Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I'm in 2004 now, so this is the 2004 version of this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945056

Smackdown 01/01/04:

"I heard your door swings the wrong way bro, not me, I hit on chicks" - John Cena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 01/05/04:

The pretense of this episode was that Coach and Long are bad people and racists for bringing up racism because only heels and bad people would talk about racism which clearly does not exist in the WWE. That being the case, there was a fair amount of smack talking white people which I'm not going to include because I don't want to get into "wuhwuh reverse racism" conversations. All the same, it got more awkward than it already was occasionally.

---

"I'm a handsome brother" - Coach

"Who's your brother?" - JR

"I said a good looking brother. I'll try to speak slowly for the hip impaired" -Coach

"Oh you speak homeboy? Is that what it is?" -Lawler

---

"You would want to choke a black man you would say that" - coach

"I don't know where you're getting that. You're playing that card" - JR

---

"It's not fair" - Coach

"Go ahead, play the race card, it's the only card in your deck. Say it." - KIng

This was said right before Austin chases Long back out with his ATV

---

"Have you ever noticed how white Bubba Ray's legs are?" - Coach

"We're talking a lot about skin color tonight and I'm uncomftrable to be quite frank" - JR

"You would be, you're a racist" - Coach

"I'm not a racist you jackasss" - JR

"I apologize <..> you're not a racist, you're just a sooner loser." - Coach

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It blows my mind that Coach went back, he must have been really unhappy at ESPN

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I like these occasional reminders that Jerry Lawler has always loving sucked

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It blows my mind that Coach went back, he must have been really unhappy at ESPN
ESPN cleaned house a while back and he might have been one of the casualties

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Karl the podcaster dude from F4W posted some stuff awhile back that blew my mind in terms of how far Lawler went:

"Jerry Lawler has a long history of this and it use to be WAY worse back in the day and he shouldn't get a pass on it either. JERRY JARRETT used to have to veto Jerry Lawler lines that were too much and, mind you, not deemed too much was Uncle Elmer threatening to bury black people under a pond in Philadelphia, MS (and if you don't get that reference do some research*, watermelon and fried chicken lines being used regularly, tar and feathering, and more."

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Chaney,_Goodman,_and_Schwerner

and

"All your really need to know about Jerry Lawler and his feelings on race relations are in this promo by Stan Frazier about mid-way through. How this doesn't get routinely brought up as one of the most disgusting things ever to air on pro wrestling is beyond me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDVQ4Uqe6VY

That's the worst race related segment that I've ever seen on a wrestling show, and I've seen some poo poo.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 1/15/04:

"Everybody knows you swallow, don't spit it out." - Cena to Heyman during a soap eating angle

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

collocation posted:

a soap eating angle

What the gently caress?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

What the gently caress?
Cena was feuding with Heyman, who was the heel GM of Smackdown at the time. At some point, there was a match whose stipulation was that either Cena or Heyman had to "wash his mouth with soap." I forget the exact details (I think Cena had to beat Big Show or whatever, it doesn't really matter), but Cena obviously won and Heyman got the soap.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Doc M posted:

Cena was feuding with Heyman, who was the heel GM of Smackdown at the time. At some point, there was a match whose stipulation was that either Cena or Heyman had to "wash his mouth with soap." I forget the exact details (I think Cena had to beat Big Show or whatever, it doesn't really matter), but Cena obviously won and Heyman got the soap.

It was Rhyno, but otherwise that's it. He was also put in a submission hold by Benoit while Cena force fed him. It was something.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW Street Fight 2K4 1/17/04:

"It's that hot Latin temper, John" - Eric G. as Mercedez Martinez turns on her "bitch" Rick Feinberg

"Ali was an all bushwhackin' rear end cotton pickin' rear end <n word> that can suck my dick" - New Jack, who also explained that the Dudleyz and everyone else had been non-literally sodomized by Vince McMahon, but not New Jack.

