Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Please post any picture itt and I will put it in the op
We should all celebrate our most recent race-winner OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rebus posted:

It's because I'm poo poo at my job.
Have you considered hiring an ageing Spaniard to blame all the woes on the engine?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

07-12 was great.
Then the "bad tyres" race happened and idiots decided "there's a whole formula in that lads". Of course the teams adapted to the used pencil eraser tyres, and it became a tyre management formula and still is to this day, with a sprinkling of "also have the best engine because you don't wear tyres on a straight".

From the late 80s all the way to 2000 was also great.

Who knew the racing was more exciting when the drivers had to push the whole race to compete, instead of hitting a pace the computers say finishes the race the best for that circuit and surface?

It's entirely on pirelli that modern f1 sucks. The hybrids are fine.
It's no accident the best races are where tyre management mostly disappears, (safety cars etc) and cars race to the end.

Pirelli should be sent to the Hague.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The red bull driver program has produced 4 WDCs and 5 different race winners in F1 alone.
It looks rear end right now because 2 different drivers failed when promoted to the top level, leaving quite the gap. You can't just magic into existence more drivers-in-waiting, and it would be a much worse program if they instead had 'spare' of such that they held under contract and let go due to surplus.

It's a better system than waiting for a billionaire to have a failson who played F1 2016 and thought it looked like a fun hobby.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

your friend wicka posted:

The McLaren driver program has produced 7 WDCs.
Not for McLaren!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

That doesn’t sound nearly so impressive when you realise it was only one driver who did those 4, and then proceeded to get comprehensively pantsed by the new guy (ARE DAN) immediately after.
So you're saying the RBR immediately produced another driver who was competitive at the front of the grid?
Seems like this program is very sucky indeed

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

*COUGH*ferrari*COUGH*
I don't know if you're going for stupidest posts of the year, but you're high in the running here.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC about to have another 2 hour meltdown about a Jos mention.

BUCKLE UP!!! ! !

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Posting about posters
In the off-season thread, we go one level deeper.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

yeah i mean, when your teammate has a car failure twice in a season, and yours fails 6 times, just unlucky i guess. And then there’s our favourite red team who in the spirit of being non-discriminatory made a poo poo car for *both* of their multi-million-dollar drivers
Max's car has failed more than Albon's this year, so do you want to extrapolate your stupid hypothesis further?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

Big announcement guys, I'm dumping my iPhone X 256GB in Space Gray for a Samsung Galaxy S20+ 128GB in Cosmic Black.

Apple is officially dead.
It's looking up for you theo.
I see big things for you in this off-season.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

Max’s car failed a total of.... 2 times in the whole season, not including the puncture at Imola. The rest of the dnfs were because he binned it had an accident like the failson he is
So its only a partial conspiracy??
Why are you digging in this hole lmao
You couldn't prove you're more stupid, but you're trying.
You're at the intellectual level of the Hamilton stans who wanted a criminal investigation to determine whether Mercedes was biased towards Nico in 2016.
That's where you are right now. Pull up!!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo, there's a reason every household in Asia has a rice cooker. Rice cookers own but also Ferrari owns too just FYI.
The rice cookers used there, are all based on the same design that has worked flawlessly for decades. You can use simple physics (heat absorption) to determine when the rice is done. You can also use your eyeballs to determine the same thing, but it needs your attention which is why a rice cooker is used.

A fuzzy logic rice cooker is trying to do the same thing with "AI" that a school age child can flawlessly do in science class. Or, a simple magnetic switch can do precisely every time, forever.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The bowl inside of my rice cooker appears to be Teflon
This is loving HUGE news.

Silly season!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

-2 points to Sergio for not adding #Algon to his tweet

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

With Perez at RBR, Bottas will finish 4th in the WDC.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Diorama posted:

I posted about Albon in some kind of basketball thread. what a mixup
He's more likely to play basketball next year than be an F1 driver.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

i’m not the one doing the mental gymnastics here.
You're literally stating a conspiracy as fact my dude.
Pull up!! Pull up!!
Pull up so the 5G can't get you!!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I’m just asking for a YouTube link, I’ve never disputed it lmao
I gotchu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1L8x8Hifnk

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

your friend wicka posted:

This is gross but it's nowhere near as hosed up as cutting pork with scissors into a cold pan
I don't know, I think the 15,000 calorie salad is a worse crime than cutting something wrong, but then I'm not American.
I'm guessing this is just a usual Wednesday.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

The locals all know where the decent carvery is hidden, and let the tourists and middle classes eat in the pub that looks really really nice but is actually a overpriced Bass heritage pub so everything arrives frozen in a van and then reheated under a hot plate :colbert:
You can't put "decent" and "carvery" in the same goddamn sentence wtf LC

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jazzyhattrick posted:

Imagine if it was Crofty commentating.
*car runs over a mechanic*
Crofty: AND THEY'RE WHEEL TO HEEL!!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

Checking in to say Ferrari owns and the British people are so fat and lazy that they can’t even be bothered to do a proper trade agreement so they copied and pasted one from some word document they had saved from the 90s (or alternatively because the time Netscape was still relevant was the last time a new computer arrived in Britain, in which case good job on that level of forethought)

https://twitter.com/paulmaunders/status/1343143578147684357?s=20
Bringing back the '90s is really hot right now.
Get on-trend, Quid.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

can i poop on his plane?

