Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I do enjoy that one of the criticisms of the final episode of Wandavision was that it just ended up being characters shooting lasers at each other. Now, with FATWS, the final episode is going to be everyone shooting shields at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Who is going to be the Mephisto of this series, btw?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Not gonna lie, I'm more than a little nervous that a film adding 10+ supers isn't going to be very good.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

It's not Kang. We've had two series now where we all speculated on the surprise mystery character would be and it didn't happen. It's not Kang.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

What if Sylvie is just a different person? Like she had the title of Loki but wasn't actually the Asgardian Loki?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tsob posted:

Then she wouldn't be a variant.

But not all variants are Loki.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tsob posted:

No? I have literally no idea how you arrived at that contention. Sylvie was born Loki, whether that was Loki Laufeyson, or Loki Loufeydotter, it was as Loki. She has refused that name over the years for some reason, but she was still a being called Loki as a name at birth, and not as a title. Which is all the TVA cares about.

I don't know what to believe. The comics have a Sylvie that quite clearly isn't Loki or even Asgardian. When called "Loki" she says don't call me that. Has different powers than Loki. There's the easter egg calling her Loki Laufeydottir but the TVA haven't been known as a reliable narrator.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tsob posted:

The TVA are not reliable as a source about themselves, but we haven't been given any reason to doubt their information on variants. The only reason to suppose that Sylvie isn't a variant of Loki by birth is because they made a mistake, which would be a hell of a mistake and kind of a silly twist to hang her character on after introducing her as the only other real variant Loki interacts with during the show.

As was pointed out, she was listed as Sylvie Laufeydottir by the TSA. By that logic, she isn't Loki.

A sister perhaps?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Latest episode was amazing. Only downside to it really is the fight choreography is absolutely terrible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Gonz posted:

Less than 24 hours before we find out if Mephisto, Kang The Conquerer, Mephisto, King Loki, Joe Montana, Dame Judi Dench is behind the TVA!

*Sets up cliffhanger for season 2*

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Shneak posted:

I've been silently watching Loki from the shadows because I got too into the theorizing for WandaVision (and haven't finished FaTWS, don't really care to) but I've loved the series. Loki's never really appealed to me as a character but this series has changed that. Keeping my villain expectations low for the finale.

What? After the astronomically crazy twist ending of FatWS, nothing is off the board for Loki!

Just kidding, they went with the most boring route possible for both previous shows that it almost has to be another Loki.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Is it August 11th yet?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What we got was pretty fun, but it's nothing that Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel hasn't done before.

Not sure what you are trying to get at with this statement. WW and CM beat up some guys before so now there is no need for women superheroes in media?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She was relegated to espionage because she's a woman, why wouldn't she want to take a more active role once she had super strength and agility and a vibranium shield?

Super Soldiers also make for some really lovely spies, too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Which episode does Mephisto show up in?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

This movie is going to be like 90% assembling the team and 10% lovely final battle, isn't it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Jerkface posted:

no man, i didn't know that marvel is the most popular poo poo ever. My problem is the stories don't even feel like anything is actually happening. It just feels like being shuttled from scene to scene. It would be better if each episode was an actual well structured story.

I disagree. I think it's a fun, 30 minute show that relies entirely on its audience knowing the source material. It's What If...?, not a setup for later shows movies. Nothing of consequence happens, it just shows goofy poo poo. No point in developing anything because after those 30 minutes, it won't matter.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

JazzFlight posted:

I just wish the dialogue was better. Every character has the same voice and just spouts quips or modern slang. Korath and Thanos were just unrecognizable.

I absolutely love alternate history/timeline episodes of shows, but only when the characters act in a believable way in regards to whatever changed. Episode 2 really veered off into wacky land.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Thanos in the episode but Korath was inexcusably bad.

The episode really did feel like a fanfiction about T'Challa but it was Boseman's last performance so I give it a pass.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The_Doctor posted:

He already came back for Tony’s funeral anyway.

And no one knew who the gently caress he was.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

MCU: If Cheadle can get an Emmy nod for his 2 minutes in FATWS, then that kid that was in IM3 for 2 minutes should get a major role.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is probably a dumb gripe but it always annoyed me that it turned out that Thanos literally had to snap his fingers to blink out half of all life.

Snapping your fingers and something gets done is a figurative phrase that means you have a shitload of power. Then they took that phrase and made the infinity gauntlet into a gun with a weird trigger.

Infinity war showed that he had to physically manipulate the gauntlet to use the gems, I don't think using a snap to activate all of them was too much of a stretch. Makes for a far more interesting visual than him just closing his fist again.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oasx posted:

That was a lot darker than I expected.

Yeah. Just last week this thread was talking about not killing heroes on screen, and then we have Hulk literally exploding.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My big takeway:
Also am I being a typical Goon and missing something that was clearly stated or did figuring this mystery out hinge entirely on something unique to this universe that we as the viewers were unaware of ?

Is this not how literally every tv whodunit works?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Andrew_1985 posted:

That random guy who was there? A friend of Spider-Man? He pretended to be a Zombie with Happy. Wanda took him out?

Is he a secret comic character?

