Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
bugs are cool i guess though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

R.L. Stine posted:

bugs are cool i guess though

beatles arent bugs though man

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

the beatles - Amnesiac posted:

Saw Coolio opening at an ICP show in 2011ish on the Happy Daze tour. He was throwing all his clothes into the crowd, then did Gangsta Paradise with just his crazy hair and a sock, maybe some boxers. Wild mess.

It's gotta be pretty odd being almost 60 and singing Gangsta Paradise unless he's drastically changed the words up... "I'm 57 now, will I see 58? The way things are going, yea probably..."

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
that bunch of poo poo on side 2 of Abbey Road is so loving good. i mean come on

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

MOOBS! posted:

beatles arent bugs though man

are ants bugs

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

R.L. Stine posted:

are ants bugs

Nowhere man

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
In My Life is the most overlooked stone classic in their catalog

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don't listen to them. Their impact on music is important regardless of whether you listen to or even like them or not. Trying to create reasons why they are good or bad in 2020 is pretty stupid.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

White Album's got a lot of gimmick songs that lose their novelty after a few plays and I don't see why that one has so much reverence among Beatles fans. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is amazing but it's in the same album as songs like Rocky Raccoon.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

White Album's got a lot of gimmick songs that lose their novelty after a few plays and I don't see why that one has so much reverence among Beatles fans. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is amazing but it's in the same album as songs like Rocky Raccoon.

Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Blackbird, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Ob-La-Di Oh-Bla-Da are all really good

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
That remix album that mixed The White Album with Jay-Z's The Black Album was pretty fun, I listened to it a lot when I was a teenager.

The Beatles are good. Has anyone read Tune In?

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Blackbird, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Ob-La-Di Oh-Bla-Da are all really good

i find a lot of those songs really loving annoying lol.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Liker posted:

I don't listen to them. Their impact on music is important regardless of whether you listen to or even like them or not. Trying to create reasons why they are good or bad in 2020 is pretty stupid.

maybe people just like to talk about things on the forum lol. really cool answer though and im sure youre getting pussy as we speak

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

hey wait a good beetles song is maxwells silver hammer. that poo poo is a trip now adays

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
rocky raccoon owns bones and I’m gonna put forth that it is the best Beatles song not put out by the Rutles

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

saint anime posted:

i find a lot of those songs really loving annoying lol.

The best thing about the white album is that everyone agrees that half of the album is great and the other half is gimmicky filler but nobody can ever decide on which songs make each category.

Despite the fact that it's a megaselling album from the biggest band ever listening to it still feels like a somewhat intimate experience, like you're stumbling on all these deep cuts and hidden gems that that aren't as well-known in the public consciousness which makes it easier to take ownership of them. Feels like every time I spin that album I come out of it with a new fav song.

Les Os posted:

rocky raccoon owns bones and I’m gonna put forth that it is the best Beatles song not put out by the Rutles

Case in point, this was one of the first beatles songs I liked as a kid after my friend did a lip sync to it at the school talent show when we were 10 years old. He was sandwiched in between a bunch of girls doing choreographed dances to trashy 90s hits and just came out in a cowboy hat and started doing this weird interpretive jig to some bizarre pseudo-Western tune.

As it's not a song that gets a lot of plays or love in general it took me years to track down and identify it again, and I distinctly remember having a huge 'oh poo poo' moment the first time I listened to the white album and finally heard it in context. For most people RR is one of the most forgettable tracks on the album but for me it'll always be a powerful nostalgic reminder of my old childhood friend.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 12, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

beer gas canister posted:

In My Life is the most overlooked stone classic in their catalog

Easily one of their best and it's the only song that Lennon and McCartney couldn't agree on who wrote it, I guess it owns so hard they both want that credit.

I Want You (She's so Heavy) is the genesis of metal.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Rolling Stones were better :grin:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Sticky Fingers and Exile pretty much make this case, but then everything they released after 1981 fucks it up.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

The worst band in history

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Szyznyk posted:

Sticky Fingers and Exile pretty much make this case, but then everything they released after 1981 fucks it up.

Stones were truly great four like a 4 year period between 68-72. Everything before is about par for the course of most other popular rock at the time, and everything after is fairly to extremely derivative. I always liked them more than the Beatles though

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

killer crane posted:

It blows me away that they lasted only 8 years as a band, but went through such major stylistic changes. I have a hard time coming up with another musician that's been as prolific, and musically diverse, while still remaining relevant; even ones that have been around for multiple decades don't have their genre breaking albums well regarded.

David Bowie, Parliament/Funkadelic maybe. I'm blanking

Schlong Connery fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 12, 2020

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Waltzing Along posted:

This isn't mentioned in that video, but just think of all the great songwriters different bans have had. And how if a band has a truly great songwriter they usually are pretty good. Well the Beatles had 2 of the best ever. No other band had more than 1 great one. Like, if you were to come up with the top 5 ever, Paul and John are probably in there. It is hard to argue that Paul isn't #1 of all time. That's all opinion and taste but you'll have a very hard time finding someone that a lot of people agree is better.

Burt Bacharach, Smokey Robinson, that trio of Motown guys, Stevie Wonder, Bowie again, Bob Dylan, Carol King. honestly there's not a lot and I don't think I can make a super solid case that any of those are necessarily better.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I have a daughter who is a year and a half old, so we've been watching a show on Netflix called Beat Bugs.

