Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Can I ask a general MCU question here? I'm rewatching the first Avengers movie and what is Tony Stark doing at the beginning? He's underwater and cuts open what I assume is a power line and then puts some device on it. Pepper mentions something about being off the grid and then they turn on the arc reactor to power Stark Tower so uh, what was that thing? Some kind of device to trick the power company into thinking Stark Tower was still pulling electricity? What's the point of that when it's already public knowledge who Iron Man is and Tony is already working with the government?

Yeah yeah comic book movie etc etc etc

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that was the arc reactor. Don't know why he would do it in the middle of the river instead of at the base of the tower but that's what I got out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Spacebump posted:

What about Agnes's necklace? It looks like 3 people with the middle one holding a scythe to me. I'd guess Agatha, Grim Reaper, and either Mephisto or Nick Scratch. However, I haven't read many stories with those characters so I don't know much about them.

It'd be weird but this show is already weird and Evan Peters could get away with playing someone in their 20s. It's not the most solid idea but it'd be fun.

Thanks

Agnes necklace speculation spoiler: If it is Agnes as a witch, it could be the maiden, the mother, and the crone which is a witches coven.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Guessing ep 4 might be the SWORD crew watching an episode of 'WandaVision' and trying to piece together what they've worked out about what's happening.

I know Kat Denning's character from Thor is in this, and the bit after the sitcom part where someone is watching the episode kind of looks like her. Now that we know someone is outside the town watching it, I could see it as her character got brought in for her expertise with weird infinity stone poo poo and we finally find out some of what's going on.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I was actually thinking there'd be a joke where she THINKS that's why she's there and Jimmy Woo or someone explains it's actually because of her expertise in old sitcoms from spending most of her college experience getting stoned and watching Nick At Nite.

Could easily be both. There was someone just as qualified scientifically, but they were one of those people who "Doesn't own a TV man" so they went with her instead.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

so is Monica the only competent SWORD agent? because looks like they brought in the comic relief from Antman & Wasp, and Thor for this mission

I think they're trying to bring in other competent people who aren't giant stars. Jimmy Woo was dumb compared to Ant-Man, and whatever Darcy's faults she still studied and trained under two of the finer minds SHIELD was aware of and could get to work for them. She has experience with the Stones and like Selvig's character, would be somewhat controllable.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Harlock posted:

So given what the

Blip scenes showed us- people definitely fuckin died when they reappeared in mid-air with no airplane around them.

Blip spoilers It was specific in the movie, bring them back "safely". So if someone was in a plane, they ended up on the ground, a ship they went to the nearest coast or something, on a subway they ended up in the nearest station, that kind of thing. No word on what happened to the plane that lost it's pilot, but the passengers on things would have been safe.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I like Visions floppy 80s hair. It's very Julian Glover in Scrooged.

Also, the house is Growning Pains right? I remember the Family Ties one looking different, though I think that was mostly in the Kitchen? I haven't seen any of these shows in 30 years.

I think more Family Ties, for some reason I think of that as a house with a more wood panelled/brownish interior and Growing Pains as more white paint.

Though the theme song for this week somehow got way more than just one vibe to it. It's really good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

!Klams posted:

Umm, I mean maybe I'm wrong but given what happens in the episode I'm fairly certain that it's because, the deal with fox was, marvel couldn't use the names Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver, because they had them. So him asking about it and needling the point is kind of a fourth wall wink, in that, we know, yes she does, but also that you can't acknowledge it.... ...yet! That they then go on to call it a hex, is skirting super close, and then finally the reveal at the end completes the gag

This was weird rights thing from back when Marvel didn't own all of them. [/spoiler]Marvel could use them as long as their powers weren't because they were mutants, Fox could use them as long as they were mutants. I think they just didn't like the name Scarlet Witch. There was some infographic from a while back showing all the different companies who owned different things, and there were a lot of overlapping characters because in the comics so many characters had been in so many teams. [/spoiler]

Barry Convex posted:

so, barring the possibility that Aaron Taylor-Johnson returns as Pietro at some point in the last four episodes, I wonder whether there's bad blood between him and Marvel or whether he just didn't want to return. more likely the latter though

I'm guessing they just wanted to do something with an X-Man because they can now, rather than anything to do with the actors. I'm assuming either one would love to have a recurring role in Marvel movies, even if it wasn't a big one like Thor or Hulk.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

I really wanted that episode to be a pilot for a series where Paul Scheer tries to make obscure Marvel characters marketable. Even just one-issue characters or corny 60s villains could be really fun, there's SO much buried content there.

