Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Boxman posted:

setting aside whether any monarchy is ever okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

It's Dr. Doom and they're getting married, OTP

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm just so tired of all these infinity stones.

Well, I actually always loved them in the comics and it was always awesome when they would show up and Hickman's Infinity and the MCU movies were great recent infinity stone romps. But despite being part of the fundamental fabric of the universe or whatever, it's also nice that they stay lost or put away for years at a time and no one really thinks about them.

Maybe they'd like to tie up loose ends about the current state of the stones but it seems kind of weird to me to have them persistently "powering" different people's abilities.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

If they aren't putting Doop in the movies then why even bother making them?

They need to start putting Doop in the background of every MCU movie so in a few years they can redo Wolverine and the X-Men #17 on one of the TV shows.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

OK I'm a terrible person because I burst out laughing when Wanda's family blew up during TV night, but in my defense it reminded me of this

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1208174810066350080

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If I were watching this show two years ago I would probably feel a lot more strongly about people's right to free will and not being trapped in some sort of dream world but at this point I'm honestly begging for a witch to turn me into a sitcom shenanigans zombie.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I figure YA will happen eventually, but I don't think there's any rush to do it.

I wonder who else they'll bring into Young Avengers since they definitely need more young superheroes. You have Billy and Tommy, Kate is getting fleshed out in the Hawkeye series... Hulking is an obvious choice and his relationship with Billy is very well-received, but he's got a very comicsy convoluted setup so I'd be curious to see how/where they introduce him. Maybe whoever takes over for Iron Man will be the new Iron Lad or maybe they'll merge it with Riri. I would also love if Loki led us into some Kid Loki shenanigans but that's another pretty convoluted thing to set up, unless it's just a simpler reincarnation into a teen body.

I guess you could also throw Kamala into the mix even though it's not a comics thing.

edit: oh, totally forgot about Cassie too

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

My girl Agatha got done dirty. She deserves to be chilling at her own lakeside cabin trying to put her life back together.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I think you're probably supposed to walk away with the idea that, yes, Falcon has refused to sell his image or to do commercials for major corporations. He probably could. Hell he could probably set up a signing and charge 50 bucks for anautograph, 100 for a picture, 200 for a handshake and walk away with multiple thousand.

Not everyone wants to do that or be seen as that.

someone please photoshop one of the sad Virgil convention photos with Falcon instead

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

i love you

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Very amused by Bucky getting beaten up and insulted and arrested for a parole violation all in a day's work. I'm excited to see if Renner channels more Hawkguy in his upcoming show but current Bucky is a pretty fun substitute.

I really want to see old man Isaiah go hog wild on some jabronis. I had read that he was cast but for some reason I completely overlooked that they could/would also introduce Patriot, despite all the recent talk about possible Young Avengers.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

what is flag smashing even, it's a floppy piece of cloth, how are you supposed to smash that :jerry:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If they keep pumping out more and more material it just becomes sort of like how canon is in the actual comics. Until now it's still been mostly a linear series of films so it's hard to compare it to the hundreds of comic book issues that come out to pick and choose from, but there are Marvel readers who just don't read X-Men books or Spider-Man books or cosmic books or whatever. But then an event will come along that's X-Men vs. Avengers or something and an Avengers reader will definitely pick that up.

They're usually pretty good about spelling out big plot changes like alignment shifts or different people picking up mantles but a lot of times you just deal with vague context clues and realize that you'll have to go read another comic if you want to know why Hulk is acting like that now or whatever. I think this has also really dovetailed with internet culture and the wiki obsessions where everyone is constantly trying to keep up to date or learn the history of these fictional worlds and they're willing to do it completely separate from actually reading a comic. Which in this case is to say a lot of people who don't feel like watching the MCU shows will still probably learn about everything that happens in them without a film recap.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

They just posted a mid-season trailer, mostly dialogue over old footage but a couple new shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQSHrgjayz8

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

It airs at 7pm here in NZ :smug:

Don’t you have to live through Friday first? That sounds like a lot of extra hassle to watch my show.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Sam using his wings to make a support bipod when he’s blocking with the shield is super rad.

