Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I honestly thought she was one of the twins for the longest time

Which one did you think she was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

tsob posted:

The current leading theory is that Kang the Conqueror will be the next big villain, since apparently the next Ant-Man & The Wasp film has Kang as a character, and he is often depicted as someone hard to defeat since he can hop through time freely, with several different versions of him around at any one time on multiple occasions. I could see them doing Galactus as the next big thing too, now that the Fantastic Four are becoming a part of the MCU at some point in the next few years. As is, I think they'd probably make even full on Celestials more akin to humans the way they re-did Ego as a human wandering around but tied to a planetary body.

I have the opposite hope, that Kang is going to get chumped by Ant-Man and we'll never have to hear from him again.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Nerdietalk posted:

Honestly, that’s not the first time I’ve watched a show and noticed someone getting into a car and then only hearing the sound of a car driving by, but not the visual of it. I gotta assume there’s some kind of cost-saving reason for it.

They have limited amount of time and it's better spent focusing on the characters that matter. Showing the car drive off doesn't actually accomplish anything, it just wastes time. Showing the two important characters talking moves the plot forward.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Mickey Mouse himself.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Everyone posted:

I think it's more that this is kind of a "holodeck" universe. Wanda can wield some degree of the power of the Stones but she isn't a full-on living Infinity Gauntlet. The thing in Vision's head looks like the Mind stone and might have some of its powers, but it's not the real thing. The full set of Stones could affect everything everywhere. Wanda can affect... an area the size of a smallish town. Within that smallish town she's basically God, but she can't push things further than that without leaving that area. And she can likely only leave that area for very short periods of time without the whole place collapsing.

Except Wanda's power does affect things further. Jimmy Woo mentions that when he contacted the associates and relatives of the witness that's gone missing, none of them had ever heard of him. And the cops from Eastview denied the existence of their neighbouring town, even as they stood on the road leading right to that town.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Those other universes continue to exist with altered history. The negative consequences of not giving back the stone to the Ancient One are Dormammu would beat Doctor Strange and rule that universe.

Bruce borrowing the Time Stone from the Ancient One and Steve returning it doesn't create another universe because that is how that sequence of events has always happened.

Loki grabbing the Tesseract and escaping though, now that's a split universe.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Phylodox posted:

That’s the same universe, so it’s moot.

True, but my point is that the temporary removal of the Time Stone doesn't actually do anything because it has always happened.

Something needs to actually change, such as Loki escaping, for a split to happen.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Am I the only one pessimistic enough to think this whole Pietro thing isn't going to lead to anything? I'm betting it will turn out to be just what it appears on the surface. The same character from Avengers coupled with a cute joke about sitcoms recasting actors. People here have a lot of cool theories, but I'm guessing whatever Marvel actually does isn't going to be nearly as good. Ditto with Monica's engineer friend. I just get the feeling that Wandavision wasn't intended to be this big a deal. Covid 19 turned the whole world on it's head, and due to being the only one ready to release, Wandavision got thrust into the spotlight. I hope I'm wrong and something cool like mutants or the fantastic four comes from this, but I just don't see it.

My theory is that Wanda's desire to have his brother back caused her magic to force some random guy in Westview to be "cast" as Pietro, but because of how potent her magic is the guy will retain the speedster powers after all is said and done, and becomes the new Quicksilver.

Evan Peters plays Quicksilver in the MCU, but not Pietro Maximoff.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

So what's everyone's updated Evan Peters theories?

Still going with the "it's just a random townsperson who got magically cast into the role of Pietro", but instead of Wanda's powers accidentally/subconsciously doing it, it was Agatha all along. As for why, I guess Agnes is trying to figure out the source of Wanda's powers. He was asking very probing questions in the last episode.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

How old are they in the Halloween episode? 8? 10?

By the end of the recent episode, they're watching Yo Gabba Gabba and look 5 or 6.

I think the everything going backwards/rewind thing was happening to them.

They're played by the same actors in both the Halloween episode and the recent episode, they look the exact same. If they were meant to look younger, they would've used the younger actors from episode 5.

Andrew Verse fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 23, 2021

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It’s less that, especially since their theory was shown to be wrong, and more that preventing the snap makes Tony’s daughter cease to exist. Which he very understandably won’t even consider.

Not just Tony's daughter. Every living creature that has been born in those last five years would cease to exist. It would be mass murder on galactic scale, which is why the heroes don't do that.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of Jimmy, remember his person in witness protection? Are we supposed to remember?

