Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

“I think you must buy this game!” — Yoko Taro

From the mind of George Kamitani comes the biggest and most complicated science fiction clusterfuck ever witnessed by man. Thirteen teenagers, thirteen giant robots, and one frankly *ridiculously* complicated mystery waiting to be unraveled that will make your head spin.

I’m really not sure where to even begin with this game, because anything I could say would be both a spoiler and woefully incomplete. There’s huge reveals that take place within the first two minutes that I’m loath to give away, not because it’s a huge deal to let them slip but because I feel it’s important to take this game in with as little foreknowledge as possible. Letting the insanity wash over you is part of the core experience here, and I’m not willing to ruin that. So what can I talk about? Not much, but I can try!

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim was released November 28, 2019 in Japan and September 22, 2020 worldwide for the PlayStation 4. It’s the latest game from Vanillaware, who are known for their gorgeous 2D animated artwork with games like Odin Sphere and Dragon’s Crown, and this game does not disappoint there. Vanillaware is best known for making action games, but 13 Sentinels is an odd beast in their ensemble, being basically just a visual novel with light adventure game elements crossed with a strategy game.

As for the story, it’s told in a non-linear fashion so as to be the most confusing thing in the world to try to unravel. Add to this the large number of playable characters, each with their own interwoven stories and layers upon layers of insane reveals, and we’ve got the ingredients for a massive pile of nonsense. You’re gonna wanna take notes here, is what I’m saying. I certainly will be.

And because there’s a ton of reveals, I’m going to have to warn you all now that this is a strictly no-spoiler thread. Don’t hint, don’t intimate, don’t even tag. If we haven’t seen it, don’t mention it. Unfortunately, because of the way this game is structured it’s probably going to be a nightmare trying to figure out what we have and haven’t seen or put together yet, but please try nevertheless.

I really love this game, and I’m excited to share it with all of you (though I’m hopeful that at least a few of you will pick it up yourselves upon seeing me evangelize about it).

(Note about the table of contents: do not, under any circumstances, try to view these scenes in character order instead of the given chapter order. You're just going to spoil yourself and make this whole thing even more confusing in fantastic new ways it wasn't supposed to be. Just read them in chapter order, thank you)

Chapter 1: Juro Kurabe 1
Chapter 2: Iori Fuyusaka 1
Chapter 3: Takatoshi Hijiyama 1
Chapter 4: Natsuno Minami 1
Chapter 5: Megumi Yakushiji 1
Chapter 6: Shu Amiguchi 1
Chapter 7: Ei Sekigahara 1
Chapter 8: Juro Kurabe 2
Chapter 9: Natsuno Minami 2
Chapter 10: Yuki Takamiya 1
Chapter 11: Ei Sekigahara 2
Chapter 12: Iori Fuyusaka 2
Chapter 13: Destruction 0
Chapter 14: Destruction 1
Chapter 15: Shu Amiguchi 2
Chapter 16: Keitaro Miura 1
Chapter 17: Megumi Yakushiji 2
Chapter 18: Megumi Yakushiji 2.5
Chapter 19: Yuki Takamiya 2
Chapter 20: Tomi Kisaragi 1
Chapter 21: Juro Kurabe 3
Chapter 22: Destruction 2
Chapter 23: Natsuno Minami 3
Chapter 24: Natsuno Minami 4
Chapter 25: Ei Sekigahara 3
Chapter 26: Megumi Yakushiji 3
Chapter 27: Destruction 3
Chapter 28: Tomi Kisaragi 2
Chapter 29: Nenji Ogata 1
Chapter 30: Nenji Ogata 2
Chapter 31: Nenji Ogata 3
Chapter 32: Nenji Ogata 4
Chapter 33: Nenji Ogata 5
Chapter 34: Ryoko Shinonome 1
Chapter 35: Keitaro Miura 2
Chapter 36: Keitaro Miura 3
Chapter 37: Iori Fuyusaka 3
Chapter 38: Shu Amiguchi 3
Chapter 39: Takatoshi Hijiyama 2
Chapter 40: Destruction 4
Chapter 41: Juro Kurabe 4
Chapter 42: Tomi Kisaragi 3
Chapter 43: Yuki Takamiya 3
Chapter 44: Ryoko Shinonome 2
Chapter 45: Megumi Yakushiji 4
Chapter 46: Megumi Yakushiji 4.5
Chapter 47: Keitaro Miura 4
Chapter 48: Ei Sekigahara 4
Chapter 49: Destruction 5
Chapter 50: Ryoko Shinonome 3
Chapter 51: Shu Amiguchi 4
Chapter 52: Juro Kurabe 5
Chapter 53: Iori Fuyusaka 4
Chapter 54: Renya Gouto 1
Chapter 55: Takatoshi Hijiyama 3
Chapter 56: Tomi Kisaragi 4
Chapter 57: Natsuno Minami 5
Chapter 58: Yuki Takamiya 4
Chapter 59: Ryoko Shinonome 4
Chapter 60: Megumi Yakushiji 5
Chapter 61: Destruction 6
Chapter 62: Keitaro Miura 5
Chapter 63: Juro Kurabe 6
Chapter 64: Shu Amiguchi 5
Chapter 65: Tomi Kisaragi 5
Chapter 66: Nenji Ogata 6
Chapter 67: Ei Sekigahara 5
Chapter 68: Iori Fuyusaka 5
Chapter 69: Yuki Takamiya 5
Chapter 70: Ryoko Shinonome 5
Chapter 71: Destruction 7
Chapter 72: Shu Amiguchi 6
Chapter 73: Juro Kurabe 7
Chapter 74: Tomi Kisaragi 6
Chapter 75: Keitaro Miura 6
Chapter 76: Nenji Ogata 7
Chapter 77: Destruction 8
Chapter 78: Natsuno Minami 6
Chapter 79: Ryoko Shinonome 6
Chapter 80: Yuki Takamiya 6
Chapter 81: Iori Fuyusaka 6
Chapter 82: Natsuno Minami 7
Chapter 83: Nenji Ogata 8 (FINAL)
Chapter 84: Destruction 9
Chapter 85: Juro Kurabe 8
Chapter 86: Ryoko Shinonome 7
Chapter 87: Keitaro Miura 7
Chapter 88: Takatoshi Hijiyama 4
Chapter 89: Ei Sekigahara 6
Chapter 90: Destruction 10
Chapter 91: Tomi Kisaragi 7
Chapter 92: Takatoshi Hijiyama 5
Chapter 93: Juro Kurabe 9 (FINAL)
Chapter 94: Iori Fuyusaka 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 95: Megumi Yakushiji 6
Chapter 96: Destruction 11
Chapter 97: Shu Amiguchi 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 98: Yuki Takamiya 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 99: Takatoshi Hijiyama 6
Chapter 100: Renya Gouto 2
Chapter 101: Ei Sekigahara 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 102: Renya Gouto 3
Chapter 103: Tomi Kisaragi 8 (FINAL)
Chapter 104: Renya Gouto 4
Chapter 105: Destruction 12
Chapter 106: Megumi Yakushiji 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 107: Renya Gouto 5
Chapter 108: Ryoko Shinonome 8 (FINAL)
Chapter 109: Natsuno Minami 8 (FINAL)
Chapter 110: Destruction 13
Chapter 111: Keitaro Miura 8 (FINAL)
Chapter 112: Renya Gouto 6
Chapter 113: Takatoshi Hijiyama 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 114: Renya Gouto 7 (FINAL)
Chapter 115: Destruction 14 (FINAL)
Chapter 116: Final Preparations
Chapter 117: The Final Battle
Chapter 118: Escape (mildly :nws:)
Chapter 119: Epilogue
Chapter 120: The End Is Never The End

