Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

With the NHL season looming and the success of the Fantasy Draft threads every year, I thought I would do something fun: create a hockey trivia thread. We are all loving lunatics who seem to recall 4th line jobbers from 1993 extremely well, so let's do this! I'll lay out some guidelines - not rules per se, just the gist of what I had in mind and what makes a good trivia question.

1. One question at a time. This is to keep things from being chaotic, although two- or even three-pronged questions (name the team, the year, and the player, etc.) are perfectly fair game.

2. No cheating, you eggheads. This goes without saying and I trust my hockey brethren here not to just go to hockeydb and look answers up. The only way this is fun is to actually try to recall off the top of your head.

3. If requested by 5 or more posters, drop a hint. If a question seems really tough and a bunch of us agree and ask for a hint, totally fine! Just don't give too good a hint where it'll give it away.

4. The person who gets the answer right first starts a new question. Seems like a decent rule of thumb.

What makes a trivia question good? Not too easy and not too hard. "Who is the Ranger's only 40-win goaltender in a season?" is too easy. "Name everyone on the 1985 Whalers who had less than 20 goals" is too hard. Make it reasonable, and if it's a list, try not to make it a question with more than 10 players to list unless it's really interesting. You can talk about single seasons, franchise records, or other weirder stuff. So, I guess, I'll start it off with one that's pretty easy, and I'll let you guys pick up and take the difficulty level to where you want it!

Name the 8 goalies in the modern era (post-expansion) who have played at least one game for five different franchises and accumulated 40 or more shutouts.

1. Curtis Joseph (Twin Cinema) - STL/EDM/TOR/DET/PHX/CGY, 51 SO
2. Ed Belfour (Twin Cinema) - CHI/SJ/DAL/TOR/FLA, 76 SO
3. John Vanbiesbrouck (Twin Cinema) - NYR/NYI/NJD/PHI/FLA, 40 SO
4. Nikolai Khabibulin (Twin Cinema) - WPG/PHX/TBL/CHI/EDM, 46 SO
5. Jaroslav Halak (Gobias Ind.) - MTL/STL/WSH/NYI/BOS, 50 SO
6. Tom Barrasso (Twin Cinema) - BUF/PIT/OTT/CAR/TOR/STL, 40 SO* (38 official)
7. Tomas Vokoun (Twin Cinema) - MTL/NSH/FLA/WSH/PIT - 51 SO
8. Brian Elliott (Twin Cinema) - OTT/COL/STL/CGY/PHI

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

That one is tough. I am just guessing at guys who moved around a lot, and who I think probably hit 40 shutouts.

Joseph, Belfour, Vanbiesbrouck, Theodore, Moog, Khabibulin, and Vernon.

e: lol. Just looked each of these guys up.

"A tough one" entails getting four of the seven off-hand. Solid. Belfour/Joseph/Beezer/Bulin are correct.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Halak is correct!

Two more.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

I didn't think Bulin would count since he played for one team that just relocated.

I also would have thought he played for, like, 8 teams.

The wording is important - I said franchises, not teams!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

AsInHowe posted:

Terry Sawchuk has to be one, he played for a ton of teams for short stints.

Unless it's another old guy, I'd guess Grant Fuhr.

Modern era, so no Sawchuk.

Fuhr only had 25 shutouts.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

CBJSprague24 posted:

What about Sporcle quizzes? Do you want us to just drop links?

All CBJ Hat Tricks: https://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/columbus-blue-jackets-hat-tricks
All CBJ 10+ goal scorers: https://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/cbj10goalscorers
If you're feeling really frisky, every CBJ player, by number: https://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/alltimejackets

May as well drop those in here.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Mario Lemieux is the only player in the expansion era to win the Hart trophy and miss the playoffs in the same season. The Penguins actually finished last in their division in 1987/88 but Mario had 168pts including 70 goals in 77 games that year officially earning him the Super Mario nickname. While more common, can you name all the times a player has accomplished the unusual feat of winning the Hart Trophy and the Stanley Cup in the same year (post 67)? It's only been accomplished 9 times by 6 different players.

Good question, although my original question still has 2 goalies unsolved...

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

As for your question, offhand guesses:

1. Wayne Goddamn Gretz-goddamn-ky
2. Mark Messier
3. Sidney Crosby
4. Did Mario do it in the 90's Cups?
5. Martin St Louis

I think I'm missing one...

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Ah shoot sorry I thought you meant one question per person at a time. I'll remove it for now.

Eh it's OK, leave it up, as long as things don't get crazy it's cool.

So to get everyone focused, there are 2 more goalies for the original question re: 40 shutouts having played a game for 5 different franchises.

