Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I like that they dialed back the sitcom-ness and delved more into Wanda exerting her will on the town and others showing their angst/fear of that. This isn't Marvel doing Leave It To Beaver & The Brady Bunch, it's Marvel doing The Twilight Zone. It's also incredibly tragic because we've seen that Wanda is aware of what's happening thanks to the beekeeper and now Vision/Geraldine questioning this idyllic false reality. She's denying the tragedies in her life by preferring to live in this false Wandaverse and, while no one can really blame her, it's just so, so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Honestly, I think one of the best things the MCU could do is actually examine how hosed up and traumatized heroes might get and how they deal (or don't) with that trauma. Making superheroes more relatable is a smart move.

EDIT: I realize they already did this with Iron Man 3 but that was all about Tony, so other perspectives would be good.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Am I the only person who thinks Mephisto being the big bad for an entire phase of the MCU seems like wishful thinking? Like, do people really think Disney is going to have literal Satan be in 6 movies and a couple TV shows or whatever?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

This is more or less where I'm at too. I really don't think it's necessary to have a big bad doing this to Wanda because Wanda doing this on her own makes a lot of sense. Your life has been a tragedy full of constant strife and loss for years with a brief window where you found true love before you had to murder him only to see him resurrected and murdered again right in front of you. But! You have the power to bend reality to give yourself that happiness back. Who the gently caress wouldn't do that, especially if they're acting out of immense grief?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

I hope that they do, but it becomes more obviously screwed up and desperate as Wanda tries and increasingly fails to hold her fake reality together. By ep 5 I want the show in full "not laughing but screaming" territory.

I think the laugh track dropped out after Agnes said Ralph looked better in the dark and it's absence definitely helped ratchet things up.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

massive spider posted:

Mephisto isn't literally Satan, that's why he's called Mephisto in the first place. To avoid being literally Satan.

Yeeeeah, that's not quite so true anymore. I'll grant that it's splitting hairs but he's Satan enough to count. In any case, I'll be surprised if he shows up in the MCU.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Blip is loving terrifying. What happens if I was on the subway when I got Snapped? Do I reform in the same seat on the same train (unoccupied or not) or do I reform in the same physical space in the subway tunnel, train or no? gently caress.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Condiment King is Kite Man's nemesis in the animated Harley Quinn show and it's loving great.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like people are entirely ignoring the part where... he's not Wanda's "love." He's not that part of Vision that was her husband in her world. For simplicity's sake call that his soul. People seem to be assuming that his memories give him his full personality/emotions/personhood but that clearly was presented as ambiguous and unknown by both the Visions debate and Vision asking Wanda what he is. My guess is that when Wanda and White Vision eventually meet Vision won't scold Wanda or judge her, he simply won't love her. Because he's not the same guy. Then eventually Wanda will find a way to reunite that missing part of him within her/the mind stone and Vision will be whole.

There's a very important emotional component to memory that the MCU might try to address or utilize here. We all remember emotionally charged events, good or bad, more than emotionally neutral events. If you don't have that emotional weight behind a memory, we tend to forget it. If you have a great meal that made you feel joy or awe then you remember it but we're not going to remember every bowl of cereal we've ever had.

That might leave WhiteVision with a head full of memories but likely no emotional weight behind them. He seemed generally emotionless before and after his talk with WandaVision. So while he will remember being with Wanda, it won't actually mean anything to him. And, eventually he'd forget it, if he wasn't a sentient computer.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I unironically think that the 'Netflix binge' release method might've alleviated a lot of disappointment because people wouldn't have had 2 months to do navel gazing theorycrafting.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

sebmojo posted:

There was a fair bit of clunk but I enjoyed the hell out of that. The kids were not a uh strong part of the acting ensemble though.

I admit I winced when I saw they managed to grab the worst kid actor from The Haunting of Hill House.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I want Dottie and her husband to get their own actual sitcom.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Adus posted:

honestly the biggest laugh this show got from me was the 'dottie: honey do these earrings make me look fat? *power goes out* norm: oh thank god'

'That was my grandmother's piano' was funny, now it's just sheer black humor since it likely really was his grandmother's piano.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, listen folks, this was just 'enhanced mind/body control' and not torture, so it's fine!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It'd be neat if they referenced Nuke from Jessica Jones as another failed super soldier experiment.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

John Walker is a loving Karen who would shout 'Don't you know who I am??' at a hostess at Applebee's.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

This thread feels two steps away from someone saying "I am shocked and appalled that Disney has not introduced comprehensive police reform legislation at the federal level to coincide with this superhero TV show. Why do we keep voting for them?"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Hell, I think it's unrealistic that they haven't portrayed 'Never-Snappers' in the MCU; people who just straight up don't believe the Snap or Blip actually happened. I'd buy that in a second after 2020.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Lammasu posted:

If Sharon is the boat then who is Mephisto?

