Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Desperado Bones posted:

Everyone who survived is in there. Even that kid from Iron Man 3. For some reason.

Tony Stark: [Sarcastically] Cause' we're connected!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is great but it also looks like “WHAT IF...Wanda Was Played By Natasha Lyonne?”

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

GPTribefan posted:

If anyone has Marvel Unlimited, read Roger Stern’s incredible run on the Avengers from the mid to late 1980’s. You’ll gain a huge appreciation for Monica Rambeau and get some insight on how her powers may work in the show.

But stop there, because what comes after (and why Stern left) is really not a high point in Mark Gruenwald's long comics career.

Rappaport posted:

I thought Billy's remark about Agatha being silent was an allusion to her having telepathy / mind control powers of her own, so she would be blocking Billy? That's what they showed at the "twist" too, she's mind-controlling Wanda on some level.
I figured it to mean that Agatha's mind is quiet because she is acting of her own free will, unlike the rest of the townsfolk who are prisoners, screaming within the confines of their own minds

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Man, Haywood's plan is super dumb no matter how you spin it. He's just smooshing together powerful forces he neither understands or can be sure to control and seeing what happens.

Hey, it worked out the first time, right?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Lunatic Sledge posted:

what WAS the deal with Marvel and cuffed boots

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was also the easiest way to draw shoes without looking like they were wearing a onesie.

I thought that's what all the outside-underpants were for??

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Liefeld doing another one of his "homages"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Lord Hydronium posted:

Endgame trailers also edited a bunch of shots to hide Thor and Hulk's new looks.

As did Ragnarok, to hide Thor's missing eye.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

tsob posted:

Wasn't Hamill considered quite good looking before he had a motorcycle crash between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back?

SW Mark and Harrison were the MCU Chris's of their day, yes.

Also, I'm not up on all the Twitter humor so I'm left wondering about the (intentionally?) misspelled "Sebation" on the card. :confused:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

Is US Agent supposed to be a good guy or bad guy in the comics?
His original arc(s) had him as a mix of earnest toxic patriotism, massive personal trauma, super-roid rage and a tragic inability to live up to the unattainable ideal of the original Cap.

After that the '90's took over and he just followed the exact same 'crabby-with-a-heart-of-gold' white male rear end in a top hat evolution flanderization as Guy Gardner.

Invalid Validation posted:

Ah so real Captain America.
Pretty much, yea.

AJA fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 20, 2021

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

Avengers were being paid at some point, otherwise how did Vision buy a plot of land and a potential house construction?

Vision is a galaxy-brain robut. He can hack in and do the decimal-shaving money thing from Office Space Superman III any time he wants.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Azhais posted:

Jarvis obviously knows all of Tony's bank information

Jarvis-brain is far too Stiff Upper Lip for that. On the other hand, Ultron-brain is always up for a good caper.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Terror Sweat posted:

your best Captain America story

[ citation needed ]

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

Brubaker's run is absolutely up there for best Cap story.
Eh, it's no CapWolf

Codependent Poster posted:

There would only be competition from Gruenwald's stories.
:cool: :hf: :cool:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

This is incredibly loving stupid

Welcome to comics. 1% "Holy gently caress!," 99% "What the gently caress?"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When Norton demanded he get total creative control and editing rights over Hulk, they recast him. Should have done that with Tony Stark and gotten him all boozed up.

Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino as new Tony, who says no??

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

In the United States, you have to be missing for 7 years to be declared legally dead.

:themoreyouknow: gif

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

sticklefifer posted:

The MCU didn't have Trump or Q or BLM

TIL racism and police profiling didn't exist until ~2013

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Bleck posted:

they call him the white wolf because he's white

They call him the White Wolf because a boardroom of rich white guys mandated it. Realistically, they should call him The Chitauri Wolf, instead!

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cage Kicker posted:

Putting the spotlight on racial social issues has got to be a real morale killer for the kind of person who thinks racism is mostly over but still locks their car doors when they are at a stoplight and a POC is in the crosswalk.

Yes, but have you considered that

sticklefifer posted:

We're following a post-Thanos world, and it feels like they're wedging in real world issues because a boardroom of rich white guys mandated it. There's no reason to believe that after all the events in the MCU, modern society would be literally the same but also superheroes.

The MCU didn't have Trump or Q or BLM, so maybe black people should just shut up and consider how good they have it without a Chitauri invasion.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

sticklefifer posted:

Good job adding another bizarre racist strawman a full page after people were being cool about it, AJA. So proud of you.