Kurt? He's from the Ant Man movies

Also the best episode of the season, hand down.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Honestly, I don't think that episode needs any kind of sequel. It's a perfect zombie movie ending. Either they can't find a cure and the world eventually succumbs to the zombies, or they find a cure and the world succumbs to Thanos.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bust Rodd posted:

Spider-Man only acts like that in Avengers films and he’s doing it with a sense of child-like innocence and wonder like “oh wow mr stark how neat, cool whoa!”, in his own movies he takes everything too seriously and never lets himself have any fun. They are practically different characters between the two series except for Civil War, where he behaves the same as in his own films. Spidey’s presence in the End-Game films is very wack.

Lang, by their own admission in this last episode of What If, is more your typical “I can’t handle adult situations so I diffuse everything with humor” which I think could work if he were perhaps a little darker or something, this is a guy who was in prison for FOUR YEARS and he talks like a Kindergarten chaperone taking the Avengers to the Zoo. I’m not asking for 90’s era Spawn levels of grit, Lang’s relentless optimism has a place, but he’s just too fuckin goofy

Did you watch Ant-Man? It sure didn't seem like his prison time was that awful. He made lots of wonderful friends.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bust Rodd posted:

This is perhaps a nitpick, but as someone with immediate family in prison, there is no such thing as “time in prison that is not awful”. There’s a reason prison isn’t used often as a backdrop for “fun” movies, and that’s because the real world implications of being in prison aren’t fun at all. “Prison” means something completely different to families who have lost someone to the American broad daylight slavery system that is federal prison. To people who don’t have that experience, you probably just imagine a bunch of guys in orange jumpsuits in the yard working out like on TV, and that’s maybe 60 minutes of your day, and the rest of the time it’s about sharpening your toothbrush into a shiv so you don’t get wrestled in the shower. Scott Lang’s character doesn’t really make any sense unless you imagine that when they say “prison” they really just mean “low security county lock up” but that’s not prison, that’s jail. Big wig corporate lawyers trying to make an example out of him, throwing him in federal prison makes more sense, it was like Super Grand Theft, but yeah he’s not spending the whole time just sitting in his cell reading, you have to fight for your life every day, especially as a white guy, and especially as a non-violent offender.

But I understand this is a marvel movie for families and that’s why “prison” isn’t ever really explored or explained, because it’s just too heavy for the material it’s in.

No one in the world thinks prison is a fun time. It was a funny gag in a funny movie and perhaps you are taking it way too seriously.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bust Rodd posted:

I said prison is a lovely backdrop for a family movie

It's not the backdrop it's literally like 3 minutes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

What If...? really doesn't seem to like War Machine. First episode Rhodes shows up and this is what happens to him!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bust Rodd posted:

No the heroic CIA guy really undercuts the impact and the message of the film IMO, making a CIA guy the hero in a movie about Africa would be like if Cap had a Nazi on his team in The First Avenger. There were a dozen other ways to add a white American who could positively impact the story, but specifically making them CIA has far reaching implications which does more to make Killmonger’s point for him than it does anything else.

Also the movie looked like poo poo on the big screen, the CGI cat suit fight looks like a 90’s commercial for power rangers toys and I walked out of the theater thinking I needed to get my eyes checked and was relieved when I got home and realized everyone else thought it looked like poo poo too

ooooh more hot takes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Darko posted:

Just an embarrassing Disney cop-out to just focus on nerd logistics instead of social opportunity.

Did...did you think this series was something else?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Darko posted:

The comics would have shown the ramifications of his black liberation plan. I was expecting an animated series to take chances that might not be taken in mainstream live action, yes.

I mean...it's episode 6 and nothing even close to that has happened yet so maybe you shouldn't have expected that

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Am I really forgetting something or was Tony not in the Dr. Strange episode?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve only watched Black Panther twice but him killing his girlfriend and being mean to the old ladies are like the only reasons the movie gives you to hate him and think he’s a bad guy. If he had simply not murdered his girlfriend for no reason it would be like 65 minutes into the movie before he does something evil. I feel like they added the girlfriend in later drafts to try and get audiences to hate him sooner.

In like the first 20 minutes he and established villain Klaue are responsible for people getting killed at the museum

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Why even have a Killmonger if he doesn't monger kills?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

In It For The Tank posted:

Bring back Killmonger but recast him so no one is happy

Michael Jordan (the minor league baseball player)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Barry Convex posted:

why does he have the hammer

I'm going to assume it's because he's Thor

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Pingcode posted:

(I assume Ultravision is a cross-dimensional invader, given the completed gauntlet is apparently just sitting in the vault of Asgard)

Why would he have to be an invader? Could be from this universe. I mean, who's guarding the Asgardian vault? Thor and friends are on Earth, Frigga is at her spa, Odin is asleep...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Robot Style posted:

since in this timeline it would never have gotten Odin's enchantment.

This is just speculation. Maybe being worthy in this timeline means not being a party pooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Infinitum posted:

Man you arseholes are really tripping over yourselves to just straight up loving spoil this movie for people in lockdown, huh?

I mean, it's not exactly a deep, cerebral film. Some superheroes gonna fight some supervillains. Plot takes a backseat to action.