At most, it'll be a fun little "oh hey it's that guy from the comics" cameo, but it's never been presented as important. It's just what got Jimmy and Monica involved in the situation.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

live with fruit posted:

It feels like a lot of the reasons why littles teases don't pay off (like this, and the engineer) are that they were just there to push the story along but that's bad writing. Obviously, it could turn out that this things actually pay off but if not, it feels like cheap puzzlebox tricks that'll bring down the overall quality of the show.

I never saw the witness as a tease. It's a story beat to explain why Jimmy is there. If there is something more to it (like an eastern egg or something) then that's fine; but if not, it still served its function and that's fine too.

The engineer thing was weird, though. That definitely seemed like a tease, and then it was just some randos. Who may or may not be skrulls. But even then we only know, like, one skrull by name, so unless it's that guy specifically they're just some rando skrulls, so still randos.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

in the fourth episode, woo talks about how the fbi lost contact with its witness three weeks ago. there's a bunch of scenes from inside the hex in the background of SWORD's headquarters that we never see in full, which i think heavily implies that there's at least a few "episodes" between the wandavision episodes we see.

so, i think the best case scenario is that the hex was around for a month in the real world? probably much, much longer if you take SWORD seriously when they say that they watched enough episodes to identify each and every person inside the Hex and their role in the show.

No, the three weeks was a reference to Monica being back at the job after being de-Snapped ("It's been three weeks and you're the first to report."). Woo's witness went missing "this morning", i.e. the same day that the scene where he and Monica meet.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would assume that they’re going to meet up fairly quickly in episode 2. I very much expect it to open with Bucky watching the new Captain America reveal and having a bad moment, followed by him and Sam both heading to investigate the new guy and meeting up because of that.

I'd imagine they'll meet up because Sam thinks Bucky might be the new guy.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

Why would he think that?

Because they have a bit of an adversarial relationship, Steve's not around to make sure Bucky stays on the straight and narrow, and Bucky is ghosting him.

Seems like an easy leap to thinking it could be Bucky and checking in on him.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The guy looks like someone stole Cap’s helmet from the Smithsonian and stuck it on Dopey. Sam would have to be legally blind to mistake him for Bucky, a man with normal ears and a face that doesn’t resemble the old guy from Up.

Oh, by "new guy" I thought the conversation was about the Flag Smasher with super strength and long dark hair, not new Cap. Sorry, bad reading comprehension on my part.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think this might actually be why the show came out after Wandavision, if they originally filmed with Black Panther/Chadwick Boseman and ended up reshooting every scene he was meant to be in that would along with COVID really slow their production down.

I don't think they'd do Chadwick like that, deleting his last performance as the Black Panther.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

The thing with Zemo's mask was a little awkward tbh. What is it supposed to...mean? He just happens to own a purple thing and he puts it on and then takes it off. What's the point of it?

It's so they can have a stunt double do action stuff.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Yes I'm aware, but "he wears it in the comics" is a very shallow reason for this character to be dressed up like a CW villain here. The MCU has generally been pretty good about giving meaningful reasons for characters to don their iconic costumes, but there doesn't seem to be even a token excuse for this look. That's why I said it was awkward.

He seemed to have a moment when he noticed the mask, and when he reached out for it he briefly held his hand on it as if in reverence, so there's a decent chance it'll come up later in the series.

Personally, I think it's an executioner's mask. The Zemos of old could've started out as executioners for some king or another, eventually got granted titles and land, and the mask is some kind of ancestral family heirloom. But we'll see if/when Sam asks him what's up with the mask (Bucky doesn't care).

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Who was the second villain in Iron Man 2? All I remember is the Whip Guy.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Ravel posted:

Isaiah was very clear about going public with his story, to the extent that he thought his life would be at risk. So I thought that bit was odd.

His objection was to telling people he was still alive. What was put in the museum was a memorial to a dead man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Kal-L posted:

After seeing some more of Lady Loki/Sylvie I've started to suspect that she's not a Loki variant .

It could be she's a sister to Loki in another timeline, and she's called a variant because she's not supposed to exist in the main timeline.

What I got from this episode is that she used to be Loki. The Time Crime/Variant Event was when her parents (presumably Odin and Frigga) decided to tell her she's adopted (which they don't do in other time lines).

This makes the TVA interfere, Sylvie escapes somehow, and ends up as a wanted Time Criminal, even though the actual "Time Crime" was a decision her parents made, not her.

She also says that she's been on the run for her entire life, and has only dream-like memories of her mother, implying that all of this happened when she was much, much younger. And as Thor and Loki are 1,500-years-old, that's potentially over a thousand years for her to live her life as Sylvie, a hunted criminal, instead of Loki, a princess and a goddess.

She's biologically Loki, but as a person she's not. But all the TVA cares is who you were born as.