Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I only really got into the Beatles much later in life and I still don't own any of their albums but they were pretty well documented by the people around them- Geoff Emerick's book about engineering them is pretty good because it gives you an understanding of how the music was made despite heavy limitations. It made me feel bad that I grew up thinking a four-track cassette recorder was inadequate.

I remember back in the 90s when my dad started rifling through my CD collection looking for Green Day and Alice in Chains because he realized he'd been listening to the Beatles all his life and was bored of them. Unfortunately for him, I was going through a heavy Einsturzenden Neubauten & Big Black phase so he wound up borrowing and then returning a bunch of music that was screaming Germans beating on sheet metal or Steve Albini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Dixville posted:

Found this interesting video about the Beatles and music theory. This guy has some other videos analyzing the music theory behind Beatles songs but I thought this was the most interesting with some clips from interviews with them talking about the song writing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmjRM3AziTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jm-P2OpfrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnct7Qf3SUQ

Just listen to the Stones version, it sounds awful.

The Beatles totally knew their stuff and even if they didnt George Martin had legit classical background.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive heard the stones kinda sucked live, especially in their late 60s/early 70s heyday.

all those extra guitar tracks on Sticky Fingers tho, they definitely were suited for the studio

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
While my guitar gently weeps is pretty dope

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

20 Blunts posted:

ive heard the stones kinda sucked live, especially in their late 60s/early 70s heyday.

all those extra guitar tracks on Sticky Fingers tho, they definitely were suited for the studio

I only have 75 year old micks live performance to go on but it was insanely good for anyone let along a septugenarian. He has more showmanship in his pinky finger than 30 billboard number ones put together.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

What’s the best Beatles Podcast? The „Screw it“ one is a little too basic for my taste, I can deal with more nerdiness.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Rolling Stones are insanely bad, not even overrated, just bad. They unironically suck.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The only Beatles podcast I listen to regularly is I Am The Eggpod, which is a British guy sitting down to discuss a Beatle record with a guest, usually someone from the entertainment industry. Every episode focuses on one album only, and there’s a new guest each episode so the conversations never get stale. As a sampler I would recommend listening to episode 31 with Mark Lewisohn where they discuss the Star-Club tapes, the bootleg recording from one of the last Hamburg shows.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

The only Beatles podcast I listen to regularly is I Am The Eggpod, which is a British guy sitting down to discuss a Beatle record with a guest, usually someone from the entertainment industry. Every episode focuses on one album only, and there’s a new guest each episode so the conversations never get stale. As a sampler I would recommend listening to episode 31 with Mark Lewisohn where they discuss the Star-Club tapes, the bootleg recording from one of the last Hamburg shows.

This owns, thanks!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the only good stones are brian jones and mick taylor

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

AHH F/UGH posted:

The Rolling Stones are insanely bad, not even overrated, just bad. They unironically suck.

Gonna have to disagree with this. Sticky Fingers is a classic album

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

20 Blunts posted:

Saw them in the Cotton Bowl in the early eighties and it was pretty lame. They just could not seem to play together, like they were all a little out of phase with each other. We noped out after a couple of songs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I saw the Stones at the Oakland Coliseum in ‘89 or ‘90 - whenever the Steel Wheels tour was, and it was the worst live show I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen hundreds of them. lovely, muddy sound, Jagger sung like he didn’t give a poo poo, everything was in a faster tempo that felt like the band just wanted to get it over with, rather than full of energy.

I swore I’d never go to another stadium show and I never have since then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've been to a couple of Stadium shows and they were good. The best was Santana at Mohegan Sun back in... '08? He played for hours. Dude just didn't stop. It was impressive, but also annoying to be surrounded by older people who didn't want to dance.

