Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I. M. Gei posted:

Alright I fired off a bunch of tree removal quote requests on AngiesList, and we’re gonna talk to our homeowner’s insurance company tomorrow to see what they say. I’ll try to talk to the neighbors tomorrow too; so far they don’t seem to have noticed what happened, or if they have then they haven’t approached us about it.

Why the gently caress would you get tree removal quotes on a tree that is not yours and is not on your property before even having spoken to the owners of said tree? I thought you didn't want to start a feud.

If I were your neighbor and you approached me about my tree with removal quotes I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. But if you came to me about the fallen branch and simply asked me to do something about it I'd happily oblige (and then get the trees trimmed to prevent future incidents).

Edit: or did you just mean removal of the fallen branch? Then never mind. Just don't go to your neighbor with talk about having them get rid of their tree. Asking them to trim them would be appropriate, I believe. If it were me I'd offer to help pay for trimming if they had objections for money reasons.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Queen Victorian posted:

So there's a scraggly bush along the fence that flowers sometimes with orange flowers, and I have no clue what it is:

And I just realized that this is a poo poo photo that's out of focus.... welp. I'll take a better one tomorrow.

In other news, crabapple is looking good:

(Can't wait til it's big enough to more thoroughly block the view of the eternal construction zone that is one of the neighbors' yards - the fact that I'm solving the ugly view problem by planting a tree should tell you something about whatever the gently caress these people's construction project is.)

Pretty sure this is a flowering quince! Does it have any thorns? It might actually thicken up faster if you prune back some of the longer shoots in autumn, since that'll encourage it to make denser growth

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Queen Victorian posted:

Why the gently caress would you get tree removal quotes on a tree that is not yours and is not on your property before even having spoken to the owners of said tree? I thought you didn't want to start a feud.

If I were your neighbor and you approached me about my tree with removal quotes I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. But if you came to me about the fallen branch and simply asked me to do something about it I'd happily oblige (and then get the trees trimmed to prevent future incidents).

Edit: or did you just mean removal of the fallen branch? Then never mind. Just don't go to your neighbor with talk about having them get rid of their tree. Asking them to trim them would be appropriate, I believe. If it were me I'd offer to help pay for trimming if they had objections for money reasons.

We just want to get the fallen limb off of our roof and off the power line. As far as I know it’s possible that we can do that without the tree guys needing to go into the neighbor’s yard; we can’t really know that one way or another until they come and take a look at it themselves. That could be days from now though. We’ve got plenty of time to talk to the neighbors between now and then.

The biggest concern is that the limb is still partially attached to the tree and the rest of it could still fall off at any time and cause some actual damage. The tree crew might be able to cut off enough of it from our side of the fence to keep poo poo from falling on us without going onto the neighbor’s property, or they might not. Or the neighbors might offer to trim it themselves, in which case we can cancel our quote appointments or push them back a week or two.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

I. M. Gei posted:

We just want to get the fallen limb off of our roof and off the power line. As far as I know it’s possible that we can do that without the tree guys needing to go into the neighbor’s yard; we can’t really know that one way or another until they come and take a look at it themselves. That could be days from now though. We’ve got plenty of time to talk to the neighbors between now and then.

The biggest concern is that the limb is still partially attached to the tree and the rest of it could still fall off at any time and cause some actual damage. The tree crew might be able to cut off enough of it from our side of the fence to keep poo poo from falling on us without going onto the neighbor’s property, or they might not. Or the neighbors might offer to trim it themselves, in which case we can cancel our quote appointments or push them back a week or two.

Actually sounds like you should just speak to your neighbors ASAP, assuming they are reasonable people.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah seriously, just go over and talk to the neighbors about it.

Sorry for the knee jerk post - it was late and I had just written about one of my personal nightmare scenarios and the removal terminology use made it sound like you wanted to fulfill said nightmare scenario.

fuzzy_logic posted:

Pretty sure this is a flowering quince! Does it have any thorns? It might actually thicken up faster if you prune back some of the longer shoots in autumn, since that'll encourage it to make denser growth

Ooo that looks about right, actually. I'll check for thorns. Seems to be about three plants - or maybe just offshoots of one another. I will research pruning - the pics I found were awesome and they look so much better than my specimen and I would like mine to look that good.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’m wondering if anyone has some ideas.

