Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Some random recollections of playing KQVI in the early 90s:

-My first KQs were 4 and 5. This title was heavily anticipated and really did represent Sierra at their greatest heights. Its contemporaries were QG3 (and later 4) and SQ4, both extremely solid titles. GK1 and QG4 would follow a year later and were also truly excellent. It's weird to think now how deeply adventure games dominated the PC market at the time. They may have continued to do so if DOOM hadn't struck it so big.

-Sierra was *so proud* of the fact that they recorded an actual soft rock track for this game, Girl in the Tower. It was included in the game and was heavily featured in all of their demos and promotional materials. As a kid at the time, it really was mindblowing and they were right to tout it (never mind that the actual track was terrible). The track took up a significant portion of the memory required for this game. Speaking of which...

-The original DOS distribution for this game came on something like 12 3.5" disks. A full install that included the opening FMV took up 21 MB. I remember this well because my hard drive at the time had a 40 MB capacity. This, MSDOS, and Windows 3.1 would take up the grand majority of my hard drive space. It was extremely common to install and uninstall games as you were playing them. You could also do a partial install that skipped the FMV and came in at under 10 MB if I recall correctly.

-The copy protection was pretty well-implemented and felt like a good puzzle at the time. But I'll leave the details to the OP :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Jolene posted:

My greatest secret is that I unironically love Girl in the Tower. I just dig it.

It is both catchy and terrible.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

I always thought they were trying a bit hard with the Dangling Participle jokes.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

I seem to recall a point in my life circa middle school when I could complete the entire catacombs with no deaths and no incidental saves. I was *proud* of this at the time.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

The maiden's clothes thing really confused my younger self. I didn't realize that you didn't even need them. In an adventure game. The genre where you take anything not nailed down.

Not sure you're correct there.

They're useful in both paths in different ways if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Thanks for the LP!