Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mario Lemieux is the only player in the expansion era to win the Hart trophy and miss the playoffs in the same season. The Penguins actually finished last in their division in 1987/88 but Mario had 168pts including 70 goals in 77 games that year officially earning him the Super Mario nickname. While more common, can you name all the times a player has accomplished the unusual feat of winning the Hart Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same year (post 67)? It's only been accomplished 11 times by 7 different players.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Good question, although my original question still has 2 goalies unsolved...

Ah shoot sorry I thought you meant one question per person at a time. I'll remove it for now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As for your question, offhand guesses:

1. Wayne Goddamn Gretz-goddamn-ky
2. Mark Messier
3. Sidney Crosby
4. Did Mario do it in the 90's Cups?
5. Martin St Louis

I think I'm missing one...
I added it back and I actually missed Lafleur so I've edited it slightly.

1. Gretzky, of course. He won the Hart a record setting 9 times and the Cup four times. They overlapped three times in 83/84, 84/85 and 86/87. His most decorated year was 1984/85 winning the Art Ross, Hart, Pearson and being awarded the Conn Smythe trophy as playoff MVP.

2. Messier is correct. He did it in 89/90 when he led the Gretzkyless Oilers to a surprise Stanley Cup. Bill Ranford was the Conn Smythe winner for whatever reason.

3. Surprisingly Crosby has not done it. He's won two Hart trophies, two Conn Smythes and three cups. However none have overlapped. His Hart trophies came in 06/07 and 13/14 when they were eliminated in the first and second rounds respectively.

4. Mario also has not done it. Much like Sid he had a decorated career winning three Hart trophies and two Conn Smythes. However his two Conn Smythes came in 90/91 and 91/92 as he led the Pens to their first cups. He won the Art Ross each year but the Hart went to Hull and Messier those years.

5. Martin St. Louis did it and he remains the most recent individual to accomplish the feat in 03/04. He won the Art Ross and Pearson as well as he defeated the team that gave up on him four years prior in a thrilling game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Bobby Orr
Guy Lafleur

Bobby Orr has also done it of course. In 69/70 and 71/72. He was the Conn Smythe winner both times.

Guy Lafleur has also done it twice (somehow I blanked him out in my mind as I was reading through the list). He did so in 76/77 and 77/78, winning the Conn Smythe the first time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Did Jagr, then?

Nope, Jagr has only won the Hart once in 98/99. He won Stanley Cups each of his first two years in the league win the Penguins but was a secondary threat on both teams not breaking the ppg mark either year. His revelation as a world class player came in the lockout year where he finished with 70pts in 48 games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So we've got:

1. Gretzky
2. Messier
3. St. Louis
4. Orr
5. Lafleur
6. Clarke
7. Sakic

I think that's it, right?

Yup! Sakic in 01 and Clarke in 75 were the last couple. I have some serious Mandella effect when it comes to Forsberg because I could've sworn I'd heard it discussed multiple times that he won the Hart and the Cup in the same year and he was such a leader, but nope he only won the Hart in 02/03 when the Avs were eliminated by the Wild in the first round :lol:

I was also prepared to have someone call me on my lead statement where I said Lemieux is the only player to win the Hart and miss the playoffs. That's TECHNICALLY correct, but arguably no longer the case. Draisaitl won the award this year and the Oilers failed to make the final 16 after losing to the Hawks in the play-in. However, the league ruled that making the play-in counted as making the playoffs for record keeping and streak purposes (pretty much entirely to ensure that the Pens playoff drought didn't end) so Draisaitl 'made the playoffs' and won the Hart in a year when he his team did not appear in a playoff game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Coyotes haven't been able to score for years and I know Schmaltz and Keller were racing to see if they could hit 50 last season, but I guess that's not a full year. I'd guess that no one did it for them in 18/19 either, so Keller for the Coyotes?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Wild in the early part of the 2010s couldn't score at all, so maybe Mikko Koivu or Dany Heatley somewhere between 2011 and 2014?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh the Panthers in 2013? 2014? Before Huberdeau and Barkov came along. So um Vince Trocheck?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Question is within the last 5 years.

It was last 6 full seasons which presumably skips last year and the 2012/13 lockout year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

yeah this is correct.

I will say that you picked the correct team in the 2013-14 panthers, but the wrong player :D

I am not sure I can name a single other player off those rosters. Brian Campbell?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Devils had a player lead them and it wasn't Elias or Palmieri? I doubt it was Hischier since he had a 52 point rookie season.

Was it Henrique again?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

no Brian Campbell was 1 off the team lead that year.. and he only scored 37 points lol

It is a player who is reasonably well known and was a long term guy on Florida

Oh dear god I have no idea. Reasonably well known eliminates Jagr (and I think he showed up a few years later anyways). Brad Boyes? I think he played for them.