We live in a very shady spot zone 6b. I’ve tried to put grass seed down so many times, but it’s too shady. All we can seem to grow is moss. That would be fine except moss gets so easily kicked up leaving bare dirt patches everywhere. We also have a toddler who will be making this situation worse soon.

What can I grow that will stay put?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We live in a very shady spot zone 6b. I’ve tried to put grass seed down so many times, but it’s too shady. All we can seem to grow is moss. That would be fine except moss gets so easily kicked up leaving bare dirt patches everywhere. We also have a toddler who will be making this situation worse soon.

I like groundcover thyme as a lawn alternative, and it should do fine in shade but might need some help getting established.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Schmeichy posted:

I like groundcover thyme as a lawn alternative, and it should do fine in shade but might need some help getting established.

This, but I have seen Oregano take over a lawn unintentionally and the owners found it so nice and pleasant to walk barefoot on they just let it be.

If you insist on grass, it may be more adverse conditions than just a bit of shade causing moss build up and there are grass seed mixes that do better in shade.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Posted a question in the gardening thread that may have been more appropriate for this one, is linking posts OK?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=419#post513940985

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

:(:hf::( Every year we tell our fertilizer company to lay off the preemergent spray because we have to seed the thin patches in our very shady north-facing 6A front lawn, and every year they spray anyway. We've tried to get rid of the moss that grows in the patches and in our planting beds, but it comes right back. We've even resodded our lawn with something we were told would be better in the shade, but it wasn't (so I don't have a recommendation for you, I'm afraid).

We're thinking about bumping our beds out a little more into the shadiest parts of the lawn and filling them with pachysandra, which is growing beautifully in deep shade at our library a half-mile down the road. Since it's not a grass analogue or soft like thyme (which I do love in containers), though, it wouldn't really provide your little one with a "grassy" area to play. And it can get expensive if you have a lot of space to fill.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Is your whole lawn super shady or just parts of it? If it's just parts of it you may be better off putting in shrubs or more garden or just a shade loving groundcover that isn't walkable.

If it is your whole lawn you might try out a few different shade groundcovers and see what does well. As mentioned some creeping thymes are alright with shade (and make a nice lawn) though I have found them fairly slow to spread. Mentha requienii (Corsican mint) might also work but it won't stand up to super heavy foot traffic and it will die off when it gets cold (should reseed itself for next year, though).

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thyme actually sounds like an awesome idea. Thank you!

RickRogers posted:

If you insist on grass, [b]it may be more adverse conditions than just a bit of shade causing moss build up[b] and there are grass seed mixes that do better in shade.

What else could be causing it?

Hirayuki posted:

We're thinking about bumping our beds out a little more into the shadiest parts of the lawn and filling them with pachysandra, which is growing beautifully in deep shade at our library a half-mile down the road. Since it's not a grass analogue or soft like thyme (which I do love in containers), though, it wouldn't really provide your little one with a "grassy" area to play. And it can get expensive if you have a lot of space to fill.

There’s pachysandra all over here. It’s nice, but a bit too bushy for the whole yard. It grows amazingly well here.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Wallet posted:

Is your whole lawn super shady or just parts of it? If it's just parts of it you may be better off putting in shrubs or more garden or just a shade loving groundcover that isn't walkable.

If it is your whole lawn you might try out a few different shade groundcovers and see what does well. As mentioned some creeping thymes are alright with shade (and make a nice lawn) though I have found them fairly slow to spread. Mentha requienii (Corsican mint) might also work but it won't stand up to super heavy foot traffic and it will die off when it gets cold (should reseed itself for next year, though).

I was sooo interested in Corsican mint, but it apparently won’t withstand the winter months here. Too bad because it’s beautiful.

