Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

vision thing by sisters of mercy but instead it's VISION DONG

MCU TV: Sitcoms and Vision Dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are we sure if Hoskins is actually dead? We saw Rhodey was unconscious and unresponsive when he was injured in Civil War. I understand the way Walker acted comes off that way but Tony blasted Falcon and Friday even told him that Rhodes was still alive and Tony’s a decent guy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know you said mouth but Rhodes had it coming out of his nose. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Walker took his pulse, and then got enraged. I doubt he'd leave him for revenge if he was injured.

Ah fair enough. I guess I missed him actually checking.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean... I’ve got a family member currently in the hospital who fell off their bike (while wearing a MIPS helmet!) and hit the ground in just the right way to cause a TBI, and this time last week we still weren’t sure they would survive. It was an unbelievable amount of blood from someone just flipping over the handlebars.

So yeah, if a super-soldier kicks you across the room and into a pillar and you’re just some schmuck with paintball armor on you’re gonna die.

I hope they’ll be alright. One of my riding buddies was also wearing a MIPS helmet but when he went down it still split open at just around 45 MPH so the helmet definitely isn’t always going to save a rider. Alternatively I saw another friend fall off his bike going 100+ with just a helmet and got right back up with nothing worse than some road rash. It’s insane what major trama we can live through and then as you said we can just fall weird and end up a vegetable.

It’s TV so anything is possible. I didn’t think they’d kill off Battlestar so quick. I just looked him up right before I watched the episode to read what he’s all about in the comics so it really threw me off guard.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope they don’t give a drat if you didn’t wash the show and you’re just lost if they need to bring it up. They’ve already said it ties into a movie and I personally would hate it if they just acted like the show never happened just so people who didn’t watch it won’t be lost.

Also the show seems like a major tie-in for the future of the MCU. It along with WandaVision just seem way to important for the future of the Avengers for them to try and pull that. I mean we have the real Vision alive again out there and when he just shows up I don’t understand how they’ll just have him say something like, “My fake self brought me back to life” and the audience will be satisfied with that.

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuine question: Does SHIELD even exist anymore after the events of Winter Soldier? I know SWORD does, but I thought Fury and Hill dissolved SHIELD as a government organization and went into deep cover.

Is it like a "Fury's Secret SHIELD/ Howling Commandos" thing?

Also if Thaddeus Ross is as high up in the US government as he seems to be in the MCU, I could see him building a state sanctioned Thunderbolts team around a now very manipulatable Walker to counter an Avengers team that seems increasingly disconnected from a state authority

Agents of Shield gives me the impression that Shield is just a secret organization at this point but I’ve given up on it a couple seasons ago so I don’t know where it’s at now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agents of Shield just straight up admits it is not MCU canon in the last few seasons.

In the MCU, SHIELD doesn't exist anymore.

Thank god! I really didn’t want to slog through that awful show anymore in case it eventually ever did bleed into the other stuff. Thank you.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm sure you've heard this before, but the show actually does get really good near the end of the first season and stays in the "7 out of 10" range for most of the rest of the series.

If you've finished season 2 and still didn't like it, then it is probably safe to quit and never look back.

I’m on season 6 now. I slogged through the first 5 seasons a while ago and started 6 a couple months ago and just decided to stop. I loved the first season but it just kind of outlived itself for me.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the exact nature of SHIELD in the MCU is kinda a huge question mark but we know Fury and Hill have SOME kind of SHIELD like organization with Helicarriers and Skrulls. Maybe that's SWORD? Maybe its a secret SHIELD? Maybe the US Government reupped SHIELD on the QT? Maybe they're self financed? Dunno but Fury's got something resembling SHIELD.

I don't think this is really true anymore. Look at WandaVision. Wanda got a major power upgrade, a ton of backstory, a moral realignment, and we know she's headed to a movie. Strange 2 might have to catch up its viewers with a bit of exposition and will try and tell a story you can follo standalone, but this stuff all connects now. Plus you have Vision, SWORD, and Monica that will probably pop up in future stuff.