And one bonus update for the road:

Bonus: Unraveling The Puzzle

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:siren: DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE LP :siren:

The Story So Far (Updated to Chapter 95)

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 26, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Brat Overflow (Hitoshi Sakimoto) (Listen to this)

I debated whether or not to include the music in this LP because there’s quite a lot of it, but I ultimately caved because it’s all just so good. It’s composed by members of Hitoshi Sakimoto’s independent production company Basiscape. You might be familiar with Sakimoto as the composer behind Final Fantasy XII and Valkyria Chronicles. He also did another Vanillaware title, Odin Sphere. He does some work on this game as well, but most of it isn’t him personally (though this track is). It’s all stellar though; if you were worried that the quality or feel might vary too much due to the number of composers, you shouldn’t be. This is legitimately one of my new favorite game soundtracks. Basiscape rules.

I feel the need to credit the other amazing composers who worked on this game, so here’s all their names: Kazuki Higashihara, Yoshimi Kudo, Rikako Watanabe, Kikuchi Yukinori, Mitsuhiro Kaneda, and Azusa Chiba. I’ll include a credit after each track so you can know who did what.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic preventing in-person recording, the English dub had to be recorded remotely and added in with a free day one patch. It’s still fantastic.

Music: KAIJU (Kazuki Higashihara)

A teenage boy is running against the tide of people… He sees something ahead of him, and stops.

Another teenager, a girl this time, is also running toward the source of the danger.

She stops in the middle of the road.

She lifts her skirt and swipes the skin, revealing a glowing blue “START” logo.

And then, out of nowhere, a giant robot crashes into the street behind her, shattering the glass windows all around it.

The girl is enveloped by a blue glow and disappears, and the robot activates…

The boy runs up, seeing the robot stand tall…

(It’s really happening… Just as you said.)

(So we’ll do what we have to do. Get in the robots and fight. Our fate was sealed a long time ago.)

Music: (VALINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

What the… Where did my clothes go?

Straight to the important questions with this one.

Warning: Deimos signatures approaching. Enemy in range.
Was that… my voice? It’s like hearing myself talking in my head…
Preparing to intercept. Initiating tactical analysis.

A giant creature, towering above the skyline, approaches.

It-It’s coming this way! Ohhh… How do I move this thing!?

