Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

I'm just glad the streaming format is actually being used to let episodes have whatever runtime the episode needs rather than forcing things to hit the 22/44 minute lengths because That's How Long TV Shows Are. That was always a complaint I had about the marvel Netflix stuff, they released it in one big chunk like a movie, but split into 13 episodes but every single one has a cliffhanger...

That's explicitly to make you binge it though. No one's going to sit through a 13 hour megaepisode and no one's going to slam that 'next episode' button if there's nothing to make you want to see what happens next.

Netflix usually just makes episodes however long they feel like, which has mixed results. Arrested Development had some 40 minute episodes that felt like they were 3 hours long.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

rabidcowfromhell posted:

In Ep 1 during the dinner scene, when the boss starts chocking, the cinematography/lighting style totally changes. Thought that might be a hint that whatever was happening wasn't "supposed" to be happening

I think the fact that his wife was acting like a broken machine on a loop until Vision played out the scene was a pretty big hint there.

HERAK posted:

It was also incredibly nice after 18 months to hear the Marvel Studios intro music at the start of something new again.

It feels a bit self indulgent. Like I get having it at the start of the series, or in front of a massive blockbuster film, but having that sort of bombast at the start of every single episode (especially when the show is trying to do something a bit more low key) seems silly.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not being snarky or anything, but I genuinely wonder how MCU fans who’ve never seen or hold no nostalgia for 50s/60s sitcoms received these episodes?

Being under 40 and not in the US reactions in my closest group have ranged from 'hate it' to 'don't care about any of this stuff but I will watch frame by frame for easter eggs and deep lore'.

Most of these people didn't like Guardians 2 (the undisputed best MCU content) because it didn't contribute sufficiently to the overarching plot. It's like a spreadsheet to them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was it even intended to be a big reveal or something that you'd want to avoid spoilers on? It really wasn't portrayed as a huge deal in the episode, unlike Luke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

I kinda wish they could just keep aping various sitcoms for awhile longer too.

I wouldn't be surprised if every episode is grounded in the premise of a sitcom, and by the finale they're basically caught up to modern day. Hopefully they strike the right balance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as they don't have any mutant projects on the horizon I doubt Wandavision is going to be used to backdoor them into the MCU.

I wouldn't be surprised if we at least get hints at them over the course of phase four starting with WandaVision, like Nick Fury cropping up to tease the Avengers in phase 1.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like you probably at least need some context from Infinity War and Endgame to get what's going on here (probably not a huge amount though).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebmojo posted:

I thought Rik Mayall. Also I was delighted to see anya from buffy again.

Yeah I got strong Rik Mayall vibes too - it's the way his face screws backwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

Yeah the way they transitioned to widescreen was really odd. In previous episodes the slow transition was Wanda purposefully (or subconsciously) advancing the 'look' of the world to a new era of sitcom, so it didn't make sense to use the same effect to transition to an entirely different perspective.

The tiny little edit/rewind with Vision was my favorite thing in the series so far.
Perfectly executed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a moment in the trailers where Agnes asks Vision if she's dead because he is.

That... seems like a weird thing for the trailers to give away.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh right, I thought you meant the trailer implied that Agnes and the others in the town are dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

my prediction is that Vision will be dead again at the end of the series (though Bettany could still return in flashbacks/cameos/etc) and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be the main thing that drives her into whatever her role in Doctor Strange 2 is

Alternatively she succeeds in bringing him back but he comes back wrong.

Sometimes dead is better.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That confrontation at the end there was fantastic. Probably the best part of the series so far. Paul Bettany knocked it out of the park.

Also enjoying the confirmation that this version of Vision is in some way real and not an illusion. I don't care if it's a lazy retcon I want him back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thebardyspoon posted:

Spoilers for this episode, Vision asking Wanda where the kids are was the creepiest moment in the MCU so far I think (not a high bar tbf) and a very good question. Since I doubt they're going to have a character be responsible for a bunch of kids dying or disappearing, I wonder how they're gonna explain them coming back or whatever when this series ends.

