Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still going with the theory that there's an outside malevolent force like Mephisto orchestrating and empowering this and Agnes is the middle man handling Wanda. Wanda knows what she's doing but she's being manipulated and lied to in order to believe what she's doing is making everyone happy and forget little details like kids being hostages.

As for Pietro, I'm leaning towards him being kind of the result of an involuntary wish fulfillment thing. Maybe its the Twins doing it, maybe its the evil wish force, maybe the Twins ARE an extension of the evil wish force. But subconsciously Wanda got in her heard about resurrecting Pietro and this was the best thing the Hex Force could pull off.

I dunno, but I'm way way into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Herb was obviously very confused what with the cutting through the fence bit. That felt like something being wrong confusing him and breaking the control a little. Where Agnes was just chilling and speaking about the problem very clearly.

That's the thing. Other characters have had moments where the break the control or have moments of confusion or clarity but Agnes has just always seemed aware of the nature of things. She definitely seems scared but she also seems like she's encouraging the whole sitcom nature of the delusion/fantasy/whatever. I felt like that's why she became concerned during the birthing episode, because things were going off script. And it led to Wanda remembering Pietro and Monica breaking the illusion and stuff starting to fall out of control.

That feels to me like Agnes is "middle management." She's not the bad guy behind all his but she is somehow who understands the nature of things more than Wanda does but is still a bit of a prisoner of all this. That feels right to me with the Agatha Harkness as a witch making a deal with Mephisto theory but I could be seeing what I want to see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know if it will happen or not but reminder that like every actor cast to a MCU role or featured as a cameo in a film has denied it until either photo shoot images leaked or an official announcement was made. So like, Patrick Stewart might never want to play Professor X again but on the chance that the MCU did provide a reason or enough money to make it happen I wouldn't expect him to be telling us that when we ask.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spacebump posted:

Why has SWORD not contacted an Avenger yet?

I mean, we don't even know the state of the Avengers at this stage. Cap, Iron Man, and Widow are dead. Thor is offworld with the Guardians. That leaves who? Smart Hulk, Hawkeye, War Machine, and Falcon? Didn't two of them retire? Does SWORD have Spider Man's contact info? Who knows where Captain Marvel is? We won't talk about Black Panther. Is Doctor Strange even a known player? I guess that leaves Ant-Man?

I take it back. Jimmy should call Ant-Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's also the consideration that anyone they could reasonably call would probably also immediately sniff out that they were up some bullshit with Vision's body.

Yeah, shady espionage agency probably isn't inviting Avengers in after what happened with the last shady espionage agency that did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its just a basic comic book problem of "why is this comic featuring a world endangering crisis and no other heroes are called?" But its a lot easier to dismiss in the MCU where there's only like maybe a dozen heroes theoretically available and its easy to assume they're busy or the shady government agency doesn't want to call them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly thought Monica was just referring to herself when she said that, but I am happy to be wrong and it be some cool cameo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

It's worded weirdly if she means herself. It definitely reads as 'I can come up with the big picture, but I have a buddy who could do the nuts and bolts'. She was talking to Darcy about the theory, more like a physics problem than the actual practicality of building the thing.

I read it as like a "this guy" kind of comment, hence the smirk. But I can see it the other way too. I don't really know what Monica's expertise is so I just assumed since there was no followup besides her figuring out a trick to get in with the drone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Djarum posted:

I assume if you see Sin, that means that Crossbones isn't far behind. Judging on the masks I'd say that is a safe bet.
I have bad news for you on Crossbones...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a scene in Agents of SHIELD where Fitz attempts to make sense of time travel and parallel realities and just loses his poo poo because none of it makes any sense and just goes in circles and paradoxes.

That spoke to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was recently rumored that Quake would be in one of the Disney+ minis but Chloe Bennett denied it. Of course everyone denies it so who knows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

Was there any suggestion or indication from...like, anything...that Daisy was going to appear in a new show? Or was this people still just going "I bet this is how Agents of SHIELD will finally tie into the MCU!" after all this time?

I have absolutely no idea what started it. Just some rumor that caught enough steam for her to respond to. I think for Secret Invasion. That could be speculation that since its a Nick Fury series its a SHIELD series or something? Dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone denies it and are probably required to by contract.

But also there's like nothing substantial that I've seen so its just rumors swirling around and you'd deny a false rumor too.

So who knows?

But in a world where WandaVision is bringing back some obscure and not obscure characters in some crazy ways and there's all kind of rumors of crazy casting stuff out there the idea of Marvel using their really beloved star character from their own property that just ended seems like one of the saner rumors we've heard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spacebump posted:

You'd think if they were going to do it, they'd have done it by now.

