Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah. Looks like they had cleaner tacks and jibes too. A bit surprising, but it shows how quickly these boats are gaining performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Some good match racing today, but those starts by Ineos are costing them. That slam in the second start was reminiscent of American Magic around the top gate in the semi finals.

[Edit] Due to a Covid-19 outbreak in Auckland, the city is in lockdown and the final has been postponed.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 14, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah 2 bad starts cost Ineos but tbh I'm not sure it would make a difference, Luna Rossa looked like they were intrinsically faster everywhere. Hopefully Ineos can come back and make the series interesting.

Lockdown gives them some extra development time.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It wouldn't be an America's cup without a legal battle. Prada sued to ensure that the final wasn't allowed to continue past Feb 24th, they wanted to be crowned winner of no races were able to take place during lockdown. Organisers wanted to postpone so there could be crowds for the races but their hand has been forced so racing resumes Saturday

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had racing today! And it wasn't a whitewash!

Pretty interesting clash at the start of the first race but Luna Rossa just sailed away after the double penalty for Ineos but they got revenge in the second.

Lunna Rossa only need 2 more wins, Ineos need 6.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Some good racing, especially in the last race. Luna Rossa seems to have been able to follow closer then Ineos ever did, but that might be a difference of wind across the course. We have yet to see an overtake on course since the round robins though. I expect aggressive starting maneuvers to continue.

I'm not super familiar with the history of the course layout, but it is the same size as it was with displacement boats? The course seems fairly cramped for these foiling boats, which I think can hamper overtakes. A bit like Monaco in F1 where technology overtakes tradition.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Well done Luna Rossa, faster boat that they sailed incredibly well. All behind them now to try and get the cup back to Europe at least.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

I was hoping for a UK/NZ final, but Luna Rossa definitely earned their spot. Cheering on Team NZ, sorry Europeans! :nz:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Pretty good interview with Ben Ainsley and Grant Simmer (CEO of Ineos sail team). Insights on the boat, their own performance and the difficulties before sailing started, and the Americas Cup finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEr9S4uSLGY

I thought the comment on production lead time on foils contra sails was interesting. You can afford to arrive without your sail plan fully ironed out, but the foils are pretty locked in due to production time. That is what we saw Ineos do between the Christmas and Prada cup Makes sense when you think about it.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 1, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Humbug posted:

Pretty good interview with Ben Ainsley and Grant Simmer (CEO of Ineos sail team). Insights on the boat, their own performance and the difficulties before sailing started, and the Americas Cup finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEr9S4uSLGY

I thought the comment on production lead time on foils contra sails was interesting. You can afford to arrive without your sail plan fully ironed out, but the foils are pretty locked in due to production time. That is what we saw Ineos do between the Christmas and Prada cup Makes sense when you think about it.

That was super interesting, thanks for linking. The interviews with nathan outeridge and ken read he's done are also great.

Would also recommend mozzy sails for some interesting technical analysis, he had 300 subs at the the start of the prada cup but he's put out some really interesting videos on the design choices the teams have made

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK0h2Yj6jcyeXGeITonYnOA

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Some good racing on the first day. I would call it close to perfect conditions for the Kiwis with a 13-16kn steady breeze, but the performance gap was small. I know the Americans would have liked those conditions.

Looks to me that the Kiwis have a bit more speed, but Luna Rossa can sail higher upwind. Makes sense when you consider their respective foil plans.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love these boats. I hope they keep this rule for a long time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Next series should be universal rule J class boats, but with foils* and no luxury interior requirements

*foil size determined as a fraction of L/D

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

:chloe:

e: and for content, I compare this rule to F1 cars--pushing the limits of material science, and that's about it? At least F1 had a lot to do with development of hybrid systems for cars. I very much doubt Z axis foilers will become the norm in the sailboat world within the next 20 years, though, and quite frankly, all of the technowizardry that goes into making them fly kinda takes the romance out of the sport for me.

I had more fun on my J24 yesterday afternoon than I ever do on the J90.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

First time getting to watch the racing, so far they've all been won off the start. Glad it's so close but hopefully they got onto some shiftier courses with restrictions easing.

One thing though is the ETNZ boat sounds absolutely awful.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

I agree. Americas cup has always been a tech driven. It's highly unusual for the boat performance to be as close as it is. If you want spec boat racing there are loads of other racing to watch, just as there are loads of alternatives to F1. The cutting edge of tech has an appeal of its own to a lot of people.

To me, the twin skin mainsails are probably the most interesting development of the AC75. I see some potential for those on high performance yachts outside the AC. Foils have been around a long time at this point.

I believe the NYYC was keen on displacement monohulls for the AC. Since the Kiwis obviously decided on the AC75 class and foil systems are Italian made, I think the class will have at least another round, maybe with some minor changes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This race is crazy. :psyduck:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I take it back that it’s just a drag race. The start is still key but nice to see some shifting leads today.

Also go NZ!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Gutted for Lunna Rosa, they should have won both races today. Bossed the start but gave up too much in some of their manouvers in the first race, second race they got the worst of the conditions. Can't see them overhauling the deficit given how close the boats are.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

What an amazing race today. Luna Rossa outsailed a much faster boat then threw it away on the last upwind leg.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

GGNZ

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So does this mean two more years of flying boat treachery

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Boat speed won in the end. Well played to Luna Rossa for giving them a fight.

Hadlock posted:

So does this mean two more years of flying boat treachery

That was a given as soon as American Magic was knocked out afaik. The bigger question is probably if the next AC will be in NZ or shipped off to China or the UAE

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124207583/americas-cup-team-nz-seeks-overseas-bids-for-future-defence-in-20234

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Latest rumor is that Emerates Airlines isn't going to be funding things next round, and unless NZ government steps in, it's headed to portsmouth uk

Would have loved to see America's Cup battled out in China though

That said I'm much more likely to fly to UK to see the next america's cup than either NZ or China

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/03/16/going-old-school-for-12mr-world-champs/

scuttlebutt posted:

America’s Cup comes from its history, and those chapters are kept alive by the continued presence of those yachts that once fought for the trophy. With over 90 built, the 12 Metre Class rings the bell loudest, and has endured long after its America’s Cup era from 1958 to 1987.

At least a dozen of the Vintage 12mR yachts are expected to arrive on their own keels from Germany, Denmark, and Sweden

will depart in mid-July for the journey of more than 1300 nautical mile

:allears:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Latest rumor is that Emerates Airlines isn't going to be funding things next round, and unless NZ government steps in, it's headed to portsmouth uk

Would have loved to see America's Cup battled out in China though

That said I'm much more likely to fly to UK to see the next america's cup than either NZ or China

Ineos are apparently the challenger of record with a possible 2022 deed of gift match in Portsmouth. Will be interesting to see how many other challenges come in for the next full cycle.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Arriving under sail to the Americas Cup is something that should have always been enforced. If a boat is not capable of a transit, its not Americas' Cup worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I honestly wonder if something like a factory stock catalina 27 is more seaworthy than the latest batch of america's cup contenders