And we're watching a show that's likely to result in a new Captain America. That's gonna pop up again in a film. So really, changing Sharon Roger's character doesn't seem like much of a continuity deal breaker here. There's WAY more important stuff changing in this series that's likely to pop up than one fairly small supporting character to Cap, who is now gone anyway.

For all intents and purposes, I think this is Captain America 4. MCU fans might take some time to adjust to the idea that Disney+ shows = MCU movies but that seems to be the way they're going and Disney ill be happy to keep telling people to subscribe to Disney+ and catchup on what they missed.

That’s exactly it. Disney will essentially tell people to either subscribe to their streaming service or be lost.

Can always look things up online if you want.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

At the same time, there are people who only watch the Avengers movies so everything that happens in between is just stuff they have to role with. The percentage of people who actually watch every single movie probably isn't that big.

That’s absolutely absurd and while I’ll admit there’s people out there like that I cannot comprehend why someone would do this. :gonk:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My experience with prisons is the whole scene was wrong and bugged me but then it’s a show on TV plus it’s another country so they obviously don’t follow the same regulations as American prisons.

Also German prisons actually work unlike the American prison system so there’s probably a method to their madness.

Also also it’s TV.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

How different is German prison to the US prison? Are they in the same lovely conditions? (but yeah, Zemon is rich and probably prison feels like a hotel room for him).

Absolutely not. US prisons are meant for psychological torture in ways that are too subtle for anyone to recognize whereas most European like Germany’s are designed for actual rehabilitation and release into modern society. Sweden’s prison is a legit apartment complex.

As far as I know a US prison isn’t even allowed to say or refer to their programs as rehabilitation anymore.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

Mexico.

Is probably like the US...but worse in a certain specific way.

They don’t have the same standards is what I got from my reading material so that reads worse in reality than on paper and it seems they don’t hide that prisoners are scum and don’t care about them whereas the US system at least tries to put on a show of caring. Of course my reading material was limited as we were never given exact info on their system and whatever we were given could be complete false information on North Korean levels.

Also will note that I saw that one seasons of prison break with them in the Mexico prison. :shobon:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I haven't really looked at the issue as an American, but that seems insane to me. Prisons aren't garbage bins. The people you "throw away" will usually come back. A non-violent burglar/car thief/pickpocket/drug dealer goes away for a few years and gets raped/abused/brutalized. He also gets informal lessons on how to be a "better" criminal. So he comes back harder and more brutal and determined to not get sent back. So when he commits his next crimes, he's more careful about the evidence. And makes sure to avoid or kill any witnesses. So he won't go back. Or he just shoots it out with cops so he won't get sent back. None of those seem like good outcomes for anyone involved - except maybe the prison/private prison industry.

I’ve spoken to many prisoners who have said that the system hasn’t helped them at all and now they can’t get a decent job as a felon so they’ll just do the same things better. Except now they won’t let the police arrest them at any cost. :(

Mostly dealt with prisoners who got into fights or stole money or items worth money.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

What's weird is that, just before I started the episode I thought about that and briefly wondered who it'd be and looked forward to finding out. Then during the episode itself, I completely forgot about it and didn't even remember again until you mentioned it. That aside, I wonder does the fact that Sam left the broken wings behind and told Torres he could have them mean that Torres is going to become the White Falcon, to Sam's Captain America? I initially assumed the box contained new vibranium wings, but if Torres does become a new Falcon and Sam is just a new Cap, then maybe it's a new suit that's made of vibranium weave similar to the Black Panther outfit so that Sam's lack of super soldier serum is offset along with his athleticism. Which, drat, he look fit as gently caress during that training montage.

Torres, as the name suggests, is Hispanic.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I’m kind of confused on is I’m pretty sure I read at some point that Stan Lee intended racism to not exist in the Marvel universe. If that’s true I feel like Disney is kind of making GBS threads on his legacy by putting it in there. Powerful conversation though.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Spanish speaking Twitter is absolutely gonzo over the idea of Torres becoming Falcon. Representation really does matter. I like seeing people feel good about seeing someone like themselves on the screen.

