Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1338846284015226881?s=20

So... a clip show? Maybe not as terrible as it sounds if it's a way for those who haven't watched the previous films to get caught up without having to watch 20 something 2 hour plus movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Everyone posted:

Figure they'll come back for whatever ends up being Avengers 4(5?). Post-Thanos we're going through kind of a restart/reintroduction that'll eventually build to a new Avengers team movie. Still, that's likely going to be a couple-three years from now. Iron Man came out in 2008 but the first Avengers movie didn't come out until 2012. It's going to be weird if Loki somehow ends up on the new Avengers team.

I strongly suspect we'll see a Young Avengers movie before we see a new full fat Avengers team, so that pushes the date back even further.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

cyclical posted:

Hi, I'm here to inform you Bucky is really, really popular in MCU fandom

Truly one of the great mysteries of our time

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Sebastian Stan is hot.

Mystery solved.

Yeah, that's the mystery. I mean, sure, you might notice him at the local 7-11 but in the MCU? He's half a Chris at best.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Which Chris?
Hunky Chris? Hunkier Chris? Bad Chris? or not-MCU but still considered hot by some Chris?

Yes

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Im seeing journalistic propaganda that is like "Wandavision might have been disappointing, but Falcon is gonna be amazing " which is just lol

That's not the established narrative, right? That Wandavision was disappointing? That would suck if so.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

cyclical posted:

It's funny because I don't find Chris Evans attractive at all. Too much of a generic beefy blond, does absolutely nothing for me. Same for all the other Chrises, who blend into One SuperChris for me.

I'm sorry, but I won't have this besmirching of the Chrises. You have a plethora of Chrises, a veritable smorgasbord of Chrises, and you dare to suggest they run into each other like one amorphous Chris blob? You have Evans who is the kind of generic, high school quarterback Chris (though if you want dark and troubled you should check him out in Snowpiercer). You have Hemsworth, who's the surfer dude who is secretly super sensitive Chris. And you have Pratt who's the slightly geeky hot guy at church who may well trap you into a weird cult Chris. What more Chris diversity do you need?

cyclical posted:

Sebastian Stan, though? Yeah, I'm here for that. Anyway, it's not that big of a mystery if you know fandom even a little bit: he's a hot guy, who was tortured (literally and figuratively) and sad and bad-rear end and vulnerable in The Winter Soldier. It was a pretty nice cocktail of a lot of things that are going to appeal to a lot of people.

Yeah, I guess here's where I don't know fandom that well. Or rather, my fandom experiences were always very much in the straight male lane of fandom. I had kind of suspected that was the deal with Bucky, though. Someone to take care of and fix. Or at the very least teach about this wonderful 21st century invention called "conditioner"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We were robbed of a proper Cap 3 and the expansion of Falcon’s character is yet another casualty of that.

To be fair, neither Thor nor Iron Man got second films so it evens out.

QuoProQuid posted:

Emily VanDerWerff has a great piece in Vox about WandaVision and the problem of “justice” in fiction: https://www.vox.com/culture/22325656/wandavision-finale-justice-disappointment-story-karma

That is an great piece, and does hit in what I'd say is one of the few issues I have with the show (I'm always pretty dismissive of "this thing I wanted didn't happen" as a criticism, though). On the same topic, the Cinematic Universe podcast had a really interesting discussion, with different perspectives, on the Wanda accountability issue in their latest episode: https://play.acast.com/s/d305d8dc-87fe-4ca0-a92f-ef2eeebb3fb6/a01adbe0-f832-456c-b54c-6935195a22b3

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

double negative posted:

i hope they do some isaiah bradley poo poo on fatws and people get upset

After Wandavision I'm a lot more optimistic (though still only maybe 50/50) that FATWS will actually be willing to take risks in addressing the black Captain America in the room.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

McCloud posted:

I'm the opposite, I saw nothing in Wandavision that would indicate they'd want to take any sort of risk tackling such a sensitive topic in anything but the most safe and offhand way possible (See also: Black Panther)

For me it was the fact that they made it a show about something (grief), and kept that something as a consistent through line in a way that (to me at least) ultimately paid off.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

If this is true than it’s really looking like Avengers 5 is going to be the Young Avengers.

That was a given if not when they announced the third Cassie Lang, then definitely when the twins appeared in Wandavision.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

cyclical posted:

It's pretty hilarious, really. Wow, women (and men!) everywhere are into that? They like characters who come striding into the screen blowing everything up and then it turns out they're actually doing it all against their will, and they're sad and angsty and tortured about it? What could possibly be the appeal here, I wonder?