Anyway, the Stones v Beatles argument is a bad one since the bands are very different. Considering their melodies and pop sensibilities the singer-songwriters of the '70's are a better comparison, even if they're direct offspring of the Beatles and perhaps their only true comparable contemporaries are the Kinks, but it's pretty clear why that doesn't work either.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mick Taylor was the best Stone, and his solo on the track "Time Waits for No One" is one of my favorite things.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
You cant compare old bands to new bands (recorded works)

Theres at least minimum 20 years from whenever is now, and Bands before that are too much of an influence and rating musicianship is always stupid.

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 1, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm biased as someone who generally loves the Stones but seeing them in the 80s would have been by far the worst possible time to see them. You were either seeing a band breaking up as they fail to find relevance into the new decade or a band that just regrouped and is trying to find their footing as a 'legacy' kind of band.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

That's the worst thing I've ever heard

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I saw The Roots live when they came here. Pretty good show but the 25-minute version of Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" literally had me falling asleep where I was standing.

And yeah I mentioned many times that the Rolling Stones are garbage live, playing faster to get it over with is a great way of putting it. Mick Jagger is barely above David Lee Roth in terms of being a complete dogshit live singer who can't sing or stay on time. Sammy Hagar in Van Halen on the other hand, loving kicks rear end live.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 1, 2021

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
https://twitter.com/paulmccartney/status/1374030366336499712?s=21

Unironically looking forward to this

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII
Have a pic from inside the Abbey Road studio grounds..

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Beatles should have gotten into MMA

They could have made friends with Jackie Chan but they were probably too racist

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Have another I’ve just found.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If the beatles were a blue mana crab I got out in the river netting they wouldnt have been a good ones

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry White posted:

Have a pic from inside the Abbey Road studio grounds..

I guess too many ppl walk into Abby road studios and assume, welp, I guess I can throw my trash on the floor now. :shrug:

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I guess too many ppl walk into Abby road studios and assume, welp, I guess I can throw my trash on the floor now. :shrug:

You’d be surprised what orchestras get up to with a paid bar

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Halloween Liker posted:

Beatles should have gotten into MMA

They could have made friends with Jackie Chan but they were probably too racist

I mean everywhere was probably pretty racist in the 60's but they refused to play in front of segregated audiences in the States and thought Jim Crow was absurd so :shrug:

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if the Beatles all got shot at the same time Lennon did

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Liker posted:

Imagine if the Beatles all got shot at the same time Lennon did

Just need to take a time out to say I'm proud of this, its funny as hell.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
bum[p

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

drat; I saw this thread pop up in my control panel and thought that there must be a new Beatles track just released.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking about bumping this thread up the other day, since someone did it already I'll ask: Was I imagining things, or was there some George Harrison hatin' going on a few pages back? Dissing his solos and stuff.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking about bumping this thread up the other day, since someone did it already I'll ask: Was I imagining things, or was there some George Harrison hatin' going on a few pages back? Dissing his solos and stuff.

They were talking about his turdy solo on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGczv7iiEk

edit: Also All Things Must Pass is overrated and his Indian Krishna stuff on the Beatles albums is completely skippable, as are all of his tracks on The White Album except While My Guitar Gently Weeps

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 8, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AHH F/UGH posted:

They were talking about his turdy solo on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGczv7iiEk

edit: Also All Things Must Pass is overrated and his Indian Krishna stuff on the Beatles albums is completely skippable, as are all of his tracks on The White Album except While My Guitar Gently Weeps

:nsamad:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've actually come to a different conclusion regarding George. I think I'm starting to really cool on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" mainly because of the incredibly lovely Clapton solo. The drum and bass work is excellent on the song but I think I prefer the acoustic version on the Anthology to the point if it's not that I don't want to listen to it.

His other stuff is still good and his Indian-derived songs are very cool.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Thank god the Beatles found drugs because that I Wanna Hold Your Hand poo poo was dire.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to think that and then I listened to the mono cuts turned up loud and they are really good, actually.

I'll give you the chorus of that song is not great but the verses are amazing.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Thank god the Beatles found drugs because that I Wanna Hold Your Hand poo poo was dire.

It was the straight outta Compton of its day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I actually enjoy the song, but most of that era isn't the best and I can only do it in bits.