Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG Keep The Pee Out of Our Pool! 3/27/04:

Colt Cabana and Adam Pearce are feuding with a black guy, so they dressed like this:

---

"He put me in a hold he called the bling bling dream or some gay black stupid crap like that." - Adam Pearce, while doing an ebonics type promo with Colt Cabana

---

"And Charles Murphy, he just looks like half a <r word for mentally challenged people> at this point" - Disco

"I'd say he looks like a whole <r word for mentally challenged people>. Let's not mince words." - Excalibur

"I'm slapping him like a <r word for mentally challenged people>." - Disco

"because you know as you know <r word for mentally challenged people> people need encouragement." -Excalibur

---

"You know who is the worst? The Puerto Ricans! They're terrible! And you know, almost as bad, the Irish. The Irish and the Puerto Ricans. You know if I had my way I would give them some little island off y'know far away from here and they could just go live there" - Excalibur

"They are far away on their own little islands" - Disco

"incredible" - Excalibur

"Your dream has come true" - Disco

"Wow, all I have to do is ask and it is done for me. I love it!" - Excalibur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

christ, Excalibur really leaned hard into this poo poo didn't he

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DJExile posted:

christ, Excalibur really leaned hard into this poo poo didn't he

Yeah, he's not ideological or serious*, but he's sure persistent. He's a really talented dude, even back then, but I'm wondering how long it took him to stop leaning on cheap humor like that.

*Unlike, for instance, this bit from the Smackdown that I just started where they're trying to make it into a serious plotline:

Smackdown 4/1/04:

"Where the hell did you learn how to drive? Tijuana? Nuevo Laredo? We have laws here. You don't just drive however you want." - JBL

"Lo Ciento Senor" - his driver

"What did you just say?" -JBL

<more Spanish> - his driver

"This is America. Let me give you some free advice, ok. Learn the language. You speak English here. You don't speak Mexican. You don't speak Spanish. You don't speak Spanglish or whatever the hell you're speaking. You speak English. There are tons of opportunities here. You just have to work for 'em like I did. That's why I ride in the back. Heh Heh Heh. You'll be fine." - JBL

"That's good advice. What a stock tip for the little Spanish guy" - Taz

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

collocation posted:

Yeah, he's not ideological or serious*, but he's sure persistent. He's a really talented dude, even back then, but I'm wondering how long it took him to stop leaning on cheap humor like that.

My guess is that he pumped the brakes on that as PWG got bigger and the locker room got more diverse/expanded beyond the specific crew of guys who started it.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Also from the 4/1/04 Smackdown:

"Yo. Michael Cole got a new main squeeze. Taz they look to good together, but you know what before you all choke on each other, you can choke on Deez." - John Cena says regarding Rene Dupree and Michael Cole, right before he throws a pack of nuts at Rene's dog and beams the dog with them.

---

"Hold on a second there, holmes" - Angle to Eddie

---

"This isn't personal, my friend, amigo, it's just business." - JBL to Eddie

---

"That's a thousand dollar hat, you drat Latino thief" - JBL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wait when did Renee Dupree have a dog

also holy poo poo who was meant to be the big face on smackdown at that point? Wasn't cena still pretty much a heel?

E: oh yeah he had that big white poodle didn't he

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DJExile posted:

Wait when did Renee Dupree have a dog

also holy poo poo who was meant to be the big face on smackdown at that point? Wasn't cena still pretty much a heel?

E: oh yeah he had that big white poodle didn't he

Yep, the white poodle. Cena had turned face around November. Dupree was supposed to be heel because he was from France.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't it a different dog each week?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Wasn't it a different dog each week?

There was some banter about that between the announcers. I couldn't tell. It looked the same to me. I was wondering if they made him take it on the road, like they did in the 80's with some pets.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It was a different dog every week - that's why it was white some weeks and black other weeks.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Edward Mass posted:

It was a different dog every week - that's why it was white some weeks and black other weeks.

Ah I think it's been white so far, unless I zoned out on an off week. It showed up on his last Raw, and he just got to SD.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was a big René Duprée mark in 2004, so I would know these things.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Edward Mass posted:

I was a big René Duprée mark in 2004, so I would know these things.

