Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MLS 20/21 Offseason: Austin FC is now officially an active MLS club!

gently caress EM!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Their sporting director also left last week.

:tif:
How do you even judge a manager and technical director on a season as hosed up as this one, let alone a pair of guys who were managing a team starting from scratch?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a conversion rate on GARBER$ to US$

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Much like Bitcoin, that information is proprietary.
So, does this mean I could use a computer to mine GAM or TAM for my favorite Major League Soccer team

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleBeckerman/status/1341097512250167296

Dude played in 498 games. Probably deserved a yellow in all of them too.
He played for the Miami Fusion, who ceased operations in 200-and-loving-1.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The butt of the scuttle is that instead of asking players to make any more salary-related concessions after what happened last year, the owners apparently used the "Force Majeure But Not Really A Force Majeure Clause" to extend the CBA by one year to give the teams a bit of extra time to recover financially from last year.

That sounds entirely too reasonable so I'm sure that's not at all what will happen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like that Montreal's is going to be something both really generic/low-effort AND something the fans really don't want.

But know Joey Saputo he'll probably think it's loving genius.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

It just dawned on me - there are MLS players who were born after the Fusion and Mutiny folded.
There's a player on the books for Orange County in the USL who was born a full 16 months after Chivas USA and RSL joined the league.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

You two keep forgetting to use :corsair:
I used to work in education. As a result, I've felt old since I was barely old enough to drink.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

They forgot to add "Merde"

https://twitter.com/clubdefootmtl/status/1349752944070160385

At least they (barely) kept the Fleur de Lys.
A team owned by Joey Saputo having a snowflake as their logo is a little too on the nose.

Also from my rusty French it looks like most of the local response amounts to "gently caress you this sucks".

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 14, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Soon every MLS team will rebrand as Cityname FC with a bland "european style" crest and it won't matter who you support because everyone is the same.

Except the revs, who will keep the crayon scribble flag forever.
I'm pretty sure the Cascadia trio will keep their names forever. Wasn't The Don going to try to force Seattle to go with a different name when they joined in 2009 and pretty much the entire city had to tell him to go eat a pile of poo poo before he relented? I know he tried something similar with Minnesota.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 14, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I remember that part of it too. Pro tip: If you don't want the team named a certain thing, never give people the Write-In option.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

it's a butthole
Atletico Buttholé

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deportivo Colon

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

For shits and giggles I went down a WikiPedia hole reading about NASL 1.0 last night and the story about why the first major pro Montreal soccer team didn't last until the bitter end is kind of funny. After "Le Manic" drew close to 25,000 a game for their first two seasons, the corporate owners at Molson got the bright loving idea that they needed to retool the team as a sort of "Team Canada" because they didn't like having a team that was so Franco-centric.

In Montreal. In the heart of Quebec.

So yeah attendance dropped by two-thirds the next season and the team went tits up the end.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Tabarnak de Montreal
Beaucoup Québécois en Tabarnak CF

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Go the Chicago Fire route and just keep calling it poo poo until the owner says "our bad"
Actually "Merde CF" does have a nice ring to it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

paddyboat posted:

Round 3 update ftw

Kyle Beckerman's long-lost, cooler son.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Good news people who hate how quickly the league is expanding:

https://twitter.com/MLS_PR/status/1365464030765330439
Actually that sucks because apparently Ron Burkle's just a chickenshit using Covid19 as cover to back out of Sacramento. I mean, the guy was able to gently caress around and buy things like Neverland Ranch for cash just a couple of months ago and there's nothing indicating that his net worth has taken a sudden nose-dive.

He's not looking to offload his stake in the Pittsburgh Penguins either, and the NHL was just as hard-hit by Covid as all the other sports leagues.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 27, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Someone did a racism at the US Soccer National Council and got removed from membership as a result.
And it was a member of the US Paralympic Team who was elected to the council because other members of the PNT vouched for him. OOPS!!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Popero posted:

I think former Revolution keeper Adin Brown was a Christian scientist and rejected modern medicine or something.
If he is indeed a Christian Scientist then yes that is absolutely what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This has to be something extremely offline and personal between the two. There is no way someone, even a man as incredibly smoothbrained as Jozy Altidore would want to have a conversation about terrible American pundits and institutional racism and think "ah yes Taylor Twellman is the posterboy for this problem" meanwhile Alexi Lalas scowls around the background talking about how women don't deserve pay because they aren't any good and how kneeling athletes are ruining America.

Jozy is as bad a poster as he is a footballer.
I think the difference might literally be volume. Alexi is a smarmy dickhead. Taylor, perhaps because of all those concussions, gratuitously yells about things.