That’s all.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

the single most defining characteristic of steve rogers is that he kept getting up after taking an rear end whipping tho

I really thought we were going to get some sort of oblique "I can do this all day" reference when Karli tells him to stay down and he says "No."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

It is a very Black (American?, can't speak for the others in the diaspora) thing.

I have people I didn't know weren't actually related to me until late teens/adulthood who I call Aunt and Uncle, who babysat me/were always at family functions.

White people had Uncle Joey on Full House, they have no excuses.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Was there a reason Sharon was wearing that nano mask thing? Just to show us that she's in deep cover?

I forgot those were a thing in the MCU and if they exist it's weird that all spies aren't using them constantly like Mission Impossible.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

In the comics it literally starts as a burkini that she was gifted as a teen but then never wore. She modifies it to be a disguise/supersuit.

It's a fairly blank slate type of one-piece costume, some have more flowing components and are more dress-like than others in the middle, but they are more form-fitting underneath and in the arms/legs.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Kamala's real superpower is spunk and love of superheroes being heroes. It's good and fun when she gets to use her powers and actually save the day herself, but most of what I love about her character is just her enthusiasm for being Avengers-adjacent and for helping out the oppressed and the underdogs.

It's actually a little close to how MCU Spidey is so far since they decided to make him younger and a big Stark fan, so it'll be interesting to see how they do her differently. Maybe they'll lean hard into her superhero nerding out, though I can see it being a fine line to tread between fun and annoying.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Did this ever get posted in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zmBRG5w2g

Daniel Brühl is the best.

edit: oh, it's from an episode of Assembled

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I figure it's just like that Rick and Morty quote. Someone out there is always trying to blow up the universe. If you're immortal it's probably just NBD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcprBCaU34U

Marvel please put BD Wong in the MCU, unite the Wongs

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

When you turn the pen upside-down a sexy pinup of Mephisto appears.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Rhody variant comes from a universe where 1x1=2

There is only one infinity stone in that universe and it is the Time Cube.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I adore Gugu Mbatha-Raw but I hope she gets more to do next season. Her going off somewhere and maybe the reveal of her original does seem to imply that she still has a role to play. I know the show's whole plotline was someone pulling all the strings in the background and she just plays her part in that, but her authority and naivety make her more unlikable than most of the other characters and she never really takes any interesting action on her own, either villainous or heroic (I guess the Mobius/Loki pruning is her big moment, but even that is just sort of a bureaucratic "what else can I do?").

I hope she is either revealed to be more in bed with Kang than she let on or decides to break out of the system and do her own thing. Gimme the Terminatrix, time tramp.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I just saw someone point out that in ep5 when Classic Loki casts the illusion to get out of the mass Loki fight and you see Kid Loki throwing Alligator Loki into the mix... they're doing 'Get Help!' :v:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

Next up: Lucky the Pizza Dog from Hawkeye.

Hell I only own like 2 or 3 action figures but I went out of my way to get the Legends Hawkeye that came with the dog. I remember buying it at the Disney store like a week before AoU came out and the lady there was like, “Oh, big fan of Hawkeye from those Marvel movies?”. And I had to point at the box and say, “no look, it comes with the dog :3:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Early reports say she will be Titania but there’s no official Marvel word on who the character is yet.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

That really threw me off but it can’t be right. Huge character in each Thor movie and main villain in The Avengers and that’s a lot of screen time.

Luckily the MCU is huge enough that someone is definitely broken-brained enough to keep track of this poo poo.

MCU character screen times up to Far From Home

It's basically an hour and a half actually, he gets like 20 minutes of screentime in the Thors and Avengers each and about 5 minutes in Infinity War/Endgame.

