Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I doubt you’re going to find a lot of detailed pictures of how these boats are constructed but looking at the few pics I can find the damage appears to be forward of the foil. The foil box is probably the highest-loaded part of the hull so any damage to that is real bad.

Given the location and shape/size of the hole I would buy that battery-ripped-loose theory. They obviously hadn’t specced the battery box to withstand a 45kt flight and landing. That said, the foils may not have been either, and with a chunk of hull missing unexpected things may have happened structurally that aren’t as obvious as a hole.

If that’s what all is, and the hole is in a relatively unstressed part of the skin, it’s on the easier end of the spectrum to repair. I don’t know if that is a one week fix though, these guys are a little beyond the West Systems and sawdust that I deal in.

I figure they’ll fix it and have a go, should at least be a show when the foil fails under load and the whole boat explodes. If they don’t, at least they crashed out while leading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s possible they could have similar performance to their ac34 win, it took them a while to dial the boat in but when they did...