It’s our whole lawn except a small 30’x30’ area.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thyme actually sounds like an awesome idea. Thank you!

There’s pachysandra all over here. It’s nice, but a bit too bushy for the whole yard. It grows amazingly well here.

Poor drainage/compaction/low fertility/pH etc.

Tbh I hate lawn care as it is always an uphill struggle and sometimes the (literal) underlying cause is that the whole soil structure is terrible for grass.
And even when you have it looking good, without a proper yearly maintenance plan (aerification/scarification/4 to 5 times a year fertilizing/Autumn feed/raking/more raking/mowing at an appropriate hight) it can go back to poo poo so quickly that it's not worth trying to get it looking good in the first place.

I think what you basically want is a nice surface for your kid to play on though, so grass is actually not necessary, or at least not everywhere.
Maybe in the worst most shaded areas have a play zone with a swing or whatever, where you could just cover it in woodchips or something would make a nice soft landing?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Moss grows best on compacted, acidic soil, so if you have a lot of moss growing in an area, it’s a good sign that the soil is pretty compacted and relatively acidic. Whatever you do, work up the dirt a little to help with the compaction.

Mulch it and plant some azaleas/rhododendrons would be my idea. They love shade and acidic soil.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I was sooo interested in Corsican mint, but it apparently won’t withstand the winter months here. Too bad because it’s beautiful.

It’s our whole lawn except a small 30’x30’ area.

It won't withstand the winter but your lawn is going to be browned out anyway. It should reseed itself for next year, though, so you could maybe mix it with something else.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Glad I asked you all. All good info. Thank you!

Our soil is definitely acidic. I can try to work on that and the compacted soil as well.

Wallet posted:

It won't withstand the winter but your lawn is going to be browned out anyway. It should reseed itself for next year, though, so you could maybe mix it with something else.

Ok now I might have to seriously think about doing this.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

My cactus is enjoying my new house

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You better feed that thing something before it sniffs you out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
so there’s colocasia bulbs for sale all over my area

Anybody grow one of these giant beauties? Anybody keep them indoors in winter?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

so there’s colocasia bulbs for sale all over my area

Anybody grow one of these giant beauties? Anybody keep them indoors in winter?

Mine get like 8’ tall in my yard if we don’t get a freeze in the winter and 6’ if we do.
E: from a year or so ago when we didn’t get a hard freeze:

No idea about growing them inside. They like it hot and wet and medium/bright shade outside. Caladiums are good for deeper shade.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 13, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
They’re very fun plants especially the giant variety. We had them for years and years as the front garden backdrop until we got tired of them and gave all the bulbs away. LOVE water

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The flowers look like a giant whale dick or something

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Moss grows best on compacted, acidic soil, so if you have a lot of moss growing in an area, it’s a good sign that the soil is pretty compacted and relatively acidic. Whatever you do, work up the dirt a little to help with the compaction.

Mulch it and plant some azaleas/rhododendrons would be my idea. They love shade and acidic soil.

If you go the azalea route, maybe avoid Encore azaleas. They do bloom year-round (... kinda) but the number of flowers you get with each bloom is way less than what you get from a normal azalea bush once a year in spring, and the bushes as a whole generally look pretty ratty in my experience.

Also make sure to keep them trimmed to a nice shape and fertilize them every year once they’ve had a year or two to get established. A well-shaped azalea bush that’s properly fertilized puts out a whole fuckton of flowers and looks loving amazing when it’s in bloom in the spring, and it makes for a pretty handsome green bush the rest of the year.

Azaleas are a pretty big deal where I live, so they’re a plant I actually know a little bit about. My town has an azalea festival every year at the beginning of spring when they’re in peak bloom; there’s a whole “Azalea District” where people open their bigass gardens to the public to check out all the flowers in bloom and it’s always a sight to behold (this year being the one exception due to Texas Snowpocalypse 2021).

EDIT: Actually I’d like to elaborate a bit on the “normal” vs Encore azalea thing.