I loved France during that time period as an anti-war French literature and food mark, but hated La Resistance and Dupree in a non kayfabe way. During my rewatch, I have come to appreciate and cheer for them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

collocation posted:

Yep, the white poodle. Cena had turned face around November. Dupree was supposed to be heel because he was from France.

This would have been during the invasion and occupation of Iraq, and France were the big mean terror-loving terror-lovers who hated freedom because they called bullshit on said military action based on so-called evidence that calling it "flimsy" would have been giving it too much credit.

Other countries like Germany and New Zealand were also like "haha, gently caress no" when Bush demanded the world join the Coalition of the Willing, as he called it, but it was France that the ARE 'MURRIKA FREEDOM TROOPS! crowd seemed to fixate on.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Vagabundo posted:

This would have been during the invasion and occupation of Iraq, and France were the big mean terror-loving terror-lovers who hated freedom because they called bullshit on said military action based on so-called evidence that calling it "flimsy" would have been giving it too much credit.

Other countries like Germany and New Zealand were also like "haha, gently caress no" when Bush demanded the world join the Coalition of the Willing, as he called it, but it was France that the ARE 'MURRIKA FREEDOM TROOPS! crowd seemed to fixate on.

I thought that Freedom Fries was the dumbest poo poo that I had ever heard. People were walking into French Restaurants that my friends worked at in LA and cursing them out, and some places were changing their advertising descriptions to "continental cuisine" in order to avoid backlash. Of course, poo poo is way dumber now.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW IN DA CLUB 4/02/04:

"Trent Acid yelling about gay partners. Where's your gay partner, Trent Acid? That's what I want to know. Where's your gay partner? He's the last guy who should be yelling about gay partners out there." - Eric G

----

"We're asking for a tag team partner to help us beat the poo poo out of that <unintelligible> Sonjay Dutt and beat the poo poo out of that fairy boot <f word for gay ending in OT> Jimmy Jacobs" - Robbie Marino

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

collocation posted:

PWG Taste The Radness 2/22/04:

Excalibur says that Joey Ryan wanted Slim to tell people to toss his salad because, according to Joey, "he's a black guy and that's what black guys do." Excalibur says that told Joey that not all black people are salad tossers and some are Drs. So Ryan went around telling people it was Slim's new catch phrase. But Slim turned him down.

---

Excalibur says that he saw his first Mexican in CA today and he was trying to steal his car stereo.

---

Excalibur bemoans that he will miss the finale of the Littlest Groom where "<r word for mentally challenged people with an o tacked on at the end> midgets" date other "<r word for mentally challenged people with an o tacked on at the end> midgets" and normies. Disco asks if they use that term. Excalibur says no and says that there are "no <r word for mentally challenged people with an os tacked on at the end> in the ring right now

---

"He's a bit yellow as well as black" - Excalibur on Scorpio Sky after he backs down from Super Dragon.

---

"You actually had a long rambling conversation that probably would have got us condemned by the NAACP. But let's say something. Scorpio Sky had some mean words for you." - Disco

"Scorpio Sky called me a racist. He said I said that black people like fried chicken and watermelon. And that's not true, I didn't say that. Those stereotypes may exist, but all I said is that black people like strawberry soda. That's all I said. It could be true, it could not be. I have some black friends, they enjoy strawberry soda, they enjoy koolaid. Some of them like fried chicken. Not all of them mind you. Some of them are very health conscious and fried chicken is a fattening food. Have I dug myself another hole?" - Excalibur

"You've dug yourself another hole. NAACP you can get in touch with Excalibur at Excalibur @ prowrestlingguerilla.com." - Disco

"Or my website eat a dick straight up dot com" - Excalibur

---

"For wrestlers with Cerebral Palsy, Quicksilver does really well. Sky afflicted with Sickle Cell Amenia, he does very well for himself. Chris Bosh with SARS and <word that sure sounds like the f word slur for gay, but is maybe a word for fat given the rest of the sentence?> syndrome, 'cause he is a little big around the gut, and all of us are different, he's like a raindrop that has yet to transform into a snowflake, he's beautiful unique and different, he just happens to be <r word for mentally challenged people ending in "ed">." - Excalibur

---

"Quicksilver can talk that smack <..> It's all gibberish because the way that <r word for mentally challenged people ending in "ed"> people talk is usually gibberish." - Disco