The ABC show just ended and the Disney+ era has just begun. So I hardly see why now would by "they would have done it by now." Now feels about the time they might seriously consider it in a way that's easy and makes sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Agents of SHIELD was just too distant from the MCU by virtue of being on ABC and on a tv schedule. Whether or not they wanted to use Chloe Bennet or anyone else it was obviously more complicated than it is to bring in a film actor for another film. But now that they've consolidated all their programming to Disney+ and they're featuring major event stories AND random side characters all in clear MCU continuity it changes the landscape. I'm not saying Chloe Bennet will or won't show up but this is a much easier situation for her or Daredevil or whoever to be used because Marvel has more control.

She's young, gorgeous, valuable to foreign markets, has a pop career, and is beloved by fans of the show. I'd have to think someone's at least tossed the idea around of finding a place for her. And with Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion coming up they both seem like possible places she could fit. So we'll have to wait and see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My bad, I was going by what the other poster said.

I still think the other stuff holds true. She's young, already has a character and fanbase, is very marketable. So in a world where we're hearing rumors about Daredevil and crossovers from other universes on the regular and WandaVision played the card it did, it seems at least plausible that her name has come up at Marvel Studios.

But who the hell knows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm surprised people thought that the MiTM stuff didn't work for them. It was extremely on point for me. Like the other episodes were cute, but had to be pretty broad. This one had to work more stylistically and I thought the camera work, the music, and some of the jokes were perfect.

I dug it. They committed to the idea (which should be no surprise considering the whole gimmick is commitment) and it made me laugh.

People gonna hate Modern Family next week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gavok posted:

I'm guessing next week is going to be the last real sitcom episode. I figure we'll see Wanda hit her limits and we'll get a big reveal about the unseen threat in all of this. Then episode 8 will be a prequel episode explaining how Wanda got to Westview while episode 9 will be the epic conclusion.

Yeah, my best guess would be that next episode will be the last sitcom as Vision continues to confront Wanda to wake up (as well as Monica's friend being revealed and probably a cliffhanger with who the bad guy is). Then my guess is the penultimate episode is a flashback where we find out how this really happened and maybe expand on the two "new" characters (Monica's scientist, Big Bad). Then a big finale episode that's more straight MCU.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

Rolling my eyes at Darcy becoming a super hacker (was she in the movies),
In Thor she's a political science major who doesn't know what's going on. In Thor 2 I think they imply that she's actually been learning from Jane between films but she's not in a lot of it. Its been like 10 years since then so really she could become accomplished at just about anything over that span of time. She could have shown up as an rear end kicking spy and my response would have been "that's kinda weird but I dunno what's she's been doing for the last decade."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

eke out posted:

yeah that's what dennings said in something i saw her on, just like yeah after seeing everything that happened with jane foster, she probably changed her major and plans

Yeah, it seems entirely plausible that given her experiences with Thor and Asgardians, relationship with two of the leading most astrophysicists on the planet, and inevitable association with SHIELD that her life path would shift in that direction and 10 years later she'd be an expert herself. Its at least as plausible as the idea that she should be the same person she was 10 years ago. Ultimately if you're bringing back a side character who hasn't been used in 8 years whatever you do is gonna feel a little forced because we missed a lot of her story.

I'm waiting for a conversation that goes:

Darby: You know Captain Marvel?
Monica: Yeah, she and my mom were real close. She was like a big sister to me.
Darby: That's so cool. I used to hang out with Thor. He dated my old boss.
Jimmy:.. I know Ant-Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I feel like we're not really gonna get one official big bad guy. My theory is Wanda will bear some responsibility, Agnes will bear some, SWORD will bear some, and maybe at the very end of the series they'll tease Mephisto or something as having been the force behind all of it but not one they fight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My personal interpretation is that Wanda started the whole mess before Agatha was drawn to it. So Agatha cam seeking the source of all this magical power and the secrets to how Wanda's doing what she's doing, affecting the whole TV concept and "Pietro" and encouraging Vision to push the boundaries all to manipulate Wanda and try and get more out of her. Wanda still hasn't told her, Pietro, or anyone else how this happened so I assume there's still a 3rd party unrevealed and I'm still assuming its some kind of Devil/Nick Scratch/Mephisto type player. I dunno who Pietro is but "from another universe" still makes sense to me with the stuff we know is coming from the MCU and now the show mentioning The Nexus. I don't expect Wanda to say "More Mutants" or Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds to show up, but it makes sense that the Infinity Stones and time travel shenanigans made a crack, Wanda widened it, and it will keep getting bigger.