And then the 6 players who have won a Cup and a Hart in the same season is the second question.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

Bobby Orr
Guy Lafleur

I am trying to think of two other goalies, and it's hard: Barrasso and Thibault?

e: lol just looked these two guys up and I was so close. Barrasso had 38 SOs and Thibault had 39.

Hmmm... actually hockeydb has Barrasso at 40! I thought I read he had 38 as well. If that's accurate, you got an 8th goalie.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

fawning deference posted:

Hmmm... actually hockeydb has Barrasso at 40! I thought I read he had 38 as well. If that's accurate, you got an 8th goalie.

You are correct now with Barrasso.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

I'm going to just guess that Ben Bishop has accumulated 40 or more shutouts, I know he's played for 5 different franchises (STL, OTT, TB, LA, DAL)

Bishop has 33 shutouts.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Two more. I think one is halfway "of course this guy" but halfway tricky because it's hard to remember that he played for a fifth team.

The other one is active.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

Seems that in 89-90, HockeyDB recognizes Barrasso has having two shutouts, whereas H-R does not. NHL.com also doesn't recognize these 2 shutouts.

I wonder what the story is here.

Weird. If NHL doesn't recognize it, I suppose we can take him out, but gently caress it, let's leave him in cause Tommy ruled.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

the active guy is Mike Smith?.. I know he started in Dallas and then went to Tampa Bay and then Arizona, Calgary and finally Edmonton

If I'm wrong maybe I should be thinking of goaltenders who are good instead of goaltenders who played for 5 teams lol

Smith has 39!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

I am gonna guess Vokoun. He feels like he played for a bunch of teams. Unsure if he hit 40, or if he even had 5 teams.

I have no clue on the active player. I feel like Lehner hasn't hit 40 yet.

Vokoun is correct! He played 1 game for the Canadiens in his first year! The active one will come to you - it should. He's been underrated his whole career.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

I added it back and I actually missed Lafleur so I've edited it slightly.

1. Gretzky, of course. He won the Hart a record setting 9 times and the Cup four times. They overlapped three times in 83/84, 84/85 and 86/87. His most decorated year was 1984/85 winning the Art Ross, Hart, Pearson and being awarded the Conn Smythe trophy as playoff MVP.

2. Messier is correct. He did it in 89/90 when he led the Gretzkyless Oilers to a surprise Stanley Cup. Bill Ranford was the Conn Smythe winner for whatever reason.

3. Surprisingly Crosby has not done it. He's won two Hart trophies, two Conn Smythes and three cups. However none have overlapped. His Hart trophies came in 06/07 and 13/14 when they were eliminated in the first and second rounds respectively.

4. Mario also has not done it. Much like Sid he had a decorated career winning three Hart trophies and two Conn Smythes. However his two Conn Smythes came in 90/91 and 91/92 as he led the Pens to their first cups. He won the Art Ross each year but the Hart went to Hull and Messier those years.

5. Martin St. Louis did it and he remains the most recent individual to accomplish the feat in 03/04. He won the Art Ross and Pearson as well as he defeated the team that gave up on him four years prior in a thrilling game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Did Jagr, then? And hey, Lafleur!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Craig Anderson?

Nope.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sakic, that's right!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

This active goalie thing is really making me dig deep into the rolodex of my brain.

Is it someone dumb like Brian Elliott?

IT IS

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

Like I said in my edited post I never would have guessed Elliott was ever good enough to hit 40. But, he hit it exactly.

Hence me saying he's underrated. He's had a very fine career. Talk about underrated, Jaro Halak has 272 wins and 50 shutouts.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Nope, Jagr has only won the Hart once in 98/99. He won Stanley Cups each of his first two years in the league win the Penguins but was a secondary threat on both teams not breaking the ppg mark either year. His revelation as a world class player came in the lockout year where he finished with 70pts in 48 games.

So we've got:

1. Gretzky
2. Messier
3. St. Louis
4. Orr
5. Lafleur
6. Clarke
7. Sakic

I think that's it, right?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Since we have some people in the thread hanging, let's do a fun/maybe easy one.

Besides Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr, name the 14 players to hit 85 assists in a single season. This is more of a "let's see how fast this goes" than a hard one...

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Paul Coffey
3. Nikita Kucherov
4. Joe Thornton
5. Adam Oates
6. Jaromir Jagr
7. Ron Francis
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Pat LaFontaine
10. Bryan Trottier
11. Doug Gilmour

Also gently caress it, 2nd one too: Since 1990, only four goalies have amassed 40 losses in a single season. Name them.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 11, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

AsInHowe posted:

Yzerman, Coffey, Bourque, Kucherov, Thornton (with Cheechoo), Adam Oates (with Hull), Jagr, Ron Francis, Forsberg, Backstrom (with Ovechkin).

