Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon themselves, not a third party seller, sold me a bootleg Blu-ray last year. They have fully stopped giving a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really glad I was able to pick up HotJ before it inevitably gets pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if the author is the seller/"publisher" on Amazon's service, just hiding behind a fake name or a friend who doesn't mind burning their account. Its pretty clear he's still loving pissed that he missed out on the relatively easy gravy train of doing Star Wars tie in fiction for a few years due to circumstances completely outside his control.

Now I just have to decide if I shelve this one on my legends shelf, or with stuff like the out of universe reference books and poo poo...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Make it a little shrine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I feel really dumb now because I somehow missed that it was young Kanan

I liked it so far. Rebels never really came close to achieving the same greatness TCW did. I’m hoping this trends closer to that.

If I had to guess about Omega, She looks like a young Satine. Not sure what benefit that would have unless it’s ultimately going to have something to do with the Mandalore succession issue that The Mandalorian season 2 was hinting at

Oh, that's an interesting idea. Not sure I buy it, but it's interesting. How old would she be by Mandalorian time, when Bo Katan is about to try to lay claim to the throne? That would be, what, I think about 23 years after this? How "old" would we say Omega is supposed to be?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, that's an interesting idea. Not sure I buy it, but it's interesting. How old would she be by Mandalorian time, when Bo Katan is about to try to lay claim to the throne? That would be, what, I think about 23 years after this? How "old" would we say Omega is supposed to be?

Could get tricky if she's being aged like clones are. Also she's got a unique genetic defection which I'm sure will come into play soon. I'm wondering if she's a clone of some random Jedi as a test for cloning Palpatine.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The thing that makes me not buy into that idea is Satine had light blue eyes while Omega has brown eyes that are very close to the same as all the clones. I’m leaning into the idea others have suggested in the TV thread that Omega is a female Jango clone, maybe with more changes other than gender.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I feel like Omega is a Jango clone that was modified to have all the Clone Force 99 mutations, but being female instead of male stabilized the side effects we see with the others.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nckdictator posted:

I’m a tad confused about how a bootleg/unpublished EU book ended up on Amazon

https://youtu.be/pVa_4l8u0xc

The author Kenneth Flint wrote the book in 1992. He rewrote it in 2015 to slot into the old EU and allowed the whole thing to be uploaded online to a fan that's now defunct. You can read the whole thing here via web archive. Someone clearly copied that and published it on Amazon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's an explanation of it in the item description.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never got around to reading it when it was online. I’m kind of tempted to grab a copy just to have a weird bootleg that almost was part of the EU.

Looks like it was supposed to be set right after ROTJ. So the likely candidate for bumping it is Kathy Tyler’s whistling dinosaurs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone help me identify a cultural artifact. Back in the late 90s LucasArts released a collection of games in two large box sets for PC. What were these two collections called, exactly? I remember I had the one that came with Xwing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces and the Jedi Knight demo. The other one I think had Rebel Assault on it.

Was it called The LucasArts Archives or something like that?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 8, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone help me identify a cultural artifact. Back in the late 90s LucasArts released a collection of games in two large box sets for PC. What were these two collections called, exactly? I remember I had the one that came with Xwing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces and the Jedi Knight demo. The other one I think had Rebel Assault on it.

Was it called The LucasArts Archives or something like that?

Yeah and they ruled.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OhFunny posted:

The author Kenneth Flint wrote the book in 1992. He rewrote it in 2015 to slot into the old EU and allowed the whole thing to be uploaded online to a fan that's now defunct. You can read the whole thing here via web archive. Someone clearly copied that and published it on Amazon.

I spent a little bit of time skimming this, and by the measured standards of mediocre Bantam books, this seems like one of the better ones. It avoids the standard plot of "nothing happens for 20 chapters and then the bad guy dies, plus Luke tries and fails to discover something about the Force." There's a big honkin' Force thing ala the Valley of the Jedi for a final setpiece! Leia isn't written quite as horribly as she usually is! There's twin shapeshifters named Kastor and Pollux!

Downsides: it seems maybe a little too full of ideas. There's some plot elements, like a card game, that barely have any room to breathe. Not that you need a whole long sequence like in the KJA book where Lando wins back the Falcon, but it feels a little scattershot. Another couple drafts might have helped, but, well, we know what happened. It's also slavishly devoted to the original trilogy. I get that this was written early on, but like every 10th line is either a restatement or a direct quote from the movies, plus Luke goes back to Tatooine and has a fight with a robot-armed Ponda Baba. Han plays dejarik. There's an Ewok that's actually a shapeshifter. It's all a bit much.

