Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that fiddle leaf figs they take a long time to get big and that they can be finicky about conditions. If I ever see one selling for a song one day, I feel I’ll have to buy it just to experience the plant, even if it doesn’t really appeal to my æsthetic sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Platystemon posted:

I know that fiddle leaf figs they take a long time to get big and that they can be finicky about conditions. If I ever see one selling for a song one day, I feel I’ll have to buy it just to experience the plant, even if it doesn’t really appeal to my æsthetic sense.

All the Home despots, Lowe’s, etc are rotten with them in my area. They over-stocked a buttload of popular houseplants (fiddle leaf, monstera, croton, sansevieria, etc) and now they’re liquidating them at 50% off or more.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Are you in the states? Costa Farms has a lot of standard flfs and bambinos starting at 20ish and I even saw a few bambinos in grocery stores. Unfortunately I'm back home in Canada now where they only seem to be showing up reliably full size at places like Costco which is not really accessible to me on public transit.
E: ^^what the poster above me said

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I feel like they really come into their own when they can get big. They just get sad in rooms with eight‐foot ceilings.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Platystemon posted:

I feel like they really come into their own when they can get big. They just get sad in rooms with eight‐foot ceilings.

:chanpop:

I got another cactus and a place for these garden tchotchkes.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This tall (short?) boy growing in the middle of a rhodo my landlord’s son “pruned”/destroyed is a maple, correct? (I should know this)

Can anybody tell me what kind? I’m in suburban/urban New England.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

We just planted a new viv today.

Still work in progress, but it's starting to look nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ok Comboomer posted:

This tall (short?) boy growing in the middle of a rhodo my landlord’s son “pruned”/destroyed is a maple, correct? (I should know this)

Maple of some sort. Silverleaf was my first guess, but the underside of the leaves doesn’t look very silver. The foliage of young plants can be weird in general, not sure about how maturity affects maples. Could be a bigleaf, but that would be odd for New England.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Maple of some sort. Silverleaf was my first guess, but the underside of the leaves doesn’t look very silver. The foliage of young plants can be weird in general, not sure about how maturity affects maples. Could be a bigleaf, but that would be odd for New England.

I’ll try to take a better shot of the foliage tomorrow.

My plan is to pull it out and stick it in a big pot before the landlord decides to schedule another round of yard maintenance and kills it. Could make an interesting bonsai one day, I’m fond of bigleaf/non-Japanese maples used as bonsai. Almost bought one at various times this past summer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ok Comboomer posted:

you guys, you guys

dragonfruit plants

dragonfruit are epiphytes and they grow on trellises

they’re a cactus that grows on a trellis and I want one

Edit: the Epic Gardening dude has a whole yard full of dragonfruit, how did I not know that these delightful plants could be container grown as such?

Check out Pereskia aculeata.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Check out Pereskia aculeata.

:magical:

that’s rad.

Can somebody tell me what these succs I saw at a plant store the other day are?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Madagascar palm

Fishbone cactus

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Madagascar palm

Fishbone cactus

thank you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last one is a desert rose.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Last one is a desert rose.

hell yea
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lWwBslWqg

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes maple, I too thought silverleaf but the leaves are too fat, so I'm gonna guess norway maple. They are kind of trash trees and you definitely don't want one growing right next to the foundation of the house.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

pokie posted:

:swoon: if you don't mind me asking, where do you source your interesting looking hardscape (branches in particular).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I maked a thread about drying plant stuff and using it to craft/decorate and poo poo like that. It's the right season for harvesting, if anyone is into that kind of thing.

couldcareless posted:

:swoon: if you don't mind me asking, where do you source your interesting looking hardscape (branches in particular).

The best place I've found for this kind of stuff is aquarium people but they also charge 10x what everything should cost. There's a few folks on Etsy that have more reasonable prices if you poke around, though. Also Ebay sometimes.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 26, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

couldcareless posted:

Wallet is right re: aquarium stores, but I got mine at reptile expos. Most metro areas have one. Another source I've used that's a bit expensive is BioDude, e.g. https://www.thebiodude.com/products/sandblasted-ghostwood-branch-10-12. If you are lucky you may have a good exotic pet shop in your area, e.g. Berkeley, CA, has East Bay Vivarium.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

pokie posted:

Hi this is lovely. What's this grow box setup thing? It looks slick.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

kreeningsons posted:

Hi this is lovely. What's this grow box setup thing? It looks slick.

