Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Diplomat posted:

This Fernando fella looks promising for next season, what should I expect from him?

dying of old age mid-way through a race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Actually what max did was worse because it was clearly a wall and not a tunnel.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

track day bro! posted:

Please post any picture itt and I will put it in the op

reposting my good dog

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

At time of posting 1.7 million people watched the SIX MINUTES of 'highlights' FOM put together for a dead rubber race in which absolutely nothing happened

Amazed they got six minutes out of it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Could we change the title to "Formula 1: SEASON'S OFF AND AWAY WE POST"

that is my suggestion

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

nando already faster than ocon and ricciardo

lol at these "young" drivers, I thought the only piss take was going to be nando.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I can't remember where I posted it but I met Frank Williams about 8 years ago (Adam Parr was also there and I think he got binned about a week later), and I legitimately thought he'd died shortly afterwards was surprised to learn it was only his team which had died and that he was still alive.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mokotow posted:

I started a rewatch of the 2008 season, and holy poo poo, the opening Australia race was loving great. Random thoughts:

- If you think today's commentary is dire, holy poo poo, the 2012 Brundle-driven drivel is horrible. I mean, he's just as bad today, but how did this man not improve in the next 12 years?
- Reigning champion Kimi seems to actually give a poo poo and fight in his Ferrari, but just keeps loving up in the most ridiculous ways.
- It's strange to see Hamilton in the lead for the whole race, minutes in front of everyone, coming in all the way from 2020.
- David Coulthard shouting on live TV he'll kick "three colors of poo poo out of the little bastard" (Massa)
- Cars actually racing
- poo poo happening every few laps
- Commentators taking 30 second breaks just... not commenting.
- Bizarre name pronounciations, inluding Q-bitsah and Veh-thellll.

2007-2012 or thereabouts were great formula one imo, and then I just stopped paying proper attention until the end of last season. I don't know what exactly happened to make F1 boring, I guess maybe the combination of DRS and then hybrids?

I only really started watching consistently again this year because covid meant I had nothing better to do at the weekends, and I figured I wanted to know the lay of the land before the rules changed and made it better again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Khablam posted:

07-12 was great.
Then the "bad tyres" race happened and idiots decided "there's a whole formula in that lads". Of course the teams adapted to the used pencil eraser tyres, and it became a tyre management formula and still is to this day, with a sprinkling of "also have the best engine because you don't wear tyres on a straight".

From the late 80s all the way to 2000 was also great.

Who knew the racing was more exciting when the drivers had to push the whole race to compete, instead of hitting a pace the computers say finishes the race the best for that circuit and surface?

It's entirely on pirelli that modern f1 sucks. The hybrids are fine.
It's no accident the best races are where tyre management mostly disappears, (safety cars etc) and cars race to the end.

Pirelli should be sent to the Hague.

Yeah that's fair, whenever anyone does anything interesting in modern F1 it's always followed a few laps later with "my tyres are gone!"

Was 2007-2012 just the sweet spot between the end of "tyre wars" and the start of Pirelli trying to run races on balloons?

track day bro! posted:

He's a worse driver than Pérez

George Russell? Yeah I agree.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

GramCracker posted:

Oh man, I wonder what our future 8x and 2021 WDC is up to....

#MegaFro

This is a better look than the braids.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The braids highlight your ever increasing bald spot.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I kind of feel that in terms of engines they should say run any engine you want but it can only produce X amount of carbon emissions over the season and then just see what crazy poo poo people come up with until they find the optimal engine type/solve climate change.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

This is categorically false lmao. You may as well be saying it only takes 2 minutes to get a perfect hamburger from a McDonald’s drive thru

"gently caress I need a good comeback. What is the ideal food, that is famously hard to make and not done in minutes thousands of times a day but dumb teen-agers? Ah yes, a McDonald's hamburger!"

Rice in pot is good. Nice fluffy basmati boiled in a pot as has been done by billions of people for thousands of years.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

This is so stupid because you haven’t had good rice cooker rice so you don’t even know what you’re talking about.

I used to live with someone with a rice cooker and there was literally no difference other than it was harder to clean and took longer.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I can't wait for Perez to beat Max constantly.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

V for Vegans posted:

I’m glad I’ve finally reached the F1 right of passage of being a red Bull fan until they gently caress over a driver I like, so now who do I support instead and why is it Seb in an Aston Martin?