It's really not that bizarre, it's just your own words. Again, for the cheap seats;

sticklefifer posted:

We're following a post-Thanos world, and it feels like they're wedging in real world issues because a boardroom of rich white guys mandated it. There's no reason to believe that after all the events in the MCU, modern society would be literally the same but also superheroes. The MCU didn't have Trump or Q or BLM,

Why you chose to associate BLM with Trump or Q is beyond me. Also, the fact that you think racial prejudice would just up and *poof*, post-2013, without them is, as you say, bizarre.

sticklefifer posted:

I don't necessarily need to be hearing about them through the lens of Disney Presents Wokeness™.
Nothing gets done in this world without corporate pressure. You know how the Klan first got named and shamed? Because Stetson Kennedy went to the writers of the Superman radio program and wrote the truth into their serial. But maybe they were just all "Presents Wokeness™," too.

AJA fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 30, 2021

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Howard made the shield out of an alloy of Vibranium and other things didn't he. He got the Vibranium from Wakanda but it was likely just a rock, or something not shield shaped.

Not that this isn't a very funny mental image, I'm just pretty sure I remember Howard made the shield himself but got the materials from Wakanda.

There was also a scene in Iron Man 2 where Tony is using a skeletal prototype shield as a paperweight and Coulson asks something like, "do you know what this is?"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

tsob posted:

I really don't see anything out of character or unexpected about that action. The guy with her was shocked, but that doesn't mean it's something that Karli would never do regardless.

"The guy with her" has been with her since the beginning. His reaction wasn't, "why do you keep doing that," it was "why did you do that thing you've never done before"? That was the entire point of his reaction, to show the audience that it was absolutely out of character.

Edit: you edited in more while I was replying! My post stands, but I understand what your expanded comments are saying.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Alchenar posted:

e: probably something that Spiderman is 2/2 on a short list.

It's been long established that Spider-Man and Batman are neck-and-neck for Best Rogues' Gallery, and that everyone else is miles behind.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

The fact that we don't have a film version of Clock King, Calendar Man, or Manbat is the reason the DCEU failed.

Right? The MCU made Mysterio work (fishbowl and all), I have no doubt they could do proper justice to the glory that is Clock King.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Zil posted:

Who would play Clock King?

Jared Leto :smug:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

live with fruit posted:

Also, Spellman said that Marvel was taking pitches for all secondary characters. The only living secondary character not getting their own show is Happy and what would that even be?

Happy has to choose between his loyalty to Stark Enterprises and his true passion as a chef. He goes on cross-country adventures in a food truck, with Tom Holland and John Leguizamo.

Dustin Hoffman co-stars as the villainous Clock King.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
It's just an hour of random characters ending up face-first in Widow and Witch's cleavage hilarious hijinks.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Marsupial Ape posted:

That’s why it’s full of wacky one liners, pop culture references, and overly emotional.

Ehh, it might be a chatbot, but it's still a Stark™ chatbot: Klaue didn't recognize Ultron from Grumpy Cat, he recognized it from a patented wacky Tony one-liner.

(....to be fair, the overly-emotional part may have come from Bruce, yes :black101: )

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Edmund Lava posted:

That scene felt very jarring as edited so I would like to see that actually. It was just a quick jump to the dance party and all of sudden welp guys time to go with little actually happening.

I wonder what was supposed to happen.

Sam and Zemo teaching Bucky the Macarena.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like that final scene is a nod to John Walker in the comics where he almost kills Spider-Woman in a blind rage while on the West Coast Avengers as US Agent.

Except this time it goes a little differently.

I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the Captain America arc where his parents are killed by a terrorist group and he loses his poo poo and kills them

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Marsupial Ape posted:

Public perception wise, assassinating Captain America would be almost as bad as punching Baby Yoda.

Watching the big fight scene it occurred to me that if Sam and Bucky hadn't interfered and the Dora Milaje had killed Walker, there would be no way the United States would have let CAPTAIN AMERICA be killed by a bunch of black terrorists without massive reprisal.

Somewhere on the Ancestral Plane, Killmonger's ghost got real excited for a second.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Nah, they definitely weren't trying to kill him. They were holding back and just stunted on him.

I would have to go back and see if the woman who pinned his shield instead of his heart was the same as the one who tried to skewer him a sec before. I think there is enough pride there to show the colonizer just how outclassed he is, but I also think there is too much professionalism to mess around on an op like that.

Either way, it doesn't matter in the context of the show, it was just a sort of What If...? thought I had.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

live with fruit posted:

Steve was just being the bigger man.