It's this tank, exo-terra small x-tall. http://exo-terra.com/en/products/rainforest-terrarium.php

What would you like to know?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys I got this :3 little female Euphorbia Obesa pup :3 from my friend's old fella.

The one that done birthed her:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You guys I got this :3 little female Euphorbia Obesa pup :3 from my friend's old fella.

Euphorbias are dimorphic?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok Comboomer posted:

Euphorbias are dimorphic?

Some of them, including the Obesa, are. Euphorbia has a LOT of variety.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Some of them, including the Obesa, are. Euphorbia has a LOT of variety.

I love euphorbia so much

Can anybody recommend me a good textbook? Or for other succs as well? Idk if I have more euphorbs or cacti at this point. Probably an even split

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Yes! Euphorbia are amazing and I love them. I've been slowly collecting them alongside my other cacti and succulents.

E. meloformis was one of the first I ever got and remains my favourite

E. polygona

E. horrida hybrid (unsure?)

E. milii (with a resident Crassula muscosa sharing the pot)

E. flanaganii

E. bupleurifolia Euphorbia japonica

E. eunopla

E. anoplia

E. mammillaris

edit to add:

E. aggregata

E. pulvinata

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dihaploidy posted:

Yes! Euphorbia are amazing and I love them. I've been slowly collecting them alongside my other cacti and succulents.

E. meloformis was one of the first I ever got and remains my favourite

E. polygona

E. horrida hybrid (unsure?)

E. milii (with a resident Crassula muscosa sharing the pot)

E. flanaganii

E. bupleurifolia Euphorbia japonica

E. eunopla

E. anoplia

E. mammillaris

edit to add:

E. aggregata

E. pulvinata

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

surprised you don’t have any trigona, tirucalli, or lactea given how popular they are, at least in my neck of the woods

come to think of it, I haven’t really seen many lactea or lactea cristata in a long rear end time (aside from the ones I have at home)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone have progress shots of their succs?

I want to see gains.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Ok Comboomer posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

surprised you don’t have any trigona, tirucalli, or lactea given how popular they are, at least in my neck of the woods

come to think of it, I haven’t really seen many lactea or lactea cristata in a long rear end time (aside from the ones I have at home)

I do actually have a trigona now that you mention it, but it's been looking extremely sad for reasons I've yet to work out, I'll be trying to re-pot it soon I think.

Platystemon posted:

I want to see gains.

I went digging and my best progress shot would be my old favourite the meloformis, from roughly around the time I firt got it in 2013,

To now:

That frontmost little pup is probably roughly the size of the adult plant when I first got it!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The one that done birthed her:

That's quite the chonker.

Nice Euphorbia collection, as well!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good textbook? Or for other succs as well? Idk if I have more euphorbs or cacti at this point. Probably an even split

I don't know of any good textbooks for succulent morphology etc, though I imagine they exist. LLifle is still the best encyclopedia of succulents and cacti I know of. I do find a copy of Plant Identification Terminology (Harris & Harris) useful for figuring out what to call poo poo so I can look it up.

Platystemon posted:

I want to see gains.
I take pictures of everyone when I first get them and then every few months whatever when I can remember to. Some misc selections:

Since we're talkin' 'bout Euphorbias here's E. ingens March 2020 and today (they weren't very well rooted so they did nuffink for almost a year, as the little one in the back continues to):

Some Haworthadingles (attenuata that came with no roots, retusa, and one labeled springbokvlakensis that doesn't look like one) December 2020/today:

My camera wanted to focus on the Senecio stapeliiformis this morning but here's a little baby Agave (I don't have a positive ID but it looks like an ×arizonica) from January 2020/today:

Barely perceptible Monanthes polyphylla that has been growing fast, February 2021/today:

Myrtillocactus geometrizans cv. Fukurokuryuzinboku, December 2020/today:

Sedum morganianum and a little rubrotinctum + adolphii, March 2020/today:

Pachycereus marginatus f. cristata, April 2020/today. The reverted part wants to grow faster but I don't have the heart to remove it :(:

Selenicereus validus, February 2021/today:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Euphorbias rule. That giant obesa is amazing. Has it been cut? Its growth pattern is very odd.

