Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Mind_Taker posted:

Ovechkin, Bondra, Jagr, Marleau to start

Yep.

1. Jagr (766)
2. Ovechkin (706)
3. Marleau (562)
8. Bondra (503)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hossa too. I assume it's mostly recently retired guys who aren't eligible yet.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Pat Verbeek

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Hossa too. I assume it's mostly recently retired guys who aren't eligible yet.

I got stumped on an earlier question, because I forgot that Hossa was inducted in 2020.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Pat Verbeek

Verbeek is the player I forgot about most scoring 500+ goals. I never saw him in his prime scoring days, and even still, the era is mostly the reason that he hit 500.

1. Jagr (766)
2. Ovechkin (706)
3. Marleau (562)
5. Verbeek (522)
8. Bondra (503)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Canadians 35 goal scorer was Erik Cole!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I honestly have no memory of Erik Cole playing for Montreal. And even if I had, I don't think I ever would have guessed that correctly. He had a fine career, but in my head, he ONLY played for Carolina and Edmonton.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Erik Cole. That's a guy I would never have thought of again even though I guess he was pretty good. I don't remember him playing in Edmonton at all either.

Twin Cinema posted:

I got stumped on an earlier question, because I forgot that Hossa was inducted in 2020.

Huh, well I have some weird memory hole for 2020 because I could've sworn they said they weren't inducting anyone this year.

I also clearly remember Ovechkin signing a 3 year $30m contract extension which I thought was pretty reasonable but apparently that was only rumoured to have been an offer that was rejected.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Huh, well I have some weird memory hole for 2020 because I could've sworn they said they weren't inducting anyone this year.

I also clearly remember Ovechkin signing a 3 year $30m contract extension which I thought was pretty reasonable but apparently that was only rumoured to have been an offer that was rejected.

I thought I heard that, too. Maybe they meant either there will be none in 2021, or that the actual induction ceremony will take place next year. Because Hossa, Iginla, Lowe, and Doug Wilson got inducted. Also, Kim St-Pierre.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Recent trivia answers Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick are members of the 500 club.

The last one is probably a really good player who didn't win a cup, seeing as that's how you score 500 and don't get into the Hall.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Recent trivia answers Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick are members of the 500 club.

The last one is probably a really good player who didn't win a cup, seeing as that's how you score 500 and don't get into the Hall.
I hope people are not advocating for guys like Verbeek, Tkachuk or Bondra to get in the Hall.

And the answer is Turgeon, who is certainly better than those players, but does suffer reputation wise.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

1. Jagr (766)
2. Ovechkin (706)
3. Marleau (562)
4. Tkachuk (538)
5. Verbeek (522)
6. Turgeon (515)
7. Roenick (513)
8. Bondra (503)

Yes, Turgeon is an interesting case where he has all the numbers in the world that you'd want from a HOFer, but that "soft" label has really stuck with him.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Speaking of the Hall of Fame, I have another question.

Mike Sillinger is not a Hall of Famer. And despite playing for 17 seasons for 12 different teams, he only appeared in at least one NHL game with (to my knowledge) only 14 current Hall of Famers. Who are they?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

Mike Sillinger is not a Hall of Famer. And despite playing for 17 seasons for 12 different teams, he only appeared in at least one NHL game with (to my knowledge) only 14 current Hall of Famers. Who are they?

Lidstrom, Yzerman?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I imagine Jagr and Sillinger had to cross paths at some point.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think he played for the early/mid-00s Blues so I'll guess Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Should clarify I meant teammates, not just appeared in the same game, because that would be practically every HOFer from the period.

WeaponX posted:

Lidstrom, Yzerman?

Correct! They're two of the six HOFers he played with on the Red Wings.

Twin Cinema posted:

I imagine Jagr and Sillinger had to cross paths at some point.

Funny enough, he never played with Jagr, who didn't begin his journeyman run until after Sillinger retired.

tinstaach posted:

I think he played for the early/mid-00s Blues so I'll guess Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis
Sillinger did play for the Blues, but they didn't acquire him until a few months after MacInnis played his last game. Pronger is correct, though.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

1. Jagr (766)
2. Ovechkin (706)
3. Marleau (562)
4. Tkachuk (538)
5. Verbeek (522)
6. Turgeon (515)
7. Roenick (513)
8. Bondra (503)

Yes, Turgeon is an interesting case where he has all the numbers in the world that you'd want from a HOFer, but that "soft" label has really stuck with him.
Turgeon was on the Punch Up in Piestasny team but got a lot of flack because he was IIRC the only Canadian not involved in the fighting. He was also the guy who got decked by Dale Hunter after a goal celebration in the playoffs.

mentholmoose posted:

Hossa

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

Correct! They're two of the six HOFers he played with on the Red Wings.
Then likely some combo of Fedorov, Coffey, Murphy, Ciccarelli, Fetisov, Larionov, Shanahan

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Then likely some combo of Fedorov, Coffey, Murphy, Ciccarelli, Fetisov, Larionov, Shanahan

Four correct there I believe. He played with Fedorov, Coffey, and Cicarelli with the Wings, never played with Shanahan or Larry Murphy, and (weirdly) didn't play with Larionov until Larionov's half season with the Panthers in 2000-01.