Gouto-senpai? What are you…?
Why are you in Sekigahara’s Sentinel?
Senpai… Are you like Ei-kun, too? Did you come from the future?

I’m sorry, what? We’re jumping right in it, aren’t we?

We can discuss that later. Do you understand the situation we’re in? That area is under attack by D-forces.
I came here to fight! But… I don’t know how to control any of this. And this robot’s not making a peep…
No time for a full rundown. We’ll have to settle for the fundamentals. Sentinels are made to be controlled with your mind. Think of it as another body connected to your brain. Try to direct it. You can do it.

That’s the link system of the nanomachines inside your brain. You’ll also have a direct feed of information from the Sentinel’s sensors. It should sound like your own voice is speaking directly to you. For now, you’ll just have to get used to it as you fight. …Can you move?
Y-Yes! I can walk, Senpai.
They’re coming closer.

That’s your equipment interface. Use that to neutralize the D-forces in front of you.
I dunno if I’m doing this right, but… How’s this!?

All right, let’s select Iori…

And once we’ve done that, select “Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons” from the Action menu.

They’re wiped out easily.

Slow down. Different combat situations might call for different weapons. If they’re all concentrated in one area, you could use a wide-impact armament like the rocket launchers.
What? What!? Uh, okay, rocket launchers…? Where’s the rocket launcher button?
Check your display… The rig is on your shoulders. Focus on them.
My shoulders… Is this how I do it…?

And they’re all gone.

A massive kaiju is approaching from behind.

Fuyusaka-kun! No. 15’s taken damage to the rear exhaust system…

Another Sentinel’s been transmitted behind you, Fuyusaka-kun. But who is it…?

Moving to cover Fuyusaka-san.

Don’t worry, you get used to the teenagers all being naked while piloting the giant robots. Small consolation, I know.

Kurabe…? What are you doing here?
I can’t let this turn out like Sector 3.
Izumi…? No, there’s no way his memory could have returned…

What the gently caress!? We've got time travel and amnesiacs? Already????

I remember… doing this in my dreams… I think I can do this.
Wait until we call for backup, Izumi!
My name… is Juro Kurabe.

Juro punches the robot, knocking it away and destroying it.

But how…?

Okay, maybe hold back with the praise there Gouto. All he did was punch it twice.

Chapter 1: Juro Kurabe 1

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe) (Listen to this)

Juro looks around.

What is going on?

Shiba-kun…

Like something’s off.
What the…
Going to school, living my life… It’s like I’m not supposed to be here.
You’ve seen too many movies, man.

“Consider” is just a stellar verb for this. A+ job there.

(But he’s a good friend. I always talk to him about action flicks.)

Thanks for letting me borrow it.
Already? I just lent it to you yesterday! You wasted no time!
Can you blame me? Giant robots, fights in the city… I was on the edge of my seat!
*chuckle* You sure love mecha, don’tcha, Juro?

Use Video Tape on Kyuta Shiba

Let me know if you have any others to recommend.
Sure, yeah.

Do you think it’s too much? Well, now that you mention it… I’ve been seeing this stuff in my dreams, too.

You’re showin’ all the signs. Soon enough, you won’t know the difference between fiction and reality.
Yeah, yeah… I think I’ve seen a movie about that.

We can move at two speeds. Walking…

…Or slightly more brisk walking. It’s basically just halfway into a light jog. In certain scenes we can actually, you know, run, but I guess that’s not a great idea in this limited space. I’m not sure there’s ever a moment where we’ll actually need to run, but the option’s there.

Those of you who have followed my Persona 5 LPs will know that I never pass up an opportunity for a good eavesdrop. What do these two have to say?

Uh, sorry… I’ve got plans with someone.
Let me guess… It’s… Nenji-kun, right?
Ew, no. I mean, it *is* a guy, but…
Iori-chan met someone special too. I’m the only one left… You’re all so lucky with boys!

This little animation of her pouting is ridiculously adorable.

Deep breaths, Miwako.

Did you need something?
Er, not really.

Busted!

And we’re automatically forced to walk away.

Let’s examine this sleeping student.

Should I wake her up? Come to think of it, in that movie yesterday… The girl piloting the robot looked awfully familiar.

(She always seems to be sleeping. It’s odd. And then she shows up in my dreams… I can’t help but be a little curious about her.)

Now, we talk to Shiba again…

I saw that one video up for rent.

Really?
Yup! Gonna rent it?
I’ve got to!

Gimme a minute. I’ll be right back.

Guess I’ll wait here… Wonder what he’s up to.

Consider That One Video

(That movie’s a hidden gem. It’s tough to get a hold of these days.)

While we wait for Shiba to get back, Juro can interact with Fuyusaka again.

Mrgh…

Class is already over.
Kurabe-kun…?

You were out cold, huh?
Just now, I… I had another weird dream. And you were there…
Huh? Me? What kind of dream was it?