"So hey, I know my buddy slaughtered your mom and dad and I knew about it and kept it from you and then tried to get all moralistic when you found out and called me out on it, but have you maybe ever considered not being such a little baby momma's boy about it? Anyways, give me a call, we'll totally hang out. Y'know, if you stop being such a pissy bitch. Luv ya, Avengers 4 Eva!"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Ravel posted:

I do wish Civil War had as its motivating conflict something actually meaningful, and that had an impact in later films. The writers admit that the breakdown in relations at the end of the film had to be immediate because otherwise Tony would have rationally realized Bucky was not in control. And then the actual Avengers split doesn't impact anything story-wise in Infinity War. The reconciliation in Endgame is also a little empty because it's always going to seem trivial by that point.

There's no doubt Civil War was way too ambitious. It tried to be a Captain America movie, an Iron Man movie, and an Avengers movie all at the same time.

But I disagree with "trivial"; as you note, Tony accepted relatively quickly that his anger at Bucky was misplaced, and his friendship with Steve was deeper than his anger at perceived betrayal. But accepting something and admitting it are two different things, especially for Tony Stark, and that's why it took until Endgame to finally clear the air. Well, that and the whole we lost to Thanos and my greatest fears have come true and also, my PTSD is back thing. That's not trivial or empty, that's catharsis.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

BrianWilly posted:

Ahaha wtf, yeah no Steve and Tony might have respected each other as fellow heroes, but they were not friends and if you guys think that, you're 100% just seeing what you wanted to see instead of what was actually shown in the films which is that they butted heads, bickered, or outright attacked each other in nearly every single scene they ever shared. The fact that they couldn't come to terms with how outright, diametrically incompatible they were with each other as human beings set the stage for and inflamed the utter dissolution of their whole social group.

The only time they "outright attacked" each other was the breaking point in Civil War. And apologies for drawing conclusions about your social scene, but if you don't "butt heads" or "bicker" with your RL friends, then what you have might not be friends, but sycophants.

And they're not that diametrically incompatible. Steve comes to realize that Tony absolutely would lay down on the wire, and Tony understands that Steve is not some 2-dimensional icon, but a good man always trying to do the right thing, even if the easy way is to just cut the wire.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

BrianWilly posted:

In Age of Ultron, Steve and Tony outright threw shields and laser blasted each other regarding the fate of Vision.

I would argue the point, but I think it would be getting too far into the weeds ...um, plus, I totally forgot that scene. Point conceded.

BrianWilly posted:

I probably overreacted a bit but this thread has been really throwing me for a loop with how much people see the MCU that they want to see and not the MCU that actually existed
:imunfunny:

BrianWilly posted:

and as we all know there's nothing worse than having wrong opinions about comic book things.
:hai:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

tsob posted:

We do see them hanging out in Age of Ultron a few times, between the party and the film's conclusion where they're ribbing Thor about whether a lift is worthy if it takes Mjolnir up/down. They're friends. How close their friendship is is absolutely up for debate, but the films want you to take them as friends regardless.

Steve and Tony's relationship is the common through-line though every Avengers movie (and one Captain America film). From "genius, billionaire, philanthropist" / "put on the suit" to "so was I" / "I thought I was sparing you, but I was really sparing myself" to final catharsis. To me that seems like a lot of time devoted to a simple working relationship or even a case of mutual respect. I can't disprove that, but I think the character beats (not to mention what is the load-bearing relationship at the heart of Civil War) would be much poorer viewing them in that light.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

10 Beers posted:

Didn't Steve not know aboutit actually being Bucky who killed Tony's parents until he saw the video, too? In CA:TWS Zola tells him Hydra had to remove obstacles("Accidents will happen") as he flashes a picture of Howard Stark. But then he also flashes a picture of Peggy, who at the time is an old woman living in a home after a long and fulfilling life.

I suppose it's an open question of how long he knew, but "I guess I thought by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but I can see now that I was really sparing myself, and I'm sorry. Hopefully one day you can understand" seems pretty conclusive.

BIG 'ALREADY ANSWERED' EDIT: yowza. That's why you refresh before post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

howe_sam posted:

"That thing does not obey the laws of physics at all."
-Parker, Peter
not an :emptyquote:

Also, I had to go back to look up "Contessa Valentina." It's been a minute since I've read old Fury/SHIELD comics. On first watch I thought they were introducing her as the MCU Val Cooper (and I'm disappointed they weren't, because what the hell with the Mystique-colored highlights then)? Meh.