Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Paul Bettany said in an interview recently that there's something in the season they've been able to keep completely under wraps, and it's an actor he's always wanted to work with, so it'd be wild if the uncle for the Family Ties episode is Tom Hanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Phylodox posted:

They have worked together, though. The DaVinci Code.

Oh you’re right, wasn’t Bettany the self-flagellating priest?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, since this show leads to Dr. Strange's next movie, I think people are expecting him.

I'd say it's either Fassbender or McKellan as Magneto or Jackman.

I'm down to see McKellan play Jackman.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Klungar posted:

Is there any reason to think that Aaron Taylor-Johnson wouldn't have returned if asked? Leading to the "recasting"?

Nah, it’s probably for the same reason JK Simmons showed up as JJJ from the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies at the end of Far from Home.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

And the upside to that too is I think most actors would relish the chance to get to be in those moments.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oasx posted:

I can’t really see them keeping any of the current cast. The few great performances all happened in the original incarnation of the x-men movies, and the only ones I could see them want back is Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, both of which are probably done with the roles.
Better to just start over and fix all the mistakes Sony made.

I could see them tossing RDJ-levels of money at Jackman to come back later as Old Man Logan. It'd fund whatever vanity projects he has, he could wear a padded jacket or something to cover up most of his physique so he wouldn't have to kill himself working out, and it still leaves them open to recasting a younger Wolverine (or just bringing back Daphne Keen). It all depends on how done he really feels about the character.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I just wish Erik Larsen had any interest in letting someone make Savage Dragon into a series. That book has had so many tonal shifts over the years it’d be easy to switch it up each season.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I think you referenced the wrong Zoddamned Terrance.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Edmund Lava posted:

Herbert is the name of the High Evolutionary in the comics, and the one responsible for the twins getting their powers in the current origin.

I’m assuming he’s just a guy and the name is just a reference.

The thought of the almighty High Evolutionary trimming hedges makes me laugh, tho.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

tsob posted:

Thor's outfit and look in Love & Thunder is apparently modeled on Thunderstrike. I'd presume Jane gets Mjolnir, and he gets a new weapon to go along with that look. Here's hoping Beta Ray Bill shows up too.

He has Stormbreaker already. I’m with you on hoping Bill shows up, too

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

RedTeam posted:

Agatha is also close enough to Agnes that it look a bit for me to realise they were even saying she was actually someone else lol

I like that her real name is tailor made for shortening. Agatha Harkness.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Collapsing Farts posted:

Possibly, but the only reason iVision got his mind back was because Wandavision stuffed memories in his brain

The memories were already there, just locked away. WandaVision did the same mind unlocking ability he used on Norm and Darcy.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Its been ages since I’ve read Truth, but wouldn’t shifting Isaiah Bradley to Vietnam ruin the entire point of his story? I thought the whole idea was that just like Tuskegee, the US Government tested the Super Soldier Serum on black people first.

Edit: yep. Hazy memory. They were trying to recreate the formula. So, yeah shifting him to Vietnam would work fine. I nominate Michael Jai White, who is 53. Terry Crews as a backup, who is 52. If Marvel wanted to work their de-aging magic then go for Carl Weathers, who is 73.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Carl Lumbly has been cast as TBD so everyone thinks that's him. And he's 70 years old.

Syncs up well with Zack Snyder’s Justice League coming out Thursday. Looks like we got an Amalgam movie coming boys! Brb gotta write an article for wegotthiscovered

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My source says he’s up on the moon, watching over everyone.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Walker is also...stronger than original Cap

Where is that info from?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

tsob posted:

Isn't that the Tobey McGuire or maybe Andrew Garfield Spiderman suit? The ribbing on the red looks like it's raised and lighter colored there, where Holland's suit has flat black lines. There's no thick black lines around the eyes either.

Based on the shape of the eyes, I’d say it’s the McGuire suit.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Avengers has probably the biggest audience reaction moment in the entire mcu (puny god, yes more than "on your left") and one of the two moments in the entire mcu that genuinely thrilled me (the Thanos reveal, Nick Fury at the end of the first Iron Man is the other) so for as much as Whedon is an rear end, the movie isn't all bad.

Entirely anecdotal because not every audience is the same, but Cap lifting Mjolnir and the “on your left” portals scene made puny god pale in comparison.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Diabetic posted:

I'd honestly like to see Quill being more bisexual in the movies, as he is now in comics, I imagine it'd make Chris Pratt squirm a bit, and that'd be fun enough alone for the backstage drama.

Man, we could've had this scene from Halt and Catch Fire, but with Ronan and Quill...

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m sure they will for season 2, should they do it.

VVVV More like Captain America and Sarah’s Boyfriend

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 23, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Desperado Bones posted:

lol The Mandalorian. The majority of the times it wasn't Pedro Pascal under the helmet. Kudos to the body double.

The body double being John Wayne’s grandson is a nice western connection, Wayne’s politics notwithstanding.

Edit: Here’s a great interview with him.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 25, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Counterpoint: the showrunner for FATWS is also writing Captain America 4, so the chances of the show’s character development and its themes carrying forward are pretty good.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Whatever happens, I’m gonna need a scene with Bucky poking all the pressure points on Sam’s suit to see if the wings fall off, “just to be safe.”

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Her greatest power is never having to worry about her order getting messed up at a restaurant.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

:aaa:

Why does it seem like this is only a Louisiana Comic Book Character thing?