From the beginning I felt that he was going to a new prominent character. Especially because that one super serum guy didn’t kill him in the beginning. I’m excited. :)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

This sort of negates the existence of the X-Men completely...

You’re right. I didn’t read the comics and I know the main reason they’re not on screen together now is because different companies owning the rights but aren’t X-Men and the Avengers essentially two different entities of Marvel comics?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stan Lee was a treasure. :3:

Very well, carry on.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How are they going to have the big finale fight in New York City and not include the most important Friendly Neighborhood Hero

Man, that would be crazy tho...

He’s on a field trip. You could say he’s far from home. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The thing that boggled me is that an Other Than Honorable discharge means the only benefit you lose is your GI Bill. That’s literally it. Then he can apply to have it upgraded through the VA to a General discharge which is literally the same as an honorable except he still wouldn’t have his GI Bill, which being an officer he already has a degree in something. The stripping of benefits can’t happen and it felt a little lazy they couldn’t just ask a veteran about that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

one of my most memorable theater experiences was growing up in memphis and went to a showing of halloween H2O and ll cool j came back people flipped out it was awesome, i'd expect similar reactions in movies, hell, people marked out hard when yoda showed off his skills in episode 2.

Hello fellow Memphian. :) My first time going to the theatre was at the Paradiso to see The Phantom Menace and everyone lost their mind when Darth Maul switched on his second lightsaber. :vince:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

It also sets up pretty much all of Loki’s face turn, such as it is. That one scene where Thor visits him after Frigga dies (and he drops the illusion to show he’s a complete wreck) is a great moment.

This scene was absolutely gut wrenching for me. It was the first time I realize that maybe Loki really is just misunderstood. Then of course Infinity War kills him off once he and Thor finally get to the start of a real brotherly relationship. :smith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Wouldn't the scene indicate the opposite, since Thor immediately knew that the Loki walking around and asking questions in a clean cell was an illusion, wasn't remotely surprised by the sight of the real Loki barefoot and haggard in a trashed room and offered him something that he knew Loki would want straight away (i.e. revenge); that all indicates he understood Loki perfectly well.

I guess yeah, Thor did. I, however, did not as I’m sure the rest of the people in the MCU didn’t.

It’s also been a while since I’ve seen the movie.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm really glad I don't require complete logical explanations for everything in my superhero shows, goddamn. I can't imagine what watching any of the MCU must be like for people who do.

I’m the same way except when it comes to military things that are just stupid. For example: I can’t get over the fact that Walker got an other than honorable discharge and they “stripped him of his benefits”. With that discharge you literally have all your benefits except free college. I hated the military but I let little things like this in movies/shows bother me. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

They sort of adapt that into the first season don't they? Or is there another instance from the comics of this happening?

It's a great moment, one of my favorite "what the gently caress" scenes from that show

They did and while I was uncomfortable during the whole scene it was just amazingly done and really shows a lot. I’m glad there are no real life superheroes.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Thor 2 isn’t bad, it’s just that it also isn’t good. It’s like plain oatmeal or cornflakes. They perform their function, in Thor 2’s case it conveys information that contributes to the MCU as a whole, just not in an exciting or interesting way. It just kind of.....happens.

I agree with this. I just watched both the past few days with my MCU timeline watch through and I will say that watching them a second time after not seeing them since they were released I did seem to actually enjoy them

Honestly, after watching all these movies in timeline order I am enjoying all the movies. Even Captain Marvel, which I thought was very okay when it released, was a lot better this time around for some reason. It may just be the excitement of finally seeing how the whole Infinity War shapes together.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

Can people please stop saying that superhero movies and TV shows are "mostly for children". Superhero movies are the new action movies and they've been this for the last decade now. The most popular movies and shows is all superhero or fantasy stuff. The most popular TV show of all time was a show about knights, dragons, zombies, wizards and lots of tits

Disney has always had a focus on movies for kids that parents can enjoy as well. So if anything I would say that Marvel is making movies for adults that kids can enjoy too. So while it’s not meant specifically for kids it is meant for kids to watch as well because I can tell you that my daughter loves Captain America even though she’s three and doesn’t really understand what’s going on.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Hobbs and Shaw wasn't as fun as the main F&F movies. I appreciate the insanity of adding super powers to the F&F universe.