Like, yeah? I'm just now learning certain mental health issues are hot.
loving knowing that in my teens and twenties would have been pretty handy.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

404notfound posted:

Edit: Also, they were playing on a PS4 in Endgame and this is the Xbox, so you could also reasonably say that the person with the PSN ID of NoobMaster69 is not the same as the person with the gamertag NoobMaster69

As if it's possible two separate people could independently come up with such a name

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Who was saying Sebastian Stan wasn't good looking? He's one of those people that's almost ridiculously good looking. You people are crazy.

I was the one who originally asked why so many people wanted to get fucky with Bucky, but I didn't say Sebastian Stan wasn't good looking. Just legit didn't get what made the character stand out amongst all the MCU hotties. I have now been educated.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Having just seen the second episode, I have to say: I now am actually invested in Bucky Barnes as a character for the first time. It was partly the banter with Sam, but especially the way it served to showcase where he's come from and how far it is from where Sam comes from. But it was especially the line delivery in the therapy session. drat that was good. I'll also admit I now get why Stan stans stan Stan.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

While it's certainly true that MCU tropes often serve to undercut whatever deeper themes the film/TV show is going for, I think you go a little far by saying that's the case for all superhero films/TV shows. Off the top of my head, I'd hold up the Watchmen TV show as an example where the writers were able to fully commit to the ideas animating the show.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I have seen people going because most of the main characters are cops, that it completely undermines everything it says about racism and the problems of white supremacy. Copaganda they scream, even though those subjects of racism are straight up tied to policing.

Yeah, I think anyone who argues the prominence of masked cops created by a senior member of the KKK and lead by a man with a secret Klan shrine undercuts the show's message on institutional racism probably didn't make it through the whole show.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

maybe I wouldn't have the kind of response you don't like if people didn't jump up my rear end about it immediately with weird baseless projections.

Being genuine here, if how people react to your posts is something you're concerned with, it might be worth editing them with an eye to people reading them casually and considering what immediate reaction lines like

sticklefifer posted:

they're wedging in real world issues
and

sticklefifer posted:

Disney Presents Wokeness™.

Are going to generate. Not everyone's going to read carefully and/or check your post history.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s important to remember that not everyone watching the show is an extremely online poster like a lot of us here. Even if Disney only does the absolute baby step cliff notes of racial issues in America that’s still kind of a big deal because of the very broad audience it’ll reach. And yeah, some of it may just be for the optics, but that’s gotta be better than not addressing it at all, or worse, pretending it doesn’t exist in the first place.

Reminder that there's numerous people in Hollywood who thought they were being highly progressive in voting for Green Book as best picture. In the hinterland there's probably many who felt that a step too far.

e: quoted wrong post

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 30, 2021

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

They don't seem to be doing an "America won't accept a black Cap" or a "Falcon won't accept the shield because of America's issues" narrative

I think they are, they're just not being in your face about it. But we'll see.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

live with fruit posted:

If they went just with villains of the Avengers, they could put together a team like:

-Uhh (Thor)

I can't imagine it happening, but I would sell a kidney for it to be The Grandmaster.

Bust Rodd posted:

Uuuuh, yeah but they are also fully capitulating to the Chinese censorship boards who instruct them to remove black cast members from Star Wars advertising.

Never read about that, you got a source?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They didn't cut him out entirely, but they greatly shrunk him on the poster.

As far as has been reported, they voluntarily chose to do that to pre-empt "issues" in the Chinese market and not because of the censorship board.

Yeah, no, I'm aware of the poster change. It was more the claim that Disney made the call in order to placate the censorship board that's new to me. My understanding was that it was a decision made by the Chinese distributer based on good old fashioned internal racism.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

double negative posted:

it’s hosed up, but the thought of hiding the fact that black panther (as well as the entire cast minus martin freeman) is black from prospective audiences is also really drat funny to me

FWIW I've never seen the poster on the left, and I saw Black Panther in a Chinese cinema. I just pulled up Black Panther on my Chinese streaming platform and it's the poster on the right.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

tsob posted:

I'd think an ever bigger setback is that he seems to have changed his priorities and wanted to be a better person already before he died.

gently caress me. It took me a spit take and a "wait WHAT?" before I realised you meant Skurge not Karl Urban

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Her power comes from Asgard which is destroyed even if she somehow survived. Or any number of ways to make her less powerful.

The fact that half the universe died and then undied, plus Loki, Gamora and Vision returning, has rendered death meaningless.

e: or she cannot bring her full powers to bear because she's too distracted trying to figure out if Ralph Bohner is actually Quicksilver and so should be dead.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 30, 2021

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Everyone posted:

Lady Sif(I think her character is still alive, right?) (Thor)

Last I heard she was returning for Love and Thunder. She's not exactly a villain, though.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the alternate timeline where she survives, her hair straightener dies instead.

