Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

Wow, they have full dubbing in Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. It's hilarious watching this in Japanese somehow.

They've been dubbing the Disney+ Originals in a bunch of languages for countries where they've not launched yet for a while (Mandalorian S1 doesn't have Japanese dub, S2 does) - weirdly a lot of languages with a dub but no subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I hope the next two episodes are longer than 30 minutes. This one was good but with the credits and intro graphics, still under 30 minutes.

I wonder if they are done with the sitcom part now. The end of this one really has me wanting to see the last two quick. So many questions left.

Given that ending song there's some places they could definitely go with "sitcom parts" still

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

You saw the TV series, then? I wouldn't be shocked if the entire budget for 20 episodes didn't exceed $2m.

The Mortal Kombat TV show probably cost a fair amount of money for the time, it was the first to be produced from start to end in 1080(i) - or 1125i as it was described at the time (MUSE counted all the lines that aren't displayed)
NHK cofunded it because they wanted content for their HD channel (which was broadcasting for ~4 hours a day due to lack of content)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Right I'm saying that the Mortal Kombat TV show almost certainly cost a lot of money to make because they were invented the production workflow as they made the show. The SFX looked like poo poo, yeah, but they were being done at full HD, not SD, which automatically makes things more expensive, particularly given the time it was being made. There's loads of stuff from the 90s that was using cutting edge technology that just aged so fast so hard because the state of the art was moving so fast.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Spacebump posted:

This makes much more sense, I was really confused if it was the 90s MK show. Thanks!

Nah it was Conquest that was made in HD - for Japan, as I said. NHK was doing HD broadcasting since the early 90s. I know it's not available in HD but there's a fair amount of stuff that was made in HD that's only available in SD. Europe had a similar standard, part of D2-MAC, but no one wanted to use it and Astra satellites didn't have the requirement so it died out. If you're thinking "wait, does that mean US broadcast standards are backwards AF even though NAB has shitloads of money?" then yes you'd be right ( Check out why NAB deliberately picked an inferior digital broadcasting system for the USA, it's hilarious)

Babylon 5, which started in 1994, was "supposed" be provided to WB by the makers in a widescreen HD format (it's why all the live action shots are 16:9 safe unlike Buffy or The Wire or w/e) though that requirement seems to have gotten lost by the time they were doing CG / compositing, people were absolutely preparing for 16:9 HDTV well before you had a set / thought about it. The first time I saw 8K HDTV was in 2003 (also several different types of 3DTV, from the stereoscopic glasses stuff that came and went to "true" 3D depth field projectors that are still cutting edge)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 16, 2021

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

"We've gone on holiday by mistake"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

eke out posted:

personally im so disappointed in this Taskmaster versus the one in the tv show that makes people perform tasks

Greg Davies has already done a better job [than Marvel, I'm not blaming the actor, they had NOTHING to work with] of playing a supervillain, in Teen Titans Go To The Movies

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

He’s nothing without little Alex Horne.

The infuriating thing is that Greg Davies has already played a supervillain in a DC movie.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

swickles posted:

Probably because of the violence and swearing. Doubt Disney wants it on the Disney+ platform.

Disney+ outside the US includes Star, which is where they have all the adult content. It was announced as coming to Disney+ the same week as Hulu so there's definitely something going on.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Also, we know that everybody looks the same across the multiverse. Charlie Cox is probably just what Daredevil looks like.

When the film he appears in has 3 radically different looking Peters Parker? That's your take?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

I had no idea who the actor that shows up during the Eternals end credits was, but recognized the character he was playing.

Just now, months later, I read an article mentioning his potential second appearance in Guardians 3 and recognized the name.

Googling his name literally brings up an article listing him as one of the 10 most famous people in the world under 30.

Time to start yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Not getting more specific, just in case some people still want to go in to 4-month old Eternals end credit scenes blind.

I also just realized that Blade was in Eternals and is rumored to be in Moon Knight. There doesn't seem to be any proof, but the same places leaked/nailed Kingpin, Quicksilver, and the multiple Spideys months before they came out, so they have a good track record.

Do you work at ESPN on their subtitles team?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tsob posted:

I've never watched, or even heard of, any sport where competitors regularly move so fast they actually blur on camera.

Sports aren't filmed at 24fps as a rule

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

kazil posted:

Flashback talk reminds me of Jupiter's Legacy. That show spent the entire season doing half modern day and half flashback and boy golly was it boring as poo poo. I think I read somewhere that the entire first season spanned two issues of the comic.

Not even that, it was just the first issue they covered. Absolutely baffling story telling decision

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Seriously though, Feige must have balls so massive they are singularities to bring back Anson Mount

what Mount?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The (brief) stretchy stuff in Multiverse of Madness was super uncanny valley, and that was with a movie budget (like how disturbing the movie Hulk CG is if he's in human skin tones not green)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

And holy poo poo, Disney going all in on showing the pain and distress of the Partition. The house of mouse really said "gently caress the British Empire" and I am here for it.

Americans didn't do it so it's fair game - come back to me when we have a Cambodian superhero who talks about what Henry Kissinger did to their country, or a Vietnamese character or etc

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

kazil posted:

Jupiter's Legacy where it's a 13 episode show about 2 issues lol

Better than that, they didn't even hit the end of the first issue. Absolutely baffling idea.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tsob posted:

Can the US just induct Iman Vellani as a national treasure already?

US can't but Canada could

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tsob posted:

Just make him from the Middle East rather than Germany. I'm sure there have been plenty of inciting incidents in the last 50 odd years he can have experienced as a child in that area of the world. They're not as viscerally horrific as the holocaust, but that doesn't mean they're not horrific. Or that people don't need to know about them.

It was brought up before you posted but if they do this they're gonna have to make him Palestinian, not Jewish

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I never read the sequel novels, but I know Madmartigen was involved in them, so I don't think they are.

Madmartigen / Sorsha are fridged in the opening chapter of the first book, this series has nothing to do with the books (which I know get ripped to shreds online, but I liked them when they came out? Haven't re-read them in decades though)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

So Nick Fury survives Secret Invasion then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuk77TjvfmE

This seems to be set immediately after/during Ms Marvel which I am pretty sure was set before Secret Invasion so don't assume anything

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

live with fruit posted:

It's great that a nothing character that Marvel has already let be known will not be keeping his job started a global genocide that got heads of state murdered (good job by the UK secret service btw, letting one guy just run up on a press conference).

They seem to think that Downing Street is just some unguarded street and anyone can get to the front door of the Prime Minister's residence. That hasn't been true for > 30 years, ever since the IRA nearly got Thatcher that way with a bomb - same as how you don't have simple access to the back garden from nearby buildings any more after the IRA nearly got John Major with a mortar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Well, Beast looks so much worse than X-Men 3. That looks like a videogame cutscene. Also, I've never seen a theater that turns on every light while the credits still roll. That seems annoying.

Allegedly this scene was added last minute, time crunch may have been a major issue.