E: Jussi Jokinen?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He was traded to Calgary in about 2010.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Nope I'm afraid all those Florida guesses are wrong :(

The guy is currently 28 years old, he lead the 2013-14 Panthers in scoring his rookie season.

So he was like 20 then? Does he still play for them? Was it Huberdeau?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wtf who is this guy. Haha

Yeah I'm stumped I was assuming it was some vet they signed for two years that just lead the team in scoring, got traded at the deadline and retired.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

It is not Huberdeau, and he does not currently play for the Panthers but he did for the vast majority of his (to date) career

David Booth doesn't work time wise because he was traded to Vancouver in 2011 and he's also not even close to 28. Is it a forward or a defenceman?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Was it Dadonov?

Didn't he not join the team until like 2019? Or did he have an earlier appearance on the team before his stint in Russia. I am exposing my Florida Panthers ignorance here.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Ekblad didn't show up until the following 2014-15 season, and he did not lead that team in scoring - that was Huberdeau who had been in the league a couple seasons by that point but had only scored 28 points in 2013-14. Our mystery player actually also out-scored Ekblad in 2014-15 :D

Hint: 91 or 92 birth year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gotta be a guy on Nashville pre-Johansen/Forsberg too

I feel like they always had a guy score 62 points to lead the team, but that's a possibility. Did Weber ever lead the Preds?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Nope, much like Colorado the Predators have been surprisingly consistent at having decent scorers on their team.. which surprised me too cause of their reputaiton. Their lowest leading point scorer in that time frame was 56 points, and the rest of the seasons were all over 60.

Yeah I'm assuming these teams have to be dog barf level garbage. A playoff contender will fluke into a 60pt leading scorer no matter how balanced they are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

All these fools forgetting Tricky Nick Bjugstad will pay when he isn't injured.

Lol holy poo poo was it Bjustad? He's a 92 birth year and played most of his career with the Panthers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hahahah holy poo poo I thought he was like their 3rd line centre?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am thinking of Columbus and Buffalo squads

Dubinsky c. 2013 or 2014?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

38 point Nick Bjustad haha I'd be pissed off if the Canucks 2nd line RW only had 38 points.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kevin Fiala 18-19?

Alternatively: Mikael Granlund the year before?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What about the Leafs in 13-14?

Kessel put up 60+ points a year with the leafs. Scoring was never really there problem, it was keeping it out of their net lol lebda

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Avs had pretty much the worst season in the modern era in 16/17 but I'd guess MacKinnon hit 50 points? Was he injured or something and it was Duchene?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Sedins and then Horvat always meant the Canucks had over 50pts per year... I'd certainly remember if they didn't.

Was it the pre-McDavid Oilers? They had Hall and such but they could've done it. Nugent-Hopkins or Hall c. 2014?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

in 2013-14 Daniel Sedin led the Canucks with exactly 50 points! he's an honorable mention along with 2015-16 Zetterberg.

That was Henrik but ah yes, the Torts year. I'd forgotten quite how bad it was. Petey and Hughes I love you my beautiful boys, please never leave me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

The Leaf is Kadri I think

That's probably right unless it was Bozak.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Did Radim Vrbata lead the Coyotes or Canucks?

Not the Canucks, but possibly the Coyotes. He was surprisingly great in Vancouver but man I forgot he ever existed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

I feel like the Starsfan would ask a question that would have a Star as an answer, but Jamie Benn seems to be too good a scorer.

Eric Staal lead one of those obscure teams? Feels like an HoF player.

Jamie Benn holds the record for the lowest point total to win the Art Ross since like 1965 at 87. I think only Statsny had a lower point total. It was such a depressing year.

e: to contibute: Jeff Skinner from one of those crap rear end Hurricanes teams?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm struggling with appeared twice in a row for the same team that no one has identified. The Ducks? Getzlaf or Perry?

As for HHoFers I'm guessing we're talking guys on the extreme downswing of their careers. That eliminates San Jose because they were only bad last year. Islanders? Tavares?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

14-15 Sabres, Reinhart?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

Who the gently caress played for Buffalo then? Did Reinhart lead the team in points or is he too recent a draft pick?

He was 2nd in 2014 so was on the 14/15 team. I can't think of anyone else who was worthwhile then.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Someone stupid like Jochen Hecht or Paul Gaustad? Did Girgensons actually lead the team in scoring that year there was that depressing all-star campaign for him?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fewer things bring me joy than thinking of NHL losers

I just refreshed the page and saw this. Yes, I agree. Very much.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That would require him to be great and if his time in Vancouver was any indication, boy was he ever not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ennis? Does he have good analytics?