Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To some extent I think KQVI benefits from extremely rose-colored glasses. "One of the best Sierra adventure games" is not very high praise. Still, it's charming as gently caress and it's easy to see why so many people have such nostalgia for it despite its shortcomings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it depends on if you read his line as an offer or as an imperative.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What's really nice is that all the items except the last ones are either not used up or infinitely gettable

edit: the blind playthrough I'm watching now the LPer was too young to remember invisible ink being a thing and still maintains its the stupidest puzzle in the game. She will change her mind shortly I'm sure.

I remember thinking the ink was pretty dumb when I went through the first time. The description doesn't really signpost its nature very well, so I just figured "ink bottle that looks empty but sloshes faintly when shaken = ink bottle that's almost empty, ok."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh, the labyrinth is a hell of a lot bigger than I remember.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

Copy protection varied a lot over time. Some companies used things like code wheels, so if you wanted to copy them, you'd have to pull them apart, copy each part, cut them out, and pin them together (and reassemble the original). Others spread the information throughout the manual, so you'd need to copy the entire book to have all the necessary information. (The King's Quest and Space Quest collections included sheets with all of the words that could be asked for - because the lists they printed in the collection manuals were missing some.) I've seen sheets that required a red filter to read, which would require you to copy the whole thing by hand. The funny thing is that King's Quest VI was well into the CD era, when copy protection started to go out of style again, because there were no practical CD copying devices for consumers. At this point, I don't think putting required information in the manual was as much a deterrent to copying as it was the style of the genre. Space Quest 6 wasn't supposed to have copy protection, as I understand it - the clues to solve a puzzle were removed in an editing pass, so the information had to be added to the package as a separate item.

I just liked reading the guidebook, and then seeing those puzzles and recognizing them as something I'd seen was really neat. I never noticed the map - I just mapped it myself by hand.

I never ran into any that needed a filter, but some games went the other way: the copy protected info was visible to the naked eye, but printed on low contrast backgrounds that black & white copiers would render illegible. The old Wizardry games used dark red paper for the list of what the nonsense spell names actually did, for example (you could figure them out by trial & error, but there were a couple that had disastrous effects if you blindly tried them in the wrong context.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Outpost22 posted:

Is this where you're also supposed to figure out which lamp belongs to the genie?

Yup. It's a good thing Prince Alexander has cutscene vision or he'd be hosed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

So I played this as a kid, and eventually had to rely on a walk through book (I think it came with the game, had a cool red filter thing to hide the answers.) I did not realise at all that there were two paths, and I'm desperately trying to remember which path I took.

The next section is extremely memorable and 100% exclusive to the long path, so it should be easy to figure out depending on whether or not you recognize the next few updates.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Outpost22 posted:

Hmm I guess you do need the maidens clothes in the long path, just not as a disguise. Or maybe Alexander is in to that sort of thing, I won't kink shame.

Now that I think about it, didn't Roger Wilco also dress in women's clothes in the Space Quest game that came out around this games release?

They're not "needed" per se, they just get used up automatically to lock you out of the short route (and get you a hair if you missed it.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

The bone xylophone was and is a supreme dick move. "I forgot what" much younger me screamed when I played this game last.

My first two thoughts when I got to this screen as a kid were

1. I want that key
2. I want to play those bones like a xylophone

so this wasn't really an issue for me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

May I direct your attention to this site which seems to be a comprehensive "the many deaths of Alexander" guide.

I was flipping through the deaths because I vaguely remembered the Lord of the Dead killing you if you linger too long (he does), and found this little snippet if you fail the Gate's riddle:

Which definitely seems to be pointing at the page clipping from the black widow's web as a clue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blastinus posted:

Actually, if I remember right, they're completely fine afterwards, despite Alexander dying instantly if he takes one in the kisser. Curious...

Then again, this update also features Saladin killing him with the most casual sword thrusts known to dog or man, so maybe Alexander's just made of plywood.

it turns out the Lord of the Dead's touch doesn't actually have any special powers, Alex is just so fragile that he can be skeletonized by brushing his cheek casually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Makes me wonder if the short path credits tell you about the long path?

I would assume so. It seems silly that the more content-complete version tells you "hey, there's a tiny bit of content you missed" but the route that misses out on even more doesn't.