Also correct, they played like 13 games together on the Senators.

Six left. I'll post hints on a few in a bit.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Panthers in 00-01? That must mean he played with Bure. I think Bure was still in Florida.

e: This is hard for me because I don't remember Sillinger's career.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

Panthers in 00-01? That must mean he played with Bure. I think Bure was still in Florida.

e: This is hard for me because I don't remember Sillinger's career.

Also correct.

And a quick hint for another answer: they also played together on the Canucks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
He was on the Flyers in the 90s so he must've played with Lindros. I think Coffey was around then, too, but he was already named as a Red Wing. Pretty sure he was also on the Ducks, so that would mean Selanne and Kariya With the Lightning, I think he played with St. Louis. He also played *in* St. Louis, so I'm gonna guess Pronger, since I think he was an Islanders by the time Pronger left STL. Pretty sure there were no HoFers in those last few years with the Islanders.

Who else did he play for? Detroit, Ottawa, Nashville, Vancouver, Florida, maybe Phoenix? Calgary or Colorado?

Between the Blues, Red Wings, and Coyotes, maybe he played with Brett Hull? Blues would've also had Al MacInnis at that time.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Also correct.

And a quick hint for another answer: they also played together on the Canucks.

The only other player I can think of from the late-90s Canucks that was a HOFer was Messier. I am unsure if they overlapped. But I am guessing they did.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

He was on the Flyers in the 90s so he must've played with Lindros. I think Coffey was around then, too, but he was already named as a Red Wing. Pretty sure he was also on the Ducks, so that would mean Selanne and Kariya With the Lightning, I think he played with St. Louis. He also played *in* St. Louis, so I'm gonna guess Pronger, since I think he was an Islanders by the time Pronger left STL. Pretty sure there were no HoFers in those last few years with the Islanders.

Who else did he play for? Detroit, Ottawa, Nashville, Vancouver, Florida, maybe Phoenix? Calgary or Colorado?

Between the Blues, Red Wings, and Coyotes, maybe he played with Brett Hull? Blues would've also had Al MacInnis at that time.

Lindros is correct, too. They didn't play too many games together since Lindros was entering concussion land by the time Sillinger was on the Flyers, but they did. Selanne and Kariya are also correct. Fun fact, Kariya and Sillinger were both on the Predators in 05-06 as well.

St. Louis is incorrect, he joined the Lightning the year after Mike left. Pronger and MacInnis I explained above. Hull is also incorrect, he was on the Coyotes the year after the lockout; Sillinger was on before the lockout.

Twin Cinema posted:

The only other player I can think of from the late-90s Canucks that was a HOFer was Messier. I am unsure if they overlapped. But I am guessing they did.

Messier is correct. The Lays Chips man and Sillinger played half a season together, Messier's first with the Canucks.

One left, easily the most difficult. The last of the six HOFers he played with on the Wings.

These are the already guessed people:
Sergei Fedorov
Igor Larionov
Mark Messier
Pavel Bure
Dino Cicarelli
Paul Kariya
Teemu Selanne
Eric Lindros
Marian Hossa
Paul Coffey
Chris Pronger
Nicklas Lidstrom
Steve Yzerman

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am not sure the years he played with the Wings but Chelios or Hasek?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I am not sure the years he played with the Wings but Chelios or Hasek?
Unless he went back there he was earlier there. He was their top pick in the draft class with Fedorov and Lidstrom.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Unless he went back there he was earlier there. He was their top pick in the draft class with Fedorov and Lidstrom.

Man, my timeframe of when Sillinger played is way off. I thought he was more of a late-90s to early-10s guy.

Here is one I won't give any hints for

Mats Sundin joined the Maple Leafs prior to the 1994-95 season. Until he left after the 2008-09 season, he led the Leafs in scoring every year...except for one. Do you know which other player led the Leafs in scoring during this timeframe?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Antropov? Darcy Tucker that time he had like 70pts for no reason?

I noticed the other day that between 1992/93 and 2016/17 the Canucks were led in scoring by a European player every single year. It's not much of a trivia question because it's relatively obvious who those players are, but 23 seasons without a Canadian or American leading an NHL team in scoring must be a record. Has another team even had a European lead the team in scoring that many times in their history?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 22, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Antropov? Darcy Tucker that time he had like 70pts for no reason?

I noticed the other day that between 1992/93 and 2016/17 the Canucks were led in scoring by a European player every single year. It's not much of a trivia question because it's relatively obvious who those players are, but 23 seasons without a Canadian or American leading an NHL team in scoring must be a record. Has another team even had a European lead the team in scoring that many times in their history?

The Capitals, somewhat ironically, had 17 seasons in a row with a European on top but Carlson broke that streak last year (although I did think for a second...is he Swedish? lol)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 22, 2020

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Antropov? Darcy Tucker that time he had like 70pts for no reason.

Antropov would never lead the Leafs in scoring. And, the season after Sundin left, he was traded to the Rangers for a 2nd round pick.

