Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Mario Lemieux is the only player in the expansion era to win the Hart trophy and miss the playoffs in the same season. The Penguins actually finished last in their division in 1987/88 but Mario had 168pts including 70 goals in 77 games that year officially earning him the Super Mario nickname. While more common, can you name all the times a player has accomplished the unusual feat of winning the Hart Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same year (post 67)? It's only been accomplished 11 times by 7 different players.
Orr in 70 and 72, Clarke in I think both 74 and 75, LaFleur in 77 and some other year in the 70's, Gretzky in 84, 85 and 87, Messier in 90, Sakic in 01, St Louis in 04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fawning deference posted:

Since we have some people in the thread hanging, let's do a fun/maybe easy one.

Besides Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr, name the 14 players to hit 85 assists in a single season. This is more of a "let's see how fast this goes" than a hard one...

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Paul Coffey
3. Nikita Kucherov
4. Joe Thornton
5. Adam Oates
6. Jaromir Jagr
7. Ron Francis
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Pat LaFontaine
10. Bryan Trottier
11. Doug Gilmour

Also gently caress it, 2nd one too: Since 1990, only four goalies have amassed 40 losses in a single season. Name them.
Dionne? Stastny? Esposito? Clarke?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nobody has any guesses at the lone 85-assist guy left or the 40-loss goalies?
For 85 assist guys: Messier? Savard? Perreault?

I'm wondering if it's someone with a fluke season.

For 40 loss goalies I'm going to guess a bunch of early Senators: Beaupre, Billington, Sadorkawiecz

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Ray Whitney?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Kevin Dineen?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pitkanen was long expected to be some perennial Norris contender before falling apart in 2007. Weird career

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I remember Jacque Richard being the king of one year wonders

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Has anyone on Nashville scored 40 yet?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If it's the Kings than I would expect the bonus answer to be Luc Robitaille.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

Ok I'll ask another question.

Alex Ovechkin has scored 50+ goals 3 years in a row (twice, actually). Who was the last person to do it before him?
John Leclair?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Tuomo Ruutu was probably one of them, unless he got really hurt that year.

Him, Pitkanen and Kari Lehtonen were meant to be something of a golden generation for Finnish hockey at that point.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Did Prospal hit 30 with them?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Didn't Selivanov have a breakout season that turned out to be a mirage?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Quick two:

Who is the Minnesota Wild franchise leader for single-season assists total?

Who led the 1998-99 Maple Leafs in goals?
PM Bouchard?

Sergei Berezin?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
When did Mogilny join the Leafs? I'm guessing it's not a trivia question if the answer is Sundin

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

I'd guess somebody who debuted in the early 80's and had a real long career. I'd say Bourque but he never was associated with the Leafs.
Ron Francis was a 2004 deadline acquisition by the Leafs, so I'm thinking it's him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

So, my guess is that it's a defensemen who had a ton of points but not as many goals. I am thinking either Borje Salming, Phil Housley, or Randy Carlyle. No other defenseman that hit a ton of points is coming to mind.
Housley had a 97 point season so of those it would be him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It might be a defenseman for under 15 but another guy I would guess is Scott Gomez.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think Alfredsson would have played with either. Lidstrom had retired by the time he got there. He also hasn't made the Hall yet. Pat Verbeek is thankfully not in the Hall of Fame.

Ciccarelli was another one. Bernie Federko had a really bad showing with the Wings before they got really good. Marian Hossa didn't win it with Detroit, and meets the bare minimum of a year. Mark Howe was on there in his twilight as well.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think a lot of guys did it recently. Mayyyyyyybe in 06?

Bunch of guesses: Jagr, Trottier, Potvin, Savard, Vaive, MacInnis, Coffey, Leetch, Goulet, Nicholls

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gilmour, Lindros

Edit: Recchi, Robitaille

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 17, 2020

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Crosby's gotta be the most recent then, right?

Andreychuk or Roenick ever hit it?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Remaining
-Three time 100/100 club member, a pretty good defenseman
-Dude who scored ten points in a game
-A player who was traded during the season he did it, and later beat cancer for a brief NHL comeback
-A large guy
-A jerk
-An ancient one
-A hairdresser
-A guy who knows how a suit fits
-Two dudes with big moustaches (not Lanny)
-Mario's wingman that nobody remembers (not Luigi)
-A Ranger
Bobby Orr
Darryl Sittler
Rob Brown

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

I have two.

