Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Listening to My Sweet Lord (Remastered.) Enjoying it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

i pointed out in another thread i dont feel like the beatles are relevant anymore and dont hold up to their contemporaries. i wont cite any sources but i feel like its a good jumping off point

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MOOBS! posted:

i pointed out in another thread i dont feel like the beatles are relevant anymore and dont hold up to their contemporaries. i wont cite any sources but i feel like its a good jumping off point

whta contemporaries are better than the beatles, mate?

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

saint anime posted:

whta contemporaries are better than the beatles, mate?

ok i hate to admit this but the bands i was thinking of came after the beatles. i am completely the rear end in a top hat in this situation. i withdraw my past post and invite a probation for my stupid words.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

It blows me away that they lasted only 8 years as a band, but went through such major stylistic changes. I have a hard time coming up with another musician that's been as prolific, and musically diverse, while still remaining relevant; even ones that have been around for multiple decades don't have their genre breaking albums well regarded.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
This was a mod- givin name and I don't know anything about the Beetles except for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. And John Lennon got shot cuz some crazy kid and then the books got banned.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MOOBS! posted:

ok i hate to admit this but the bands i was thinking of came after the beatles. i am completely the rear end in a top hat in this situation. i withdraw my past post and invite a probation for my stupid words.

dude no big deal. who were you thinking of, just curious

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

killer crane posted:

It blows me away that they lasted only 8 years as a band, but went through such major stylistic changes. I have a hard time coming up with another musician that's been as prolific, and musically diverse, while still remaining relevant; even ones that have been around for multiple decades don't have their genre breaking albums well regarded.

yep. think im in agreement with this. you can point to influences on the beatles, like beach boys, but you cant realy say that they surpass the influence the beatles had.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i wanna hold your hand the movie was pretty good, a nice look at beatles hysteria

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think I'm way off but The Sweets 'Oxygen' is a cool song. I didn't even know they did the 'ballroom blitz' at the time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have only ever listened to Sgt Pepper, but I listened to it a lot

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

the beatles - Amnesiac posted:

I think I'm way off but The Sweets 'Oxygen' is a cool song. I didn't even know they did the 'ballroom blitz' at the time.

how old are you lol

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

I have only ever listened to Sgt Pepper, but I listened to it a lot

try magical mystery tour or revolver :cheers:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the film Yellow Submarine is the reason I'm not a fascist today

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

saint anime posted:

dude no big deal. who were you thinking of, just curious

was mostly thinking of velvet underground but beatles seem to be an influence so i need to chill out on that

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MOOBS! posted:

was mostly thinking of velvet underground but beatles seem to be an influence so i need to chill out on that

ah yeah and they kind of loving suck dick anyways

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

saint anime posted:

that ain;t even the loving beatles man

topic over

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

saint anime posted:

ah yeah and they kind of loving suck dick anyways

yeah honestly the more you talk about it i feel like i hosed up. i dont love the beatles but still i am def wrong. i hate this

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I like Golden Slumbers a lot. Ben Folds cover is nice, too.

Nick Cave's cover of Hey Jude sounds like someone doing bad karaoke. His voice is too on top of the mix or something but it's got Will Ferrell as Robert Goulet vibes.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

that ain;t even the loving beatles man

topic over

bro....cmon now lol. we dont need a bunch of boomer rear end pedantic fun suckers in the beatles thread

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MOOBS! posted:

yeah honestly the more you talk about it i feel like i hosed up. i dont love the beatles but still i am def wrong. i hate this

its not that serious man. if you like the velvet underground thats fine lol. i like femme fatale

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

saint anime posted:

it’s one of the reasons George is my favorite. I dig his more thoughtful work, and also respect his being pretty drat good at the guitar. Paul isn’t bad, imo, but distinctly hit-or-miss, and it seems like John Lennon’s good songs and his best-known songs are two very different lists without much overlap