Most regular azaleas have one spectacular blooming period in Spring, where (assuming it’s been properly fertilized) the entire bush is almost completely covered top-to-bottom in nothing but flowers for like 3 or 4 weeks or more, after which the blooms disappear and the plant goes into Handsome Green Shrub Mode for the rest of the year until Winter rolls around (and possibly well into that, depending on where you live). Some azaleas do an almost-equally-or-maybe-very-slightly-less-spectacular bloom in Spring, go into HGS Mode in Summer, and then have a second smaller bloom period in the Fall. I want to say that some azaleas’ leaves change color in the Fall but I need to double-check that. There are a few other regular varieties that bloom three times a year, once each season from Spring through Fall, but I don’t know as much about those as I don’t see them very often and haven’t read a whole lot about them. If I remember correctly they’re all mostly Shrub Mode year-round but with the addition of one somewhat-shorter blooming period each season consisting of fewer flowers per bloom than those other two types I described growing around all the leaves. However, while the three bloom periods on these varieties aren’t as amazing as the one or two on the other varieties, there are always enough flowers and leaves to fill out the whole bush so it at least looks full and handsome all the time.

Encore azaleas are a different story. Rather than putting on one massive explosion of flowers in Spring and possibly another smaller explosion in Fall, or three even smaller explosions once per season on top of a nice dense leafy shrubby bush-cushion, Encores poo poo out multiple scanty little half-assed farts of flowers periodically all throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall. So while you will get flowers all year round, you won’t get very many of them at any one time, and the ones you do get are gonna be scattered around randomly and look like poo poo. Also the Encore bushes I’ve seen grow leaves about the same way they grow flowers — i.e. they fart out a few lovely-looking ones periodically in random places throughout the :airquote:bush:airquote: — and they never seem to grow enough combined leaves and flowers at any given time to even fill out the whole bush so it looks like... y’know, an actual bush the way a normal azalea would. In other words, Encore azaleas look like patchy unhealthy poo poo all year long, all the time, forever, and fail both as flowering bushes and as leafy shrubs.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 13, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RickRogers posted:

Tbh I hate lawn care as it is always an uphill struggle and sometimes the (literal) underlying cause is that the whole soil structure is terrible for grass.
And even when you have it looking good, without a proper yearly maintenance plan (aerification/scarification/4 to 5 times a year fertilizing/Autumn feed/raking/more raking/mowing at an appropriate hight) it can go back to poo poo so quickly that it's not worth trying to get it looking good in the first place.

I think what you basically want is a nice surface for your kid to play on though, so grass is actually not necessary, or at least not everywhere.
Maybe in the worst most shaded areas have a play zone with a swing or whatever, where you could just cover it in woodchips or something would make a nice soft landing?

One of the best tips I learned about lawn care when I worked the garden section at a big-box home improvement store is that you must ALWAYS overseed your lawn once or twice a year. Like all of the other plants you put in your yard, your grass is not a native plant to the dirt it’s going on/in, meaning some of it is always gonna die off from year to year. In order to keep your lawn from gradually disappearing over time, you HAVE to lay down more grass seed periodically to replace whatever grass dies off that year/season. Doing this along with all the other regular maintenance stuff you gotta do will guarantee that you always have lush green grass covering your entire lawn, all year, every year, without parts of it slowly going bald like George Costanza.

Unfortunately it’s been a number of years since I worked that job and I’ve forgotten bits and pieces of what I was taught, so you should double-check some of this with someone better-versed than I in lawn stuff, BUT if I recall correctly, the general idea is that you want to put out new seed every year in (I think) very early Fall and/or very late Winter/early Spring; exactly when and how many times you do it will depend on where you live and what kind of grass(es) you’re trying to grow. I want to say that if you’re only doing it once a year (which would mean that you’re planting an all-weather grass that can take both Summer and Winter weather), then the general rule is to do it in early Fall so it can establish a root system by Spring (much like a lot of other plants, such as my many fruit trees :haw:), but again, you should probably confirm that with an expert, and if that expert isn’t a goon that posts in this thread then PLEASE POST WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU HERE, because I’d love to have my memory refreshed on the subject!

