Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Barry Convex posted:

so, barring the possibility that Aaron Taylor-Johnson returns as Pietro at some point in the last four episodes, I wonder whether there's bad blood between him and Marvel or whether he just didn't want to return. more likely the latter though

I think it’s not necessarily either of those things, more that one of the few things that Wanda can’t do is bring someone back from the dead, so in order to bring him back she had to pull a version of Pietro from another universe. It would’ve been possible to cast Aaron Taylor-Johnson again but that wouldn’t make it as clear what she’s doing and wouldn’t have the same implications for the multiverse.

Plus the Evan Peters version is more popular anyway. I don’t know much about Taylor-Johnson but he’s only been in a couple things since Age of Ultron, I can’t imagine he wouldn’t want to return to the only role most people know him from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

BrianWilly posted:

ok lol

(spoilers for yesterday's ep)

the song in the show sounded really familiar to me but I couldn’t place it, but hearing it covered like this made me remember... the intro is extremely similar to this song by the band Brave Combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juV0vQ_gnhI

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This might be a stretch to think they planned this out in advance, but someone pointed out on Twitter that there might be a Doctor Strange connection to Wandavision.

- In Doctor Strange, when he goes to the "forbidden" section of the library there are two books missing. The one Kaecilius took and an unidentified second blank spot.
- The books in the forbidden section are stored on hexagonal mantles.
- The book in Agatha's basement looks like one of the forbidden books from Doctor Strange.
- The forbidden books in Doctor Strange all have some kind of symbol or decoration on the front without any text and Agatha's book also has a symbol in the same style with no text or title.

Doctor Strange came out during the season of Agents of SHIELD with the Darkhold (and when the show still had some very loose ties to what was happening in the MCU), and I remember people pointing to the missing book in that scene as a possible connection then too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
it'll be revealed next episode that Sparky was actually a rabid possum that became a cute dog when Wanda hexed it, so actually Agatha is a hero who euthanized a sick animal humanely

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

The United States posted:

My favorite part was when they had the DARKHOLD of DARKNESS: THE DARKENING, a magic book where reading it makes you evil and insane, and they had the bright idea to have a robot read it because it couldn't possibly work on a robot, and then that robot turned evil and insane.

I loved that season, the actress who played Aida was so good. In fact AoS S4, taken on its own, might be my favorite MCU thing to date.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of Jimmy, remember his person in witness protection? Are we supposed to remember?

pretty sure that was just a generic reason to explain why the FBI would be visiting this particular small town, doesn't seem important beyond that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

live with fruit posted:

It's not a line, though. It's the reason why Jimmy, who is based out of San Francisco, found himself in New Jersey in time for Wanda's shenanigans. Especially if part of the point is setting Jimmy up for future movies/shows, it'd be strange for him to end the show without actually coming back to his original motivation.

His motivation wasn't the missing person though, he only flew out there once he realized something strange was going on with the town. In the scene where he and Monica meet he says "Something seemed hinky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with local law enforcement".

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
It’d be real boring if every future MCU project is either another origin story or has to explain why it’s heroes weren’t fighting Thanos. I’d be fine if they don’t mention it at all.

Also that Avengers discussion bit definitely felt at odds with the rest of the footage, I wonder if it was specific filmed for the trailer

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

live with fruit posted:

One of the rumors is that they all have amnesia and don't realize that they're Eternals until something snaps them out of it, probably one of the snaps.

I think I read it will pull at least a little from the 2006 Neil Gaiman run of Eternals, which starts with the main character in that exact situation.

That’s the only Eternals comic I’ve read but it was pretty good, I’m looking forward to the film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Chloe Bennett left the Powerpuff Girls show for “scheduling reasons” so let’s all wildly speculate that it’s because she is playing Quake in an upcoming MCU project and not because that show was going to be terrible

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1425563061973180418?s=21

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
That was a good trailer, seems clear that all of the actual scenes shown are from the first act and then just brief glimpses of the rest of the film. Also Molina as Doc Ock was the best movie Spidey villain by a lot so super glad to see him.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh duh,I missed it at first but the main villain could be The Sinister Six, right? Ock, Goblin, Electro, Vulture and Mysterio have all been introduced, you only need Kraven.

Not certain but it's a possibility now, or maybe for next movie

I called multiverse Sinister Six back when the first casting rumors started circulating, would be neat if that came true

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I just want Clark Gregg to play Coulson forever

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Next week’s episode is looking good:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Make the fantastic 4 movie a period piece set in the 60s or dont even bother

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
yeah as much as I love them in the comics, big stretchy hands would be really hard to pull off in live action without looking stupid. Plus Mr Fantastic is coming at some point and the powers are pretty similar. And like Oasx said, the writing and characterization is what’s important, not the specifics of how she punches people.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 24, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be nothing, but I’ve seen “people” make complaints to the effect of Ms Marvel being “fatphobic” or “body negative” because she can make her body look however she wants but still “chooses” to be kinda normal looking skinny Pakistani woman. I sincerely hope this isn’t a response to that. I started seeing this discourse pop up around the time the Avengers game dropped and lots of people discovered her for the first time.

what an incredibly stupid take. :psyduck: That’s what she looked like before going through terragenesis and part of her first story arc is to stop using her powers to shape shift into Carol Danvers and just be herself.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Went to see Eternals last night, I feel like it would've worked a lot better as a limited series. There were parts of it I liked a lot but there were too many characters and not enough time was spent on most of them for me to be very invested in what happened.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
At one point it was literally his job to track down and kill Black Widows, he would have no problem recognizing one from gear/fighting style/whatever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

BRJohnson posted:

Also, (SMNWH) why does redeeming the villians save them, if they were dead in their realities what does their post mortem change of heart accomplish?