The guy at the bank.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, I think Karli's car bomb will set up a schism in the Flagsmashers. It's not unheard of for groups with political motives to fracture because an internal subset decides there needs to be more violence.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

I tried to make a fun loop, and now can't stop laughing

I actually made something similar the day the episode came out but realized it's just a loop of Zemo jacking off an air dick. :D

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

His conversation with Walker also shows that they Did War Crimes Together in Afghanistan or whatever.

I've been seeing this take a lot and I think many people are misunderstanding what Walker meant when he said his M(s)oH remind him of the worst day of his life.

Getting a MoH and being alive is rather rare because they're usually given to people who have saved their comrades through selfless, often suicidal, action. A recipient who's still alive today earned one in Afghanistan by literally jumping on a grenade to save his buddy. Another received it after his 8 man squad was ambushed and at the end of that action 5 were wounded, 1 was already dead and 1 would die in surgery.

Walker (and Hoskins) were likely in similar circumstances when Walker earned his medals and very likely saw buddies, probably more than a few, die. That's what the medals remind him of, not war crimes. Maybe the war crimes came before or after but he wouldn't have earned a MoH citation while executing civilians or something.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

they also talked about how the "things we did to be awarded those medals felt a long way from being right"

also Walker has his special helmet for jumping on grenades with

Yeah, the US War in Afghanistan, which has been going on for 20 years, is very unpopular even with the soldiers fighting in it so I'm not surprised if they didn't feel right just by dint of being there. Walker's special grenade helmet still means someone was chucking live grenades at him and that's going to ruin your day, regardless.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

I was just laughing at Sam's staring at Bucky :lol:

I've been in Sam's shoes like that before, staring at a friend and thinking 'Are you serious right now?', that was eminently relatable.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Does the nurse have to be a named character from the comics? Can she not just be a compassionate human being who righted a wrong?

gently caress it, the nurse was Mephisto.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, right wingers would be rallying behind John Walker to proclaim he did nothing wrong shortly before chanting 'USA! USA! USA!'.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Show was good, really enjoyed it, better finale than WandaVision by far. Not sure I'm down with the weird head-sock thing Sam's wearing but like someone else said he'll likely get iterations of his suit just like OG Cap did.

I'm really glad I don't require complete logical explanations for everything in my superhero shows, goddamn. I can't imagine what watching any of the MCU must be like for people who do.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

live with fruit posted:

A lot of phase three movies had villains who were either trying to sell something to or steal something for a benefactor. Even Sharon was talking to someone at the end of FAWS. Could just be lazy writing but the right writer could come along and tie it together.

They could definitely bring in the stuff from Winter Falcon with people mentioning how borders have shifted and territory was absorbed by other countries. Latveria becoming a bigger player because it took advantage of the Snap and the Blip would be right up Doom's alley.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Thanos and Wanda didn't stop their fight to reference that Elizabeth Olsen and Josh Brolin were in the Oldboy remake together.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad these sort of references weren't made but this one is rather self evident as to why Disney might not want to reference Wanda and Thanos balls-out incestuously banging each other.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Colman's character is there to be a foil to Fury. He's a heroic spy who has made some mistakes and has been ground down by the job, she's a more ruthless and nefarious one who is revelling in her work.

I think it's more than that. Talos' biggest weakness, according to Fury, is that he's merciful and Sonya is very clearly unmerciful. Fury is between the two and that might play into the last half of the show. Does he skew towards his old friend and try to make things work or does he side with a fellow human and go scorched earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I actually liked the overall tone of the show, there were some scenes that were really great (mostly around Sam Jackson and one other person acting the poo poo out of things at each other), and the dialog was usually pretty rad but... man, what the hell happened in the writer's room or editing room? Who the hell thinks SkRhodey telling the President that nuking Russia is the better option was even halfway intelligent? The Skrulls might extinct humanity, sure, but nuclear apocalypse definitely will, what the gently caress? It's not even a question and the guy telling you to send the ICBMs smelled like booze maybe an hour ago at like 7 in the morning!