Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

T___A posted:

I find the IP rights involved in Star Wars fascinating, like how KoToR 1 had to undergo minor rewrites because of trademark dispute with Jeep of all people.

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, it had to what?

Yeah, that one is new to me, and I'd like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If I recall, it was to do with the surname Sunrider, as in Nomi Sunrider from some of the old KotOR era comics, and there being a Jeep model by that name

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Bastila Shan was to be Nomi Sunrider's daughter Vima. Supposedly this caused an issue with Jeep because they manufacture a soft top called the Sunrider, but I don’t think that’s ever been confirmed and it doesn’t make a lot of sense. (Who's going to argue that there will be serious confusion between a Star Wars character and a car accessory?)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sunrider_family

It's a wiki, so grain of salt, but there's a quote from the head of Lucas licensing about it not being a myth

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh, I was aware of the Nomi Sunrider thing, but nobody ever made the connection to Jeep before. It was always just mentioned as a vague "oh there's a trademark issue" which made no sense at all whatsoever because that's not how trademarks work.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I recently rehashed the old Nomi Sunrider comics with my partner and man, the Jedi were way more interesting when they were decentralized (before we knew what a Jedi Council was) and still had connections to their original homes. Tott Doneeta eschewing galaxy-wide problems to help out his people on the hellscape that was old Ryloth while nearly being sabotaged by another well-meaning but misguided Jedi was neat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Sunrider Jeep thing definitely isn't a myth. It was repeated forever on fan sites but eventually Lucasfilm people did comment on it. Some of the people involved in TOR have also talked about it, I think.

The thing that's one of those long-repeated myths I want to know the source of is that Lucas gave out Dark Empire as a Christmas gift in the early 90s. That's one of those urban legends that's been around probably since the first Star Wars fan sites went up, and it seems just-possible enough to be true, but I've never heard the actual source for it. Tom Veitch has mentioned it in interviews since but again it seems like something he himself might have just picked up secondhand.

The other big EU-related fan lore that I remember is that RA Salvatore got sent death threats for writing Vector Prime, which still gets circulated around today, even though on his own website he says he never received any and that he only knows about the claims secondhand.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I recently rehashed the old Nomi Sunrider comics with my partner and man, the Jedi were way more interesting when they were decentralized (before we knew what a Jedi Council was) and still had connections to their original homes. Tott Doneeta eschewing galaxy-wide problems to help out his people on the hellscape that was old Ryloth while nearly being sabotaged by another well-meaning but misguided Jedi was neat.

TOTJ: Redemption is a really good story. Also in retrospect kind of funny in that it foreshadows the Rey/Luke storyline of the sequel movies.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
To be fair to Vector Prime, Chewbacca was not their first choice on who to kill off. IIRC it was Lando.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, IIRC there was a pretty good interview with him and Michael Stackpole from some panel that I think was posted in the previous thread that went over how the decision to kill Chewbacca came about, and some of the stories of the reactions to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T___A posted:

To be fair to Vector Prime, Chewbacca was not their first choice on who to kill off. IIRC it was Lando.

There was an interview a while ago with Salvatore about this and from what I recall, he said when he was brought on to Vector Prime (he was a late replacement author) he was under the assumption that it had been settled on Chewbacca, but later learned that Chewie was just the suggestion of Randy Stradley from Dark Horse Comics, and it could have been anyone, and Salvatore said if he had known that at the time he would have gone with Lando.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Even in a galaxy far far away the black guy dies first.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that conclusion was kind of hard to escape. Plus, I think killing Chewie was probably the best option if they were going to kill one of the core movie characters, in terms of difficulty of writing dialogue. Even R2 is a bit easier given he can be a hacker type character, use holograms, etc.

That being said, it is kind of weird how the EU completely pigeonholed Lando as "failed businessman" given that's not really how he is in any of the movies.

Of course, now in the Disneyverse we know he spends thirty years living in space-RV on that desert planet hoping his kidnapped daughter will show up. So that's kind of exciting and innovative, I guess.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chairman Capone posted:

There was an interview a while ago with Salvatore about this and from what I recall, he said when he was brought on to Vector Prime (he was a late replacement author) he was under the assumption that it had been settled on Chewbacca, but later learned that Chewie was just the suggestion of Randy Stradley from Dark Horse Comics, and it could have been anyone, and Salvatore said if he had known that at the time he would have gone with Lando.

That would have been a shame, as Lando gets a decent setup early on in that series, iirc. The Dubrillion mining colony thing is a cool as heck idea, with the walking settlement built on the backs of hundreds of decommissioned AT-AT's.