Some grasses can only handle warm weather, and some are able to handle cold weather but don’t do as well in hotter temperatures. St. Augustine is an example of a grass that can’t handle cold at all, even in areas with mild winters like mine where the temperature normally only goes below freezing two or three times a year at most. In cases like this, you’ll want to seed twice a year instead of once, with a warm weather grass in late Winter/early Spring (pretty much as soon as your store of choice starts stocking the grass seed you want that year — I think in my area they usually start putting out the St. Augustine seed around mid-to-late February), and a cool weather grass in late Summer/early Fall.

Also don’t forget to test your lawn dirt pH and nutrients and do pest control as needed! I think it’s usually recommended to start putting out your pest treatment awhile before you start seeding and fertilizing for whatever season, like a month or two ahead of time at least? Our front yard has grubs everywhere that keep eating and killing our grass and somehow we never seem to remember to apply our pest control stuff to kill the bastards when we’re actually supposed to.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maintaining grass in shade is one thing. It’s establishing it that’s the challenge.

There’s a landscaping thread in this forum that has a lot of experienced people in it, if you haven’t already asked there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way if any (or all) of the stuff I said in either of those last two posts is wrong then feel free to correct me. I’m hoping to plant some azaleas in our yard either later this year or early next year, and the less mistaken I am on what I think I know about them, the better. Same goes for fixing up our lawn.

I really hope to God I didn’t gently caress up too many facts in those posts; I’m so loving sick and tired of seemingly always being wrong as gently caress about everything

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 13, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

the fart question posted:

My cactus is enjoying my new house

I love how goofy and out of scale a lot of cactus flowers are. Is it an Echinopsis or something else? I'm not good at flower morphology.

I. M. Gei posted:

If you go the azalea route, maybe avoid Encore azaleas. They do bloom year-round (... kinda) but the number of flowers you get with each bloom is way less than what you get from a normal azalea bush once a year in spring, and the bushes as a whole generally look pretty ratty in my experience.

This has kind of been my experience with reblooming lilacs. Three lilac bushes are the only thing the previous owner put in that I didn't yank or at least move to an unused corner for being ugly poo poo, but two of them are rebloomers (I'm guessing Boomerang) and one of them isn't. I haven't seen foliage problems but the rebloomers don't put on nearly as much of a show.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 13, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I. M. Gei posted:

Also make sure to keep them trimmed to a nice shape and fertilize them every year once they’ve had a year or two to get established. A well-shaped azalea bush that’s properly fertilized puts out a whole fuckton of flowers and looks loving amazing when it’s in bloom in the spring, and it makes for a pretty handsome green bush the rest of the year.

Azaleas are a pretty big deal where I live, so they’re a plant I actually know a little bit about. My town has an azalea festival every year at the beginning of spring when they’re in peak bloom; there’s a whole “Azalea District” where people open their bigass gardens to the public to check out all the flowers in bloom and it’s always a sight to behold (this year being the one exception due to Texas Snowpocalypse 2021).

EDIT: Actually I’d like to elaborate a bit on the “normal” vs Encore azalea thing.

Most regular azaleas have one spectacular blooming period in Spring, where (assuming it’s been properly fertilized) the entire bush is almost completely covered top-to-bottom in nothing but flowers for like 3 or 4 weeks or more, after which the blooms disappear and the plant goes into Handsome Green Shrub Mode for the rest of the year until Winter rolls around (and possibly well into that, depending on where you live). Some azaleas do an almost-equally-or-maybe-very-slightly-less-spectacular bloom in Spring, go into HGS Mode in Summer, and then have a second smaller bloom period in the Fall. I want to say that some azaleas’ leaves change color in the Fall but I need to double-check that. There are a few other regular varieties that bloom three times a year, once each season from Spring through Fall, but I don’t know as much about those as I don’t see them very often and haven’t read a whole lot about them. If I remember correctly they’re all mostly Shrub Mode year-round but with the addition of one somewhat-shorter blooming period each season consisting of fewer flowers per bloom than those other two types I described growing around all the leaves. However, while the three bloom periods on these varieties aren’t as amazing as the one or two on the other varieties, there are always enough flowers and leaves to fill out the whole bush so it at least looks full and handsome all the time.