This sucks, man. Can’t find Amiguchi anywhere. Waaaait a minute. What’s goin’ on here? You two are lookin’ awfully cozy.
(blushing) I-It’s not like that.
……
Oh yeah? Then what’s the problem? Heheh! Don’t mind me! Carry on.

Let’s talk about this some other time.
…… Y-Yeah.

Iori then walks over to the other two girls.

Okay! See you tomorrow.

Fine… Guess single girls walk home alone…
Hey, I’m sorry. I’ll buy you a crêpe next time.

Now, if we stand in a specific spot here, directly between “Usami” and the desk in the foreground with the school bag laying on it…

Could you move?
Sorry.

And we get pushed away again. All of this is pointless, but I think it’s kinda neat so I’m wasting my own time by showing it off.

I loved the view from the old classroom… But the new one’s not bad either. I can see the whole schoolyard.

They’re really supporting one another… Maybe I should join a club too.

I know, I shouldn’t tease ya like that… But it’s your fault for keepin’ secrets from me.
*sigh*
But seriously, Amiguchi… We gotta catch that guy, and quick.
You want to hang out again that badly?
He’s got all the good video games! They’re just waitin’ for me to play ‘em.

He’s never around unless you make plans.

Consider Shu Amiguchi

(Amiguchi-kun’s not the most responsible guy, but… He’s smart, athletic, and popular with the ladies. On top of that, his family is rich… He’s got all the latest video game consoles in his room.)

Use Shu Amiguchi on Kyuta Shiba

Maybe he’s still around.
Oh, in the cafeteria? That’s right! He was there during break, too!

(in the background) Umm…
Grab your stuff and come on!

What is it, Sawatari-san?
Those papers on the podium… Could you take them to Ms. Morimura in the nurse’s office?
Me?
Well, it’s your turn this week…
Oh, is it?

Y-Yes, that’s right… Please take care of it.

“Keyword alerts” tell us if we have un-considered Thought Cloud keywords (green) or words we can use in the environment (red).

Use Stack of Papers on Kyuta Shiba

These papers… I need to take them to Ms. Morimura.
Ugh, seriously? Well, do whatcha gotta do. But we’re not giving up on Amiguchi, all right? I’m gonna head over to the cafeteria. Grab your bag and meet me there when you can.

With that, Shiba leaves.

Now, we just have to pick up our bag so we can go.

So, I haven’t brought it up yet, but… look at this loving game. It’s goddamn beautiful. The way the rays of light filter through the window and the halation around the windowframe, the way in the previous scene the character sprites would get darker if they weren’t in direct sunlight (which is a huge pain in the rear end for me as someone trying to grab character portraits, lmao), the way the light hits the edges of the characters to give them depth… it’s really incredible.

Can I just leave them here? Hm…?

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

What *is* this?

I’ll just take a peek.

It’s my photo, but… The last name is wrong. I’m Juro Kurabe. …… Symptoms… Psyche stabilized via drug administration. The patient is obedient… General good health… Drugs, huh.

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe)

…Now, I know what you’re thinking, and we’re above the low-hanging fruit of making crude jokes about this character design. It’s… blatant, yes, but it’s also the only character design of that sort in the game, which is honestly impressive considering that Vanillaware also made Dragon’s Crown (and to a lesser extent, Odin Sphere), featuring designs that make this look positively restrained. So, I think we should acknowledge that it’s a bit silly and move on, okay? No jokes? All right.

Boobs.

If you can use a Thought Cloud item on a character, that’s generally the way you progress. Talking to the character instead usually just leads to a perfunctory line of dialogue or two, often with a “hint” reminding you of the item they want you to use. For example, talking to Morimura leads to the line “What brings you here?” and nothing else until you use the required item.

Also worth noting, when you exhaust a character’s dialogue like you’re playing loving Dark Souls their name will turn red. Convenient.

Use Stack of Papers on Ms. Morimura

You brought them back for me?
I was told it was my turn this week.

Wait a minute—if she “forgot” them, why is it Juro’s “turn” this week to bring them back? Does she just forget them every single day so the students formed like, a chore wheel for it?

I see. You’re a good kid, Kurabe-kun.

I should go to the cafeteria.

Oh, one more thing. Kurabe-kun…

Look! The rays of light are making it harder to physically see the character sprites! This game is gorgeous!

Use Condition on Ms. Morimura

You know.

Juro just… looking directly at her boobs here.

Dizziness? Headaches? Are you getting enough sleep at night?
W-Why do you ask?
There’s a nasty cold going around.
At this time of year? That’s a bit odd, isn’t it?
I’ll give you some medicine just in case.
N-No thank you… I’m fine, really.
I see.
If you’ll excuse me…

Suddenly, Shiba bursts through the door!

Shiba-kun… What’s up?
Amiguchi wasn’t in the cafeteria. Figured I’d try here. Well, guess that’s all we can do. Let’s drop by the video store on the way home. C’mon.

