Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, I have no idea what is going on. I mean, I think it's clear that Wanda is creating the reality, and someone is trying to break in, but that's about it.

I also have a feeling there are plenty of Easter Eggs I'm missing. I noticed a few (Sword and Hydra logos), but I'm sure there's more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not falling for this Marvel, I refuse to care about Moon Knight :argh:

Yes it's fake. I don't care.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I was talking to my brother, who apparently watched Age of Ultron more recently than I have, and he said they told a story about Wanda and Quicksilver being trapped under rubble with a Stark missile that was beeping but didn't go off. So that's probably what the toaster scene was referencing?

I'm not about to rewatch Age of Ultron to confirm.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

Fiddled in settings quickly. Peter Weller?

Oh, please be the head of SWORD.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shneak posted:

Interesting how they're depicting Geraldine/Monica as the red herring villain. Agnes is seemingly fully aware that she's in an illusion but playing the part.

So is everyone else in the town dead, but recreated by Wanda? Is that maybe what the neighbor was about to say?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, it's a stylised version of the logo for SWORD, a sister agency of (obviously) SHIELD in the comics. We also saw it on the toy helicopter and beekeeper guy and the control room from the first 2 eps.

Seems like a bad idea to wear that around your neck on your mission.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a moment in the trailers where Agnes asks Vision if she's dead because he is.

Yeah, that's partly what I'm basing this on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Terror Sweat posted:

Only if you read the comics

The Sword logo was on the helicopter drone in an earlier episode, and in the Previously On in this episode, so it works as a callback to, "She's part of something not right."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 22, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

Fury was shown on some sort of space ship far from earth, and people naturally assumed it had something to do with SWORD, but I don't think it was ever explicitly called out as such.

Wasn't that a Skrull ship, though? Like, other than Fury, I thought everyone you saw was a Skrull.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

Ultron is Vision’s... father? Wanda’s... cousin?

Wait, how would Ultron be Wanda's cousin?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

I guess I was thinking they both were progeny of the Mind Stone to an effect but Ultron actually didn’t have any relation to the Mind Stone, did he?

Wanda wasn't born of the Mind Stone, though. She was already a person, and experimented on with the Mind Stone. I'd hardly say that makes her a "progeny of the Mind Stone".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bedshaped posted:

He probably never met James Spader on set. (casting spoiler??)

I think he did. If I remember correctly, Spader was on set doing motion capture for the whole thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DrBouvenstein posted:

*By which I mean, we already know there is some sort of multiverse already thanks to Dr.Strange. We know there's the Dark Dimension, the Mirror Realm, and a few other that The Ancient One had Strange's consciousness travel through at the start of the first Dr.Strange. But, like a lot of others, I'm hoping/assuming that it'll be more like the various dimensions in the Comics, with the current MCU being the "standard" one like 616, and having others like the Ultimate, Marvel Zombies, all the various realities from the What If?... series, etc...

I get what you're saying about the current MCU being the "standard" one, but for future reference, the MCU is Earth-199999, right? And the comic standard universe is Earth-616, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So is Wanda using Vision's dead body as a puppet?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Also, Agnes is the only one they didn't find a real world missing person for, right? Maybe Emma Caulfield's character, too, I can't remember. I'd say that's kind of important.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

Does it really matter if it's doing good? It's only 9 episodes long, is already finished production and isn't a story you can comfortably make a sequel to any way. You could conceivably have a different show starring those characters at another point in their lives, but that would presumably depend not just on what this show does in it's finale but on what happens in Dr. Strange 2 and possibly other movies too. It's not like Disney is going to slow down on making TV shows for the MCU based of one bad entry either, and the other shows like Falcon or Hawkeye are different enough that this show having a poor reception doesn't really mean much to them either.

It might conceivably give Disney pause on making MCU shows that aren't just straight action tales like Falcon or Loki, but I doubt it'll stop even that on it's own and there'd probably need to be at least two non-action shows with lukewarm to bad reception before they consider not making any more. I'm not sure what the next one in that vein even is. Maybe She-Hulk? Which is a year or more off, at the very least.