Someone made a chart too

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Took me a bit to figure out what Monica's accessory was. I thought it was one of those Wile E Coyote dynamite plungers.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

A lot of people are saying "I told you so" because apparently this was in a rumor drop months ago

The people with inside info say the first three are definitely true based on things coming out but nothing has proven the last two yet. If you don't want to read more possible spoilers then the relevant one is that she can still embiggen, she just also has the constructs. Unclear if embiggen also means stretch or if it's more limited.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

You can kinda cheat the Hawkguy character a little bit by leaning into the world-weary and done-with-this-poo poo aspect of it and Renner has done that well. I don't think he needs to be incompetent necessarily, but put him in situations where he's out of his element and you get some of that energy. You can put him in situations he doesn't really want to be in, but knows he has to do what's right, that's basically the apartment building plot in the comics. You can beat him up some through no real fault of his own. That plus the dad-energy of dealing with a girl and a dog is getting close.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Probably She-Hulk

There haven't been any Tatiana Maslany She-Hulk pics yet, have there? I know there have been a couple of Portman pictures that seem to indicate that she might be getting swole for Thor.

I'm not sure how to finish this post without being too thirsty so, uh... I'm here for it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I'm actually slightly worried about the opposite, that it will be too canon-y, if that even makes any sense. I know that in the comics these are all ostensibly things that actually happened in some random universe, but with the build-up to Multiverse of Madness I've seen a lot of speculation that certain What If versions might eventually make their way into the main universe or will at least have ongoing adventures and/or crossovers with other multiverse characters (see also the speculation that this season ends with some sort of massive team-up including Uatu).

I guess it'll be easier to tell once more episodes come out, but I always liked that What If was allowed to highlight failures or other extreme events without really worrying about ever needing to follow up on it. I'm not disappointed that Captain Carter gets a relatively happy and open-ended conclusion, but I hope they don't all end with "and now alternate so-and-so is established in their world and their adventures will continue!"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

There was also an Ultimates story where they found a dead Galactus, I think. Hard to say really, since I've tried very hard to forget as much of the Ultimates as possible.

The first thing I thought of was actually the dead Galactus from Hickman's run but then I spent forever trying to work out what the actual plotline was before realizing that there are TWO dead Galactuses and one is way more confusing that the other.

The first one is basically an inconsequential part of the dumb Nu-World plot, which is kind of just strewn throughout the early Hickman run and the Fantastic Force miniseries. It's all very meandering in the comics but pretty succinctly explained in this panel.

It doesn't really go anywhere in terms of him and the FF, but the reveal of the dead Galactus and Reed's knowledge of it is memorable even if not much else about Nu-World is.

The other dead Galactus moment that I conflated this with is like the coolest moment of Hickman's whole run. Actually, I'm not even sure if he dies, but he gets hosed up big time by the Mad Celestials.

Their whole fight is rad but it's the Franklin Richards moment it sets up in the next issue that is an all-timer. You know what it is and if you don't then go read Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF right now. Every time people talk about adapting his Avengers or Secret Wars I'm like, slow down baby, we got a whole tome of FF bullshit to do first.

But yeah, it's probably just something from the zombie episode. I think the real point of this post is that whoever turned Galactus into a magic cloud is a heathen of the highest order, give me massive space luchadors going ape on each other.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Boseman is down for 4 episodes

Although for this one I imagine that they are not all the same version. I'm all for continuity but it'd be a boring What If series if that were the case.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I honestly never knew so many people gave a poo poo about Mephisto until this year when people wouldn't stop bringing him up.

I wish there was online betting on which characters will be mentioned/appear in upcoming movies. I just want to see the odds. Then I can know when the time is right to start pushing Mister Sinister theories nonstop.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

DC does Elseworlds but that's usually less of a multiverse diverging at critical moments thing and just straight up imagines a new universe with whatever details they want changed.

If the story you're talking about was more than just Batman, it's probably Justice Riders. It's a fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

RIP Battlestar, you died for nothing :911: