Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gavok posted:

A note about the first commercial: the toaster very much resembles what Ultron's original form looked like in the comics.

Also reminds me of the joke Vision tells Wanda on a flashback on Tom King's miniseries .

Do we know if the sitcom eras go to the 2010s? If that's so, then we could be getting 7 episode of sitcoms and 2 of full on "real world" plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched) I think this is perfectly accessible.

The main characters are trapped in a sitcom world, and the exact nature of their entrapment is unclear. That's all you really need to know.

Yeah, I don't think this is true. Episodes are too self-contained, and it flies in the face of the Disney Plus business model. It's clearly episodically structured television.

Yeah; if it was binged I think it could still work, but I feel like the Disney+ model is to do weekly releases so that the shows remain in the conversation for at least 2 months. It worked for The Mandalorian and if this week has been any indication it kind of works for WV too (though it remains to be seen if it works in less mystery heavy shows like What If or Ms Marvel)

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah. If we had gotten 6 episodes of sitcom plots with a few minutes of actual plot, it would have been too much. If from now on it's just a sitcom style and the plot moving forward then I'm ok with that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Hazo posted:

Is there a significance to how Vision had his right lapel carefully untucked throughout the entire episode?

I think its significance was to annoy me because I hate when that happens with my shirts. I just wanted to fix his lapel throughout the whole episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Am I the only person who thinks Mephisto being the big bad for an entire phase of the MCU seems like wishful thinking? Like, do people really think Disney is going to have literal Satan be in 6 movies and a couple TV shows or whatever?

I guess that's why some people think it's actually Nightmare...it's not as if the MCU has made its own versions of characters that resemble little of the comics versions; they could just call the villain a demon, but by using Nightmare they don't have to use a literal Satan.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

If it's Pietro and if it's really Evan Peters the actor I will know be more interested in finding out HOW that happened. Does Wanda don't remember her brother? Is Evan's character another agent of SWORD pretending to be Pietro to get information out of her?

Maybe Wanda's magic can't actually revive someone, so instead of that she somehow pulls Evan Peters from a different universe (yeah, I know, why would she be able to break the multiverse and not revive a person, but still); I guess bringing back Vision was not such an issue since he is not actually human

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Y'all are gonna be real sad when they do the sitcom trope of the annoying twin and we get douchey Vision played by Bettany with a lovely moustache.

It would be kind of amusing if the Wonder Man teases are just for a dumb joke of Vision playing his douchey actor brother.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So the kids are they made out of all the other children of Westview?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought it was weird when Darcy is calling Hayward a dick and it cuts to him saying "terrorist"; last week I thought he was just a dude in charge, but now I think there's more to him (but nothing supernatural)

radlum
May 13, 2013
What about using clothes soap to wash your hands? Asking...for a friend.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

But I don't want to!!! :cry:

No more Soap! edit: I'm a dummy. There are actually children in two of the fictional TV ads. Wonder what's up with that?

Yeah, now that you mention it, no theory about the couple in the ads has said anything about the children;.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

The question is, how far does this go? Because really, the ultimate conclusion to this concept would be a crossover with the DC universe.

Considering how unlikely a crossover in the comics is, I guess we could rule out a movie crossover...but maybe one day; I wouldn't rule it out entirely

radlum
May 13, 2013
I liked the first look we had on December more than this trailer; it felt OK. I can already see the hot takes about how "standard MCU" this series is, compared to WandaVision.

Still, I'm looking forward to it; I feel like there's gonna be more interesting themes that they haven't included in this trailer and I love Zemo, Bucky and Sam, so I'll be optimistic.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Djarum posted:

Ike Perlmutter is a legendary assfuck. No one I have ever known that has interacted with the guy has ever had a nice thing to say about him. He basically schemed to take over Marvel. Disney never wanted anything to do with him and tried to push him out for years. His involvement with the scandal with Trump and the Department of Veterans Affairs gave them the cover to effectively push him out.

He was owed and wanted the pay raise that he deserved after Iron Man was a hit. He was the highest paid actor in the first since he was the most bankable star since RDJ was still trying to rebuild his career, Jeff Bridges hadn't had a hit in a decade and Paltrow never really had ever been a bankable star. They famously hosed him over bad and did a full court blitz to try and make him seem like the bad guy. The true story came out later but it was too late. Cheadle's deal ended up giving him backend money which was roughly about what Howard would have been paid in the first place, so they didn't even save any money.

Had no idea this is what happened...still, Cheadle has done such a good job with War Machine (and seems to actually be a cool dude) that it's kind of weird that this is an awful decision that turned out to be right.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Whats a good wandavision podcast?

Vanity Fair's Still Watching is pretty good; since it's VF, it usually has a section with interview with people involved in the show. I also like MarvelVision by the Comic Book Club guys.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I kind of agree that MitM is an odd choice for the 90s (since I also relate it more to the early 2000s), but I also think that the more iconic 90s sitcoms wouldn't fit the series. Married With Children is pretty iconic, but it would be too jarring if the neighborhood watch turned into proto-MRAs or if the series focused on down on his luck Pietro moving in with richer relatives like The Nanny or The Fresh Prince, it just wouldn't fit.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ravel posted:

The aerospace engineer could be one of the existing secondary characters who have changed career. Kat Dennings' character didn't have a physics background the last time we saw her.

Yeah; I'm leaning closer to the engineer being Talos, since this would tie to Far From Home (specially the post-credits scene) and the Secret Invasion show (since it could work as a "remember this guy? he is gonna be important!"). Though if they go with "actor who has been in sitcoms" like Dennings and Park, I could see Laurence Fishbourne back as Bill Foster; Foster is a scientist and Fishbourne has been on Black-ish for a while.

The only other "male scientist who could have studied aerospatial engineering since we last saw him" I can think of is Selvig, but he would have been mentioned by Darcy, not Monica.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Solvency posted:

My son pointed out that one of the kids is wearing a Minecraft Creeper hat which makes no sense in the timeline though.

I think the overall timeline of the decades has been messed up intentionally; there's a Oz The Great and the Powerful on the movie theather on the 70s episode so I feel that though the episodes try to imitate the aesthethic of the era and its sitcoms, it's not as if they are actually set in the past and thus the easter eggs can be modern.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if 9 is a 'feature length' episode, so 50 minutes or so, to match with the first week being a double bill.

Also, theory that seems so obvious I'm kinda mad I didn't think of it sooner: The Yo'Magic ad in this episode implied to me that the baddie is feeding on magic in some way. Who did we last see in the MCU doing exactly that? Baron Mordo. And I don't think Chiwetel Ejiofor has ever worked with Bettany, which would make sense as the actor he's wanted to work with.

I'd kind of like it; with DS2 being about the multiverse, I feel like Mordo's heel turn and his quest to drain magic of others at the end of DS seems like a secondary threat, but if his quest is somewhat related to the threat of DS2, this series would be a good choice to connect them.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah; I kind of want the twins to still be around, both because Billy and Tommy are great characters in the comics and to see them around with Wanda would be a cool change to their dynamic (since they have had just a few moments together in the comics), and we would avoid the whole "Wanda goes even crazier after losing her kids".

Also, there has to be a reason we have barely seen scenes from the "Modern Family" episode, I'm guessing they are keeping the older versions of the twins under wraps (though I fear that if they are played by randos, then they are goners).

radlum
May 13, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

As far as making Wakanda/BP films without Boseman, I feel like making Shuri the lead is far and away the obvious choice by way of popularity and the tech-genius hook, whether or not the character actually takes on the BP mantle. We'll see if the actor goes further down the Carano hole, though.

If anything, the whole Carano deal shows that if things get too heavy, Disney can get rid of someone that brings too much problems for them, and in Wright's case, though she is a good actress (far better than Carano), I think being anti vaxx in these times can be harmful to her career in the long run, so I think she won't double down on that stuff.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just saw a huge list of big and medium names that have worked with Bettany before and turns out he hasn't worked with Patrick Stewart or Michael Fassbender.

Still I don't think they are gonna appear on this series.

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah i absolutely couldn't stand the vision/scarlet witch plot in Infinity War, I vastly prefer the Wandavision versions where the actors are allowed to do more interesting and comedic stuff and not just "we are in love and sad" all the gd time

I remember how indifferent I was about Wanda and Vision's plot in IW and now I feel so invested in them (though I'm sure they are not gonna get a happy ending), and that's because both the performance of both actor and the way their relationship has been handled here.

I can't think of any example of caring about a couple because of developments after the death of one them.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

It's certainly done a good job of keeping my attention over the last 6 weeks, compared to the movies that are mostly gone from my head after a week.

I like how they're trying to keep the momentum by rolling quickly into Falcon and the Winter Soldier but I don't know how it can be any good. "Flying guy and tough man go on missions" doesn't have the same zazz as this reality-bending witchcraft.

Though I must admit when I saw the WandaVision trailer I was similarly skeptical. I expected a high-concept failure but instead it's a high-concept success.

I feel the same; the episodic nature of a TV series has many advantages, but I'd like to see how it works on FATWS, since that one seems like the most "MCU" of this first batch of series.

If it works, then I think the episodic take on MCU properties could work for smaller stuff and leave the bigger things for the films.

radlum
May 13, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

What if the cameo actor that Paul Bettany has "wanted to work with his entire life", has "...many scenes together" and had "fireworks of chemistry" with was Paul Bettany as a second Vision built by Hayward

:thunkin:

If all the build up was for him acting againts himself, then I would actually love it. I couldn't get mad at him for that

radlum
May 13, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

I almost cried when Vision said "Wanda" in a really comforting tone after she created the Hex. Hayward strangeness aside, the episode was very touching and emotionally consistent.

That scene got me too; I wasn't surprised by it, but it carried a lot of emotional weight.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ignis posted:

Fun anachronism from this week's episode: Wanda was born in 89 and her parents died when she was 10, so that flashback would presumably happen in 99, before those editions of Bewitched S1 (June 2005) and Malcolm S1 (2002) were made. I figure it's just a production goof and not actual foreshadowing to things, fwiw :v:

I want to think that DVD technology developed a lot faster in the MCU and that Frankie Muniz is at least 5 years older so that Malcolm in the Middle actually premiered in the late 90s

radlum
May 13, 2013

Loss being CAD's enduring legacy will always be funny to me.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

MCU TV: What is loss, if not a meme persevering?

Yes.

I didn't expect WV backlash to grow so much in just this weekend, and based on people like (perhaps too much) a single line. I feel like a big part of Film Twitter has met a few very intense MCU fans and pretends that they are all like that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

well, on top of asking fans to wait five years or more for the actors playing LGBT characters to age up, in a franchise starved for LGBT representation, you're not getting a gay Wiccan/Hulkling romance on screen with a 14-year-old actor playing Billy, at least not in any form that most fans of that pairing in the comics would be happy with

which brings me to what I was alluding to last post: with Chavez being cast so young, and it still being an open question whether Tommy/Billy will be aged up anytime soon, and with canonically straight YA members Kate Bishop and Cassie Lang both being played by actors well into their twenties... well, if the twins aren't aged up in the WV finale, it would certainly raise the concern that Marvel Studios is deliberately casting LGBT characters very young so they have an excuse not to do romantic subplots with said characters anytime soon.

that might sound a bit paranoid, but it's not like Marvel Studios has exactly earned any benefit of the doubt with respect to LGBT representation

except that Hailee Steinfeld is 24, and with Cassie Lang, they actually replaced the teenage actor who played her in Endgame with another 24-year-old, Kathryn Newton

I share your fears; people who are too into Marvel stuff say that the kids who play Billy and Tommy might have filmed DS2 so I fear that Marvel is gonna try to keep those characters too young for a while so they can avoid mentioning that they are gay/bi by just making them too young to have significant romantic plots.

I still hope that's not the case, but this is Disney we are talking about.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So did COVID impact the episode? When Darcy just dissapeared from the series, I wondered if there were any issues with the filming or something like that since it's weird she just had a small shot and nothing else

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just read Vulture's recap about the finale and I like the idea of love at the end of the world as one the themes of the series, specially given our current circunstances...but I can't think I've read a more dismissive and "I'm too good for this poo poo" recap before; I know the dude doesn't care for MCU stuff but it feels like he actively disliked writing it (except for the brief moments of actual honesty). I'm glad I didn't preorder his Stan Lee biography.

radlum
May 13, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I wasn't ignoring that Wanda's Vision isn't "the" Vision and neither is Cataract, but that doesn't mean there won't be love. It'll just be more like a really awkward meeting with an ex you didn't get good closure with, and finding out that you have two kids. It's just also not gonna be like the Tom King story where White Vision flat-out dumps Wanda "I am not your husband and I don't love you" because that White Vision is more robot, while this Cataract is clearly a weird mesh of stuff.

gently caress yeah I'm down.

2. Wandavision nor any MCU stuff is advertised as a mystery box the same way JJ Abrams products are. They definitely aren't afraid to lean into what fans will do naturally, but they didn't market the show as "hey here's a crazy deep mystery for you guys to solve." The sitcom conceit was definitely a "ooh what's going on" but they were already giving clear answers as early as Episode 3.

That said I do think you're right. Falcon and the Winter Soldier definitely seems to be teasing USAgent to hardcore fans, and making us all wonder wtf is happening with the TVA in Loki, but again we're 12 years into this poo poo by now. The big continuity machine seems to be very good about knowing how to not overreach and that with very, very rare exception like Endgame you can go into each movie/show knowing generally what to expect.

I mostly agree with this. Marvel might tease us, but we are the ones going overboard with theories. There's a huge gap between "oh, hey it's that actress from Buffy" to "Dottie must be this really obscure character because why else an actress like her would be chose for this series"; I agree mostly on the complaints about Ralph (maybe instead of Agatha having a picnic we should have gotten her checking Ralph's headshot as a casting director choosing him to play Pietro), but even then, going from "Fox's Quicksilver" to "Mephisto or Nightmare" is a huge stretch and not a mystery to be solved.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

The boner joke is even a reused boner joke that the director got from his time on Growing Pains. He named Ralph after a character from Growing Pains as another old tv reference.

The more distant from watching the finale I am, the more I absolutely love the Fietro fakeout. Masterstroke in every way.

Same, the more time passes since the finale those "odd" choices feel better for me and the clear issues with making a TV show during a pandemic hit harder.

radlum
May 13, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have a wild prediction that the show will be entertaining, maybe hint at some deeper story beats but ultimately play it safe because it's a very popular IP and Disney won't take major risks.

This applies to every MCU and Star Wars show; being part of Disney is both a blessing and a curse.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Snackmar posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to see more of their relationship on screen instead of just implied, assuming they can maybe do some flashback stuff? Sam definitely deserved more screentime before this.

When Bucky was Cap for a while in the comics I think one of the things that ended his tenure was the "oops the media is not happy to find out he was a russian assassin for a while (even unwilling)" part, presumably that'll come up at some point

I recently reread the No Escape arc, where Zemo basically tries to play audience surrogate and questions why is Bucky the new Captain America, besides being Steve's old sidekick. It's pretty good and I think that that part of Brubaker's run tries to make the argument that actually Bucky is not a great choice as Captain America, he has too much baggage, too many issues, and though he deserves a path of redemption, being Cap is probably not the best way.

radlum
May 13, 2013
With Mandalorian I did a watchparty with 2 other friends; we would watch the episode as we ate breakfast (and lunch, for the one of us who was in the UK) and we may do it again for Bad Batch.

For WandaVision I used to watch early as well, but by the end of the season I would automatically wake up at 5AM and watch the episode; now with FATWS I've been waking up at 4AM.

I'm kind of glad I will be able to sleep a bit more until Loki premieres.

radlum
May 13, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

God being a leftist can suck when I just want to enjoy my superhero media and then everyone I follow has to treat it like this is the most toxic imperialist propaganda that is poisoning our culture to be more and more neolib and fash. I would say the actual answer to that is the 1000000000 cop shows that have been on TV non stop since the 80s

Same.

I remember people trying to start poo poo before the series started because of the Flag-Smashers ("Disney is trying to portray anarchism negatively!"); they were poorly written but they weren't bad because of "politics", just bad writing.

No joke I saw a tweet about the show portraying the cops as heroes...by just showing cops doing their job; a show doesn't need to be ACAB all day, sometimes cops do regular stuff.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Why is Tom King in the Special Thanks in this episode? As far as I recall, his only Marvel work was Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Lol at wandvision getting nominated in the same category as queens gambit.

I liked WandaVision a lot, but I can't imagine it beating Underground Railroad or I May Destroy You in any category.