Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kibayasu posted:

Such a change in scenery and tone but it feels like we're on the doorstep of leaving already.

Act 2 is the game's high point precisely because of the time skip. Manny has built up so much - wealth, community, status, and access. And this part of the game is about how he calls in all his favours over one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Dig this real.
Exploooosion...bang.
The phone is for me.
Like, pow!
I reach out...
I'm severely touched.
Don't pet the cat that way.
You heard me.

This recording went to plan in the way that I knew that it would be impossible to go perfectly. There is a lot of rambling in this video in several different ways that I wasn't strictly in control of apart from putting it to an end. I accidentally cut off the announcer at the race track, his announcements seem to be on a loop and I've come into the race track at different points. I was in control of Manny at the time, but unfortunately, clicking to move him seemed to cut off an announcement. The poetry was a case of choosing anything original until the only choices were two or three rounds of repeats. I don't feel like I accomplished a whole lot in this video, but it was fun to record.

I did say that I'd record each line of poetry and have made a start. I'm writing down each line as they appear on the screen and recording them as I go along, I think that I managed to get around two-thirds of them in one session earlier, trying to organise them all into a single, coherent, video will be a test of my patience. If I'm feeling extra masochistic then I might even do one for Olivia too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Luuuuuuguuuuubriouuuuus

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Cooked Auto posted:

Luuuuuuguuuuubriouuuuus

Sing it, sister.

So far, I've identified 85 different lines of poetry. I'd like to think that I've caught each line of Manny's as I recorded each line individually so I could make a record but there's bound to be one line that I miss. Olivia's lines will be harder to dig through as her poem is a result of everything that I delved through minus a pause function.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Sing it, sister.

One of the few things I still remember from when I watched an older movie style LP of the game a couple of years back.
That line just sticks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Boy, oh boy, it is real interesting to see the patrons of the Blue Casket since the last time I watched an LP of this.

Also, my favourite poem is:

"There was a man from Timbuktu
Who got limericks and haikus confused"

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 2, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm playing through Grim Fandango for the first time right now, having missed it back in the day. I love the style and writing, but I don't think I quite have the patience for 90s adventure games anymore because some of these puzzle solutions (I'm currently in act 3) involve some galaxy brain stuff. :v:

As for the LP itself, you're doing an excellent job but the one complaint I have thus far is that you're using the 16:9 stretch-o-vision mode. The visuals were designed for 4:3 and this remaster stretches them to widescreen instead of cropping and zooming like Resident Evil HD, and I'd really prefer if they were kept in the original aspect ratio.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 2, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Doc M posted:

I'm playing through Grim Fandango for the first time right now, having missed it back in the day. I love the style and writing, but I don't think I quite have the patience for 90s adventure games anymore because some of these puzzle solutions (I'm currently in act 3) involve some galaxy brain stuff. :v:

As for the LP itself, you're doing an excellent job but the one complaint I have thus far is that you're using the 16:9 stretch-o-vision mode. The visuals were designed for 4:3 and this remaster stretches them to widescreen instead of cropping and zooming like Resident Evil HD, and I'd really prefer if they were kept in the original aspect ratio.

Adventure game logic is a weird and wonderful thing. Thankfully though, walkthroughs are easy to access these days for when you're in a tight spot.

I know what you're saying and I understand. I did consider playing this in the original 4:3 resolution with borders, but as this is the remastered version I decided to play it as it was intended. That means all of the new functions have been left on, tank controls are the default for some reason.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I know what you're saying and I understand. I did consider playing this in the original 4:3 resolution with borders, but as this is the remastered version I decided to play it as it was intended.
4:3 with borders is how it was intended, it's actually the default screen mode because it doesn't stretch the artwork (I use 4:3 without borders because the borders were more distracting than the pillarboxing). The 16:9 mode is there for those who really can't stand any black bars on their screen, but it's definitely not the intended option and personally I'd have left it out of the remaster.

As for the controls, I started playing on a controller and it defaulted to camera-relative controls, but I quickly switched to the point and click interface. I briefly tried the tank controls because I'm normally just fine with those, but Manny turns about as quickly as a WWII aircraft carrier so it wasn't great.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Manny enters the High Rollers Club to find Charlie's suitcase and to find a lawyer so he can adopt Glottis. I think that I tried to cram too much into this video but I wanted to end it the way that I did.

Bonus Videos

I have some free time today as my youngest is having to self-isolate with her mother. So I decided to record another video and piece this one together. I found eighty-six individual lines in total, I really hope that I didn't miss any as I was extremely thorough. I did attempt to put them into a somewhat alphabetical order but I wasn't being too strict about it.