I still think Condiment Man could be interesting somehow, I just can't figure out how.

A Legends of Tomorrow type series with all the weirdo Marvel people from way back when could work, throw some spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks kind of thing. It also gives you an excuse to drop people and bring in new ones at any time.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

swickles posted:

Yeah one thing to keep in mind is the timing of all this. This isn't two years later, this is literally weeks after Wanda came unsnapped and the events of Endgame. To her the events of Infinity War including Vision's death are still fresh. He did have a good point was he implying that Woo and Darcy were also snapped? that those who weren't snapped had a huge task to try and keep the society going in a way that didn't lead tona mass extinction.

I saw an interview with with Woo and Darcy. Kat Dennings asked and was told that Darcy was specifically not snapped. Woo didn't ask so he's not sure. Either way, Hayward was talking to Rambeau at the time so he was definitely referencing her. The other two he doesn't give a poo poo about.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zil posted:

I just hope the Hayward and wonder trio stuff is so cliche intentionally to lull the viewer into a false sense of security.

I do too, Darcy and Woo seem to be pretty popular characters. I don't think it's Phil Coulson levels of popular, but they picked the right people for those parts.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Quiet Python posted:

The thing I keep coming back to is Darcy's question "Why a sitcom?" If Wanda wanted to live an idyllic life with Vision and her kids, she could have wound up in a Disney movie or a historical romance or any other happy little genre setting. But we still don't know why Wandavision is a sitcom. I wonder if Pietro's comment that Wanda's parents "would love this" means that it was Wanda and Pietro's parents who were big fans of sitcoms and that's why Wanda finds the genre so comforting. It's the only connection to her parents she has left.

Why a sitcom is easier if you ask "Why not a movie?" Movies end. There's a "Happily Ever After" but that happens off screen and so does it really happen? Sitcoms can go on forever, they can change form, change format, even change characters, but you can keep going. There's been soap operas on the air for 40 years straight with the same storyline and sometimes the same actors. If she doesn't want the happiness to end, it needs to be a TV show not a movie.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also sitcoms play based on the reality that you know, idealized (for the most part) but somewhat familiar. So its reality but just slightly off from real reality.

Oh yeah, there's a ton of reasons. I was just responding to why it wouldn't be movie.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Why would Jimmy have mentioned the name of the person in the Witness Protection Program he was looking into? How would that possibly have organically come up when he's talking to people that aren't even in the same agency? "So I came to Westview to check on someone who's identity I'm trying to keep a secret, btw his full real name is John Snitcherson just in case you were wondering, anyway..."

I just assumed it did come up at some point when they were identifying people. People in WitSec get government issued ID's, so it's not like they're even fake. They were going through the people, Jimmy said "I know that guy, he's who I came here looking for." And then everyone moved on, if it's in a file it's probably classified so no way the name is going to come out anyways.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

Remember that, at the beginning, the 1950s version of the Wandavision show they're all watching had a cast of like six people. There's just under 4,000 people missing (before episode 6 likely increased that number), and we saw them identify a handful. Twenty or so? S.W.O.R.D. only gets to see what Wanda is putting into her show. As Vision just found out, any person not involved in Wanda's life or field of view is considered irrelevant, and gets stuck in a loop as set dressing, or just hidden from sight entirely. (like all other children before episode 6)

Odds are good that they've only identified, or even seen a tiny small percentage of the town's population, because most of them haven't been on Wanda's show.

That's true, but either way no one really cares about someone in WitSec. There'd be a note somewhere to grab them when this ends, but otherwise it's not a high priority.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nerdietalk posted:

That was transcendent.

Does the mailman's company logo being "Presto" mean anything?

It's a common thing for magicians to say? He's basically a UPS guy, but they probably can't use UPS symbols. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing it's just a generic logo they could use to show he's a package delivery guy.