"They. That's how they speak, y'know they don't speak very clearly. Uhm y'know I tried conversing with Quicksilver at one point and you know he's like <makes dert der der imitation of mentally challenged people> and I said really that's so good for you but what he said was that my car was double parked behind his and he couldn't get out and he was very upset." -Excalibur

----

"Did you know that uh AXP stands for Accelerated Xceptional Peoples? It's because they're <r word for mentally challenged ending in "ed">. They're exceptional people. You see if they were normies they would spell exceptional with an e like it is normally spelled. As is the way of the <r word for mentally challenged people>. If you find them in the wild, that's how they do it." - Excalibur

---

"Quicksilver he can not tell you his car is parked in the f section of the parking lot. F for failure. His parents wanted a normal bouncing boy. However, they got some ugly mongoloidic <r word for mentally challenged people with an o tacked on at the end> baby." - Excalibur

---

"We don't like these guys very much ourselves, especially that c**s***er right there." Joey Ryan, referring to Super Dragon in the last part

"If you guys can find it in your schedule to take your dicks out of your asses, we'll be there.." - Excalibur to Ryan and co

lmfao

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW Retribution 4/3/04:

"WHAT'S HE DOING WITH A SISTER? WHATS HE DOING WITH A SISTER?" - Eric G as Robbie Marino of the recently formed BLKOUT flirts with a black woman in the crowd.

---

"Look at Marino, he says hello to all the African American fans, but he ignores everyone else" - Eric G

----

"Two white guys beating the poo poo out of each other. That gets my dick hard." - Robbie Marino

"You're a pervert. You know that? Watching two white guys do anything." - Eric G

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 04/05/04:

Eric Bischoff tells Regal that his nephew Eugene is "a very special talent"

---

"You can't saddle me with that window licker." - Regal

---

If I was going to post everything that was messed up about the Eugene angle, I'd have to transcribe 15 minute chunks of WWE since the whole thing is pretty messed up, so I will probably just go with lowlights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I completely forgot that Eugene was Eric's nephew. jesus christ

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 4/8/04:

"Eddie Guerrero proved he is the complete antithesis of what any American should be when he stole my cowboy hat." - JBL

---

"Cross over that rail, I'm sure you're used to crossing borders" - JBL to latino fan Enrique

---

"Come on ricky mamacita's gonna be happy with you when you come home with a thousand dollars. come on ricky I want it spic and span" - JBL

---

"If there's anyone here I can beat. it's you. cracker" - Teddy Long to Spike Dudley

---

"Mexicans who come to our country and pay no taxes. <...> I know what these type of people do to our economy. They take advantage of our healthcare system, our welfare system and send all their money back to Mexico and take advantage of people like me to have to support people like them. It's like half of America. It's like half of the state of Texas. <...> They're lazy. They look to government like it's big brother and please give me a handout. That's why people like me who made our own money have such outrageous taxes to pay for people <...> I'm gonna prove my point. Right there, there's a whole horde of Mexicans. The government won't do anything about it. The INS won't either. Texas is too scared. Texas are a bunch of cowards but John Bradshaw...STOP RIGHT THERE STOP RIGHT THERE. <...> Do you speak English? Do you speak Spanish? This is the United States, don't speak that crap to me. Get out of here <said as he kicks a Mexican in the rear end> and you tell your Mexican friends. You tell your Mexican family that they better stay in Mexico. You tell everybody south of the border that they better stay south of border because this side of the border John Bradshaw Layfield will be waiting." - JBL at the border in a video he shows a delighted Kurt Angle to win the Great American award and create the Republican platform for the 2016 election.

---

"Eddie Guerrero, you drat Latino thief" - JBL after he finds out that Eddie stole his trophy, to later use it as a hood ornament on his low rider

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

"If there's anyone here I can beat. it's you. cracker" - Teddy Long to Spike Dudley

I don't think this qualifies as bigotry, one can be prejudice against whites, but anti-white racism/bigotry is not a real thing, as there has never been systemic oppression of white people due to their race.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don't think this qualifies as bigotry, one can be prejudice against whites, but anti-white racism/bigotry is not a real thing, as there has never been systemic oppression of white people due to their race.

