Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
King's Quest VI is the game that really got me into the Sierra library, which might not have been the best way to start, since as you said, this is one of the more user-friendly games in the series. Trying to go back to the text parsers was not the most pleasant experience, especially when you're 7 years old and have no idea what word they're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Ah yes, the shopkeeper who seems to be ethically opposed to actually making money. I suppose it's convenient that you can swap out any trinket you want though. An older game in the series would have let you throw away your money on something worthless and then not tell you until an hour later.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

PurpleXVI posted:

Water's so unsafe in Sierra games you'd figure their protagonists were water-soluble.

I dunno, the Of Daventry family were able to swim just fine in pre-KQ5 games. Except for the moat, of course.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Out of curiosity, if you don't have the necessary tools for the senses, could you use the magic map to beat a hasty retreat, or are you just stuck?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I like to assume that the book of spells has more than just three, but it only shows the pertinent ones in order to avoid red herrings. Alternatively, this particular wizard just really enjoyed rain for some reason.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

PurpleXVI posted:

The noble prince, getting random people into fights so he can loot the stuff they throw at each other. :v:

Also, making babies cry so he can steal their tears. All in a day's work for an adventure game protagonist.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
It wouldn't be the first time in Sierra's history that a generally lighthearted game had one horror-themed area in it. Space Quest 4 comes immediately to mind, which is especially a problem for that game because its bleakest section also happens to be the start of the game.

I never got very far in SQ4 as a kid.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Speaking of the guards' poor equipment, whose idea was it to give them only one spear and one shield to share between them? Someone really needs to talk to this kingdom about their defense budget.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I'm pretty iffy on scenes in adventure games that kill you for walking into them. Obviously you're supposed to save early, save often, but it still feels like a cheap shot.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Bregor posted:

It's also extremely generous that the game gives you two gulps of the "DRINK ME" bottle. I feel like previous games you'd drink the whole thing once, have to noodle it out, then re-load a save before you chugged it the first time.

Also I can't wait for the long ending content :black101:

Yeah, the genie's bottle in King's Quest 5 only lets you know what it does by having you use it and die. A lot of items are like that in KQ5, or the game lets you use them in the wrong place, and it's just downright evil.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
It's actually kind of wild how much the two paths differ. They both come together to the same end, but there's so much potentially skippable content and I've never seen another adventure game try this kind of storytelling.

Except maybe for the Quest for Glory games, but they're designed around the idea of diverging character builds, so they have to write alternatives to accommodate your playstyle.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Crossdressing humor was prevalent in the 90's, mostly just a source of immature cheap laughs than any sign of progressivism. Alexander's voice actor even does the exaggerated high-pitched falsetto.

The 90's, especially for gaming, was a period that was really insecure about masculinity. Some might say that the games industry still is.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That's neat, I'd never seen the guard dog deaths before I figured it was just a looped animation forever.

Actually, if I remember right, they're completely fine afterwards, despite Alexander dying instantly if he takes one in the kisser. Curious...

Then again, this update also features Saladin killing him with the most casual sword thrusts known to dog or man, so maybe Alexander's just made of plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Congrats on the finished LP! And yeah, Girl in the Tower is cheesy, but it's a fun, earnest kind of cheesy. The King's Quest series was Sierra trying to create legitimately serious and artistic stories. Sometimes hit or miss, but it's nice to see stuff made with barely a trace of irony or cynicism.