Edit: wait lol, I'm pretty sure I'm confusing my Lando pet projects. Was the AT-AT city actually from Heir to the Empire or something? Christ I'm old and confused.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought Heir to the Empire was the one where Thrawn stole Lando's drilling machines to hijack ships for the fleet but R2 stopped it by having them drill back through the ships to scuttle them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lando is always in a quantum state of using decommissioned imperial equipment to mine in some unbelievably impractical location. doesn't matter what you come up with, he's doing it - using star destroyer repulsor engines to elevate a city built entirely from recovered scrap of the death star which sends tie bombers equipped with mining torpedoes to extract chunks of the planet's core? lando has done it, is doing it, and will do it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

lando is always in a quantum state of using decommissioned imperial equipment to mine in some unbelievably impractical location. doesn't matter what you come up with, he's doing it - using star destroyer repulsor engines to elevate a city built entirely from recovered scrap of the death star which sends tie bombers equipped with mining torpedoes to extract chunks of the planet's core? lando has done it, is doing it, and will do it

Also using old TIE fighters with repulsor fields to let people joyride in an asteroid belt.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

The Sunrider Jeep thing definitely isn't a myth. It was repeated forever on fan sites but eventually Lucasfilm people did comment on it. Some of the people involved in TOR have also talked about it, I think.
I went digging and all I've found so far is people confirming that there is an issue with the name "Sunrider", but not what that issue actually is. It's also kind of funny that Wookieepedia links to archive sites that no longer exist, but the original source is still up for a lot of this stuff.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

The other big EU-related fan lore that I remember is that RA Salvatore got sent death threats for writing Vector Prime, which still gets circulated around today, even though on his own website he says he never received any and that he only knows about the claims secondhand.
If Salvatore deserves death threats its for encouraging a million edgy teen boys to write hyper edgy Mary Sue DnD characters.

T___A fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 5, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of the Salvatore interview, I found it - it was from a 2015 episode of Full of Sith, where they recorded a convention discussion with him and Stackpole on the development of the NJO: https://play.acast.com/s/fullofsithstarwarsnewsdiscussionsandinterviews/episode-cxxxv-why-we-killed-chewie

And speaking of this, what the hell happened to Full of Sith. I remember it used to be a really great weekly update on the state of Star Wars fandom and projects under development, but now when I was looking through their site it looks like they're down to one single host (who wasn't even one of the original group) and their archives have some kind of bug that redirected me to some sketchy cheap meds site. (The above is not a link to their buggy archives, FYI)

I stopped listening to them regularly a while ago but I think TLJ was what started their decline of both original hosts leaving and the remainder converting to a Disney Brand Loyalty mindset... and then when Rise of Skywalker came out they were trapped into defending something they clearly didn't like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, that conclusion was kind of hard to escape. Plus, I think killing Chewie was probably the best option if they were going to kill one of the core movie characters, in terms of difficulty of writing dialogue. Even R2 is a bit easier given he can be a hacker type character, use holograms, etc.

That being said, it is kind of weird how the EU completely pigeonholed Lando as "failed businessman" given that's not really how he is in any of the movies.

Of course, now in the Disneyverse we know he spends thirty years living in space-RV on that desert planet hoping his kidnapped daughter will show up. So that's kind of exciting and innovative, I guess.

i like the idea of lando not being a "failed" businessman but more the type of dude who gets bored and always tries weird risky ventures or innovative ideas and its rarely about the money because he probably has a ton of it and outside appearence and some cool poo poo, its not the biggest deal to him anymore. sometimes it works, some times it doesn't. thats more what i got from the old books.

Jazerus posted:

i mean, the dude owned a loving theme park, he is just an eccentric rich adventurer who has good taste and diverse assets. he would be running star wars equivalent of shark tank but he would invest in like every idea. dude probably doesnt even demand payment back and probably works like Akiyama where he just makes them do weird tests to see what their character is and poo poo. i like my idea of lando drat it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He just gets drunk and goes "hey I bet you could, like, totally mine for flarknarg crystals on the moon of Hermpadermp with Palpatine's nerf-ivory backscratcher collection" and some dude at the bar goes "Lando that's a terrible idea" and then C-3PO is all "the odds of that working are-" and that's it, he's already on the phone to his space bookie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arquinsiel posted:

He just gets drunk and goes "hey I bet you could, like, totally mine for flarknarg crystals on the moon of Hermpadermp with Palpatine's nerf-ivory backscratcher collection" and some dude at the bar goes "Lando that's a terrible idea" and then C-3PO is all "the odds of that working are-" and that's it, he's already on the phone to his space bookie.

yeah and of course he has like a bunch of connections with experts in all of that poo poo.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

So what were the behind the scene reasons the Fel Empire became the dominant power in the end? It seems weird that at the end of the day a reformed Empire won.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T___A posted:

So what were the behind the scene reasons the Fel Empire became the dominant power in the end? It seems weird that at the end of the day a reformed Empire won.

