are)