this article has nothing of substance

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

marshalljim posted:

Even Khablam is not going to defend Max's taste in jets (that was a challenge).
It is?
Why all the pearls? Why all the hair? Why anything?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Is an 'air fryer' literally just a small convection oven?
Goons don't know what the scary big box in their kitchen does, so need ever more elaborate counter-top devices that do the same thing.
Top marks it if uses "AI fuzzy logic" to measure a binary state. The literal most stupid application of technology since juicero.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Phone posted:

rice cookers are not a kitchen gadget
Rice cookers were a solved issue many decades ago. You can use a magnet with a curie point of just over 100c to detect whether the rice is done
They all do the same thing
Can I heat this over 100c?
- yes, rice done
- no, rice not done

There's your 'fuzzy logic AI' that costs an extra $200. You can do the same thing with a $1 magnet.

Quid is just trolling the thread when he claims to own one, anyway. He just googled "expensive rice cooker". The chance captain bin tyres spends more on a rice cooker than he absolutely needs to is effectively zero.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I think you should probably read up on how fuzzy logic works because it’s literally the exact loving opposite of that lmao
Yes, their marketing is that stupid, you're right. They're advertising to idiots.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Phone posted:

wow look at mr "i watch technology connections on youtube" over here
I've already previously linked the video to explain why anyone who thinks you need something more complex is an idiot.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hmm seems like a simple on/off switch at 100c can’t do this?

The on/off switch units do steps 1, 2, 3, 4, and combine 5&6.
You simply stir the rice at the point it clicks back to warm from cook, and leave it 5-10mins depending on your taste.
When you hit the different options between hard/soft/etc on your AI enhanced ricebot 9000, it just picks a set point in that time window to claim it's done.

You can get the same results from a pan, $30 rice cooker or $300 rice cooker.

Now to be quite honest, the AI fuzzy logic magic will probably be more consistent if you're really stupid and can't measure your ratios properly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Imagine not using ZFS or unRAID for a multi-drive setup.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I don’t have to imagine, it’s real and it’s spectacular
While we’re at it, there are file systems for a reason in this world. Data stability, transfer rates, array growth. It’s not all a conspiracy to keep you in little boxes, alright? It’s only the miracle of parity-based file systems that means you’re not lying in your own poo poo, dying at 43 with rotten teeth

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

The original use of that quote is far better, especially in the age of tankies acting like we should just nuke our current economic model because they can’t live in downtown Vancouver/San Franscisco/London while not working at all.
I'm sorry if I didn't do it right and I'm sorry if you assume that I exclusively use linux and don't necessarily think Microsoft or NTFS are a bad thing, but if there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you save your files in, then what sort of a hippy post-for-all is this?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

Please refer to when I tried doing that and the ensuing collective meltdown this thread had over file systems.
You tried to do it wrong, and when it was explained to you why you were wrong, you proclaimed everyone else "a nerd" and ran away instead of trying to learn to do it better.
That's not a problem of our making.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

That’s some revisionist history there buddy. I did do it your way and it didn’t work. Sorry you were wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's not revisionist history, I have it noted down.
I tried to explain how you had been corrupted by Apple into thinking not understanding how something worked was a virtue, but you instead doubled-down on a pro-Apple stance.

Many here will understand why trying to help an Apple user on a technical matter is a fruitless experience, ironically.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I like how I bought a synology NAS and got it running perfectly, hell even got a VM running on it so I no longer need a windows PC anymore whatsoever and I’m the technically inept one because Microsoft refuses to shift away from NTFS lmao.
It was your router that couldn't read exFAT, because why would it need to???
Oh right, because Apple use their own system and won't work with other systems, so you need exFAT as a ginger-headed stepchild to pass between them.

It's not Windows' fault your drive was formatted wrong.

Most people ITT want an unRAID setup running on a $100 re-purposed old desktop. It's absolutely the best solution.
Synology are great but you're just paying extra for the custom hardware.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

SHR isn’t an industry standard
Literally because it's propriatary. The clue is in the name.

Arguing the solution to issues caused by different proprietary filesystems, is another different proprietary filesystem, is the logic that gets you 100 different standards for anything.

The solution is (open)ZFS, which does everything you like SHR for, but isn't proprietary.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nah it doesn't, it needs maybe 250mb for good performance. If you're getting to insane levels of I/O you do need a GB, but in that case a synology isn't helping you anyway.
8Gb will cover you for almost any use case and cost you $30.

The whole idea of building your own server is, that for the same price as a pre-fab, you're getting better performance, lower cost, or more storage (pick 2).
A pre-fab NAS has zero route to upgrade the hardware, and is the worst of all 3.

They are however not a massive cost overall and they work for most people.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

madsushi posted:

What's more reliable, Khablam's home-built server or Max's RB16?

I've rebooted it fewer times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Has Stroll done something horribly offensive I don't know about? I thought his main issue was that he was a mediocre driver who just has a seat because he made his dad buy a racing team.
Have you seen his face OP