Edit: Something went wrong with the encoding process. I will post a new link when it's ready.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 3, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the new link, apologies for the error:

Open Mic Night - Manny's Poem

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just played through the rest of act two in preparation to do another record either tonight or tomorrow. I'll probably record it all in one session and split the video as there's not a whole lot left to do. If there's anything optional that you want to make sure is included? I feel like I've fairly thorough in exploring the obvious within the environments before triggering the final cutscene but I haven't tried everything. It took twenty minutes but I finally figured out how to trigger the secret bee chant, the end result in the LP will most likely be a cut from an unknown amount of attempts.

I have started to record bonus footage but have stalled with the first conversation with Nick in the High Rollers Club. I think that I have managed to soft-lock the game. When asking Nick to be your lawyer, he wants to be told that he's the best but you have the option to refuse or insult him. If you exhaust this dialogue without telling him that he's the best he just rebuffs you and don't get the option to threaten him into it. Is there another way to make him leave so you can pick up the cigarette case?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the end of the second act. I was expecting this to be a two-parter but after editing it's now a single thirty-seven minutes long video, I don't usually like going over thirty minutes but there didn't seem a natural point in where to cut this in half.

I will concentrate on additional footage before I start the third act. As I've said above, I have started to record some footage but there is a point where I believe that I have soft-locked an alternative direction involving Nick. I will side-step this for now and continue on.

This is one additional scene that I've just witnessed for the first time: Rusty Anchor

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I wanted to get to the conversation with Nick myself so I could try it out, but while I was speedrunning act one, I pressed shift while getting in the car and the game locked up. I could still switch between the original or remastered version of dim screen with vehicle and no sign of Manny, but that was the only input that worked until I force quit. Obviously, I had forgotten to save. May try again later, but I don't think I have it in me tonight.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

I wanted to get to the conversation with Nick myself so I could try it out, but while I was speedrunning act one, I pressed shift while getting in the car and the game locked up. I could still switch between the original or remastered version of dim screen with vehicle and no sign of Manny, but that was the only input that worked until I force quit. Obviously, I had forgotten to save. May try again later, but I don't think I have it in me tonight.

Thank you for the attempt and I'm sorry that the game locked up on you. I'm not sure if it's the remaster or whether this game is just glitchy in general as I've been experiencing several graphical glitches.

I decided to give it another attempt and have just figured it out. After Terry gets arrested it opens up another line with Nick, this time giving him a legitimate reason and ending the endless loop of rebuffs.

I also worked out why I couldn't examine the tattoo further, I was interacting with the wrong point of interest. It's a shame that I didn't get it into the main LP as one of the lines really made me laugh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Manny's the best dressed deck swab they'll ever have.

I'm already sad to be leaving Rubacava. The first zone had its share but Rubacava is just overflowing with character and life (so to speak).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kibayasu posted:

Manny's the best dressed deck swab they'll ever have.

I'm already sad to be leaving Rubacava. The first zone had its share but Rubacava is just overflowing with character and life (so to speak).

Act Two is the game's peak - we see the life Manny built for himself, and watch him burn it all down to go after Meche. Sadly Act Three is...the bit of the game people tend to cough over. But it does start strongly so there's that to look forward to.

EDIT: I always liked the way Velasco sees through the fake union card in no seconds flat. But he nods us through anyway, because he's horrified about what's happening to Rubacava (never mind how much we had to do with that!)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'll say this, just before we leave Rubacava - Chowchilla Charlie gave his best, but he's no Peter Lorre.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Year Two - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

I tried to be as thorough as possible with this but I didn't try everything on everything else. Timestamps are in the video description:

Pissing Off Bogen, Additional Dialogue With Olivia, Entering The High Rollers Club Before Glottis, Additional Dialogue With Nick, Showing The Photo To Maximino, A Conversation With Raoul, Naranja's Tattoo & Toto's Conversation With Velasco.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the start of the third year. Manny has earned a promotion and Glottis seems to be enjoying his new job, everything is working out for them. Well, for the first couple of minutes that is...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, I must be a dummy, 'cause I don't get how the diver is walking in circles if he keeps the light from the Pearl always on his right...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

OK, I must be a dummy, 'cause I don't get how the diver is walking in circles if he keeps the light from the Pearl always on his right...

I did notice, it was one of those situations where I just let it slide at the time. It does seem like an odd design choice and something that seems like it wouldn't have been to hard to implement, making him walk anti-clockwise would have been a good start.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pfff. He is keeping it on his left, isn't he?

For all the troubles at work many had at the start of the game, it's kind of hilarious how he's actually such a go getter that he rises to the top almost immediately literally everywhere else.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We need a :stare: emote that is Glottis after hearing "explosives"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Manny gets to see his new office and speak to his new colleagues. My brain had a couple of moments during the recording, I forgot to pick up an item, almost forgot another item there's a cut around the 26:24 mark as I made a mistake with the action that I was meant to perform next. The crane sequence was a pain to figure out back in the day.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Samovar posted:

Designate a fixed point in the middle of your living room. Turn 90°s from it. Walk forwards while striving to always have that fixed point in the corner of your eye. Perfect circle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Designate a fixed point in the middle of your living room. Turn 90°s from it. Walk forwards while striving to always have that fixed point in the corner of your eye. Perfect circle.