Encore azaleas are a different story. Rather than putting on one massive explosion of flowers in Spring and possibly another smaller explosion in Fall, or three even smaller explosions once per season on top of a nice dense leafy shrubby bush-cushion, Encores poo poo out multiple scanty little half-assed farts of flowers periodically all throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall. So while you will get flowers all year round, you won’t get very many of them at any one time, and the ones you do get are gonna be scattered around randomly and look like poo poo. Also the Encore bushes I’ve seen grow leaves about the same way they grow flowers — i.e. they fart out a few lovely-looking ones periodically in random places throughout the :airquote:bush:airquote: — and they never seem to grow enough combined leaves and flowers at any given time to even fill out the whole bush so it looks like... y’know, an actual bush the way a normal azalea would. In other words, Encore azaleas look like patchy unhealthy poo poo all year long, all the time, forever, and fail both as flowering bushes and as leafy shrubs.

one of the Lowe’s in my area has real-deal Satsukis, if you want azaleas that put out later/longer blooming flowers.

I only know and care about azaleas from bonsai, but from what I understand, a lot of landscape azalea people will plant groups of American/mainland Asian/etc hybrids with satsukis, which are also smaller/more mounding/more delicate looking than most other varietals (so like clumps of satsuki in front and bigger, leggier azaleas in back)

Then you get two pops of flowers- azalea hybrids in mid spring and satsukis a few weeks later.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

By the way if any (or all) of the stuff I said in either of those last two posts is wrong then feel free to correct me. I’m hoping to plant some azaleas in our yard either later this year or early next year, and the less mistaken I am on what I think I know about them, the better. Same goes for fixing up our lawn.

I really hope to God I didn’t gently caress up too many facts in those posts; I’m so loving sick and tired of seemingly always being wrong as gently caress about everything

Lol, yeah you are right about reseeding/overseeding.
I do it after scarification for customers and it should work, but we often get sudden dry spells in Spring/Fall and then they don't water the newly sprouted seeds so it was all for nothing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I talked to my neighbors about the tree situation and they’re cool with letting the tree cutters into their yard. So no worries there.

We also got a written estimate from a tree guy and filed a claim with our insurance, although neither of them can get anyone out here to actually do anything until this Saturday. And insurance told us that we have to have the limb removed before they arrive so they can inspect the roof for damage (which sounds a bit fishy to me since I would think they’d need to see everything intact from the time it happened before checking for damages, but maybe that’s just me watching too many personal injury lawyer commercials).

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
They only care about getting the invoice from the tree guy, his service cost doesn’t really matter to them as much as getting a good assessment of the roof damage

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Update: the tree limb is now officially gone! Our neighbors’ landlord (apparently the house is a rental) called a guy to take care of it and he came by today and removed everything all the way down to the trunk.

As far as whether they’re gonna have someone assess the health of any of the other trees/branches in the yard, we don’t know. Although I wouldn’t be shocked if they did, considering this tree probably isn’t in the best health for a limb to have broken off of it as easily as that one did (the weather was totally calm when it happened and I don’t think there was any weight on there) and the only other big tree in that yard that’s near the fence has a ton of huge knots and burls and poo poo on it. I get the sense that this landlord is the type that gets real persnickety about anything that MIGHT hurt his property values or lead to any kind of legal trouble for him.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 15, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It and all the trees around it looked like water oaks and they are famously unhealthy. 25 years growing and the next 25 years slowly dying.