Eh, we couldn’t catch Amiguchi… The video store was a waste of time… This sucks, man.
It’s true that one video was already rented out… But we didn’t come back empty-handed.
What, that old-rear end kaiju flick?
Deimos vs. Mecha-Deimos! It’s a real masterpiece from ‘74.
You and your giant robots…
Hey, I got a flyer from the theater the other day. It showed what movies they’re playing this month. Guess what was on there? The original Deimos! Do you want to go?

Consider Mighty Kaiju Deimos

(The first in what would become a long-running series.)

If we head left here instead of right, we can overhear two conversations.

Why not get a game console? Then you can stay safe at home.
My little brother totally tried that argument on our dad. He was like, “if you don’t buy me one, I’ll fall in with the wrong crowd!”

Right? I even see her in TV commercials.
Everyone at school seems to love her. Think she’ll be in this year’s award show?

Nothing too important there.

Music: Impending Doom (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

The activation…
You know this guy?

Why won’t it start?

What’s wrong? Is everything all right? You look awful.

Do you feel sick?

Did it just… light up?

You shouldn’t touch it.

What the…

No…
What’s going on?

Music: Lonely Struggle (Rikako Watanabe)

Don’t tell me… Are you…?

Wait. It looks… different.

Send that thing back!
I did that?

He added a forced activation protocol.

Uhhhh…

Well, this’ll be interesting.
Are you…?

I’m gonna need you to forget about this for now.
Shiba-kun…

…Whaaaaaaaat!?

Juro Kurabe is voiced by Chris Hackney. He’s best known as Dimitri in Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 14, 2022

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yesss. This was one of my favourite games from this year. I'm looking forward to seeing some fresh reactions.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Okay that was like 10 minutes of gameplay and yet you have my attention :stare:

Music is like a mix of Nier:Automata and Pacific Rim and I am HERE FOR IT :swoon:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thank you so much for taking this bullet for me. Now I'm free.

I thought nobody else was doing this, and I was gonna have to. I was gonna do it. But I'm not running a duelling LP of this game in particular, there's just no point. Instead, I get to sit back and not say a single goddamn thing in this thread because gently caress if I can even remember what we're supposed to know at any point, this game is a lot.

Actually what I'll say is that I really like the battles! A lot of people seem really down on them, and I kinda get it, but I love them for what they are.

E: Permit me to post this excerpt from my OP that now won't be:

Fedule posted:

Buy the drat game
(△) Consider

Maybe you've picked up on this by now, but I want you to buy this game yourself. It deserves it. I mean, I'd love for some people to follow along vicariously for the whole show, that's kind of what we're here for, but if you reach a point where your curiosity is piqued and your wallet willing, absolutely go for it.

But don't take my word for it!

Taro Yoko posted:

I think you must buy this game! The reason for that is—in order to keep the existence of this Japanese national treasure of a company known as Vanillaware, they must sell as many copies as possible. I don’t care whether games of other companies sell, and I really wouldn’t care at all if Atlus were to go under! However, Vanillaware games are the one thing we can’t lose in Japan, so let’s all buy 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim!

Instead of interviewing me, how about interviewing Kamitani-san! Has Atlus gone mad? First of all, I’m not even an employee of Atlus, why am I even here... looking back, I don’t even know how it happened...

Masahiro Sakurai posted:

There never was and there will probably never be a game similar to 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, everyone should play it!

Anyone who wants to write a game scenario should play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This game sounds rad and I really hope it'll be out on PC someday.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Can't wait to not know where the gently caress this is going for 12 updates, then not expecting a reveal on the 13th. :confuoot:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I had a brief thought of LPing this with viewer participation for which story to pick next, but I have no interesting commentary to add. Good luck with it! It's an amazing game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bellmaker posted:

Okay that was like 10 minutes of gameplay and yet you have my attention :stare:

:sickos:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Doing this as an SSLP is an interesting choice.

That said:
Everyone with a PS4 and an interesting in wacky and/or scifi plots and VNs should get this game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I as interested in this but with the entire Yakuza franchise hitting gamepass I don’t have time until 2022, so thanks.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Ah, this game was an instant buy for me because Vanillaware, but I haven’t gotten to it yet because uh. Reasons, involving other games.

It looks like that’ll have to change sooner rather than later, this looks hype already.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I saw this mentioned in a visual novels thread, was jazzed, then realized it doesn't exist for a platform I own, so. Thank you for LPing it instead.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Oh wow, someone's actually doing this, and at high quality at that. Godspeed, says someone who's been inhaling this game from LPs since they don't own the console it's on.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Arist posted:

Juro just… looking directly at her boobs here.

In fairness she is standing right on his foot and I feel like he may be trying to check on that instead. :v:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

:getin:

I can't believe you're doing this to yourself, but godspeed for bringing SA this insanity.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm never going to own a PS4 so thank you for doing this.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
My PS4 has basically been turned into my teens exclusive Fortnight, APEX, Rocket League (really? sure, okay) machine, so I won't be able to play this for a long while.

You have my thanks for doing this as well!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This is my GOTY 2020, so I’m glad to see a LP of it. I’m also looking forward to folks’ speculation, because it is one of those kind of games.