It matters a little, because if it's not considered a success (by whatever weird logic Disney uses), they could scale back on future MCU shows. I think one "issue" might be that The Mandalorian is something anybody can jump right into and enjoy with little to no context. With this show that's a bit harder to do. I have some neighbors in their late sixties who know nothing about the MCU and watched it because it looked like a fun send up of the old sitcoms they like. And they loving loved the first 3 episodes. And HATED the 4th episode because they had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on. I told them to check out the "Legends" episodes on Wanda and Vision, but I'm curious how they'll feel about the show as it keeps going. It's clearly going to depend on some interest MCU.

And that's fine for me. But it's just not going to do Mando numbers. And if Disney is expecting that, and doesn't see that, it could have blowback on the other MCU shows.

(It was funny when I found out my neighbors watched WandaVision. Like, they're this sweet old retired hippie couple, and they said they watched it and were so confused by episode 4. I gave them a little primer, but they looked so lost. "Wait, Vision is dead? How does that work?" I dunno, man. I dunno.)

Whatever, I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Barry Convex posted:

Black Panther spinoff series is coming to Disney+ as part of Ryan Coogler's newly announced overall deal with Disney

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1356332139986345984

So is this in place of a Black Panther 2, or in addition to it?

No, I didn’t read the article, why?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

my wild theory is that Wanda's last resort for "fitting in" is going to be making weirdos with powers like herself and Vision more commonplace, which is to say, yes more mutants

I maintain my opinion that something that big will probably not happen in a TV show, but in the Dr. Strange movie.

“No...mutants.”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That was by far the best episode so far by a huge margin. This was the show I've been hoping for the whole time. Not that it hasn't been good already, but this was firing on all cylinders.

And I genuinely think Wanda was shocked to see re-cast Pietro at the end, so someone else is pulling some strings. Just like Wanda sent Vision to work because he needed a distraction, Wanda and Vision both needed a distraction at the end, and someone provided one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Probably a combo of
- Allowing Thanos snap to happen in the first place
- Not being there when her Mum died

And thoughts of Captain Marvel are linked with her mom, who she's barely had time to grieve, so she's trying to power through it and move on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Azhais posted:

Is there some reason we're still spoiling everything?

and I imagine multiverse things

Pretty sure the rule established at the beginning of the season is that we use spoilers for new episodes for the first 72 hours after the episode airs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gavok posted:

In addition to what's been stated, I've seen the idea that each commercial is linked to a different Infinity Stone.

Toaster: (forgot the explanation for this one)
Watch: Time Stone, natch
Soap: Space Stone due to resembling the Tesseract
Paper Towels: Reality Stone, as it's used to clean up a red liquid

The Paper Towels were named after the city from Civil War where Wanda and the Avengers kind of hosed up and had that explosion that killed people in the building. And the tagline for the towels something like, "For cleaning up the messes you didn't mean to make." So I don't think the commercials are supposed to be linked to the stones, but just revealing traumas in Wanda's past. Not sure how that links up with the soap one, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

The problem with time travel in Endgame is now I'm just wondering why they didn't go back in time to get Vision. The technology still exists.

Because they’d be leaving behind a timeline with no Vision. Screwing up that alt timeline.

Or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Retrowave Joe posted:

He has Stormbreaker already. I’m with you on hoping Bill shows up, too

Plus, doesn't he not have Mjolnir anymore? His was destroyed, he got the one from the past, but Cap brought it back.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doom2020! posted:

too effin silly for my taste and I love Legends of Tomorrow.

Well that’s just crazy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

.Z. posted:

I didn't see this posted yet (might have missed it) but Kathryn Hahn is the one singing the song. :allears:

What? That’s amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Viscous Soda posted:

Actually it is. Someone over at Reddit discovered it's Kathryn Hahn's voice pitch shifted downwards.

Holy poo poo. That's amazing, and something they didn't need to bother doing at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So during the Agatha All Along sequence, any idea what kind of magic Agatha was working during the talent show when Wanda was doing her magic show? They show her doing some magic-y thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe the "for the children" part?

Ohhh, that could make sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Perry the Platypus posted:

Any insight into whether or not 'Agatha all along' would be an observable program to the folks at SWORD? And if so, why Agatha would do that if she were the big bad? I'm not buying it yet.

They said earlier in the episode that they haven’t had access to the “broadcast” since the Hex increased and they had to fallback.

e: beaten

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's not a robot. He's a synthoid, you racist.