Platystemon posted:

I want to see gains.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

This succ discord has a library channel with a lot of resources if you are interested: https://discord.gg/bS72z89y

If you are interested in an illustrated intro to various succ families, I enjoyed this book:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0881929956/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

this isn't a succ but I'm loving the three month progress on this hoya (krohniana silver?)! I think that's what replaced the racist name it was sold to me under, if someone could confirm I'd appreciate it.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

pokie posted:

It's this tank, exo-terra small x-tall. http://exo-terra.com/en/products/rainforest-terrarium.php

What would you like to know?

That's all. cool tank

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So Stark Bros decided to send the golden delicious trees I ordered a few weeks earlier than I told them to, which means they're gonna arrive sometime between tomorrow and Monday.

Is it safe to go ahead and put these in the ground now or do I need to pot them for another 2 or 3 weeks before I do that?

I'm in zone 8b.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

So Stark Bros decided to send the golden delicious trees I ordered a few weeks earlier than I told them to, which means they're gonna arrive sometime between tomorrow and Monday.

Is it safe to go ahead and put these in the ground now or do I need to pot them for another 2 or 3 weeks before I do that?

I'm in zone 8b.

They're better off in the ground that in a pot. If the temperature is going to make them break dormancy because they've been somewhere much colder or something putting them in a pot isn't likely to prevent that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright I'm getting ready to put these trees in the ground.

They're replacing a couple of trees I planted a year and a half ago that didn't make it, and the holes they're going in are full of already-amended dirt from back then. How should I go about mixing the dirt here? Should I just plant them in the same dirt from last time, or should I mix in some dirt from the ground around the holes too? Should I add any more bag soil or compost or whatever?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

They're replacing a couple of trees I planted a year and a half ago that didn't make it, and the holes they're going in are full of already-amended dirt from back then. How should I go about mixing the dirt here? Should I just plant them in the same dirt from last time, or should I mix in some dirt from the ground around the holes too? Should I add any more bag soil or compost or whatever?

The ideal soil to fill a hole a plant is going into is the soil that came out of the hole. Because the soil there is already amended in your case, you're probably best served by either diluting the amended soil or just swapping it with soil from an area nearby where you don't want to plant anything for a while.

Except for plants that need soil amendment because you want to grow them somewhere they don't really belong, current research suggests that significant amendment to the soil you're putting plants into, particularly for trees and shrubs, is ultimately detrimental. Throwing in some root tone or whatever is fine, but adding a bunch of extra organic matter that doesn't exist in the surrounding soil does two things that are best avoided:
It fucks with the way water moves in and around the soil the plant is growing in,
and because roots have a tendency to not want to pass through boundaries between areas of soil with different compositions, it hurts long-term root development.

Slightly more detail here from Linda Chalker-Scott.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 31, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One more question: If I want to kill some weeds in a spot with Roundup before planting, how long should I wait after that before I plant? I ask because there's some grass in this area that grew up through the ground cover and over the holes I'm about to plant in, and I'm not 100% sure if pulling it up is gonna keep it gone.

Yes, I am gonna put ground cover and mulch over the trees when they're planted. But this grass has apparently gotten through ground cover before, sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

One more question: If I want to kill some weeds in a spot with Roundup before planting, how long should I wait after that before I plant? I ask because there's some grass in this area that grew up through the ground cover and over the holes I'm about to plant in, and I'm not 100% sure if pulling it up is gonna keep it gone.

Yes, I am gonna put ground cover and mulch over the trees when they're planted. But this grass has apparently gotten through ground cover before, sooo

The herbicide itself will often say how long you need to wait after use to plant things (and their website probably will if it doesn't). There's a number of different formulations of roundup.