Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I can do an effortpost later but worth pointing out how the Americans went from "greatest comeback in Sporting history" to "abject, dismal failure" in the last 2 defenses lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Jesus Christ.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Thanks for bumping this thread, idk why I couldn't find it in my bookmarks, so crossposting from Nautical Insanity--but uh yeah looks like American Magic is done.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If anyone has speculation/scuttlebutt re: Defiant, American Magic, etc. please speak up. I'm still of the opinion that fiber will never be a strong enough repair to not be a concern on Patriot, but transporting and commissioning a world class GP boat even with unlimited resources in less than a week seems a gargantuan task. Sailing Anarchy salts are saying they've heard a battery box broke loose and caused the puncture but I haven't seen a reliable source for that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah its my understanding Defiant is still in NZ but no one knows just how bare they stripped her or *exactly* where in NZ.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah the commentators last night said Luna Rossa are claiming they’re 10% faster since racing began in earnest

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I love these boats. I hope they keep this rule for a long time.

:chloe:

e: and for content, I compare this rule to F1 cars--pushing the limits of material science, and that's about it? At least F1 had a lot to do with development of hybrid systems for cars. I very much doubt Z axis foilers will become the norm in the sailboat world within the next 20 years, though, and quite frankly, all of the technowizardry that goes into making them fly kinda takes the romance out of the sport for me.

I had more fun on my J24 yesterday afternoon than I ever do on the J90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Arriving under sail to the Americas Cup is something that should have always been enforced. If a boat is not capable of a transit, its not Americas' Cup worthy.