As for the opening credits, I thought I was the only one who caught the "I know what you did Wanda" thing. That was creepy. But did anyone else get Happy Endings vibes from the opening credits? I didn't watch Modern Family so maybe they had the same style.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I do kind of wonder about what happened When Agatha wanted Wanda to look at the mole on her back. It seemed cut weird, kind of like when we saw in the earlier episodes the stuff that was cut out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Everyone posted:

To be fair, "Hey, would you look at this weird, gross thing that's growing on my skin?" is actually a pretty good way to get somebody to hustle you out of their house. Agatha wanted the kids out of there because they'd keep pushing Mom to find Dad. Agatha wanted Wanda to be alone and kind of depressed. The kids being there worked against that so she came and got them. And then used the mole thing as part of a "sitcomy" way to get Wanda to want her and the kids out of there.

Oh, I got that part. It just seemed cut weirdly, like it was more than that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It really is a crime especially since they casted her so perfectly.

Wait, was there a live action one or are you talking about the animated one she was a part of?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

That said, I get why they did this from a filmmaking perspective, but it never had to be a snap. The possessor of the Gauntlet can use the powers at will, so physically preventing Thanos from snapping his fingers shouldn't do anything. He should just be able to think "erase everyone" as soon as he puts it on, and the other snaps shouldn't have been required of Hulk or Stark.

It's dumb, but I remember the press around the time of the films. They said it was something Thanos thought he needed to do, basically a psychological tick so he wouldn't accidentally access the power. If it was just every thought like "Hey, I'd like some ice cream" and then all of sudden 5 tons of mint chocolate chip landed on him that would be bad for him. Having to snap his fingers allowed him to concentrate on the thing he wanted done. All the heroes were probably doing the same thing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Klungar posted:

The third Tom Holland Spider-Man movie just got an official title of "Spider-Man: No Way Home" with this image:

(Note the numerous hexes throughout the image)

Those are literally chemicals. Peter makes his own webfluid, and chemistry is built on a ton of 6 membered rings. Pretty sure it's just to show it's sciencey rather than a reference to Wanda.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xachariah posted:

Well two of the hexagons are chemicals, bottom right benzene and top 2-hydroxybenzoic acid (I think?), 2-hydroxybenzoic acid is used in anti-acne cream so that could be a joke or coincidence or I got the chemical wrong I dunno I'm not a chemist.

The other hexagon sets don't appear to be chemicals, the one by home sweet home and the one by homesick. Could be a sneaky reference to alternate universes or just some other sciency stuff.

EDIT: Oh there's another benzene related chemical on the far left I didn't notice, can't tell what it is.

Those other two you're talking about are a substituted cyclohexyl ring and some sort of fused ring system. If you want to think they're just hexagons that's fine, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Hex from WandaVision.

The far left one looks like an aromatic ring with some non-carbons in it, but it's too blurry to identify. Maybe a substituted pyridine or something like that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

About Agatha, It almost seemed like when they did the flashback and a couple of times during the episode that Agatha didn't seem fully in control of herself. I think I just misread her performance, but for a bit it seemed like she was trying to say she didn't want to steal the magic, or a few other spots where she it almost seemed like someone else was speaking as Agatha. It's probably just Kathryn Hahn, but it seemed that way to me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

That one seems fine to me, since Banner was specifically trying to scare Nat away and make her think that involving him was a terrible idea. He was trying to be out of character there, hoping she'd get creeped out and leave him alone. Apparently, she's into that.

Yeah, that's the vibe I always got from that scene. He just got tricked into meeting with a Shield spy who's trying to recruit him. Of course he's going to be a little hostile towards a woman he's never met tricking him, and then trying to recruit him to work for an intelligence agency who doesn't have the greatest history of being honest about their motivations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Lammasu posted:

How do you know Jimmy is still in San Francisco? Also, if you want to get super technical the FBI doesn't run the witness protection program. It's supervised by the US Marshals.

True, but they wouldn't be in Witness Protection unless they were a witness that was needed in a trial, and the FBI would be someone who put them in the program. It's not crazy to think he'd occasionally check up on a witness in one of his cases, and them disappearing along with the entire town in a world with superheroes would easily merit him showing up to check it out.