Other than Phil Esposito and Alexander Ovechkin, who has recorded the most shots in a single season? No hints for this one.

With a 20-goal minimum requirement, which two players sit at 1-2 for the highest single-season shooting percentage (32.8% and 32.3%)? This needs some hints, since it could be a lot of players.

1. Did it in the early 80's and was part of a lethal line.
2. Did it in the early 90's a year after making a big impact in his rookie year. The following season, he shot over 26%!
Brett Hull for the first one?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

1. Did it in the early 80's and was part of a lethal line.
Dave Taylor? Charlie Simmer?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Let's remember some terrible prospects folks! In 2011 Hugh Jessiman became the final player selected in the first round of the 2003 draft (widely regardest as the best in modern history) to appear in an NHL game. 18 players from that draft class have reached 1000 games or are expected to do so. Jessiman, selected 12th overall, managed two.

In the decade that followed that draft (2004-2013) eight players selected with a top 10 pick failed to appear in 100 NHL games. Can you name these lovable busts?

This is a toughie for those of you who aren't obsessive draft nerds like me so I've included draft year and team as hints.

2004 - Columbus
2004 - Atlanta
2005 - Vancouver
2007 - Boston
2008 - Columbus
2009 - Dallas
2010 - NY Rangers
2012 - NY Islanders

Scott Glennie is the Stars player I think. I guess there are worse things than using a top 10 pick on Jared Cowen.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is Alex Parent the Columbus guy? I know it's a French-Canadian player but I'm trying to remember any details of the same named defenseman.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Glen Wesley

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pat Verbeek is the other one

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Recent trivia answers Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick are members of the 500 club.

The last one is probably a really good player who didn't win a cup, seeing as that's how you score 500 and don't get into the Hall.
I hope people are not advocating for guys like Verbeek, Tkachuk or Bondra to get in the Hall.

And the answer is Turgeon, who is certainly better than those players, but does suffer reputation wise.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

1. Jagr (766)
2. Ovechkin (706)
3. Marleau (562)
4. Tkachuk (538)
5. Verbeek (522)
6. Turgeon (515)
7. Roenick (513)
8. Bondra (503)

Yes, Turgeon is an interesting case where he has all the numbers in the world that you'd want from a HOFer, but that "soft" label has really stuck with him.
Turgeon was on the Punch Up in Piestasny team but got a lot of flack because he was IIRC the only Canadian not involved in the fighting. He was also the guy who got decked by Dale Hunter after a goal celebration in the playoffs.

mentholmoose posted:

Speaking of the Hall of Fame, I have another question.

Mike Sillinger is not a Hall of Famer. And despite playing for 17 seasons for 12 different teams, he only appeared in at least one NHL game with (to my knowledge) only 14 current Hall of Famers. Who are they?
Hossa

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

Correct! They're two of the six HOFers he played with on the Red Wings.
Then likely some combo of Fedorov, Coffey, Murphy, Ciccarelli, Fetisov, Larionov, Shanahan

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I am not sure the years he played with the Wings but Chelios or Hasek?
Unless he went back there he was earlier there. He was their top pick in the draft class with Fedorov and Lidstrom.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Strangely no goaltender applies.

Hasek just misses the cut off as he played 5 games with the Hawks in 90/91.

Belfour made his NHL debut in 1988.

Brodeur did debut after Jagr and did retire before him, but was inducted in 2018 a few months after Jagr's last NHL game. Probably should've skipped that pointless year with St. Louis, eh fatso?

The last two guys are defencemen
Niedermayer, Zubov?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ah man, what year did Pronger debut
He was drafted in 93 so after Jagr

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Don't know about the height but MSL was pretty beefy in a way that I don't think like Gaudreau would be. Back when he couldn't make teams out of training camp he was supposedly coming in at 135 lbs.

Ennis? Conacher?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is the 02 Minnesota one another Pierre-Marc Bouchard appearance?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He was pretty good except for the frequent massive concussions he endured. It was pretty impressive to be a tiny man drafted top 10 in 2002.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

Another hint on this one, his father's a better known Red Wing than he is.
Mark Howe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I dont know how old Bouwmeester was in 06 but he mightve qualified. Otherwise maybe Kulikov?