Idris Ilba was absolutely amazing in the movie and I will always recommend anyone to watch it for him alone.

quote:

I’m motherfucking black Superman

Added in the “motherfucking”

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Its Rinaldo posted:

One of the goon WoW guilds has a poster of theirs show up in Doctor Strange so we already are.

I’m upset because I literally just finished Doctor Strange today and missed it. :saddowns:

Azhais posted:

Really? where in the movie?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

A squad of soldiers that can outrun cars (and run longer) and also carry more equipment would be pretty useful. Maybe not world-threatening, but definitely useful. They also have improved reflexes and hand-eye coordination and other stuff that makes them 'super' so they can probably shoot back at you better too.

I never understood the reason why Steve gave up on rocking the pistol in combat? Like one would have been useful for the battle of NY in the first Avengers movie or Infinity War/Endgame... unless he just enjoyed killing aliens with his fists/shield.

I can understand him giving up his 1911 for Mjolnir though.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and guess that Loki isn't actually the one responsible for the time problems, and we'll find out part way through that one of the heads of the TVA is loving around with time in some fashion and blamed it on him as a convenient pawn, because while it's easy to imagine Loki as the root cause of his own downfall, it's also really difficult to imagine that the all powerful, self appointed bureau that not only observes but controls a thing isn't corrupt as gently caress.

He’s the Loki from Endgame that picked up the Tesseract and disappeared when Tony got Hulk’d therefor not going back to Asgard with Thor and messing up the timeline.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

The scene of Thor going to tell Loki about his plan to escape and ask for his help in return for Loki being able to get revenge for Friga's death is worth watching too, to see Loki trying to put up a sneering facade only for Thor to see right through it and then reveal Loki as being a mess.

This scene made the whole movie worth watching for me.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Which is by far the easiest way to explain it all away

Imagine Deadpool getting the gauntlet

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:swoon:

Infinitum posted:

Unhappy with the paparazzi encroaching on an individuals right to privacy I would hope, cause how dare people have sex :hmmyes:

Right because it’s not like they were at the Grammys doing this so I don’t see the issue.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Organic Lube User posted:

It's probably completely cynical on Disney's part but I'm still ticking another box in the "Waititi is probably a sex pest" column.

I wouldn’t say sex pest so much as maybe just enjoys it like the majority of people, but unlike the majority of people is able to score pretty impressively.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Directors aren't the employers of the actors in their films. The studio pays all of them. To fire an actor or even a crew member - especially one previously attached to the project with a long-term contract on a major Disney blockbuster - a director would have to go through all kinds of producer and studio red tape. It's not the power dynamic some of you seem to think it is.

This is the post I’ve been waiting for.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why isn't Loki blue? Does he just illusion himself all the time?

It wasn’t explained in the movies so I’m assuming they do explain it in the comics but no he doesn’t do it himself. When Odin picks him up in the movie Loki immediately turns pasty white. So I dunno what’s up with him not being blue.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really loved Loki’s reaction to seeing his supposed-to-be-future. I was expecting him to break down terribly when he saw his mother die but his whole reaction to everything was just stellar acting and incredible which I why I was totally okay with the recap and wanted to see nothing but that. Much better than just having a Loki only recap at the beginning because this just helped him grow into what could be the Loki that Thanos killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Re: Infinity Stones

I knew poo poo was real when the lowly secretary guy just held the teseract and didn’t get swooshed away to be a drat floating ghost thingy. Then he had the space stone in that desk and has probably touched it before and didn’t explode.