Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Yeah. Looks like they had cleaner tacks and jibes too. A bit surprising, but it shows how quickly these boats are gaining performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Some good match racing today, but those starts by Ineos are costing them. That slam in the second start was reminiscent of American Magic around the top gate in the semi finals.

[Edit] Due to a Covid-19 outbreak in Auckland, the city is in lockdown and the final has been postponed.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 14, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah 2 bad starts cost Ineos but tbh I'm not sure it would make a difference, Luna Rossa looked like they were intrinsically faster everywhere. Hopefully Ineos can come back and make the series interesting.

Lockdown gives them some extra development time.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It wouldn't be an America's cup without a legal battle. Prada sued to ensure that the final wasn't allowed to continue past Feb 24th, they wanted to be crowned winner of no races were able to take place during lockdown. Organisers wanted to postpone so there could be crowds for the races but their hand has been forced so racing resumes Saturday

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had racing today! And it wasn't a whitewash!

Pretty interesting clash at the start of the first race but Luna Rossa just sailed away after the double penalty for Ineos but they got revenge in the second.

Lunna Rossa only need 2 more wins, Ineos need 6.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Some good racing, especially in the last race. Luna Rossa seems to have been able to follow closer then Ineos ever did, but that might be a difference of wind across the course. We have yet to see an overtake on course since the round robins though. I expect aggressive starting maneuvers to continue.

I'm not super familiar with the history of the course layout, but it is the same size as it was with displacement boats? The course seems fairly cramped for these foiling boats, which I think can hamper overtakes. A bit like Monaco in F1 where technology overtakes tradition.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Well done Luna Rossa, faster boat that they sailed incredibly well. All behind them now to try and get the cup back to Europe at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baneling Butts
Dec 9, 2012

I was hoping for a UK/NZ final, but Luna Rossa definitely earned their spot. Cheering on Team NZ, sorry Europeans!