Also I don't think Monica's friend is anyone. That line never struck me as super significant. I think we just built it up. But we'll see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Felt like some rando military guys producing a custom special alloy moon rover in like a few days stretches credulity unless they're special

I mean I assume they're SWORD and high up the ranks or something but I'm not expecting some last minute big drop. It doesn't really seem like it fits and it hasn't really been built up much. We just kind of know nothing about SWORD right now so I can't say it is or isn't weird that Monica could call up a small platoon with a space car. Maybe that's what SWORD does? I dunno.

But I certainly could be wrong.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 19, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

On this, I disagree. We had two episodes of Monica going "I think I know someone!" while all but winking at the camera.

I mean... I get why people interpret it that way. I do see what you're seeing. When she was like "Lets go over the ridge to meet my guy" and then the episode ended I was like "Oh, who's her guy?" But we didn't get a big reveal, we got a perfectly reasonable case of loyal SWORD agents of no particular significance to us. So I'm kind of chalking it up to jumping at shadows. Because realistically it was like 2 lines that weren't delivered with a ton of drama.

But again... we're running out of time so we'll find out soon enough.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TinTower posted:

Hopefully they slow the MCU output when the Star Wars limited series start up because it still feels a little relentless. I don't mind half an hour every Friday morning, but any more than that and people will start falling behind. I imagine networks have stuck to the "three blocks of 6-to-8 episodes" formula to hack the sweeps weeks for that reason.

Falcon/Winter Soldier debuts right after WandaVision finishes and Loki is scheduled for around the end of Falcon/Winter Soldier. And there's at least one more show scheduled for 2021. So it looks like that for the foreseeable future you can pencil in 1 episode of MCU a week.

edit: What If?, Hawkeye, and Ms Marvel all scheduled for 2021 to be precise.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 19, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume that ultimately Star Wars and Marvel would be two different streams for Disney+ that can run concurrently. There's overlap in the audiences but there's more than enough unique viewers of both that it makes sense to want to have both draws going.

I mean I don't know if Star Wars has as much content in the pipeline since I'm not one of those crossover fans. But I don't think its like an HBO thing where you can't start the new Marvel show until you finish the last season of Mandalorian.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vision sticks around but he's the colorless no personality Vision and instead some guy named Simon shows up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

I actually liked how they did things in the MCU. You got the impression that stuff was happening in-between movies. Stuff like Tony & Pepper, the friendship developing between all the Avengers, Vision & Wanda. It kind of felt like old Law & Order episodes where you'd get to kind of feel around the edges of the central characters' lives through throwaway lines, like Jack's alcoholism or Lenny's failing marriage, but they were never the center of any episode.

Yeah, I didn't really mind them glossing past relationship building. I mean I understand why people might not be invested in it because its new and they're not feeling it. But I thought Olsen really sold the tragedy of what she was being asked to do and give up in Infinity War. I find it odd that people are just now recognizing it after Vision and Darcy matter of factly spell it out.

But obviously the 4 hours we've spent with them through this series has us way more invested than the 30-60 minutes or whatever across Civil War/Infinity War.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They even announced that it had been cancelled three months before it ever aired. And the earlier mentioned Squirrel Girl series was never produced, there was just the filmed pilot that even Freeform passed on.

They basically had a bunch of stuff planned with Hulu, Netflix, Freeform, etc and then all at once the situation changed and they moved everything to Disney+. And in that moment they cancelled everything they had going elsewhere to self contain things. But Helstrom was already made so like... there it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpret the MCU's handling of magic as a big lampshade. Every once and awhile someone will go "well its energies drawn from another dimension through sciences not fully understood by humans..." but then a wizard laughs at them and does magic and they move on.

I admit a lot of that comes from Agents of SHIELD where it just kind of became a running gag for the nerd to try and come up with a convoluted rational scientific explanation when a hell demon kills some ghosts. But I felt like that was how they basically handled it in Doctor Strange too where Strange himself is kind of all "so its a science and blah blah" until the wizards just dismiss and mock him.

So basically I hope WandaVision ends with Darcy coming up with a long, nonsensical, sciencey explanation for what happened and then Wong shows up and laughs at her before taking back his book.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 24, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't get why everyone is trying to make Dottie a thing for WandaVision. Its just one of a bunch of small characters we've seen but who haven't been build up bigger at all. It would be weird if the show suddenly said "Hey, remember this random character we haven't given a meaningful scene or line in like 2 months? They're hugely important."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Very uncomfortable holocaust metaphors aside...

The idea that the show would reveal a villain right before the penultimate episode that has been there all along and makes sense only as a swerve that she's secretly the hero of the story seems like an iffy theory/idea from a storytelling idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone posted:

Or she's pretty much been a red herring this whole time and the showrunners did what they did because they were hoping people would think "Anya the Vengeance Demon from Buffy can't possibly be mostly irrelevant to all this."
I'd even suggest that maybe its just a small meta laugh, like casting Debra Jo Rupp as a background character we haven't seen since the beginning. The whole show has been meta references to old tv so maybe someone thought it would be funny to throw an actress from an old supernatural show into their one.