Backstrom did not hit 85 assists and neither did Bourque. Thornton did twice, not just with Cheechoo. 6 left.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

AsInHowe posted:

Pat LaFontaine (Mogilny), Trottier (Bossy), Doug Gilmour (in 1993)?

All correct. 3 left.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The goalie losses question should be interesting, it's not easy.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

tinstaach posted:

My first guess was someone from the Capitals' first season, but nope, Ron Low went 8-36-2 and two other goalies combined to go 0-31-3.

Haha jesus those records. The question is since 1990 - the record is Gary Smith's 48 in 1971. There have been 4 40-loss goalies since 1990 though, that's the era. And we still have 3 85-assist players to guess.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Dionne? Stastny? Esposito? Clarke?

Stastny and Clarke, yes!

There is one more to get!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Man the goaltenders must be from the 90's.. I can't see anyone getting 40 enough run to lose 40 games in the modern NHL. My first thought was Steve Mason but he never even got close to 40 losses lol

I have one for you fawning! (since your asking all the questions so far)

The lowest point total for any player to lead his team in scoring this year was 43 points by Adam Henrique for the Anaheim Ducks. That's pretty sad, although it did take place in a shortened season. Believe it or not over the previous 6 seasons (since the 2012-13 lockout abridged season) 43 points is not the lowest total for a player to lead their team - and those were full 82 game seasons!

My question is if you can name every instance of a player leading his team in scoring having registered less than 50 points in the last 6 full seasons. There are 9 such instances on record. If you can give the player and the team he did it for that's great, but I will accept just naming the players too :) The time period is from the start of the 2013-14 season to the end of the 2018-19 season.

some of them might be pretty easy to guess, others I would say even fans of the team in question may have wiped from their memory :D

If it's too difficult to do, I will happily give years and teams as hints :)

2 of the 40-loss goalies are from the 90's, 1 is from the 00's and 1 is from the 10's!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Man the goaltenders must be from the 90's.. I can't see anyone getting 40 enough run to lose 40 games in the modern NHL. My first thought was Steve Mason but he never even got close to 40 losses lol

I have one for you fawning! (since your asking all the questions so far)

The lowest point total for any player to lead his team in scoring this year was 43 points by Adam Henrique for the Anaheim Ducks. That's pretty sad, although it did take place in a shortened season. Believe it or not over the previous 6 seasons (since the 2012-13 lockout abridged season) 43 points is not the lowest total for a player to lead their team - and those were full 82 game seasons!

My question is if you can name every instance of a player leading his team in scoring having registered less than 50 points in the last 6 full seasons. There are 9 such instances on record. If you can give the player and the team he did it for that's great, but I will accept just naming the players too :) The time period is from the start of the 2013-14 season to the end of the 2018-19 season.

some of them might be pretty easy to guess, others I would say even fans of the team in question may have wiped from their memory :D

If it's too difficult to do, I will happily give years and teams as hints :)

Also this is a good question. I'm sure there are some Coyotes on this list!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I will guess Derek Stepan (very recent, hard to know the year but I'll guess 18-19) for Arizona? I'll also guess Nate MacKinnon in his rookie year for that poo poo Avalanche team?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

your logic is sound narrowing in on the Coyotes, but the name is wrong unfortunately.

And Colorado is one of the surprising teams that despite having some objectively awful clubs, never seemed to struggle for having a couple guys fill up the net. MacKinnon is incorrect :)

Ekman-Larsson?

I would guess Palmieri but he led with 50 even last year.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So we have:

ONE more player with an 85-assist season.

FOUR goalies with a 40-loss season post-1990.

EIGHT MORE instances of players who have led their team in scoring with less than 50 points in the last five years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Ekman Larsson is a correct answer!

T2. 2014-15 Arizona Coyotes - Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 43 points
T2.

I'm sure the Devils had someone. Like the 17-18 Devils were a nightmare. Also Buffalo pre-Eichel for sure. I just barely remember anyone from those teams.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

it is very possible :)

Did Elias lead that team?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

The Wild in the early part of the 2010s couldn't score at all, so maybe Mikko Koivu or Dany Heatley somewhere between 2011 and 2014?

Question is within the last 5 years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'll guess Dylan Larkin too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Oh the Panthers in 2013? 2014? Before Huberdeau and Barkov came along. So um Vince Trocheck?

Within 5 years

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Oh my bad then. Even harder of a question.

That Panthers team had Ekblad lead them in scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Devils had a player lead them and it wasn't Elias or Palmieri? I doubt it was Hischier since he had a 52 point rookie season.