Yeah, I knew that I was going to get this response but the nature of the storyline is rooted in bigotry because the implication is that bad people like Teddy Long are the only ones to see bigotry and complain about it. Whether the words coming out of the heel black character's mouth are correct or incorrect and whether they can or cannot be bigotry under whichever definition one opts to employ is ultimately moot because the storyline itself is propagating a bigoted narrative, and by having the black characters being the ones to actual go full out with slurs they are making it a both sides issue, which would inherently go against what you're saying above, and therefore be something erroneous regarding bigotry and it's construction.

I covered this somewhat in my previous thread:

collocation posted:

They've laid off of it more recently, but I wrote about another trope that Vince loved regarding race earlier in my rewatch of the year:

I wanted to explain this next one a little bit, as the larger racist aspect of the story is not what was being said by the characters, but rather in the construction of the story.

WWE seems to have a trope in which they like to have an "incorrectly" angry black person or persons being mad at the man (see NOD for a more frequently referenced case) while there's a hard working non-complaining black person who doesn't blame anything on racism (see Ahmed) to show how one should act because racism never held down anyone in the WWE. Those characters sometimes say some racist poo poo to get across the point, but the more insidious aspect is the implication that someone who complains about racism must be a heel and must be incorrect.

<..>

They seem to be doing another one of these in 2003 with DLO and Teddy Long:

1/27/03 Raw:

"Why are there no black superheroes? Oh by the way, there was one, his name was Black Lightning, but of course nobody never heard of him. Now you got Superman, nice white boy, he can fly, man of steel, he's even got x ray vision, but what did black lightning do, shoot lightning bolts out his rear end, what kind of power is that, that's real nice, that's a real dignified superpower" - Teddy Long

"Dlo brown is already a black superhero by overcoming the adversity put upon him by the man. Tonight Dlo will let the Hurricane know what i means to be down with the brown" -Teddy Long

That said, in the previous thread's op I did say that I also included bigotry adjacent things also, which to my mind, would include attempts to make black characters appear bigoted, whether or not that bigotry can exist under one's own definition.

collocation posted:

I used to keep a thread elsewhere where I posted when I encountered bigotry and bigotry-adjacent type things while watching and/or rewatching WWE, TNA, CZW, MLW, PWG, and ROH. I'm not super into posting there anymore, so I thought that I would post them here instead.

collocation fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 16, 2021

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I've actually been skipping a bit of Teddy Long stuff for the reason that you suggested, despite my explanation quoted, just because I didn't want it to distract from any overall conversation, but this one seemed especially pertinent as it seemed to be an attempt to make it look like bigotry is something that is both employed by and used against white people in the aforementioned both sides manner, due to it taking place on the same episode as JBL's upping of the bullshit ante to a level not often seen.

In essence, booking Long to say that at this moment seemed to potentially be about obfuscating the actual definition of who can and cannot be bigoted against who. Additionally, when they have the only characters who point out racism use slurs, they are indirectly impugning people who notice and point out bigotry in society by portraying them as hypocritical whining heels, which in itself a bigoted construct meant to propagate the notion of reverse racism, which is ultimately a canard used to mask, obscure, and justify actual racism.

I appreciate you giving me a chance to expand upon the topic.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 4/15/04:

"There are a few fans out there that admire Eddie's criminal traits. A very small vocal minority. We as proud law abiding Americans must silence this vocal minority." - narrator of JBL political ad interrupting Eddie's promo

---

"Hell, you might as well be in one of those genuine intergender matches" - Jamie Noble, referring to Rico Vs Haas

---

"Whatever you do huh, don't let Rico get you from behind" - Jamie Noble

---

"Well you know Charlie Haas, always a bit paranoid, perhaps he has a reason to be in this match" - Michael Cole

---

"AHHH AHH YOU SICK FREAK YOU SICK AHHH AHHH AHH" - Charlie Haas to Rico

---

"I like this guy Rico" - Michael Cole

"I'm sure you do, Cole." - Taz

"No I mean his actions" - Cole

---

"I've never faced anybody like Rico in my career and that's a good thing." - Taz

---

"YOU SICK FREAK ARE YOU KIDDING ME" - Charlie Haas

---

"IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT TO CHEER FOR?" - Charlie Haas

---

Rico kisses Haas without his consent

"Charlie you just got kissed by Rico" - Michael Cole

Haas rinses his mouth out and is then counted out.