I think people are reading way too much into it. He's the Coulson of these phases, someone normal that people can identify with. It works, he's definitely likeable and someone fun to look out for but they might not work to hard to fit him in. He just needs a reasonable explanation to be somewhere, and that's why they said there was a witness there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Vindicator posted:

John really thinks he's owed something, and it digs at him. Steve was humble. John thinks he's earned it, but he also feels inadequate in it. Even the line about jumping on four grenades... it came out too quick, like he had to prove himself just a little too hard. That "we are the government" line is also interesting. Makes me wonder what Walker would have said if he was sitting at the table discussing the Sokovia Accords with the rest of the Avengers.

The best part about the grenades thing was how he had a specially made helmet for doing that, it was a thing he did kind of as a trick. Contrast that with Steve's jumping on a grenade, and you get two very different people.

I don't know if new-Cap really got powers yet, so far it's been standard action hero stuff but he's definitely got something weird going on. He just doesn't sit right with me.

And even the villains aren't really so bad yet, so far Bucky and Sam are just tracking them down because they kind of got told to. Stealing vaccines and medical supplies is bad, but understandable.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

howe_sam posted:

I know Whedon was involved in the creation of AoS, but even he said "are you nuts? He's dead." when people asked him if Coulson was going to make an appearance in Age of Ultron

Which is really weird, as he's the guy who rebuilt Fury's helicarrier for Age of Ultron. According to AoS anyways, I know it's not canon but at the time it was a long running subplot on the show.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I thought Karli's turn to violence was pretty well telegraphed. She just lost her mom, she found dudes guarding what was probably medicine that could've saved her and wasn't. It's not like this is the loving 1800's, we can cure tuberculosis the only reason not to is to deny someone medical treatment and it's just evil.
In the lab scene they focused way, way too much on the stuff in the test tubes. I'll have to rewatch, but it kind of looked like one of them was full, then was empty the next time they showed it. No way the dude who figured out how to make Super Soldier Serum and then got it stolen wasn't making more. He knew how, no reason not to run the reactions again.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Solenna posted:

This actually ties in okay with the current eye candy discussion, I was really surprised there were no sexy lady background dancers in Madripoor this last episode. drat near every club or fancy party scene I can think of shoehorns in a couple shots of some sexy lady dancing on a platform or whatever and honestly it was kind of nice to see a tv show not go that direction for once.

There is apparently more footage of Zemo dancing though, along with reactions from Bucky and Sam that didn't make it into the episode. That I would love to see as a deleted scene somewhere on Disney+.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

Zemo doesn't really say that. He just says anyone who pursues super power should by definition not be trusted with it. They don't need to be corrupted or become evil. It's the inheritant desire that's wrong.

That is setting it up for Sam to take the shield perfectly though. He keeps turning it down, and won't take the serum either even if given the chance.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mayor Dave posted:

I think he was the only one who got the vita ray version, right?

Makes as much sense as anything else.

text editor posted:

It's crazy how good this show is about positioning it's themes. Acting is great, script is great and narrative is cohesive. People here hit on some good ones

Yeah, they are structuring the "Steve was right about Sam" theme well. I also am fairly certain that the shield is gone after this season. That final shot wasn't only a great comic-booky shot, it was a good metaphor for how the symbol of Captain America is stained. I think If Anything, Sam will carry on Isaiah's legacy[/spoiler]

Walker untrained compared to Bucky, undisciplined compared to the Dora Milaje, and uncaring compared to Sam. Really great job contrasting him to the others. Also, I can't stress this enough, but this episode was the one that 100% the correct choice to portray Walker, his facial expressions and delivery really sell the character, his struggles, and make you hate hi, pity him, and sympathize with him all at once.

Walker is definitely a lower tier fighter compared to the other people on the show. Sam's fought supervilains, Bucky spent 70 years only being woken up to go kill people so basically constant war and he was already a decorated combat vet, and the Dora Milaje are the best of the best with amazing tech to back them up. I think his whole "They're not even superr soldiers" bit was about how hes spent his whole life training and being told he's the best, only to get clowned by some unpowered people. Even Steve spent his life trying to win fights as a scrawny dude, Walker's never really been at a disadvantage and now when he's supposed to be the best of the best and his first real test is him getting toyed with.

