Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

This was, oddly enough, the one King's Quest I'm not sure if I ever finished. Managed to struggle through the parsers of 1-4 and the inanity of 5, but I vaguely recall not being able to figure out which of the eponymous "Isles" (plural) I was supposed to go next.

So, uh, you just gonna ignore that dude in the black robe? He's probably not as creepy as he seems...or he's going to straight up shank you for interrupting his reading - either way, we should be friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Is it possible to skip the Maze Floor / copy protection room? Looks like you could go around, but not sure if there's something hidden about it that I missed.

Of course, there's no drat way you'd get through the Cliffs of Antitheft Logic without already having the manual, so doesn't really matter, just wondering.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

I think you're misreading the map. You have to pass through that room to get to the shield room and beyond.
Oooh, yeah, good call. I was missing the fact that the map doesn't include a southern green mark in the room west of Maze. I was thinking you could start at Enter and go west-west, then just all the way north all the way to Shield, but it seems like that route is blocked.

As someone who was a kid in this era (old enough to remember stuff, but too young to really understand stuff about business/etc), I've always wondered whether this copy protection actually had value though. Disks were obviously easy to copy, you could borrow software from friends, and I vaguely remember you could even rent software from the library. So from a technical aspect, I understand why you'd want some kind of way to prevent theft or 'borrowing'...but in all these cases you have a physical copy in your hands at some point, so wouldn't you also just be able to copy the protection sheet from the manual?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

Ashens had a talk about game piracy in the 80's, and he capped it off by showing some types of present copy protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd60nCBygg&t=1772s

The copy protection talk starts at 29:32 but the whole thing is worth a watch.
Thanks! This is a really interesting talk, really appreciate it. :)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

There's a game over you can get here that I only just learned about literally tonight. If you wait too long, Charon will leave and you get killed and then punished with an especially bad pun. To get that, you'd have to be really ignorant of mythology because everyone and their grandmother knows what to do here.
Hey now, you can't tease us like this and not mention what the terrible pun is.

Quackles posted:

Man, who knew that Alexander would visit somewhere out in the Styx like this? :v:
A+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Shepard's Name: Molly is actually good
Shepard's Appearance: Just something that doesn't look like poo poo. As you said, it's strangely easy to make a weird uncanny-valley character here so just please something that's not horrific - IIRC the presets were all fairly decent?
Shepard's Job: Sentinel would be interesting just because it shows off basically everything in the game except weapon types (which can be useful but aren't exactly thrilling)
Shepard's History: Spacer simply to show off something different than from your test post
Shepard's Profile: Ruthless, both because of that same reason and because femshep just takes no crap