Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoubleNegative posted:

Old lamps for new! Old lamps... for new!
It has always really bothered me that he says "old lamps for new" when he so very obviously should be saying "new lamps for old". The way he says it implies that if you give him a new lamp he'll give you an old one in exchange when, in fact, the opposite is true.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The portrait is the Crystal Exarch from FFXIV, and he is extremely the kind of guy who would write this kind of poetry about the player character.
What portrait? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Tiggum posted:

It has always really bothered me that he says "old lamps for new" when he so very obviously should be saying "new lamps for old". The way he says it implies that if you give him a new lamp he'll give you an old one in exchange when, in fact, the opposite is true.

What portrait? :confused:
I suppose that depends on your interpretation. It could be taken either way, but yes, most people would read it as you said.

And I meant character portrait, ie. the headshot at the start of those lines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it depends on if you read his line as an offer or as an imperative.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

III - Prince Salamander of Pagentry

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 20, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Water's so unsafe in Sierra games you'd figure their protagonists were water-soluble.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can you get drunk on the mints?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

DoubleNegative posted:

If you've played this game, then you can't sit there and tell me with a straight face that you never did this. Anyway, we need to trade something valuable to Hakim. The only remotely valuable thing we have possession of is our insignia ring, so...

Every. Single. Time. On every portrait. Everyone got crowned at one point or another.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Lucas Archer posted:

Every. Single. Time. On every portrait. Everyone got crowned at one point or another.

Bregor posted:

This is the correct way to play KQVI.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Space Kablooey posted:

Can you get drunk on the mints?

You can if you're a genie apparently

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God the voice-acting for that scene was hysterical.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

PurpleXVI posted:

Water's so unsafe in Sierra games you'd figure their protagonists were water-soluble.

I dunno, the Of Daventry family were able to swim just fine in pre-KQ5 games. Except for the moat, of course.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoubleNegative posted:

According to the wiki there are other voiced lines between Lady Tremaine and this unnamed girl Belle here. I've literally never seen them in my life, and I've played this game through to completion more times than I'm comfortable admitting. So I'm just gonna put them here.
: You'll never see those extra conversations! Nyah nyah nyah!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DoubleNegative posted:

The narrator also pronounced Manannan "Man-an-in" instead of "Muh-nan-in" so I'm learning all sorts of things today.

I'm pretty sure it's suppsed to be pronounced as Manannán mac Lir, the ancient Irish sea deity. Example at (11:05 is good, but there are many others in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNkWNetj0A&t=665s

So mah - nah - non.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

IV - Alexander Pulls Out His Magic Map

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 22, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I never knew the game had a "long" and "short" ending. I assume you'll elaborate on the two potential paths when we get to where they diverge.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I never knew the game had a "long" and "short" ending. I assume you'll elaborate on the two potential paths when we get to where they diverge.

Yeah, I do a good bit of discussing the different paths at and even past the divergence point. I'm pretty sure even in the final update during the ending stuff I actually am still discussing differences.

Though I want to put it out here now ahead of time: I'm not showing off the short ending path. The puzzles aren't very fun and involve hiding from guards while they patrol around. There's also very little that's unique to it instead of being shared with the long path.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Jollo rules. Fight me.

Also can’t wait to get into the meat of the game... :getin:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The last time I played this, I hit the point where I really couldn't find anything to do other than the aforementioned guard-dodging. I imagine I probably missed something that locked me into that route, and upon thinking about it further, I don't think I ever showed this man the insignia ring, so that might've been it!

Very curious to see how this goes, though I might start playing along before you really get into the meat of the long ending, just so I can try out the puzzles myself.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I've played this game backwards and forwards and have never actually done the short path. Its so easy to lock yourself into the long one by accident, and honestly its the easier path since there's no timed puzzles.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
From a longplay of Kings Quest 6; the best of jollo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxBD9ehcPg

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

V - A Fifteen Year-old Roleplayer

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 25, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can finally link this stupid thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDOavWuNMM

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Out of curiosity, if you don't have the necessary tools for the senses, could you use the magic map to beat a hasty retreat, or are you just stuck?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:eng101: the technically correct sentence would be "To where are you going?" :reject:

The Isle of Wonder is the place where Roberta Williams' baleful influence did the most damage.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Out of curiosity, if you don't have the necessary tools for the senses, could you use the magic map to beat a hasty retreat, or are you just stuck?

Yep, you can use the magic map to retreat at any time. So you're not locked into this set of puzzles!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

DoubleNegative posted:

Yep, you can use the magic map to retreat at any time. So you're not locked into this set of puzzles!

Another incredibly kind, out of character gesture by this game. Seriously, after going through the gauntlet that was KQ5, this game is a teddy bear by comparison. It still has a couple of pretty big gently caress you moments though, I think, but nothing like the bullshit "oh you threw the pie instead of the shoe 10 hours ago? You hosed up, restart".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ah man I remember the gnomes. Not fondly, but I do remember them!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoubleNegative posted:

In the strictest linguistic sense, "where are you going" is an incomplete sentence. In any other context, it is a perfectly cromulent sentence asking a fully complete thought. Also the missing word "to" just sounds weird. Try asking it out loud. "Where are you going to?" It sounds like you're a fifteen year old roleplayer trying to sound smarter than you really are.
This is the one thing in the entire game that stands out most in my memory just because of how infuriatingly dumb it is.

The best thing about these videos is the merchant shopkeeper correcting Alexander every time. :allears:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Blastinus posted:

What's really nice is that all the items except the last ones are either not used up or infinitely gettable

edit: the blind playthrough I'm watching now the LPer was too young to remember invisible ink being a thing and still maintains its the stupidest puzzle in the game. She will change her mind shortly I'm sure.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 23, 2020

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Ah man I remember the gnomes. Not fondly, but I do remember them!

I remember as an eight-year-old being so drat stoked when my friend and I realised how to get past those drat gnomes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What's really nice is that all the items except the last ones are either not used up or infinitely gettable

edit: the blind playthrough I'm watching now the LPer was too young to remember invisible ink being a thing and still maintains its the stupidest puzzle in the game. She will change her mind shortly I'm sure.

I remember thinking the ink was pretty dumb when I went through the first time. The description doesn't really signpost its nature very well, so I just figured "ink bottle that looks empty but sloshes faintly when shaken = ink bottle that's almost empty, ok."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

I remember thinking the ink was pretty dumb when I went through the first time. The description doesn't really signpost its nature very well, so I just figured "ink bottle that looks empty but sloshes faintly when shaken = ink bottle that's almost empty, ok."
Your figure out what it is through experimentation (which OP didn't show off*). Another way in which the game is far more merciful than KQ5 and doesn't use up items.

(Edit - whoops. Turns out that searching the LP for "ink" doesn't help when old updates have been moved to the screenshot test poster site)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 24, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

OP did show it off, but yeah I got the ink mainly due to having seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit where invisible ink was a plot point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

VI - A Purple Fiddlewhacker

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 27, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know if nothing else I do appreciate the puns. But I'm probably alone in that. :v:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The puns are the best part of the game hands down. If you're not here for those what else are you here for?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There are puns, and there are Puns. These ones are very high quality in their awfulness :v: (I think the spelling bees are my favourite)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

VII - It's Hardly Bath Water

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 28, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

VII - It's Hardly Bath Water

So, you found my dangling participle! I suppose I'll have to give you something. Let's see now, was it a rare book you wanted?
Yes, sir.
Well, then none of THESE will do. They've been sitting in the sun far too long and must be well-cooked by now.

Ahahahah :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I always thought they were trying a bit hard with the Dangling Participle jokes.