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

saint anime posted:

its not that serious man. if you like the velvet underground thats fine lol. i like femme fatale

thank you. you are a sweet person and a gracious poster

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

MOOBS! posted:

its not like other bands came and replaced the beatles and made more sophisticated songs in a similar style. its crazy how wrong you are, the beatles are singular in their quality. Velvet Underground? They're good but the dude is extremely limited.

there aren't many bands in history that had such a diverse array of straight up killer tunes than the beatles, especially over such a short period of time.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SatansOnion posted:

it’s one of the reasons George is my favorite. I dig his more thoughtful work, and also respect his being pretty drat good at the guitar. Paul isn’t bad, imo, but distinctly hit-or-miss, and it seems like John Lennon’s good songs and his best-known songs are two very different lists without much overlap

took me awhile to be able ot tell George's voice from Johns, but once i Looked up all the vocal leads by George i realized he might be my favorite. i thought most of them were John the whole time lol (taxman, do you want to know a secret, blue jay way, happy just to dance with you) but i guess its hard to put him over paul or lennon because he just has a lot less songs, but his are strong overall

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MOOBS! posted:

thank you. you are a sweet person and a gracious poster

its okay. i was wrong before. Let It Be used to be my favorite album

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I bought a bass recently and I've been learning a lot of McCartney bass lines and its crazy how melodic his lines are while still complimenting the song as a whole, its really impressive and I never appreciated it before.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

its not like other bands came and replaced the beatles and made more sophisticated songs in a similar style. its crazy how wrong you are, the beatles are singular in their quality. Velvet Underground? They're good but the dude is extremely limited.

there aren't many bands in history that had such a diverse array of straight up killer tunes than the beatles, especially over such a short period of time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you haven't seen this or you don't "get" the beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc

Just watch it. Not only will you learn a lot about music, you will also understand why The Beatles are still so highly regarded.

Hint: it's because they are still far ahead of most bands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This isn't mentioned in that video, but just think of all the great songwriters different bans have had. And how if a band has a truly great songwriter they usually are pretty good. Well the Beatles had 2 of the best ever. No other band had more than 1 great one. Like, if you were to come up with the top 5 ever, Paul and John are probably in there. It is hard to argue that Paul isn't #1 of all time. That's all opinion and taste but you'll have a very hard time finding someone that a lot of people agree is better.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

This isn't mentioned in that video, but just think of all the great songwriters different bans have had. And how if a band has a truly great songwriter they usually are pretty good. Well the Beatles had 2 of the best ever. No other band had more than 1 great one. Like, if you were to come up with the top 5 ever, Paul and John are probably in there. It is hard to argue that Paul isn't #1 of all time. That's all opinion and taste but you'll have a very hard time finding someone that a lot of people agree is better.

ya was trying to figure out who might even top any of the beatles for best song writers so i googled to try to get some ideas and its not even loving closeeee

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Producer George Martin was also incredibly important to the way the Beatles sound on their albums, he definitely needs more credit as a contributor to the band's overall quality of their output.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Producer George Martin was also incredibly important to the way the Beatles sound on their albums, he definitely needs more credit as a contributor to the band's overall quality of their output.

i mean hes known as the 5th beatle mate. lot of credit

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
I like weird al

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

GAYIDS posted:

I like weird al

You too? :hf: I think he has a great ear for pastiche and decent songwriting talent to accompany it, and his band is consistently underrated imo

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
yea its pretty good how hes always been funny and stayed clean. props lol

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

saint anime posted:

how old are you lol

30. I like Depeche Mode too if anyone needs something else to make fun of!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SatansOnion posted:

You too? :hf: I think he has a great ear for pastiche and decent songwriting talent to accompany it, and his band is consistently underrated imo

Yep. Weird Al is legit good.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Saw Coolio opening at an ICP show in 2011ish on the Happy Daze tour. He was throwing all his clothes into the crowd, then did Gangsta Paradise with just his crazy hair and a sock, maybe some boxers. Wild mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
never heard of em