I will also throw my support behind the battles. They’re not amazing or anything, but they’re impactful and create very interesting narratives. I might comment a bit more on them as the game progresses, since they’re a little less spoiler intensive.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just got started and I am a bit further ahead and all I will say is holy poo poo I have no idea what is going on.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Was wondering who, if anyone, would try and tackle an LP of this. Of course it's Arist. :v:

Godspeed with this amazing game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hunt11 posted:

Just got started and I am a bit further ahead and all I will say is holy poo poo I have no idea what is going on.

Things that would be major reveals in any other VN (e.g. a Zero Escape game) just get dropped here every half hour or so.
Not every single chapter, but enough of them.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
This game is amazing. It's gameplay and combat graphics are extremely simple but uses its presentation and HUD in an amazing fashion.

It also features the sort of narrative that could very well be studied in the future for its outstanding use of its medium.

Best of luck with this LP!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is great

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arist posted:

There’s huge reveals that take place within the first two minutes that I’m loath to give away

There's a boob joke in here somewhere

what was the reveal supposed to be

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Motha fuckin time travel

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're barely getting to grips with the giant robots and she's just like "Are you from the future"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Waffleman_ posted:

You're barely getting to grips with the giant robots and she's just like "Are you from the future"

“Are you also from the future, like this other guy”, to be specific! Not just “is time travel in play”, but “are you one too?”

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp, consider me hooked.
And by hooked I'm going to power play this during vacations, since I'm waiting on the fan translation of Azure before mainlining the Trails games up to Cold Steel 4 anyways. (Falcom franchise)

We'll be getting a lot out of good ole :psyduck: and variations, won't we?

I think my favorite :wtf: Vanillaware design is Velvet (Odin's Sphere), because during gameplay it somehow works, but if you spend a couple minutes actually looking at what she's wearing, holy poo poo woman what the hell is your battle outfit.

If this was an Yoko Taro :yokotaro: game I'd be half expecting Caim plus Red or Zero to pop up at some point.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This game is absolutely amazing and I am greatly looking forward to people's blind reaction to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Time for a new character’s story. We can’t select Juro again at the moment, so this is the only path we have.

Chapter 2: Iori Fuyusaka 1

Music: Mornin’, Sunshine! (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

I can’t believe I slept through my alarm…

Ah, the old “schoolgirl running to school with toast in her mouth.” Can’t beat the classics.

Those weird dreams won’t leave me alone. I’m losing beauty sleep!

Didn’t really need that panty shot, but okay. (I swear to god this game is good and relatively tame, y’all, I’m not trying to trick you)

Guess that’s a yes.

Um… Sorry…

Wait, are you—

The morning assembly!

First-year. Iori Fuyusaka. …… Might be worth looking into.

Music: Halcyon Days (Yoshimi Kudo)

Wait, this isn’t the same classroom as before…?

Good morning, sleepyhead.
……
You were sound asleep.
Class is over…?
The teacher kept giving you dirty looks.

You slept through the whole class. I’m Kisaragi. Tomi Kisaragi.
Ah… I’m Sawatari.

Fuyusaka-san, right? I heard the teacher trying to call on you.
Really? I didn’t notice… *sigh* I’ve barely even started my high school life… And this is how I make a first impression?

One thing I didn’t mention about the Thought Cloud is that as you flit between different thoughts the character will “think” the name of whatever thought you have selected out loud. It’s pretty funny.

(Miwa-chan’s my good friend. She’s gentle, kind… Loves talking about romance, even though she’s shy with boys.)

You too, Kisaragi-san.
Call me Usami! Weird nickname, but I’m used to it.
In that case, you can call me Iori.
It’s nice to be on a first-name basis. I’m Miwako.

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(Usami-chan sits at the desk in front of mine. She has red glasses, braids, and seems a bit weird, honestly.)

Cold thing to say about someone you just met two minutes ago.

Your forehead is red.
Well, she *was* sleeping on the desk.
Oh, um… I kinda bumped into someone…

I wonder why.
Well, uh… The guy I ran into was kinda cute, so… Geez, I feel awkward just thinking about it.
Sounds like love at first sight!
Really?

It was a destined encounter… You two are meant to be!

All right, let’s slow down. If there’s anything I’ve learned from bad romcoms, it’s that one meet cute does not a destined pair of lovers make. Even if he did see your underwear!

Um… You think so? Maybe…

Consider Cute Guy

THIRTEEN SENTINELS: AEGIS RIM!!!!!

(What is this? My heart is racing… I wish I could have talked to him more. He wasn’t wearing our uniform, was he? Maybe he’s from a different school.)

Shall we walk home together? I’d love to hear more about this boy you met.
Um…
You’re welcome to join us, Usami-chan. There’s a new crêpe shop we could stop by.
Crêpes? Yeah, I’m down. Let’s do it!

Use Tomi Kisaragi on Tomi Kisaragi

Pfft. This is the most hilarious possible way to turn asking her about herself into something resembling gameplay.

Oh, uh… Y’know, nowhere special. Kinda far away, though.
Huh…
Sorry, I have to ask. Usami-chan…
Yeah?