Or come back as mutants. :tinfoil:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Hawkeye could you know talk her down because they are friends? Powers aren't going to be the solution to this, it's going to be reaching Wanda as a person

Yeah this all very much reminds me of Xander and Dark Willow. Wanda's going to get worse before she gets better but someone's going to get through.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How in the hell would they have done the Simpsons without it being the most embarrassing to watch thing imaginable? (Their take on MitM was already pretty bad).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm surprised people thought that the MiTM stuff didn't work for them. It was extremely on point for me. Like the other episodes were cute, but had to be pretty broad. This one had to work more stylistically and I thought the camera work, the music, and some of the jokes were perfect.

They absolutely nailed the visual aesthetic and camerawork but the tone and content was nowhere near - especially the very bad opening credits.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

never watched MitM aside from a few clips here and there, but what was bad about the credits? I looked up MitM's intro and it didn't do the whole "shaky-cam following characters around the house at high speed" thing, I guess that was either original for WandaVision or a riff on some other sitcom opening I don't recallad

More the song than the credits themselves. It's like they heard precisely one song from a Nickelodeon ad in the early 2000s and thought "yes we can do that".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

enki42 posted:

I think the reason that we don't see stuff like the Simpsons, or the other 90s shows mentioned like Roseanne or Married with Children, is that it would work against the characterization just in the service of making sure they hit every decade. Every sitcom parodied so far have been ones with more-or-less happy and even idealized families (Modern Family fits well enough into this as well) which jives with Wanda creating an ideal sitcom reality, it would be too jarring to suddenly have Vision being a rude slob or the family is suddenly disfunctional or something like that, and everything from the 90's either fits that stereotype (Married with Children, Roseanne, the simpsons), is a bit of a minefield for a white cast to parody (fresh prince, cosby, family matters), or doesn't bring anything new to the table over what was happening in the 80s (stuff like step by step)

This is why the MitM stuff made no sense. It's explicitly about a dysfunctional family of dickheads.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebmojo posted:

I feel like the insanely long credits are going to be meaningful at some point

It's the same in Mandalorian. Just seems to be a D+ thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

Bettany and Cumberbatch have worked together before. He also said it's someone he's been wanting to work with his whole life, which seems to imply that it's an older actor.

Patrick Stewart and/or Ian McKellen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did anyone else really really really not like that Agnes all along reveal/montage?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

!Klams posted:

My hot take on the Bettany mystery cameo is something spicier than even that. My prediction is that Disney have played an EXTREMELY long con to set up: Alan Rickman. Think about it, it would fit perfectly and be the biggest thing in TV, nay, entertainment history! (Or James Avery, or Robin Williams. ...Please? :()

I hope so, otherwise Disney might have to go a full year without creating a CGI corpse puppet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Let's practice our English tonight" is definitely one of the better contrivances for non-English characters to switch language mid scene.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

having them come back into the real world with Wanda kinda feels like it'd be rewarding her for her actions

You say that like she should be punished for having an uncontrolled and apparently unintentional magical grief explosion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Such a good episode. My only objection is the scene with Wanda and Vision sitting on her bed and talking about their feelings in comfy clothes is going to validate fanfic writers.

The fanfic that Wanda and Vision were a couple...?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, they’re kids. You kinda have to grade on a curve when it comes to kid acting and they were mostly fine.

If they weren't used so sparingly it would've been pretty intolerable. The Malcom in the Middle episode highlighted how bad they were, since it just reminds you of how great Malcom and Dewey were.

e: I don't blame the kids themselves though. They're kids, they probably didn't even have much choice in the matter. It's just bad casting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XboxPants posted:

Even if not for this and all the things other people mentioned, he would be embroiled in the center of a massive ethical inquiry after a shitshow like this. One hopes. Hell, a huge part of the reason no other heroes were called in was because he was intentionally trying to keep it all under wraps.

There's also nuVision, who now knows who he is, how he came to be and what Hayward was planning to do with him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like it would be in the slightest surprising that it was Loki.