"He's an Uncle Tom <...> He's going to speak that gangster talk now." - Eric G. on Ruckus

"It's all blame it on the white man, blame it on whitey. <..> Get those two criminals out of here." - Eric G. on Ruckus and co

collocation fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 18, 2020

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 1/19/04:

"I know this is Martin Luther King Jr day, but this is ridiculous, Coach as interim general manager" - King

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I say this half shitposting and half genuinely, is recording all this stuff like this a healthy activity for you? I get the feeling you are pretty frustrated seeing all these comments

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

sleep with the vicious posted:

I say this half shitposting and half genuinely, is recording all this stuff like this a healthy activity for you? I get the feeling you are pretty frustrated seeing all these comments

Dudes hurtin for certain.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

sleep with the vicious posted:

That's kind of you, but it's fine. I was watching the stuff to begin with, and this was just a side activity. It seemed mildly more useful than just sending these to friends in chat and going "lol wtf" like I did for the 70's through 02. While everyone remembers the worst stuff, I also find that seeing them lined up side by side from shows that were so recent expresses a different point about their commonality, needlessness, and general banality.

collocation fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 20, 2020

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
I am not shitposting, but genuinely interested when I ask how old were you in 2004?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

PoO3 posted:

I am not shitposting, but

:thunk:

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PoO3 posted:

I am not shitposting, but genuinely interested when I ask how old were you in 2004?

The answer that I gave elsewhere to this is probably more solid than whatever I would randomly compose right now, so:

collocation posted:

This may belittle me a bit, but I started watching in 1988, so. However, I pretty much completely stopped watching around 2005, and was brought back by the (now cancelled) network and NJPW world.

I remembered the worst stuff or thought that I did, but I was surprised by how casual and frequent it was the second time around. I was also surprised by the extent to which it ramped up in the early 00's when they got desperate for ratings. People tend to view bigotry as something that has been slowly reduced over time, but WWE actually deciding that the post 9-11 environment needed more racism was quite a choice.

I didn't watch any indies after WCW died, so stuff like the first ROH match being a gay baiting angle that got F word chants was entirely new to me. That's one that they will never be able to play on retrospectives, I guess.

I am able to watch while working from home, so I watched a shitload of stuff when I had the network. Throughout watching stuff from the 50's to 2003, I had always sent the most ridiculously out of date stuff to a couple friends with a JEEZUS type tag, but I started compiling it when I got to 2003 because it was becoming even more common and frequent, and it seemed like a sequential reading of it might be worthwhile.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

ROH The Last Stand 1/29/04

"I'm not going to take that from a guy who is one generation removed from eating raw fish with his hands and taking a dump behind a tree." - Jim Cornette on Samoa Joe

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

collocation posted:

The answer that I gave elsewhere to this is probably more solid than whatever I would randomly compose right now, so:

If you don't want to tell people how old you are thats cool but thats a very strange way to say it

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

Wezlar posted:

If you don't want to tell people how old you are thats cool but thats a very strange way to say it

Just back off

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I really don’t understand what the OP’s age has to do with anything. People’s perception changes with age. Just let em post

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

collocation posted:

Raw 1/19/04:

"I know this is Martin Luther King Jr day, but this is ridiculous, Coach as interim general manager" - King

Jonathan Coachman was meant to be a heel at around this time, right? I guess a very generous person would interpret that as "surely there's someone much better that could represent the black community than that dickhead," but gently caress me, it's not a good look.

collocation posted:

ROH The Last Stand 1/29/04

"I'm not going to take that from a guy who is one generation removed from eating raw fish with his hands and taking a dump behind a tree." - Jim Cornette on Samoa Joe

Jesus christ, Jim.

PoO3 posted:

Wezlar posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, is the OP's age any of your loving business? No? Then piss off.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, is the OP's age any of your loving business? No? Then piss off.

I did not ask and in fact said it was totally cool if they didn't want to tell people :confused:

edit: Anyways sorry for making GBS threads up the thread OP

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 23, 2020

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I mean, I'm old, that's all.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I like these threads and the OP has been posting good content. No need to poo poo on it.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos
Might as well name this OP accidentally cancels Excalibur.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 02/05/04:

"You don't need to be talking trash. He plays the skin flute so much he has a milk mustache" - John Cena

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Well then...

-----

CZW 5th Anniversary Show 2/07/04:

"Jon it's getting hot in here, it must be that Spanish blood of Mercedez Martinez" - Eric G

"Who Dressed him? 50 Cent?" - Eric G because a non black heel dude's outfit apparently looked hip hop or something

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

collocation posted:

Well then...

oh what the gently caress

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Never followed CZW. Who is this Eric G piece of poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Never followed CZW. Who is this Eric G piece of poo poo
Assuming it's Eric Garguilo. He was involved with RF Video in the '90s & their early shoot interviews, & he also was on commentary on the first 2 ROH shows & was the CZW commentator from almost the very start until the late '00s.