Tucker was able to hit 61 in 05-06, but only managed to finish 4th in scoring on the team. However, his 59 in 01-02 had him finish 2nd.

ThinkTank posted:

I would assume that this is a record, just because Europeans didn't start coming over until the late-80s/early-90s. Was there even many teams pre-92/93 that had a European lead their team in scoring?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mogilny then? He was decent for the Leafs from what I remember and like his time with the Canucks you go "oh yeah he was a consistent 90+ point guy. I forgot about that."

Twin Cinema posted:

I would assume that this is a record, just because Europeans didn't start coming over until the late-80s/early-90s. Was there even many teams pre-92/93 that had a European lead their team in scoring?

Scandinavian players hace been around since the 70s. The Canucks have been led in scoring by Europeans pretty consistently since the late 70s/early 80s (I'd ask you to name them but a game of try and remember the mostly irrelevant pre-Bure Canucks players isn't that much fun).

The numbers certainly increased after the fall of the iron curtain as Russians arrived, but non-russian Europeans have been here for a long time. They just tended not to stick around for more than a handful of seasons for whatever reason. Kent Nilsson showed up aged 21, had a bunch of sensational seasons then went back to Sweden aged 29. If he'd stuck it out he'd be more widely regarded as one of the all-time greats.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Mogilny then? He was decent for the Leafs from what I remember and like his time with the Canucks you go "oh yeah he was a consistent 90+ point guy. I forgot about that."

Yep, this is it. He led the team in 02-03.

Also, I am now just realizing that Mogilny only played a season and a half for the Devils (before going back in 05-06), because in my mind, it was a lot longer.

ThinkTank posted:

Scandinavian players hace been around since the 70s. The Canucks have been led in scoring by Europeans pretty consistently since the late 70s/early 80s (I'd ask you to name them but a game of try and remember the mostly irrelevant pre-Bure Canucks players isn't that much fun).

The numbers certainly increased after the fall of the iron curtain as Russians arrived, but non-russian Europeans have been here for a long time. They just tended not to stick around for more than a handful of seasons for whatever reason. Kent Nilsson showed up aged 21, had a bunch of sensational seasons then went back to Sweden aged 29. If he'd stuck it out he'd be more widely regarded as one of the all-time greats.

Stan Smyl is the one that comes to mind, but I don't think he was European. The only pre-Bure Canucks player I know is Gradin.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Stan Smyl is the one that comes to mind, but I don't think he was European. The only pre-Bure Canucks player I know is Gradin.

Tomas Gradin, Petri Skriko and Patrik Sundstrom all led the team in scoring in the 80s. The Canucks have had a handful of European players on their roster (predominantly Swedish) since the mid 70s.

Also thanks to Gradin Rod Sedlbauer had one of the best stat lines in Canucks history. 79gp 40g 16a 56pts, easily the worst player to ever lead the team in scoring. It was his only noteworthy season, he never hit even 20 goals before or after that.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Chelios and Hasek were both gone by the time Sillinger debuted. Another hint, the final answer spent the twilight of his career in Detroit and wasn’t really known as a Red Wing. His number is retired by the team he spent most of his NHL career with.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jaromir Jagr is famed for the incredible longevity and durability he's showed as he continues his career with Kladno in the Czech Republic aged 48. In his final season with Calgary a full half of his teammates had yet to be born when he made his NHL debut in October 1990.

So long is his career that eight players who made their NHL debuts after his rookie season in 1990/91 were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame before he played his last NHL game in 2017/18. Can you name them?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Jaromir Jagr is famed for the incredible longevity and durability he's showed as he continues his career with Kladno in the Czech Republic aged 48. In his final season with Calgary a full half of his teammates had yet to be born when he made his NHL debut in October 1990.

So long is his career that eight players who made their NHL debuts after his rookie season in 1990/91 were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame before he played his last NHL game in 2017/18. Can you name them?

Bure, Leetch, Lindros?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Lindros and Forsberg are two that come to mind.

Unsure of when Lidstrom actually debuted, but he's also my answer.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bure is correct! He debuted in 91/92, retired in 02/03 due to injuries and was elected to the HHOF in 2012 in his sixth year of eligibility.

Lindros is also correct! Despite being drafted in 91 he didn't debut until 92/93 due to his holdout with Quebec. He retired in 2006/07 and was inducted in 2016.

Leetch is not correct, he began his career a few years before Jagr.

It's not just guys who had their careers shortened due to injury. There are a couple that were known for having long careers including two guys who played into their 40s.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think Paul Kariya is in the HoF. His buddy Selanne as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Forsberg is correct! He debuted in 94/95 after spending four years in Sweden following his draft. Injuries cut down his career and he retired in 2010/11 and was inducted in 2014.

Lidstrom is also correct amazingly! He was drafted the year before Jagr but didn't debut until the season after him. One of the most durable players ever he played 20 full seasons retiring in 2011/12 aged 41. He was inducted into the HHOF in his first year of eligibility in 2015. Jagr would play a further three seasons beyond that.