Yeah there's a literal Loki alternate timeline/multiverse TV show premiering in three months.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just watched Iron Man 2 for the first time in a decade and.. Don Cheadle just straight up takes an Iron Man suit, slaps a gun on the shoulder and calls himself War Machine huh.

e: That film also has the most neolib politics of any superhero film including all the Batmans. The bad politician wants the billionaire to give up his personal WMDs. Tony is definitely a good man because he just keeps and uses his WMDs himself instead of selling them. He's so drat smart and right about everything so yes he should definitely be trusted to keep all the WMDs in his garage.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 7, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

Hulk and Winter Soldier both outright murder people because they are not in full control of their powers. Neither of them really publicly atone or go through any redemptive process. They just sulk and brood on their own in space or Wakanda. They briefly touch upon the ethics, but only until the next threat shows up.

Filmmaking 101: Women need to atone for their emotional crimes. Men brood and murder.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Edmund Lava posted:

He didn’t bother showing up the last two times the book popped up, you would think Morgan le Fay alone would be worth checking out. So I’m either going for the No Prize answer that the Darkhold clouds his vision, or maybe he’s just not very good at his job.

I had to look up who that was. Are the pre-D+ series' still considered canon or are they Star War Legends now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thundercracker posted:

I mean honestly how many mcu movies nail their ending? I feel Infinity War spoiled us for that bit most of the time the endings are literally forgettable.

Off the top of my head the only other memorable ones are GotG, Dr. Strange, and uh. That's it

GotG2 has the one really loving good ending outside of Infinity War (the fireworks, not the fight with Kurt Russel).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I didn't pick up on any clues at all that Dottie was important.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't really think slapping the label 'villain' on characters every time they gently caress up or do something horrible is the way to go.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, don't call someone a villain just because they enslaved and tortured thousands of men, women, and children

The protagonist of the first three phases was an arms dealer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bleck posted:

the first ten minutes of Iron Man are about Tony being an arms dealer

WandaVision is nine 30-50 minute episodes of Wanda being an arms dealer, and in the last ten minutes a character says "eh, we've all been there" before she flies away

Ok but he was an arms dealer for decades, and continues to live a life of luxury and fund all future endeavors with the billions he made selling weapons. Wanda did her thing for like a week.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everyone posted:

Well, apparently only during part of the first movie. I recall because business "guru" Jim Cramer was very upset that the death machine seller was going to stop selling death machines. Then Stark did something else that somehow also made him assloads of money but that something was never clearly defined.

He "privatised world peace" which means "developed and hoarded the most powerful weapons on the planet in his house to act as a global deterrent" and I guess he got paid to do that?

stev fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 8, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BrianWilly posted:

Wanda could trap all of New Jersey in a hell dimension for years and not do the amount of harm that Tony Stark had done to the world.

And almost all of the good he's done since then involved stopping his own weapons (developed after he retired from arms dealing) from causing extinction level events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XboxPants posted:

Part of the subtext of the controversy is that a lot of people view this as a gender issue, too, though it's hard to bring this up without things turning into a slap fight. It's an extremely common trope to have a fantasy story about the woman who can't handle her emotions and gets too powerful and how that's dangerous for everyone around her and she needs to get back under control. Wanda, Dark Willow, etc. And then they typically have to get a much harsher punishment than a man who undergoes a similar story, because they've gone much further in breaking social norms. It's COOL when a guy gets angry and beats people up, but if it's a woman she's a bitch or crazy.

Also, what is this story about? Is it about the dangers of witches getting into dark magic and mind controlling towns? That isn't actually a thing. It's not about that. It's about how women need to get their emotions under control because otherwise it's a danger to society. Think of the children! How can we get these unruly ladies under control?

I'm not accusing you or anyone else, it doesn't sound like you are pushing things in that direction in the least. I don't think the people here are really pushing that narrative. But, there are a ton of people who would say "damnit Wanda didn't get what she deserved" who WOULD be coming from that place. I think that's part of why it's so annoying to hear it, we've been hearing that complaint about stories for a long time. Whether people intend it or not, it's an unspoken subtext we need to address in order to discuss this in good faith.

This is a very good post and explains a lot of why the whole premise of the show felt sort of off to me.