E: The only good water oak is a dead water oak (or it’s very close relative the willow oak which seems to be an altogether superior tree). They’re the king of trash trees in the SE. Water oaks are probably the fastest growing oak in the world and if they didn’t die so fast and have so many flaws and hollow out they could be an incredible timber tree. I cut two out of my (admittedly prime bottomland) yard that were 15” DBh and 22 years old. I thought they were 50 before they cut them. Growth rings more than an inch apart some years, and easily 50’ tall. They are great firewood/woodlot trees and I have wondered if they could be coppiced or something. My other genius idea recently was to turn privet into English hedgerows. I have no idea the Southeast needs hedgerows, but I think privet would be great for it, with water oaks and green ash growing up in between.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 15, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It and all the trees around it looked like water oaks and they are famously unhealthy. 25 years growing and the next 25 years slowly dying.

E: The only good water oak is a dead water oak (or it’s very close relative the willow oak which seems to be an altogether superior tree). They’re the king of trash trees in the SE. Water oaks are probably the fastest growing oak in the world and if they didn’t die so fast and have so many flaws and hollow out they could be an incredible timber tree. I cut two out of my (admittedly prime bottomland) yard that were 15” DBh and 22 years old. I thought they were 50 before they cut them. Growth rings more than an inch apart some years, and easily 50’ tall. They are great firewood/woodlot trees and I have wondered if they could be coppiced or something. My other genius idea recently was to turn privet into English hedgerows. I have no idea the Southeast needs hedgerows, but I think privet would be great for it, with water oaks and green ash growing up in between.

Funny you say this! We had a water oak pop up out of nowhere in our front yard a few years ago, practically in the same exact spot as an earlier (different kind of) oak tree that we had to cut down awhile before that. My dad, being a “live-and-let-live” semi-hippie type of guy, didn’t want to cut the water oak down because he had wanted to put a new oak tree in that spot anyway, and with this one magically appearing there on it’s own, he considered it to be — and I’m quoting him directly here — a “little gift from God” (he’s pretty religious like that, although thankfully not in a bad conservative way).

Now, I say all of that in the past tense because, while the tree is still standing there in that spot at the moment, it is no longer alive. That’s because the huge winter storm we got back in February that murdered our state’s power and water grids also killed a whole shitload of plants, including this particular tree. You can tell it’s dead because all of the leaves on it are shrivelled up and death-brown, instead of growing and bright vibrant green like oak leaves are supposed to be at this time of year. I have a chainsaw big enough to cut it down, but it’s right near a power line and too tall for someone to cut down safely and gradually without either a tall A-frame ladder or a boxlift. Both of those things mean that we need to hire a pro to take care of it, although the power line is along the street and not connected to our house which makes me wonder if maybe the city might handle it for us :thunk:

EDIT: Actually that same storm killed several other plants of ours too, including a gardenia bush, two camellia bushes (about half of one of which is still desperately clinging to life), pretty much all of our existing azalea bushes (none of which were ever doing that well to begin with, partly because no one ever took care of them and partly because they’re all Encores, because we bought them back before we knew better), and — perhaps most notably — the very hedge bushes and ground-cover jasmine in our front yard that I’ve been wanting to dig up and replace with the GOOD KIND of azalea bushes for like 2 years now. Except this time WE’RE GONNA GROW ‘EM RIGHT :cawg:

(I also want to put in a couple of flowering cherry trees and possibly a flowering peach, along with several varieties of roses, a few crepe myrtles along the border between our house and our neighbors above us, and a whole bunch of tulips and hyacinths and poo poo)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1381539861782405127

smh at Florida just giving up on this.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Speaking of azaleas, my native deciduous one had a single big rear end flower bud that I’ve been waiting for all spring to open . Well I finally went out to see wtf was taking so long; low and behold, some fuckin caterpillar had made a nest in it and ate the drat thing lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Privet is specifically grown as a hedge. That's what it's for lol

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Privet is specifically grown as a hedge. That's what it's for lol

I think he is specifically refering to the building/planting of a hedgerow, which is a little different from a hedge and not suitable for all hedging plants, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Here are what the old hedgerows around where I grew up are like. They are pretty crazy and very good for wildlife.

They also have a load of wildflowers in them.