(no way home spoiler) they weren't dead quite yet, they were sucked out of their realities right before dying and having the change of heart is supposedly enough to stop them from doing whatever it was that killed them when they get back. e.g. Doc Ock being free of the influence of the arms means he lets go or whatever and doesn't get sucked into the river

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

untagged spoilers

hey might want to spoiler tag that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Sorry, I just edited it in.

He's in the trailers, so I didn't think it was a major spoiler.

eh better safe then sorry, lots of people haven't seen it yet and don't want to know anything at all

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I hope they bring everything from the Netflix shows back and make it all canon. Even Finn Jones (as long as they kill him off right away and have Jessica Henwick take over as the Iron Fist)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I remember liking JJ S3 more than S2 but I also couldn't tell you what it was about or a single thing that happened in it. I think it coasted by on the strength of Kristin Ritter's performance but it's definitely not essential.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Rarity posted:

No new MCU content for 5 months :negative:

that’ll give you time to read more comics, you can make it to at least 1956 by then

I don’t think I’ve read any Marvel stuff from before the 60s, but the original runs of Spider-Man, Hulk, and especially Fantastic Four are all super fun. Reading everything is a lofty goal, depending on your age you may not get caught up on Marvel before you retire. Goonspeed!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
AoS season 4 (Ghost Rider/LMDs/Agents of Hydra) is up there with the best seasons of any Marvel show IMO, and most of the others are good with some great moments here and there (Quake launching Graviton into orbit is still one of my favorite moments in any superhero show). It would be neat to see some characters pop up in minor side roles (e.g. Fitz and Simmons as scientists in one or two scenes, no backstory necessary), but I doubt even that will happen and I'm fine with the show being its own separate thing.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 31, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Parkingtigers posted:

Don’t watch any Iron Fist if you haven’t started. (Do look up the Colleen Wing stuff on YouTube as she got some good fights in S2)

The Colleen/Misty stuff was too good for that show, they should get their own series.

Actually throw in Jessica Jones and White Tiger and make it an all-female Heroes for Hire show

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
plus (don't read this if you intend to watch the show, it's a great surprise) Ward :argh: is one of the best villains in any Marvel thing

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty sure Marvel Comics exist within the Marvel Universe too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

mutata posted:

You're all missing the ACTUAL stupid reaction to that scene that I saw which was "This movie is saying that the gays did Hiroshima!" which we can all agree is the dumbest loving takeaway you could possibly grasp from The Eternals.

well explain this then smart guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

tomapot posted:

Same. Orphan Black got squirrelly after a few seasons but boy did I love watching her act multiple clones alongside herself.

there are scenes where she is playing one clone pretending to be a different clone and it's incredible

in that Doctor Strange trailer, is that brief shot of the Savage Land? I hope they don't hold back on the weirdness of things like that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

BrianWilly posted:

Well, parts of it are, for sure. I'd say there are at least a couple of six-episode stretches that are better than Loki, Hawkeye, or maybe even TFATWS.

And then other stretches of the show are....not :v:

I liked the cast enough that even the lesser seasons were still fun watches. The first half of season 1 was the worst stretch since it spins it wheels and the characters , but being able to just plow through it and not wait so long between episodes like when it first aired probably makes it better. And then Bill Paxton shows up and kicks the show up a notch.

AoS season 4 is up there with the first seasons of DD/JJ IMO (different tone obviously), and season 5 has one of my favorite moments in any Marvel show or movie - Quake just loving launching Graviton into orbit

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

IUG posted:

Ugh, that was my confirmation that they changed her powers for me, and that turned me right off on it. Her original powers were fun!

eh, there's still a shot where she makes her fist huge, and they may not want to lead with some of the goofier looking effects. Plus who knows it could be a "you don't need this bracelet to be a hero, your powers come from within" type story and she ditches it by the end. I love her original powers too but I'll reserve judgment until I watch the show, which looks great otherwise

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I kind of hope the on-screen doodle stuff is in the show at least a little bit, I like that effect when it's done well and a show about a teenage girl is the place to do it

eke out posted:

yeah it's definitely the part where real life humans stretching looks loving weird and gross even after you pour CGI money into it

yeah for sure! and the most important part of the comic to get right is her character, not her specifically how her powers work

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Iron Fist was bad but I still want a Colleen/Misty team up show, the ending of season 2 was such a tease

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

The best part about Orphan Black was any time Tatiana Maslany played one of her characters pretending to be another one, with such a level of subtlety that you could TELL she wasn't the original because they had such distinct mannerisms.

Yeah she was so incredible in that, there is one episode where she is Alison pretending to be Cosima and it’s one of the most impressive performances I’ve ever seen. And she’s hilarious too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bar Patron posted:

Also spoilers for Dr Strange's latest weapon:

That scene ruled, just pure Sam Raimi goofiness

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

-Captain Carter was nice to see, as well as Monica's mom being Captain Marvel, though I'm not sure how that would work.

(minor MoM spoiler) I assume in that universe Maria flew the experimental jet or whatever it was that crashed, giving her the powers instead of Carol

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Rarity posted:

I'm currently doing a full Marvel readthrough and I'm in 1963 so my last Sue moment was her crying cause her dresses got trashed :shepface:

yeah I read the original Kirby/Lee FF run a couple years ago and Sue is so poorly written. Tons of great stuff in the rest of it though

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
screw West Coast Avengers, gimme Great Lakes Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I know the chances of it are basically zero, but it’d be incredible if she played the same character she did on Legion.