Oh gently caress I'm a fan of a red bull driver, this is a nightmare.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

V for Vegans posted:

Sucks to be you. Enjoy the three races before he starts getting roasted every race for being unable to drive the unstable shitbox of an F1 car redbull has built.

he is going to smash it, going to manage the gently caress out of those tyres.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Slotducks posted:

We're a McLaren household now.

Yeah the McLaren line up is extremely Good Lads.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

Honda backed talent seems to do well if they get support.

Kobayashi...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

Kamui never was a Honda guy to my knowledge.

You're right, he was a Toyota guy. Got it mixed up.

He had an awesome couple of races in Toyota and the rumour was their 2010 car was amazing but then they pulled out at the last minute.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

Lol, imagine defending this:

All of these things look delicious and the rest of the world is just jealous of our incredible idea of putting meat and gravy inside of pastry in every possible combination.

Our ability to over-engineer pastry and meat juices is almost certainly what has made us genetically predisposed to excelling in the production of overly engineered race cars.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... a yorkshire pudding stuffed and served like a taco, I watched a pigeon eating a discarded parmo off the pavement. All those moments gone now, like gravy... in rain. Time to pie.

*releases a sausages roll*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

Pietro Fittipaldi has updated his Twitter bio to now include Haas F1 Driver.

Could it really have happened? Is meat spin dead?

Haas is truly the gift that keeps on giving. I mean this doesn't top being sponsored by a drink that didn't exist but it's still entertaining.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

https://youtu.be/E4-8LgXjQbc

This has aged incredibly well, especially with us on the eve of Brexit

Opening your advert with several better looking cars is a bold move.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

how many races until he pulls ahead of verstappen in the driver slur championship

Pre-season testing.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Payndz posted:

A quick look at Wikipedia shows this egg-headed motherfucker to be a real charmer, and a mediocre driver to boot. How did he get a se-

Ah.

I mean it's Haas so it will turn out about 5 races in that this company has never actually existed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

My bold prediction: Lewis will force meatspin off track whole lapping him and meatspin will say the n word.

And/or

Meatspin senior will threaten to kill someone in the paddock.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Sulman posted:

Commentary wise I think it's an American thing that has crept into a lot of sports. British commentary was usually fairly subdued. Murray was unusual by those standards, if well-loved for it.

I think it's British commentators feeling they have to live up to Murray, instead of having their own personality and commentary style. This means they're all pair imitations of a mad man.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

1955 Le Man's is horrific and even if it's not 100% clear if Mike Hawthorn was at fault, the fact that Jaguar kept racing after Mercedes and Ferrari pulled out so that he could win is one of the most monstrous things about it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It is kind of mad how many wildly different body layouts there are.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Can't we have nothing but nonexistent energy drinks

Haas' livery next year is going to be those Wish adverts you get on facebook.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

They're not legally required but they absolutely will never ever miss an opportunity to use the title

Ugh good lord I just imagined Crofty saying "Sir Lewis Hamilton leads from pole" and I don't think I can stomach watching the 2021 season.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

:flashfap:

I also learnt today that we could have had a Sir Bernie, but he apparently turned it down.

Didn't he have to turn it down because there was a big stink over him basically bribing tony blair and he didn't want more attention on his finances?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I could put up with so much crofty bullshit if he wasn’t somehow sub 50% on guessing the right loving driver we’re watching. Fuckin Albon could be starting 15th with max on pole and he’d somehow call the lead redbull through turn 5 “albon”

Because max has already hit the wall

I mean you're lucky if he gets the team right. He definitely mixed up the Williams and Alpha Taurus about twice a race last season.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

You're all laughing at F1 relationship drama, but I'm laughing at Kvyat's terrible stemware

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

He will never be allowed to die

The immortal god-emperor of racing, kept alive in his mountain fortress in Switzerland.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

The British teams won’t 🤌🤌🤌🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

2005 US Grand Prix but for a whole season.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

He comes from a rich Spanish family so they are presumably unreconstructed fascists.

e: lol according to that thread they are backers of Vox so yes, full on nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Theophany posted:

Agreed OP, we should have 20 cars driven by Tony on a coke and bath salts bender.

You could make it like a greyhound race and stick his sister on a rail on the inside track for them to chase.