Perfectly balanced, as everything must be

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Jagermonster posted:

The Minutemen being chumps really makes no sense. The people who mess with time are going to be powerful. If a Dr. Strange with a time stone started causing timeline havoc what would these bumbling idiots possibly do?

I've seen this sentiment come up enough that I'm starting to doubt my own reading here but: aren't Variants just people who deviate from the timeline for any reason, not necessarily either intentionally or through time fuckery? IIRC the example in the first episode was as mundane as arriving early for work. In which case the minutemen are kind of like a village police force where the village has serial killers every couple of generations or so.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

They explained this in the first episode when Loki brought up the Avengers traveling through time, wouldn't that make them variants. It was explained that no, they weren't variants, that was meant to happen to preserve the sacred timeline. You can time travel (as seen by the Avengers) or do things that you weren't meant to do, as long as it doesn't affect the sacred timeline as seen by Loki and Lady Loki messing with things in apocalypses.. Just don't mess with the sacred timeline and you're golden. If you do, then you're a variant who must be taken out.

I get that, it's just that I see people in here posting to the effect that variants must be powerful people who can alter time and I don't think that's the case? Like it's entirely possible you're just some chump who got chaos butterflied. I don't think the Goldman Sachs failson who got disolved in Ep. 1 was a superpowered genius, for instance.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

This this Loki series based on a comic series, or is this all original content?

All original, though I'm getting slight echoes of themes from Loki: Agent of Asgard. Totally different events, though.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

You're 100% right, but I do think that after a point it's worth remembering that however cynically motivated (e.g: "oh poo poo women and girls go to these movies and our source material sucks balls at representation, we need to fix that if we want this brand to last" ) we're about to get Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, Natalie Portman Thor, Ironheart, She-Hulk, Monica Rambeau, in addition to the genuine steps forward made with Valkyrie, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Black Widow, Shuri/Okoye, etc.

It's not perfect or great, or all should be forgiven, but it's also on-balance trying in that giant corporate machine way and after several decades following superhero industry stuff I can confidently say that really is about the best you can hope for.

Now if they whiff all of those new developments, then by all means we should circle back and stop funneling money, but surveying the landscape I do still think it's not worth keeping perspective.

On that note, I was surprised and happy to see the number of women in senior positions in the Loki credits.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

tragedyjones posted:

They were points. Because the sticks are pencils. The pruning end is an eraser.

FFS, how am I only now getting this?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Mage_Boy posted:

My thought is that Disney is in the wrong and should cut her a chunk of the Disney+ purchase price (not the subs because they can technically argue the subscription wasn't for the movie.) But I also think the movie would have done bad either way since it was both released in a pandemic and released after the lead character was already dead. The real villain is Ike Perlmutter who prevented a Black Widow movie from coming out earlier. And he is probably being a smug rear end in a top hat saying "I told you so."

That's not relevant, though. There'd be no case if Disney had released the film solely in cinemas, it flopped, Disney took a bath on it, and creatives with percentages of box office got little to nothing. No problem there, that's part of the gamble on negotiating a contract based on percentages. What happened instead is Disney did a hybrid release, the film took an unknown amount of money, Disney took that money, and creatives with percentages of box office got little to nothing. That's why there a lawsuit, not because the percentages were low but because the percentages did not in fact reflect a percentage of money taken by Disney.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

What?? Like I get different strokes but we just had the Dr Strange one. This doesn’t even come close to how good that was.

I genuinely preferred this to the Dr Strange one. I found the Dr Strange one too unremittingly bleak, this had a more balanced tone for me, with solid gags coupled with moving moments. Like you said, different strokes.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

For what it's worth I'm not a fan of zombie fiction and I really enjoyed it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Everyone else was either superpowered, in a supersuit or an alien.

The correct terminology is wizard, robot or alien

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

tsob posted:

As is, Hemsworth is ... the only major original Avenger in the MCU still around after Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr etc. have finished with the role.

You Forget Hulk

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

kazil posted:

Thanos with like 3 infinity gems was better equipped to handle superheroes than Ultron with all of them.

Episode was kinda lame and unsatisfying.

Calculating power rankings in the MCU is always a deeply unfulfilling experience so it's best to just roll with it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Everyone posted:

I did like how we got some advancement with all the other stories from this season.

I really want to see the Tony on Sakaar one now.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

https://youtu.be/9hTNTIsEt_c

Well that's certainly a thing. Could be good, could be atrocious, at least it's unlikely to be boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

The ending of episode two feels particularly eye-roll-worthy, 'cuz it's some sort of big epic dramatic buildup to a character that you would only ever give any kind of poo poo about whatsoever if you'd obsessively followed press announcements and so forth. If you hadn't, then it's just...some random person. Literally no one we'd ever seen or heard of before. Cool?

As someone who hasn't followed any of the press announcements, who exactly was that?