Oh yeah. NOW I get it. Stupid bad brains.

Also, I take it Sproutella is a pun on Beretta?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Getting Glottis back up being the first thing to certainly makes sense in retrospect but going from finding him alive to pull up the entire ship he's on is a bit of a leap.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of the third year. After rescuing Glottis and securing an escape vessel, Manny now needs to convince Meche to join us as well as dealing with Domino once and for all. I know that it's been a short while since my last update but I'll be working on the bonus footage before I start the final year. I couldn't remember much about the third year but I found it rather enjoyable, my memory of the fourth year seems even worse.

Kibayasu posted:

Getting Glottis back up being the first thing to certainly makes sense in retrospect but going from finding him alive to pull up the entire ship he's on is a bit of a leap.

There are some rather large leaps taken in a very short amount of time in this area. The island feels like it should contain a few more steps in progression, I know that a big part of this act was the journey to the island itself but the island itself feels a little sparse in content.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know, I never really thought I'd buy being happy seeing a person getting pulled into a rock grinder while conscious, yet Dom manages to pull it off. What a salesman!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You traumatized those kids so badly you broke their animations.

Samovar posted:

You know, I never really thought I'd buy being happy seeing a person getting pulled into a rock grinder while conscious, yet Dom manages to pull it off. What a salesman!

Let's just believe that consciousness is probably a nebulous concept in the land of the dead.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

As usual, I tried to be as vigilant as I could and I apologise if there is anything that I have missed out. Timestamps are included in the video description.

Year Three - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

LEGGO!, Uuuuh, Additional Angelito Dialogue, Additional Meche Dialogue, Additional Domino Dialogue, Additional Chepito Dialogue, Additional Glottis Dialogue, Additional Vault Scenes and Additional Beach Dialogue.

I'll be working on recording the first video of the fourth year within the next few days. Hopefully, I will have something up before the week is over.

Kibayasu posted:

You traumatized those kids so badly you broke their animations.

Wait until you see what happens to Domino when we pull out our Bust-All! There's a fair bit of jank in this game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Edit: Removed.

Welcome to the fourth and final year and even though It seems like it's going to be a short one it's going to go off with a bang. My memory of this year is hazy at best, I've only completed this game a couple of times and my last complete playthrough was five years ago. In some ways, it's quite refreshing going into it like this as some of the lines took my by surprise in the test run. I would elaborate further but I don't want to spoil anything, but I don't feel like the end run is going be any less strong than what we've seen so far. If I do miss anything, please point it out as I've already replayed this three times before recording to be thorough and each time I found a little more.

Now that we're nearing the end of this LP I'm debating on what game to play after this. There are two adventure games that I've pushed back numerous times, there's also a game of a completely different genre that I'm putting some serious thought into starting. I'll think about it some more and will make a decision soon.

Anyway, I'll finish off this post with an unfortunate screencap (linked due to potential spoilers): https://imgur.com/a/tDOkl8E

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was listening to this in the background while browsing other things and had noticed that the random pauses during recording had returned in this video during a three minute period. That is disappointing, I thought that they were long gone as I hadn't experienced them in several months and had been monitoring system resources to see if they were a contribution but they had always remained at acceptable levels.

This is new to this LP but not to a handful of previous LP's which featured a few editing with re-recorded segments due to Xsplit that suffering from some random lagging. I've been in touch with the Xsplit support and forums and there has been much head-scratching and no solutions.

It's past midnight here and long past where I'm feeling able to re-record these segments at an acceptable level. I'll have an edited video uploaded within twenty-four hours and I apologise for messing everyone around.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies again for the delay and issues with my recording software. The segments between 11:04 and 17:11 have been re-recorded with new commentary.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whew, Glottis was almost being treated seriously there for moment. I wonder if one undeserving soul is enough to send the bone train to hell.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Whew, Glottis was almost being treated seriously there for moment. I wonder if one undeserving soul is enough to send the bone train to hell.

From what the gatekeeper said, I don't think that it was only Nick who had bought his way onto the train. It was probably full of Nicks cronies and other people who had bought their way on board.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the implication is that no one at all is getting the Number Nine tickets they deserve, so there couldn't have been anyone on the train who didn't deserve what they got.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

General physics appears to have taken a considerable vacation for the last video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We have returned to El Marrow and things have changed a lot. We meet an old friend, we make a new friend and I think Glottis will be searching for a new pair of underwear in the next video. Do demons wear underwear? There are a couple of misclicks in this video, unfortunately, but I hope that they won't detract too much from the gameplay. I've tried to make this LP go as smooth as I can with the gameplay but I've had a lot of time constraints lately and a small window of opportunity to produce something today. I was going to push the gameplay further but I didn't realise just how much things one of the characters had to say at towards the end of the video. This is most likely going to be the penultimate episode as we're nearing the end of the game.