Alternatively its even possible that nearly 20 years after Buffy went off the air its supporting characters aren't really registering that way in casting decisions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone posted:

I think that first point is valid. The second one... I don't know. Joss Whedon wrote and directed the first two Avengers movies and created the Agents of SHIELD TV show. That's some pretty hefty (if relatively early) involved in some Marvel. Figure there might be some heightened awareness of her because of that.

Yeah but Whedon's fallen out with MCU for awhile even before all his current troubles and I don't remember him getting any of the other Buffy people in roles? Maybe I forgot some?

I mean I'm sure when casting her someone knew her resume. I just don't know how much that matters.

howe_sam posted:

Emma Caulfield also starred in Timer, which Jac Shaeffer wrote and directed. And I believe Caulfield has said that Shaeffer asked her to be on the show, so Shaeffer's doing Caulfield a solid by giving her a cameo, or there are plans for Dottie.

That I didn't know and makes sense, but again could just be the creator getting a friend or reliable actress or something into a small role or a gag or anything. I don't think Caulfield is nearly a big enough deal to HAVE to be a bigger role than she appears to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It honestly seems like it would be kind of annoying if the episode after "Agatha All Along" they went "nah, kidding, fakeout."

There's definitely room for someone above both Wanda and Agatha and whether that someone will factor into the finale or not I do think they'll be revealed by the end of the season. But I think its safe to say Agatha's not secretly altruistic if only becaus that would be a dumb rear end thing to do right after revealing her as a cackling dog killing kidnapping villain.

I think there's room for her be a Loki like character though. Not the ultimate bad guy, just an opportunist, too much fun to completely hate if she shows up later to help Wanda or Strange or someone when it suits her needs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think that's another side of it. The need to have every character who remotely stands out be a player in this intrusion kind of takes away from the fact that there's hundreds of victims and at least a few of them should be somewhat memorable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy loving poo poo SWORD made monotone personalityless Vision!

What an episode.

twistedmentat posted:

Uh did we straight up see Comics Wanda there? Like it looked straight up like Marvel Now Scarlet Witch in silhouette

Seems like some kinda cross dimensional/time/witch fate encounter with "The Scarlet Witch". Whatever the hell Agatha meant by that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think if anyone expected this thing to end with Wanda as a full blown villain they were deluding themselves.

She's obviously got guilt and she's wrestled with it pretty overtly. Pietro and Vision have both directly called it out to her. She's probably going to have to suffer more loss for this to end and a lot of people will be sympathetic to her pain and forgiving. Some probably won't because what she did was wrong. But presuming everyone on the outskirts of town didn't starve to death and she doesn't go psychotic in the last act I'm comfortable with the likelihood that she ends up on "house arrest" with Strange or something. Are you gonna stick the most powerful person on the planet in Super Max? There's a potential interesting story there Marvel's done a few times in comics (Sentry, Justice) but the Strange route makes sense but from what we know and how the MCU world is setup. SWORD clearly is unequipped to deal with her from a tactical or ethical perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

QuoProQuid posted:

"slap on the wrist" was extremely bad phrasing on my part so my apologies there. however, i guess if i walked into a supermarket with a gun and forced everyone to play a part in my self-penned malcolm in the middle fan fiction, people probably wouldn't be able to use depression and loneliness as an excuse.

i really just want the show to acknowledge that being hurt doesn't entitle you to hurt other people and that wanda's actions, no matter how rooted in trauma they might be, are not acceptable. there's a difference between empathizing with what someone has done and condoning it and the show has seemed to veer pretty heavily toward the latter.

idk. i think part of my problem is i hoped the show would stay tonally the same as it was in the first three episodes.

Well the situation you described would be premeditated. Wanda clearly didn't know what she was doing when she started, although clearly she gradually came to terms with it. But based on everything we saw it feels like she only really came to full understand the nature and ethical problems of the hex as we did. And I think the show has gone to great lengths to show us Wanda's growing guilt about this in her confrontations with Vision and Pietro, as well as her whole thing this episode before Agatha reveals herself.

So if Wanda actively chooses to sacrifice her husband and sons to free everyone I think that goes a long way. I don't think it would lead to everyone forgiving her. SWORD would still probably still see her as a threat, the people of Westview would be angry and scared, and anyone who finds out would be scared of what Wanda might do next. But short of locking her up or turning her into a villain, sending her on magic retreat/therapy/house arrest with Strange feels about the best solution.