Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Why must you ruin my fun?

I mean. 6000 cds is still kinda weird these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I mean. 6000 cds is still kinda weird these days.

Now you're getting into the spirit of things!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive known a good handful of boomers whose 6000 cd collection and side-gig DJing was their only getaway from a bleak 50 hours in a factory week in and week out

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
drat near everywhere is deluded these days, they haven't made methaqualone since the eighties.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I dunno. Maybe I’m off track here but I don’t think he’s asking for someone to buy it for him. He’s just saying if you are buying it anyway please give him a call as he would like to DJ for your establishment.

Doesn’t seem that outrageous to me. Guess he just likes that bar

honestly, that fact makes it sadder to me. he's hitting up a potential buyer to give him a gig on the karaoke machine, if there is a karaoke machine, based on his resume of having been a co-host for other events

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the 6,000 music CDs are in escrow until you misers fork over your bags of gold to buy save the bar!!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Now you're getting into the spirit of things!

Where's your new thread???

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I dunno. Maybe I’m off track here but I don’t think he’s asking for someone to buy it for him. He’s just saying if you are buying it anyway please give him a call as he would like to DJ for your establishment.

Doesn’t seem that outrageous to me. Guess he just likes that bar

It reads like "buy it for me, it will be my bar because I am the MC. You will run it and get nothing for it"

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

goons with 6000 unplayed games on steam making fun of some dude who collected 6000 CDs, mmmmm

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bronze Fonz posted:

This is today's. Yesterday's was AFI thread. Tomorrow...who knows? The world is my oyster Bronzie.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

6,000 CDs at, say, $20 each new. That's around $120,000 worth.

That guy's serious CD addiction cost him his bar.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

he is from the land of CDs and broken promises. promise ghosts he calls them

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

gary oldmans diary posted:

he is from the land of CDs and broken promises. promise ghosts he calls them

Oh you better believe when I take the pledge I take THE PLEDGE.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
how many of those disks have already started suffering Bit Rot, do you think?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

This is today's. Yesterday's was AFI thread. Tomorrow...who knows? The world is my oyster Bronzie.

Honestly it seems like you maybe have a crush on Italian/American model David Havok and you're in denial

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

LargeHadron posted:

Honestly it seems like you maybe have a crush on Italian/American model David Havok and you're in denial

WHAT!!?? THAT'S THE MOST PREPOSTEROUS THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!

*surreptitiously closes door to Davey Havok shrine room*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

how many of those disks have already started suffering Bit Rot, do you think?

bitrot doesn't apply to optical media, thats one of the selling points.

they are, however, very fragile and can't just be stored, say, in your garage, because the plastic can warp or crack because of temperature extremes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a thread whereupon you entreat unacquainted patrons to purchase burritos most bean

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll throw in a twenty for the goon bar if the guy shows his 6000 CDs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mega64 posted:

I'll throw in a twenty for the goon bar if the guy shows his 6000 CDs.

can we get him to wear them?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

caleb posted:

One of those CDs is an AFI album.

STOP

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Halloween Liker posted:

6000 music CD's of all genres.

is there even that many genres?

6000 music cds of all genres but 5,982 of them are video game sound tracks

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

6000 music cds of all genres but 5,982 of them are video game sound tracks

Then he could start like a little museum or something. Thats gotta be the world largest video game sound track collection.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RFC2324 posted:

bitrot doesn't apply to optical media, thats one of the selling points.

they are, however, very fragile and can't just be stored, say, in your garage, because the plastic can warp or crack because of temperature extremes

in warm humid environments there are molds that can grow on cds & send filaments into the glue that holds the layers together to eat it

I'm sure this florida man from a depressed small town is storing his massive CD collection inside in a humidity controlled room rather than in his swamp shed.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Klyith posted:

in warm humid environments there are molds that can grow on cds & send filaments into the glue that holds the layers together to eat it

I'm sure this florida man from a depressed small town is storing his massive CD collection inside in a humidity controlled room rather than in his swamp shed.

Florida???

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its actually in oregon, based on a quick google

I assume you are local

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fuckin idiot only has 6,000 music CDs while I have 6,005, what a fuckin dumbass.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Plus I have genres they don't even loving KNOW.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

RFC2324 posted:

its actually in oregon, based on a quick google

I assume you are local

I am not only local I believe I know the gentleman who posted the advertisement (pronounced advert-is-ment).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
that's not even that deluded for craigslist

there are a million wink wink "free" room postings but not as funny as this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oh I saw "Flo" so I thought this was in florida

not a dumb abbreviation for a pipsqueak town by a guy that's only lived there for a few months

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Klyith posted:

oh I saw "Flo" so I thought this was in florida

not a dumb abbreviation for a pipsqueak town by a guy that's only lived there for a few months

Florida is Fla

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

eSports Chaebol posted:

that's not even that deluded for craigslist

there are a million wink wink "free" room postings but not as funny as this

Same vein slightly more subtle:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

It's like the Doobies Dog House of Florida Flo

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Puttin on the Schnitz.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

man i would hate to be a normal closed thinking gal and miss out on seeing lewis loving black!

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

to be fair you get a high end dinner before you see lewis black and the hilton sweet

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

night: starts out with fogo and ends up watching lewis black sweat on stage for an hour before a spectacular night at the hilton by the river while you poo poo out the quivelent of a plate of food the size of my fist

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Klyith posted:

Doesn't rewritable media or single write media use an organic dye that is activated by the laser (heat) to write the bits?

I remember that if you left CD-Rs in a hot car they eventually stop working due to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Laserface posted:

Doesn't rewritable media or single write media use an organic dye that is activated by the laser (heat) to write the bits?

I remember that if you left CD-Rs in a hot car they eventually stop working due to this

From experience leaving them in a hot car the plastic had a low enough melting point that the dye changing because of the heat was irrelevant. The disc deformed and would not longer spin before you noticed any data loss from the dye denaturing