Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oh this is great, one of my favorite Sierra games! My little sister is doing a blind LP of this right now and as a result I've found a few weird bugs/tricks that I'll mention as we get closer to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Can you get drunk on the mints?

You can if you're a genie apparently

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I never knew the game had a "long" and "short" ending. I assume you'll elaborate on the two potential paths when we get to where they diverge.

I've played this game backwards and forwards and have never actually done the short path. Its so easy to lock yourself into the long one by accident, and honestly its the easier path since there's no timed puzzles.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Out of curiosity, if you don't have the necessary tools for the senses, could you use the magic map to beat a hasty retreat, or are you just stuck?

What's really nice is that all the items except the last ones are either not used up or infinitely gettable

edit: the blind playthrough I'm watching now the LPer was too young to remember invisible ink being a thing and still maintains its the stupidest puzzle in the game. She will change her mind shortly I'm sure.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 23, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The puns are the best part of the game hands down. If you're not here for those what else are you here for?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Blastinus posted:

I like to assume that the book of spells has more than just three, but it only shows the pertinent ones in order to avoid red herrings. Alternatively, this particular wizard just really enjoyed rain for some reason.

The wizard was a stardew fanatic obviously.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So a fun way to get stuck is to try the teacup on the swamp and then leave the screen. If you do that and then try and give the log the tomato it won't accept it. You have to start the whole stupid conversation over via the teacup to progress.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So fun thing I found out recently. A) there's a speedrunning community for this game because of course there is B) they recently figured out that in the next section you can hold down alt and walk straight through the tile puzzle

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The floor solution AND an unmarked map of the catacombs are in the manual.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Quackles posted:

Man, who knew that Alexander would visit somewhere out in the Styx like this? :v:

:golfclap:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It won't let you try most of them actually.

edit: The narrator just says "The lord of the dead is unlikely to be moved by that"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Snorb posted:

Was giving the handkerchief to Ali (the ghost, not the bookshop owner) optional? I could have sworn you needed to do that so he'd tell you about the secret passage behind the armor.

It is not optional, and if for some reason you can't figure out that you need to give the ghost kid the ghost mom's handkerchief his crying will eventually draw the guards. Trying to bother the suit of armor doesn't work otherwise.

edit: Apparently you can give the mint to the man in black before you fake your death, and he stumbles off wasted. Not sure if that makes him gently caress off permanently and puts you in an awkward position re: endgame. He might come back after awhile but I'm too lazy to keep walking around waiting to test it.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 21, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

The KQ2 remake devs tried to take the plot point about "The Society of the Black Cloak" and stretch it so that its members include every evil sorcerer a member of the Daventry Royal Family meets. That includes the gingerbread witch and Hagatha from the first two KQ games.

Also fun fact: Cassima's italicized dialogue in the update up above is stuff she can actually say if the circumstances of meeting her are different! There's also alternate dialogue for walking past her crying hole in the wall and getting Abdul's letter first. Though it's just shock and then anger and then "you should hold onto this it looks important."

Kind of makes me wonder if they were going for something like W.I.T from qfg2

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The background spirits reactions were a bit over the top, that was the only flaw.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That's neat, I'd never seen the guard dog deaths before I figured it was just a looped animation forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

lol so I mentioned at the start of the thread my sister was LPing this, and she just finished recently, but didn't do quite as well. I got a text "hey I got the right lamp finally and finished the game" so I start saying things like "oh blah blah your family and all the other island rulers" etc, and it turns out she save scummed the lamp situation, and then after all that work fed the genie mint at the top of the stairs. I'm going to make fun of her about this for years.