It is an animated children's cartoon where each 12-minute episode is structured around a Beatles song. The plot is generally a thin excuse for a reason for the bugs to sing Beatles songs. It is super weird and kinda fun.

For example, in one episode the main character bugs are trying to help the littlest one fall asleep, who is having trouble with it. So they discuss that they'll go visit another bug named Lucy, the bug with kaleidoscope eyes, a glittery dragonfly who can help her get to sleep. In the course of this they sing the song, of course. The weird descriptions in the song is presented as like telling a story of imagination kinda deal. Singer P!nk performed as Lucy's singing voice.

They have a stage built out of pennies they call Penny Lane, there's a strawberry field nearby, there's a big octopus sprinkler in the garden behind the big human's house... So, yeah, super weird.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 12, 2020

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do not troll this thread lol

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HJE-Cobra posted:

I have a daughter who is a year and a half old, so we've been watching a show on Netflix called Beat Bugs.

It is an animated children's cartoon where each 12-minute episode is structured around a Beatles song. The plot is generally a thin excuse for a reason for the bugs to sing Beatles songs. It is super weird and kinda fun.

For example, in one episode the main character bugs are trying to help the littlest one fall asleep, who is having trouble with it. So they discuss that they'll go visit another bug named Lucy, the bug with kaleidoscope eyes, a glittery dragonfly who can help her get to sleep. In the course of this they sing the song, of course. The weird descriptions in the song is presented as like telling a story of imagination kinda deal. Singer P!nk performed as Lucy's singing voice.

They have a stage built out of pennies they call Penny Lane, there's a strawberry field nearby, there's a big octopus sprinkler in the garden behind the big human's house... So, yeah, super weird.

lol ill check it out thanks

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

pablo gbscobar posted:

The best thing about the white album is that everyone agrees that half of the album is great and the other half is gimmicky filler but nobody can ever decide on which songs make each category.

Despite the fact that it's a megaselling album from the biggest band ever listening to it still feels like a somewhat intimate experience, like you're stumbling on all these deep cuts and hidden gems that that aren't as well-known in the public consciousness which makes it easier to take ownership of them. Feels like every time I spin that album I come out of it with a new fav song.

Case in point, this was one of the first beatles songs I liked as a kid after my friend did a lip sync to it at the school talent show when we were 10 years old. He was sandwiched in between a bunch of girls doing choreographed dances to trashy 90s hits and just came out in a cowboy hat and started doing this weird interpretive jig to some bizarre pseudo-Western tune.

As it's not a song that gets a lot of plays or love in general it took me years to track down and identify it again, and I distinctly remember having a huge 'oh poo poo' moment the first time I listened to the white album and finally heard it in context. For most people RR is one of the most forgettable tracks on the album but for me it'll always be a powerful nostalgic reminder of my old childhood friend.

this is a great post all around

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Szyznyk posted:

pffffffffffffft by the time these came out the beatles had already released all their albums lol

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

saint anime posted:

lol ill check it out thanks

I mean it's a show for tiny children, I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't have a toddler. Kinda neat way to introduce kids to Beatles though.

Some songs get verses or lines trimmed out, though. When I'm 64 has a line about receiving a bottle of wine that the bugs don't sing, for example.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HJE-Cobra posted:

I mean it's a show for tiny children, I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't have a toddler. Kinda neat way to introduce kids to Beatles though.

Some songs get verses or lines trimmed out, though. When I'm 64 has a line about receiving a bottle of wine that the bugs don't sing, for example.

i have 2 kids dude lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Beatles are fine but kind of weaksauce for my taste. The best thing about them is Beatallica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBuz3ezWjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5DKcrDDyCo

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

saint anime posted:

i have 2 kids dude lol

Oh, lol, well then have fun!

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I recently watched a documentary on Harry Nilsson, and they were talking about the time he and John Lennon got thrown out of a Smothers Brothers concert for heckling. Then I wondered if the guy who shot John Lennon was just a big Smothers Brothers fan. Also judging by the documentary it looks like the Beatles were a really bad influence on Nilsson. Nilsson and Lennon would have competitions to see who could gently caress up their voice by screaming the longest. Ringo seemed like a fun guy though.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
Yay I love The Beatles! My parents listened to them all the time when I was a kid and I didn't really feel one way or another about them then, but then I rediscovered their music in early high school and became a bit obsessed. George is my favorite, I was really sad when he died :(

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
When u a buy a whole rear end Rickenbacker just to play the wrong chords to Michelle

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

beer gas canister posted:

When u a buy a whole rear end Rickenbacker just to play the wrong chords to Michelle

My belle, (the rick)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I discovered the Beatles by accident via the game Earthbound, a game which fundamentally helped shape my musical tastes if not me as a person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_oc9Ypcb2Q

Listening to the Beatles as a teenager after having played Earthbound as an 11-12 year old came with a kind of pre-installed sense of nostalgia that allowed me to connect with them in a way that I think was absent from the vast majority of people my age, who nowadays seem to be mostly in a rush to tell you why the Beatles are Bad, Actually, and Were Never Good whenever they come up

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
It's me, the guy who can't wait to bring up how John Lennon beat his wife and child. What a hypocrite, am I right?

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Schlong Connery posted:

It's me, the guy who can't wait to bring up how John Lennon beat his wife and child. What a hypocrite, am I right?

He's dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It’s much too late for goodbye.