Gouto? Nah, not really. Why?
Well, he’s awfully popular here at school…
Seriously? That guy? Geez… So that’s how it is.
I saw you two talking in the hall earlier…
Yeah, uh… Don’t worry. He’s not my type.

I see!

Iori yawns.

You sure yawn a lot. Are you a night owl?
Not really. It’s just… I keep having strange dreams. They keep me up at night.
What kind of dreams?
It’s hard to remember the details, but… Last night…

This huge shadow started coming for me… And then I woke up.
……

How old *is* this place?

Don’t break the door.
I didn’t!

Consider Old Building

This school is so old, it still uses hanging lamps. You don’t see that every day.

Don’t worry about it! I had to see your smiling faces.
You know this girl?
Yes! She’s a good friend.
The three of us have known each other since grade school.
Natsuno-chan, this is Usami-chan.
Last name Kisaragi.

I wanna be in your class too.

Use Old Building on Natsuno Minami

They were working on a new building for this year… But I heard construction was delayed.
I think we’ll be moving to the new one next month.
Sure hope so. This place is a dump. I heard it was built during the war.
Whoa… That means it’s over forty years old.

What are you doing in someone else’s classroom? The teacher told you to prepare for the next class.
Yeah, I know.

You know that cat we were talking about? I saw it!

Minami-san.
Yeah, yeah. I’m coming.

It has black fur with a white belly, right?

All the time.
Dang.
No fair! I haven’t seen it yet. So it’s behind the science room, huh… That’s it! I’m gonna go looking!

The game actually makes you physically turn Iori around here to notice the cat, it’s pretty funny.

Consider Cute Guy

This is why I love video games, they let you do exciting and fantastical things like “Consider: Cute Guy.”

(My heart starts racing. It’s like love at first sight. If I said that… Would he laugh at me?)

Huh? Where’d it go?

Don’t act like you don’t know.

We have something here.

This isn’t like you.

This is a first for me too. You feel it, right?

Oh. Oh.

I want to pursue this with you. Please!
I dunno… It’s just—

I think as long as you love each other… It’s okay…
What?

Waaaaaaaaaaaacky misunderstandings!

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe)

Amiguchi laughs.

That’s rich.
Sorry for the confusion. We were just talking about something…
Yeah. The strange dreams we’ve been having.
Dreams?

(Every day, I have strange dreams… They keep me up at night.)

Talk to Shu Amiguchi

So you guys know each other?
She sits in front of me in class.

Use Strange Dreams on Shu Amiguchi

It’s been a lot of crazy stuff. Different every time. I don’t even think they’re in chronological order… But they do seem related.
Hm…

It’s like we’re seein’ the same stuff. The more he tells me, the more I think it all lines up. Makes ya think our dreams are connected.

I guess we do have that in common. We first met at that video rental joint, after all. Still, I can’t help but think it’s somethin’ else. Like, I dunno, telepathy? If not that, maybe it’s a vision of the future.

Whenever we dream this stuff, we should compare notes.
……

Well, actually… I’m more surprised to hear that’s all it was. ‘Cause I thought—

Yeah, yeah, we know what you thought. Keep it in your fanfics.

Hm, class is starting. We can talk more later.
Let’s go, Fuyusaka-san.

Time to return to the “Beginning of the End.”

Music: (LEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

The battle music in this game, besides being named largely after amino acids, are broken up into a few different segments. The first segment here plays until about 1:04, and is used for prebattle dialogue. Then the battle music plays until 4:48, where it’s interrupted by the victory music which isn’t relevant yet. All the battle tracks have their own versions of this, and I think it’s pretty neat.

Wait a second, she’s in Sentinel number fifteen!? Everything about this game is a lie!

Oh yeah… I got in this robot, and…

K-Kurabe-kun?
Fuyusaka-san… Everything you said came true…
…We got kaiju everywhere, right?
I think I prefer my kaiju to stay on the silver screen… Looks like there’s more on the way. Can you get your Sentinel up?
I’ll try, but… I think it might be broken in some places…
You’re in a 2nd-generation sentinel. It weighs around 2,200 tons. With that kind of weight, it can end up crushing its own components if it collapses.
This big robot looks so tough. Is it really that useless if it falls over…?

You keep talking about them like that. What are these D-forces?
Deimos. They’re the kaiju.
That’s them. They’re trying to reach the mainframe in the depths below. That’s why they attack every terminal that has a connection to it.
If they manage to reach the mainframe… this city will be wiped out.
But we can’t stay on the defensive forever. With so few of us, we could never sustain it. Instead, we have to rely on the terminal’s internal defenses. A specialized program. That puts up an impenetrable shield around the area. The D-forces would be completely locked out.
That’s gotta be the Aegis system Ms. Morimura was talking about. But… is it even safe to use?
We’re only using it to buy time.

Didn’t answer the question, four-eyes!

How do we activate it?
Whichever one of you is closest, move to the D-forces’ invasion point.
Invasion point…? You mean where all the kaiju are trying to get to?
Yes. The terminal sits directly below that point.

