Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thinking of strolls super sad and dejected “yeah” while upside down asking if he was okay still makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

For me it's all the times his race engineer was obviously done with the lovely job of watching over the boss's son's pathetic exploits

Lmao god drat the one I think in silver stone “press the loving overtake!”

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It's [christmas] lights [on] and away we go [dashing through the snow]

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Brundle: And a sleigh is off

Crofty: Oh it must be St. Christopher.

Literal minutes later:

Crofty: Oh apparently its St. Nick!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I could put up with so much crofty bullshit if he wasn’t somehow sub 50% on guessing the right loving driver we’re watching. Fuckin Albon could be starting 15th with max on pole and he’d somehow call the lead redbull through turn 5 “albon”

Because max has already hit the wall

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean you're lucky if he gets the team right. He definitely mixed up the Williams and Alpha Taurus about twice a race last season.

I don’t remember this but I believe it. I’m with Azza Bamboo where I’m totally fine with not knowing and just saying the team. Just don’t get it wrong!!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Frond posted:

Those races were amazing - not only the track (which is, along with Road America, the best in the USA) but the crowds were known for being rowdy and wild. Like a Woodstock '99 for F1(it's why they went to LV after the final race there in 1980.) Very pretty in the fall too.

I think that year they lit a car on fire in the spectator area during the night.

I don’t know if it was during a formula GP but my dad was there the year someone stole a greyhound bus from the parking lot and drove it into a mud pit known as “the bog” where everyone threw rocks at it until it was set on fire.

He said he went there every year for years and never once saw or even knew what race was happening lol.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lol it was the Grand Prix.

https://youtu.be/Q2-ZmI1HBFw

Video has at least a few frames of the bus on fire midway through. Now I can tell my dad he’s been to a formula 1 GP lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve seen a couple specific rankings of tracks as videos but is there a video or something that explains in more general terms what makes a track good for the current generation of F1 racing? I know some aspects like track width, the set up of the straights/DRS, but I’d be interested to learn a bit more in depth.

I guess maybe this is answered by related content explaining the difficulty of following and dirty air but I dunno.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

the corona quid posted:

That's a huge can of worms to open up and the answer is going to vary depending on who you ask.

That’s kind of what I figured and probably why I felt like I couldn’t put my finger on “but why is the track bad” other than odd specifics that are tied to a bunch of otherwise seemingly minor details

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s my first season but 2020 felt fun and I hope that’s not just because covid threw a wrench into everything. It felt like we got something good at least every other weekend on average.

Highlights from memory:
First Austria, Lando gets his first podium, drama with Lewis and Albon.

Silverstone having Lewis tire drama and then an unexpected Red Bull outright win. Idc about max but it was fun to think someone could match Mercedes for a second.

CHAOS MODE Monza and the best podium

CHAOS MODE Mugello (but iirc a boring podium? Or am I mixing this up with portimao?)

No Grip Turkey (only funny Friday/Saturday and turned out to be a boring race)

Outer Sakhir George Drama

Grosjean crash (not fun but memorable), Max wall

Two Ric Podiums

And of course Ferrari’s insane 1000th GP celebration

I’m sure there’s so much more but all of those are burned into my memory as either fun and/or funny, so that feels like a good investment for the races that I’ve completely deleted from my
memory like Spain and Hungary.

Also wait lol remember how max also drove into the wall in Hungary before the race.

Also somehow I don’t remember anything particularly fun about Spa.

Either way I hope 2021 can provide as much.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

People kept talking about air fryers and then I googled that they’re just convection ovens and it’s just a marketing thing that they sell them as a separate tool and now I’m ready to fight about them.

Also lol I don’t know if it’s specific to america but somehow people insist that it’s “healthier” because it doesn’t use oil as they immediately ‘air fry’ several dozen tater tots to cover in ketchup and cheese.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If they just called the fuckin thing a convection (toaster) oven I wouldn’t throw a fit about it.

your friend wicka posted:

Probably because it's literally healthier without the oil lmao

Okay fair, I was drunk and did an awful job explaining what I meant. I was trying pick at the people who act like the difference between them being fit and fat was the air fryer, rather than the fact they’re eating a shitload of bad food either way.

The Big Jesus posted:

It's nice to use our combo toaster oven air fryer thing if I'm making food for one or a snack for teo. Much faster.

This is also reasonable. I just fuckin hate the hype and want people to stop pretending it’s some space age poo poo when it’s just a god drat convection oven. I’m not buying another $400 loving kitchen gadget to try and carve out a niche for. I’ve made it this far with my other heat sources and my tacos have never once come out too sweet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

the corona quid posted:

Have you heard of this thing called marketing? It turns out if you change the name of a product it can sell more.

Yeah that’s why and that’s why I’m mad about it. It’s like an annoying commercial and air fryer owners act like I’m insulting them personally when I say it’s a convection oven. gently caress I had one friend insist “no it’s not *just* that, it has *something* special about it.”

I’ll never not be mad about people being tricked by marketing bullshit.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

the corona quid posted:

You sound like you need a couple of ice cold beerskis to unwind my friend 🍻

That’s what got me here in the first place. But I’ll try again and see if I care less about air fryers this time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

your friend wicka posted:

You have a genuine personal problem if you can't help but get mad at someone enjoying something in this context.

The hell is this? I wasn’t mad at anybody I’m mad at the dumb marketing bullshit. Hell I’ll even still eat snacks my friend makes me in his magic toaster oven.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If one team was sponsored by a vape company instead of a cigarette company who would it be

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s also a roku app that sucks as well.

I was happy to have F1TV for my first year so I could hit a bunch of old races but it really does suck. Worst of all: you can’t rewind or jump ahead during a live race until it’s completely over. If I woke up 30 minutes too late and wanted to see lap one, tough poo poo.

Not a helpful suggestion outside of the US, but I switched to YouTube TV and use its DVR feature to grab the races from ESPN2’s broadcast. If I woke up late I could start the race from the beginning, then skip boring laps after the start until I caught up to live, or jump back time for my own instant replay feature.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

I've found Hulu works better for this by using their "subscribe to a sport or team" feature. Sometimes YoutubeTV has waited to grab the later rebroadcast that has commercials. :chloe:

Really? I’m not sure exactly what exactly I have set to record but it’s always grabbed the initial broadcast. It also grabs practices and anything else that says “formula 1” so it must be a similar kind of thing. Dunno for sure. I used YouTube tv for about half of this season and never had ads mid race.

Sometimes you do have to be careful because YouTube will record everything and you have to make sure you choose the correct version. I run into this with shows that I recorded but also have on demand, where the on demand version has unskippable ads.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I went to a single rally for just a couple hours in the middle of rural PA and just watched cars fly over a jump as my first ever live motorsport event and now I’m watching Formula 1.

What I’m saying is you need to be careful or your motorsport habit can become a big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hope its at least close to as much fun as last season. This was my first full season of watching beyond random old races I watched and I feel like I might have been spoiled for some of the chaos that only 2020 could have. It made it a lot of fun.