The Louisiana Head Sock is second only to the Tennessee Top Hat for head/hairwear.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Cage Kicker posted:

So...no Wakandan Megazord then I take it :(

Bucky does have a bit of a Tommy vibe going on.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anyone catch that ring being used as a paperweight at the end of the credits? I’m at work and can’t check but my first thought was a sling ring but I think it only went on one finger

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m all for Lokie Daytona, Regular Asgardian Bartender.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Black Widow probably would've had her own movie in Phase 1 or 2 if it weren't for Ike Perlmutter.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

I have no comics background at all so I didn't know what to expect or not regarding Taskmaster the character, but I felt like it was just a bit of a waste that they only really showed or used the character's mimicry powers once, the very first time she engaged Natasha.

Not really. Taskmaster also used, just off the top of my head, Steve’s shield throw and style, Hawkeye’s archery skills, Black Panther’s claw reveal, and Bucky’s knife flip.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gangringo posted:

I realized I had never watched Season 2 of the punisher and it has all the same problems as the rest of the Netflix shows.

1-2 episodes of setup and good action.

8-10 episodes of dragging terrible overly dramatic conversations on the same 3 sets interspersed with a few okay action scenes that accomplish nothing and have basically no stakes. Primary characters are either forced to avoid each other or escape in increasingly stupid ways so the show can continue shambling on.

1-2 episodes of an attempt at a big finale that they don't actually have the budget for.

I think every one of the Netflix series would have been improved by shortening the series by a couple episodes, and splitting the A and B plots of the season into two tighter mini-arcs.

Yeah I tell people to watch the the first three(?) episodes, which make a good last stand kinda movie, and then watch the gym fight on Youtube.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

live with fruit posted:

I'm also hoping for an explanation as to how Mysterio knew about all of this.

Far From Home takes place eight months after Endgame, while this is only a week or so after.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah, it was in the excellent Hickman run on Fantastic Four and Future Foundation. Majors would def work for Reed but I'd hope they'd avoid erasing Ben Grimm's Jewish heritage since I think it's relevant to his character. Elba could be good as Doom, but again, it would come with a set of issues from erasing a prominent Romani character's ethnicity.

Then cast Eric Andre for Ben.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Majors’ performance reminded me a bit of James Hong’s David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

What? No, they just pruned Loki and the immediate vicinity.

Edit: That was responding to Mulva

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Pruning the condescension and snark, we agree on a lot more than you might think.

quote:

Do you get what the concept of pruning is? It's eliminating the variation from how time is in He Who Remains' reality so there is only the one timeline, rather than a multiverse of events.

Not quite. It’s eliminating the variances that would eventually lead to a Kang being created.
If there were only one timeline, then Dr Strange wouldn’t have been able to do what he did in Infinity War.

quote:

The way that time is supposed to go doesn't involve the plot of Endgame.

That doesn’t mesh with what was shown in this series. Endgame still happened, Loki still vanished with the Tesseract. He got heisted by the TVA and, like you said, those people got punted to the end of time to be Alioth food (or at least I think they did, I’d have to go back and watch it again to see if it actually showed them being pruned). What didn’t happen was them retroactively adjusting the timeline so that Loki *didn’t* get away with the Tesseract.

quote:

Episode 5 told you that the Void is where they drop the timelines that get pruned. Not just people, but land and buildings and everything.

People, land, buildings, tanks, etc. do not equal an entire timeline. It’s just a conglomeration of all the pruned things. As shown, Alioth eats people pretty well, but leaves inorganic matter behind (the ship from the Philadelphia experiment, Old Loki’s crown, everything else lying around in the Void, etc.), probably because a building can’t create a new Kang.

Look at the Sacred Timeline for this like a rope made of tens of millions of fibers, and at the end of the rope is He Who Remains. Throughout time, one of those fibers might come loose. The TVA is there to remove whatever caused it to slip and tuck the thread back into the rope’s fibers. That’s how Strange was still able to sort through 14 million whatever timelines and find the one that led to victory.

I’d continue the analogy but I gotta get back to training. Uhhhh multiverse isn’t just different timelines it’s different dimensions (universes), which is what was colliding at the start of ep 6. Back later.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Grumbles posted:

The suggestion is always that something deviating from the timeline kind of ripples out through space in its cause and effect, at which point the line crosses the threshold and a new universe is created. So I think it is supposed to be just the one universe/timeline. Otherwise its needlessly complicated for a big mainstream comic book thing. Along those lines, I don't know if it's worth using that one scene in Infinity War to try and overengineer how this all works (also dr strange is just looking into every possibility right? there's a million reasons they could pluck out of thin air for why that doesn't mean there are millions of other universes that exist alongside the sacred timeline) but also they show you the line on the screen and everything. If it was multiple but similar timelines, I'm sure they would have made that much clearer.

I don’t disagree that it’s needlessly complicated, but they don’t seem to be shying away from bugfuck craziness. There’s the timeline as shown at the end of episode six. You can see that the branches are smaller than the Sacred TimelineTM, and are even an intertwined bundle on the main path.

Edit: also just wanna say I’m enjoying all this speculation. Takes me back to the days of sitting around at the comic shop talking bonkers theories.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 15, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The only good pitch meeting there ever was was Key and Peele’s Gremlins 2 pitch.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That Marvel game is pretty fun, and the customization lets you make whatever your heart desires, even if that desire is chaos. There’s a bunch of us on the Sakaar 1 server under MarbleHebrons. Stop by!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Uh, he is clearly wearing his Winter Soldier SHIELD outfit during the Battle of New York. Sheesh cmon costumers /s