Charlie pukes

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

collocation posted:

Rico kisses Haas without his consent

"Charlie you just got kissed by Rico" - Michael Cole

Haas rinses his mouth out and is then counted out.

Charlie pukes

lmfao

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG The Musical 4/17/04:

"We do have a very big uh community of gay fans<unintelligible>. It's nothing that we're ashamed of because even though their money is gay, it's still green" - Excalibur

---

"I didn't know Apollo Khan was so angry." - Disco

"Well y'know there is a term angry black man and Apollo Khan while not the angriest of angry black men is quite angry" - Excalibur

---

"Now again I have noticed this. People accuse PWG, myself included, of being racist. If we were so racist, would we have a black man in each of these 3 matches?" - Excalibur

"Wow, or it could be argued that we are just putting them in there to mock them which we are not. We only take the top talent." - Disco

"That's right. We have booked every black wrestler in Southern California with the exception of <Ryan Mccain?> who none of you people listening to this DVD even know but he...Disco just smashing uh Scorpio Sky in the face with a banana by the way!" - Excalibur

---

"Joey Ryan cleaning house. If he were Mexican I would say that that is his job. Well, It is a fact that most Mesicans, well not most, some Mexicans <...> do have a profession where they clean the houses of other people" - Excalibur

---

"The Hardcore Kidd versus the gayest thing since gay came to gay town" - Excalibur on Special K wearing Teddy Hart designed pants

----

"Why did you just wink at me?" - Excalibur

"Did I?" - Disco

"That was pretty gay" - Excalibur

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For you young'uns who are rightfully put off and likely also confused by all of this: Yes, gay "jokes" were seen as the pinnacle of edgy comedy in the early-mid 2000s.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DJExile posted:

For you young'uns who are rightfully put off and likely also confused by all of this: Yes, gay "jokes" were seen as the pinnacle of edgy comedy in the early-mid 2000s.

Yeah, like mainstream comedy still ran with Gay panic jokes well into the 2000s. It really didn't turn around until the latter part of the decade.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DJExile posted:

I wouldn't even say "edgy". Thats just how people talked back then.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Glad to see that I'm justified once again in stopping watching wrestling regularly when JBL became part of the main event scene.

He won the Eddie feud. HE WON THE EDDIE FEUD.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He won the Eddie feud and Eddie almost legit died on an incredibly ill advised blade job

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

little munchkin posted:

I wouldn't even say "edgy". Thats just how people talked back then.

Yeah, calling gay jokes 'edgy' is giving the people saying them a lot more credit than they deserve.

Homophobia was just really cool.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

DeathChicken posted:

He won the Eddie feud and Eddie almost legit died on an incredibly ill advised blade job
I just saw the Benoit episodes of Dark Side of the Ring and they show a clip of this when they're talking about unprotected chair shots and it was horrific. I saw that match but didn't really remember all that much so seeing it back years later and remembering that they wrestled for another like... 20 minutes after that was crazy.

e: Not the thread I thought it was so I will add that JBL is a piece of poo poo.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What is the end goal of this thread

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What is the end goal of this thread

Did you know that you could go to the start of the thread?

If you do that, and this is where it gets wild, you'll see that this is the second version of this thread.

And in case you find it a little bit difficult to do so, you can click on a link that the OP has put.

And this gets really, really superduper crazy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945056

When you click this link, it takes you to the 2003 version of this thread, where the collocation outlines why he's doing these threads.

Alternatively, you can gently caress off with your asinine threadshitting because who the gently caress are you to demand anyone justify themselves to you.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm also curious as to what the end goal is

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

If you do that, and this is where it gets wild, you'll see that this is the second version of this thread.

And in case you find it a little bit difficult to do so, you can click on a link that the OP has put.

When you click this link, it takes you to the 2003 version of this thread, where the collocation outlines why he's doing these threads.

Alternatively, you can gently caress off with your asinine threadshitting because who the gently caress are you to demand anyone justify themselves to you.

lmfao what in tarnation

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Vagabundo posted:

You could have just copy and pasted what he said in your link instead of this epic monologue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
random psychos encountered while reading the random bigotry encountered while rewatching - 04 edition thread