Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Greg Vanney to the Galaxy confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The butt of the scuttle is that instead of asking players to make any more salary-related concessions after what happened last year, the owners apparently used the "Force Majeure But Not Really A Force Majeure Clause" to extend the CBA by one year to give the teams a bit of extra time to recover financially from last year.

That sounds entirely too reasonable so I'm sure that's not at all what will happen.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Super great

lol Miami

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

In rebranding news:

*Chicago is doing the cool thing and soliciting ideas from supporters on their new crest that will come out next year after it turns out pretty much everyone hated their current design.
*Montreal is doing the lame thing and still going ahead with their rebrand, unveiling it next Thursday. I expect it to be even more :geno: than Charlotte's and go over about as well as Chicago's.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like that Montreal's is going to be something both really generic/low-effort AND something the fans really don't want.

But know Joey Saputo he'll probably think it's loving genius.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It just dawned on me - there are MLS players who were born after the Fusion and Mutiny folded.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

It just dawned on me - there are MLS players who were born after the Fusion and Mutiny folded.
There's a player on the books for Orange County in the USL who was born a full 16 months after Chivas USA and RSL joined the league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You two keep forgetting to use :corsair:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

You two keep forgetting to use :corsair:
I used to work in education. As a result, I've felt old since I was barely old enough to drink.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

well, at least it's not ben olsen

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

They forgot to add "Merde"

https://twitter.com/clubdefootmtl/status/1349752944070160385

At least they (barely) kept the Fleur de Lys.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

it's a butthole

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

A team owned by Joey Saputo having a snowflake as their logo is a little too on the nose.

Also from my rusty French it looks like most of the local response amounts to "gently caress you this sucks".

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 14, 2021

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Soon every MLS team will rebrand as Cityname FC with a bland "european style" crest and it won't matter who you support because everyone is the same.

Except the revs, who will keep the crayon scribble flag forever.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Nostradingus posted:

Soon every MLS team will rebrand as Cityname FC with a bland "european style" crest and it won't matter who you support because everyone is the same.

drat right!!!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

I'm pretty sure the Cascadia trio will keep their names forever. Wasn't The Don going to try to force Seattle to go with a different name when they joined in 2009 and pretty much the entire city had to tell him to go eat a pile of poo poo before he relented? I know he tried something similar with Minnesota.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 14, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not sure if Garber had anything to do with it, but the fan vote on the name had the following options:

Seattle Alliance
Seattle Republic
Seattle FC
Write-In

"Sounders" got 49% of the vote and won. Hate the team all you want (which basically all of you do), but the fans chose wisely in this case.

Source

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I remember that part of it too. Pro tip: If you don't want the team named a certain thing, never give people the Write-In option.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Azerban posted:

it's a butthole

Club de Goatse

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

it's a butthole
Atletico Buttholé

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Juventanus

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deportivo Colon

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Rectal Madrid

<Québécois>

TABARNAK DE CALISS D'OSTIE DE VIARGE DE GOGOSSE DE FOCUS GROUPE DE CRISS DE MARDE DE CROSSAGE DE CONSULTANT MARKETING À CHIER

</Québécois>

Not a single ounce of asking for our fan opinion, eh? The logo is boring but serviceable, but jériboire is that the most generic name possible.

Go Équipe de pied Montréal, I guess.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

For shits and giggles I went down a WikiPedia hole reading about NASL 1.0 last night and the story about why the first major pro Montreal soccer team didn't last until the bitter end is kind of funny. After "Le Manic" drew close to 25,000 a game for their first two seasons, the corporate owners at Molson got the bright loving idea that they needed to retool the team as a sort of "Team Canada" because they didn't like having a team that was so Franco-centric.

In Montreal. In the heart of Quebec.

So yeah attendance dropped by two-thirds the next season and the team went tits up the end.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
So, what you're saying is, making the name super-French is a good idea?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

"Super French" would be a better name than "CF Montreal".

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Tabarnak de Montreal

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Tabarnak de Montreal
Beaucoup Québécois en Tabarnak CF

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
feels weird that Austin have like, players and stuff

also lol that everyone hates us arleady

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Not a single ounce of asking for our fan opinion, eh?

Go the Chicago Fire route and just keep calling it poo poo until the owner says "our bad"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Go the Chicago Fire route and just keep calling it poo poo until the owner says "our bad"
Actually "Merde CF" does have a nice ring to it.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

whypick1 posted:

e pluribus anus

Reek posted:

feels weird that Austin have like, players and stuff

also lol that everyone hates us arleady

gently caress you

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
club de foot

club
de
foot

CLUB DE FOOT

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

paddyboat posted:

club de foot

club
de
foot

CLUB DE FOOT

Considering our last season results, having a literal clubfoot might not be actually worse!

The "CF Montreal" Facebook page comments are pretty spicy right now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Sorry to ruin everyone's fun, but looks like DC have their new coach https://twitter.com/koenfrans/status/1350834869736247298?s=19, and if any of you anticipated this pick when Olsen was fired you are most certainly lying.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Miami hired Phil Neville as their new coach (previously manager of the England Women's National Team and former teammate of Beckham's), Chris Henderson as their sporting director (previously had the same role in Seattle).

Between this and Jordan Morris most likely heading to Swansea for 6 months, I'm not feeling great about next season. :smith:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

whypick1 posted:

Miami hired Phil Neville as their new coach (previously manager of the England Women's National Team and former teammate of Beckham's), Chris Henderson as their sporting director (previously had the same role in Seattle).

Between this and Jordan Morris most likely heading to Swansea for 6 months, I'm not feeling great about next season. :smith:

Chris has almost left at least two other times in recent years, so hopefully Garth has had enough time to put together some succession options.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

well, i'd like to see how seattle are going to make the playoffs this time! *seattle make the playoffs easily* ah! well. nevertheless,

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

well, i'd like to see how seattle are going to make the playoffs this time!

I for one never wonder if or how this will happen in any given year whatever dumb offseason poo poo happens to the Sounders, I just feel it in my bones like the approach of winter or death.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/PhilaUnion/status/1351590735938777093

Nashville wut r u doin