As for the shield, I think Sam's either getting Steve's, or Wakanda is going to give him one that he can use with his wings.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

They need to bring Ultron back to give him better movie. They might even do it eventually.

Oh and make Thanos just really wanna bang death.

That could be the next Deadpool. If I recall Marvel Death is not interested in Thanos, but she's sort of into Deadpool at least in a "Why can't this guy come say hi?" kind of way.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Floppychop posted:

iirc it's more of a wants what she can't have.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but the idea remains the same. You could toss it into Deadpool, even have Vanessa become Death somehow or something.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn’t Sam say that Tony had a crack at upgrading his wings? They certainly look different now than before, much more bird like.

It would make sense he'd upgrade the wings somewhat. Probably arc reactor powered now or something, and a lot more bullet resistant than they were before. The military built the originals, and so they'd have built them to do the job of getting in, fixing a dude, and getting out not for being in a fight. Probably from the lowest bidder or whatever congressman's state they had to appeal to that week.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Everyone posted:

If it's Zola the AI behind it, he probably hacked/possessed the robot bodyguard. At which point the person who knows Zola best would be Bucky. When your kid gets kidnapped by Arnim Zola, robot rear end in a top hat, you don't call your friendly neighborhood Spider Boy, you call James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes, who knows Zola and how he operates and is also one of the deadliest people on the planet to get her back from him. At which point the Nu-HYDRA corpses begin to pile up and maybe we get some scenes with Bucky and Morgan like the ones with Jason Statham and the baby on the plane in Fate of the Furious.

Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owens had some similar stuff, and it was a really fun movie. Bucky getting Tony's kid back would be interesting, especially since Pepper still has her suit for backup. Getting Paltrow back would be the only hurdle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

That explains why security felt so relaxed (and how Zemo got that card so easily and was able to have a chill breakout).

I won't mention prisons in my country cuz they are actual shitholes where you can come out a better criminal.

It also might be extra security. Zemo was in the Super-Super Max part, so to make it harder to escape maybe the only exit is through the rest of the prison. If someone from the CIA or Wakanda wanted to question him they'd have to go through the rest of it too. More people and guards to see him and go "Hey, dudes escaping, lock that poo poo down".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Just Andi Now posted:

I think the shield in the concrete is meant to make you go "Huh?" and then it's confirmed with the pipe.

That's how I read it. Plus, that's when it was confirmed for the people he was fighting, the shield in the wall the dude was running away and could have just not seen it. As soon as he bent the pipe the dude reacted like "Oh poo poo, this is bad".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

OB_Juan posted:

I think it's a thing where politically, nothing can change the fact that he let the guy who killed T'Chaka out. The Dora Milaje can see why, and can see that he also brought him back, but that parts not going to be in the news as much, so he's still a liability.

Plus, it wasn't really for him. It's for Sam, I'm assuming it's a kickass suit and some wings. T'Challa liked Steve, and Steve's chosen replacement needing new gear is probably something they wouldn't mind handing over. I doubt it was even hard for them, they already are way ahead of everyone else. Hell, giving Sam a 20 year old suit would still be miles ahead of anything anyone besides Iron Man would have had.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I legit think Mackie gets an Emmy nom for this

I'm betting Disney+ has a big push for the next Emmy's for a lot of their actors. Even the nominations get them more eyes on their stuff, and they can use it as marketing.
Mackie got's a better chance than Stan I think, but there's been some really good acting so far in these shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I forgot that element Tony invented in Iron Man 3.

And I guess Pym Particles. And that Quantum stuff they took for Ghost and time travel.

Pym Particles I always thought were an actual molecule, not an element so they wouldn't be on the periodic table. Similar thing to the Quantum stuff, it's not an element with protons and neutrons and electrons so it goes somewhere else.

In It For The Tank posted:

Walker has mastered the art of the down smash and won't let something like a broken shield stop him from using it.

If anything , it being sharp will only make him more effective/dangerous.