They made an entire universe where everyone was a zombie and wanted to include Vision, so they said "gently caress it. Vision can be a zombie" for ~*reasons*~

Also, the Zombie universe is identical to ours in every way except for two:

1) Zombies exist
2) In this reality, Captain America was promoted three additional times compared to his normal reality and is "Colonel America"

The reason for why a Zombie virus would change nothing except Captain America's career ladder is never explained.

This is hilarious. Thank you for sharing it the way you did.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason I didn't expect so much of the costume to be real.

https://i.imgur.com/NBXUAPJ.mp4

This looks like he's pulling off a Paul Bettany mask to reveal a Vision face, and it's freaking me the gently caress out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

badjohny posted:

I would assume we are looking at vision split in two. His body and mind. The one in the hex is his soul, and the one that they just rebooted is his body with his past memories, not no emotion or feelings. I am betting they do a DBZ style fusion (hopefully with the dance) and merge the two of them to bring vision back and make him 100%.

Then we will get the scene from the trailer where they have to defend the town from Agatha who is going to try to absorb all the magic that Wanda used to make the hex.

I think the Vision inside of the Hex is just a recreation of Vision made whole cloth from Wanda's memories. Whether that counts as his "soul" I guess depends on your interpretation of what a "soul" is, but I think he's something new. A very close recreation, but something new, which is why he can't exist outside of the Hex. Like the classic transporter problem.

You may be right that maybe they can merge that with White Vision to let him live outside of the Hex. But I think calling that his "soul" is a bit off.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

None of this is new to the thread, but I guess I'm piecing it together for my own benefit from what other people have said, on how I figure they'll introduce mutants.

The mutant gene has been around for years, laying dormant. Interaction with the stones can unlock it, like it did for Wanda and Pietro. The stones being used 3 times on Earth was such a huge loving deal that it unlocked it for all mutants on the Earth. Bingo bango, mutants.

Sound about right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh god. The first episode. The calendar was the deed. Vision couldn't remember why there was a heart, Wanda didn't want to remember, so she made out the story of Vision's bosses on the go. :cry:

drat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

McSpanky posted:

I mean, this all started because someone who clearly has only watched genre movies their whole life said it was the greatest line in movie history and all screenwriters should look to it as the ur-example of their craft.

And that one person was very stupid. The reaction to that person has been way overblown, and seems to be moving on to anyone who likes the line now, which is equally stupid. It's a good line. People should let people like things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why didn't iphone Vision seek Wanda out in the post credit?

He had to process things... he is running on an i3 processor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Forgive me if this has been talked about already. But if Sword rebuilt iVision, and all they needed to get him working was some Hex magic from Wanda, does that mean that Sword and Wanda could have resurrected Vision at any time if they worked together? And could do so again any time moving forward? So Vision is immortal as long as Wanda is alive?

And if Hayward had just, you know, not been a dick, the whole show wouldn't have happened?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Possibly, but the only reason iVision got his mind back was because Wandavision stuffed memories in his brain

I thought Hex Vision just brought the wall down that was blocking his memories. I may be remembering wrong, though. Presumably, Hayward and Sword could have not put that block up, as a condition of getting Wanda's help. But maybe Hayward wouldn't have agreed to that, because then iVision wouldn't agree to be their weapon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't think Wanda would have been okay with the uses that Hayward (or the US government in general) would want to put Vision to, so that plan was basically a nonstarter from the get-go.

And while we haven't seen the ultimate fate of iVision after he flew away, I suspect that even with his memories restored he's still not 100% the original Vision, and may not be something that Wanda would have any interest in dealing with..

He's the original body, has his memories restored, and says, "I am Vision" before flying away. I think the show is leading us to believe that he is as close to the original Vision as you can get, and Wanda would very much like to know him. Or at least would definitely have liked to when she showed up at Sword headquarters before creating the Hex.

And now I'm remembering that, when she was there, Hayward implied to Wanda that she could resurrect Vision, and she said she couldn't or wouldn't (I forget which). But he maybe could have explained what he was looking for a little better.

Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They didn't even talk about Luke Skywalker showing up at the end of Mandalorian season 2!

Yeah, this really bugged the poo poo out of me. Like, how do you not even refer to this? I guess it was because the BTS episode was produced before the last episode aired, and they were worried something would leak, but it's still a huge blind spot.