He sucks.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Edit: never mind, being dumb.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 29, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I definitely wasn't watching wrestling in 2004, but this poo poo is absolutely making me revisit just how awful jr high and high school were in terms of poo poo that was said. The early 2000s have not aged well at all.

EDIT: I think the last wrestling thing I watched before hopping back in on a random RAW in 2008 was WM X-7 and hating the Austin heel turn.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DJExile posted:

oh what the gently caress

I'm honestly not really sure if or how it would be appropriate to respond to it or comment on it. I'm sort of surprised that it's allowed since I have to imagine that I would get a temp ban, at least, if I said something like the text in my new avatar to someone in a regular post.

At the same time, I was raised in a lovely moderate sized midwestern town where I had to fistfight full rear end grown adults if I came out of the wrong club or show at the wrong time looking the wrong way, so while this thread might give some the impression that getting bashed is going to make me curl up into a ball or even give a gently caress, it would take quite a bit more to raise my response level above blase. It isn't even really enough to elicit a figurative or actual jerk off hand motion and an eye roll from me. I mean, I've taken literal black eyes for my sexuality, so this doesn't really register.

And, I suppose, if I'm looking really hard for silver linings, since I've had at least a few dicks in my mouth and I don't like Ruby, I guess that it is technically more accurate than my old avatar, even if I would hate to get a reputation for not swallowing.

I just hope that it doesn't hurt the feelings of someone else who has or might want to gently caress dudes, but isn't as confident in their sexuality yet. While it's directed at me, it's now on whatever I post, and it would be a real loving shame if it made someone feel less welcome here.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

I definitely wasn't watching wrestling in 2004, but this poo poo is absolutely making me revisit just how awful jr high and high school were in terms of poo poo that was said. The early 2000s have not aged well at all.

EDIT: I think the last wrestling thing I watched before hopping back in on a random RAW in 2008 was WM X-7 and hating the Austin heel turn.

We're probably about the same age or a few years off. Like you, I knew it was what it was when I watched it the first time, and it was one of the main reasons that I stopped admitting to watching it by the time I was a teenager. What surprised me this time around is that, a bit after the Austin turn (which I liked) and the Invasion (which I didn't), they leaned backwards really heavily into it and amped it up at the same that they went really sexual and morbid as the ratings dropped. Before that, it was still bad, but it had tapered off to a certain level. By 03, even though most of the rest of media was still moving slowly away from bigoted content, as the boom died off and their ratings started to crater, it seems like it was one of the few paints in their palette when it came to trying to make controversy into cash and ratings.

I think that the current environment would make it impossible to be anywhere near as blatant, but amidst angles where people threaten to or actually do light each other on fire, I find myself wondering if they'll try it again on some level soon, since their ratings are at all time lows now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have a nut mustache because I am lactose intolerant

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

collocation posted:

We're probably about the same age or a few years off. Like you, I knew it was what it was when I watched it the first time, and it was one of the main reasons that I stopped admitting to watching it by the time I was a teenager. What surprised me this time around is that, a bit after the Austin turn (which I liked) and the Invasion (which I didn't), they leaned backwards really heavily into it and amped it up at the same that they went really sexual and morbid as the ratings dropped. Before that, it was still bad, but it had tapered off to a certain level. By 03, even though most of the rest of media was still moving slowly away from bigoted content, as the boom died off and their ratings started to crater, it seems like it was one of the few paints in their palette when it came to trying to make controversy into cash and ratings.

This is a good summary. It was mainly JBL's world title run that made me stop watching on a regular basis, but even before then they were clearly very desperate in the way that they presented "edgy" content, and I could see that even though I was only 13 in 2003.

Relevant bit from the post I edited earlier (not wanting to continue a derail): these threads show me that Thuganomics Cena is way worse than I remember it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah thuganomics cena is some brutal stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I appreciate these threads in the same way as the WCW Observer Quote lists. This was a dire time for a lot of wrestling and no one really wants to re-visit that era or watch much of it. I'm thankful someone is preserving how awful a lot of this poo poo was as I've blocked it out entirely. I just remember how boring the wrestling and storylines were, but it's pretty surprising to see how vile the promo content was.