Something something Admiral Daala was the worst possible choice to lead the GFFA and ended up crippling the government through insanity and incompetence, probably.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something something Admiral Daala was the worst possible choice to lead the GFFA and ended up crippling the government through insanity and incompetence, probably.
I mean in the meta sense, by like the authors and stuff.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

T___A posted:

I read the Legacy comic a long time ago (and actually really liked it, at the time anyway), and so I had a passing familiarity with the Fel Empire. What I did not know, until I went poking around just now, was that Baron Soontir Fel was married to... Wedge Antilles' sister.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but come on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T___A posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you. It was pretty obvious from the interviews about Legacy of the Force that the higher ups had no actual plan for how the storyline would go. John Ostrander wrote Legacy making it a lot further into the future to allow for a change to the status quo. But the old EU crept up on it as the newer books came out where there was only a century or so between the end of "current" EU and the future of Legacy. A century is a long time but when you consider that Jagged Fel is supposed to be the founder of an Empire that has been active for quite a while it puts pressure on the newer EU stuff to set up how the Fel Empire formed. And as I said, they had no plan.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arcsquad12 posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you. It was pretty obvious from the interviews about Legacy of the Force that the higher ups had no actual plan for how the storyline would go. John Ostrander wrote Legacy making it a lot further into the future to allow for a change to the status quo. But the old EU crept up on it as the newer books came out where there was only a century or so between the end of "current" EU and the future of Legacy. A century is a long time but when you consider that Jagged Fel is supposed to be the founder of an Empire that has been active for quite a while it puts pressure on the newer EU stuff to set up how the Fel Empire formed. And as I said, they had no plan.

Imagine where we'd be if the Disney buyout hadn't happened and the books were still dealing with octogenarian Luke, Han, and Leia. Would we have seen a continuity split by now? I'd have to say almost certainly, since nobody on the novels side was interested in dealing with the Legacy stuff. Or they could have just erased it away, since time travel definitively exists.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

I read the Legacy comic a long time ago (and actually really liked it, at the time anyway), and so I had a passing familiarity with the Fel Empire. What I did not know, until I went poking around just now, was that Baron Soontir Fel was married to... Wedge Antilles' sister.

I have to admit that 10 year old me was totally enamored with that comic and for a while Soontir Fel was my favorite Legends character.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not shocked at all.

Btw I mentioned the Ben Skywalker-Tahiri thing to four different people and none of them remembered it. I guess the fandom collectively bleached it from their brains.

T___A fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 6, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have not forgotten and I will never forgive Troy Denning for that atrocious scene.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have not forgotten and I will never forgive Troy Denning for that atrocious scene.
Honest question, given the huge corpus and the kind of people that wrote for the EU, is that actually the most sexually hosed up thing in the EU?

T___A fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 6, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I actually had no problem with that when it came up in the Rogue Squadron comic, it made for an interesting dynamic because Wedge and Fel couldn’t kill each other without screwing up their relationship with someone important to them.

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

I just finished the Extend Trilogy, but have one single question that eludes me. Who is Grand Admiral Thrawn?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

T___A posted:

Honest question, given the huge corpus and the kind of people that wrote for the EU, is that actually the most sexually hosed up thing in the EU?

I guess the bug orgies were a thing, but that was also Denning

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Legacy was cool mostly because of Imperial Knights, which were cool and neat. Unlike Jedi, which are dumb and bad.

Hot take central over here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

Imagine where we'd be if the Disney buyout hadn't happened and the books were still dealing with octogenarian Luke, Han, and Leia. Would we have seen a continuity split by now? I'd have to say almost certainly, since nobody on the novels side was interested in dealing with the Legacy stuff. Or they could have just erased it away, since time travel definitively exists.

My guess is that they would start doubling back and packing even more stories into already existing eras. Legends, especially latter-day Legends, was completely allergic to spending too much time not focused on The Big Three or Clone Wars Gang. So other than an occasional spin off, everything of consequence was going to focus on Han, Luke, and Leia forever.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

T___A posted:

"You gotta have an Empire because that's Star Wars" — the authors and stuff

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Drone posted:

Legacy was cool mostly because of Imperial Knights, which were cool and neat. Unlike Jedi, which are dumb and bad.

Hot take central over here.
I did like that their whole deal was "watch the Emperor for signs of evil, apply lightsaber if necessary". Was an interesting spin on the usual red armoured guard dudes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T___A posted:

Bugnest Orgies is a weird sex fetish thing, but that's not out of the ordinary for science fiction writers. It's definitely questionable for Star Wars though.

A 35 year old woman sexually assaulting a 14 year old is crossing the line no matter what book it takes place in and the fact that Denning tried to redeem Tahiri by the end of the same novel and then spent the next book series conveniently ignoring how she is a literal child abuser is unforgivable.

The only other thing that comes close is Xizor trying to date rape Leia in Shadows of the Empire but at least that ended with her kicking him in the lizard dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Xizor thing was originally meant to be a straight-up seduction of Leia; the pheromone date rape aspect actually came from one of the editors of Lucasfilm (Sue Rostoni, I think).

T___A posted:

I think the idea was that the end of NJO (which was the latest thing when the Legacy comic was being developed) made it pretty clear that Jaina Solo was going to end up with Jag Fel, and Fel eventually leading the Empire made some kind of sense and having his wife establish its own version of Jedi Knights was something which tied into the early story drafts of Star Wars with the Empire having Sith Knights.

The big stumbling block was Troy Denning really hating this, and not only refusing to follow that outline but actively sabotaging it and rejecting the idea that the Legacy comic was canonical.

I mean, this is from literally the original appearance of Soontir Fel and tied into his entire character arc and intention to defect to Rogue Squadron, I feel like it's not a huge groaner to the extent of like half of the Mos Eisley patrons being involved in stealing the Death Star plans.