Okay, we move Iori to the terminal. Note that because we’re piloting giant honkin’ robits, we have to navigate via city streets because they’re the only avenue (heh) big enough for our fat asses.

That’s where you send the signal to the terminal 300 meters underground. Either of your access IDs should be capable of activating it.
And… that’ll fix it? That’s enough to get rid of all the kaiju?
No. It won’t be that simple.

It never is.

The defense systems have a long startup. We’ll need to buy enough time for Aegis to initialize. Until it activates, our mission is to keep the D-forces away from the terminal.
We’ll try.

Soooooo… yep. I called this a “strategy game” in the OP, but that’s a bit misleading. It’s actually more of a… tower defense? Of a sort?

Now, there’s a bunch of information on the screen I should probably explain before I forget but none of it is super relevant at the moment because near-everything is gonna die in one or two attacks. I’d prefer to wait until we have some freedom to actually engage with these systems, but I should really convey just what is happening here. So… let’s examine this screen.

Defense is in the top-left. That’s how much damage the terminal can take. Below that is our pilot’s HP and EP, which are exactly what you think they are: how much health we have and our resource for using attacks. We can also see the generation of each Sentinel next to those bars, but we only have 2nd-generations in the field at the moment.

In the top right is the city defense rating, a number that is utterly inscrutable to me and which I have no idea how to affect. I think this is what percentage of the map is on fire, but I don’t know what causes the map to be damaged, and I’ve never had it dip below even like 80% on a real mission.

On the bottom-right is our score and MP, neither of which are important yet. In the bottom-center we can see an attack description. POW 150x8 means this attack hits 8 times with 150 power each time. WT is the “wait time,” meaning we have to wait 7 seconds after using this attack to take our next turn. There’s also “Back attack,” which just means our current attack will hit the back of the selected enemy and do 1.5 times as much damage. I have no idea how this works with attacks like this rocket launcher that shoot a projectile that then explodes, but whatever.

For the real missions I’ll record video of them so you can get a feel for what it’s like, but these tutorials are so dirt-simple I don’t really feel the need.

There’s only three groups of hostiles on this map and they go down quickly enough.

When we defeat them, though, they explode into orange bits. This won’t be important for a while, but I felt I should at least point it out.

It’s hard to see without motion, but once all the enemies are defeated, the terminal shoots out a circular wave with a neat distortion effect.

Are your sentinels still operational?
Mine’s doing okay.
I can still fight.

You’re in a Sentinel… You’re going to tell me who you are, now. I believe that’s Sentinel No. 12. Okino’s machine.
I’m Takatoshi Hijiyama. And this is *my* Sentinel.

I’ve come to save the human race. Leave this region to me.

Wow, look at the big britches on this one. Well la-di-da, guess we should just take a breath and rest easy if you’re here.

He cut off his comms… I’ve found his Sentinel’s location. But it’s a ways from your position.
He’s not gonna try taking them all on by himself… is he?
I’ll move to rendezvous. You two should keep going towards the next combat zone.

It’s this way. Follow me.

And so concludes that chapter of the tutorial.

Iori Fuyusaka is voiced by Allegra Clark. She’s known for roles like Boss in AI: The Somnium Files, as well as Dorothea and Shamir in Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 13, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I also never quite figured out the City% mechanic, but that doesn't matter because I don't think it ever really registered, ever, like I don't think anything changes based on it and while a handful of missions have side objectives to keep it above say 80% I still never noticed it or had any trouble with that.

I think certain attacks from Kaiju will do damage to particular buildings if they're nearby (some buildings seem distinctive as you pan around the maps). This sounds like a wrinkle but the approach is the same; suffer not the Kaiju to live :black101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I see, I see

you can only gain the power to pilot mechs after your fujo awakening

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I just want to wish the OP the best of Luck at this endeavor. There's a whole lot of stuff to transcribe from the game. I am watching some other people LP this game and there have been half a dozen times I have wanted to strangle them through the screen. That said from what I have seen in that LP there is a metric ton of missable stuff that doesn't directly affect things but some of it is neat anyways. Are you planning on showing off everything?

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 18, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "missable" stuff is mainly various small interactions between characters. I'll show what I can and am aware of but I'll probably miss some stuff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hwurmp posted:

This game sounds rad and I really hope it'll be out on PC someday.

I just started playing this game about a week ago and holy loving poo poo it very quickly starts going in some places.

If this ever came to PC I'd buy it a second time because they deserve it and I'm not even 1/4 of the way done with the thing.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Bought this game a few days ago based almost exclusively on how good it looked from the OP, going places barely scratches the surface of how hard this story goes. I'm about 80% in and I'm still expecting everything I know to be overturned a few dozen more times.

The battle system's kinda fun as well, but honestly I've never actually encountered any real difficulty.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
What system is this on? It looks amazing and I'd like very much to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Astrofig posted:

What system is this on? It looks amazing and I'd like very much to try it.

PS4 exclusive.