It's still bewildering that Bantam sat on this book. You could have probably published it as is and nobody but a few newsgroup readers would have cared about the supposed continuity conflicts with Truce at Bakura (and you could just shift these events forward a year). It's so weird since practically all of these books were NYT bestsellers. That's just money left on the table, especially since they (thankfully) let the guy keep his advance.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I also thought that the book was pretty decent, especially by the standards of very early Bantam - with the caveat that who knows how much of that was due to him going back and editing it in 2015, so maybe his prose or ideas wouldn't have been as polished back in 1993 or whenever.

I do really like that the premise is centered around the Imperial Senate deciding to take back power after Palpatine's death. That's an innovative idea for a take on the post-ROTJ empire that's not just "new warlord of the week."

And yeah, the fact that the author was able to edit in all the references to later EU works in this revised version and make them fit means it probably could have still easily worked in the early EU, Bakura or not.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Humerus posted:

Could get tricky if she's being aged like clones are. Also she's got a unique genetic defection which I'm sure will come into play soon. I'm wondering if she's a clone of some random Jedi as a test for cloning Palpatine.

Check out that chin and hairstyle. If anything, she'd be a clone of Palpatine. Although, probably at least somewhat mixed with the troopers, as she has brown eyes - which seems really uncommon in the CW cartoon, other than clones.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I also thought that the book was pretty decent, especially by the standards of very early Bantam - with the caveat that who knows how much of that was due to him going back and editing it in 2015, so maybe his prose or ideas wouldn't have been as polished back in 1993 or whenever.

I do really like that the premise is centered around the Imperial Senate deciding to take back power after Palpatine's death. That's an innovative idea for a take on the post-ROTJ empire that's not just "new warlord of the week."

And yeah, the fact that the author was able to edit in all the references to later EU works in this revised version and make them fit means it probably could have still easily worked in the early EU, Bakura or not.

That is an interesting idea! At the very least, bringing back a sham Senate seems like something Isard or one of the smarter warlords would've done to try to stop planets from deserting the Empire through the pretense of reform.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
I just started reading it, and while the prose is pretty pedestrian, it's at least clear and quick, and I prefer it to, say, the first chapter of Aftermath. I agree that a reconstructed Imperial Senate is a nice change of pace from the parade of admirals and warlords we got. I also liked the kind of mirror of the opening of A New Hope with the Rebellion being the pursuers and Luke in the Vader role, was fun and not too forced.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is this the one that starts with the incredibly laborious prose description of the New Hope opening but done in reverse?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw that there was just a "Star Wars Insider: The Fiction Collection Volume 1" anthology that was released on May 4. Looking over the contents, there are some good ones in there, including Stover's final piece for Star Wars, the Plagueis tie-in "The Tenebrous Way" which as far as I know has never been reprinted, and Karen Miller's prequel story to X-Wing: Mercy Kill. Also Christie Golden's "Getaway" which while not good is the final story with Jaina and Jag and basically serves to set up Golden's canceled Sword of the Jedi trilogy, so it's a little historical peek into an alternate future that never happened. Despite being branded as Legends, there are also a few post-Disney canon stories in there too, including the Blade Squadron series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I saw that there was just a "Star Wars Insider: The Fiction Collection Volume 1" anthology that was released on May 4. Looking over the contents, there are some good ones in there, including Stover's final piece for Star Wars, the Plagueis tie-in "The Tenebrous Way" which as far as I know has never been reprinted, and Karen Miller's prequel story to X-Wing: Mercy Kill. Also Christie Golden's "Getaway" which while not good is the final story with Jaina and Jag and basically serves to set up Golden's canceled Sword of the Jedi trilogy, so it's a little historical peek into an alternate future that never happened. Despite being branded as Legends, there are also a few post-Disney canon stories in there too, including the Blade Squadron series.

They've also announced volume 2 coming later this year--I think September?

I love that these stories are getting reprints. Every so often they'd toss some in the paperback reprints of novels, but I always bought first release hardcovers, so I didn't want to double-dip for a short story

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Here's a question: when you think of Corellia, what real-life countries and cultures do you picture? Personally, I had always pictured it as a mixture of Italy and Australia, but a friend mentioned that his mental image of Corellian culture was the American old west.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Corellia is clearly the New Jersey planet.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mostly Russian but a little bit Finnish

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

surf rock posted:

Here's a question: when you think of Corellia, what real-life countries and cultures do you picture? Personally, I had always pictured it as a mixture of Italy and Australia, but a friend mentioned that his mental image of Corellian culture was the American old west.

I've seen it referred to as Space Texas due to its steady export of space cowboys and constant EU yelling about independence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Because of bad writing that decided everyone on the planet is a rugged cowboy, Texas. Better than half the population down there has delusions about being a cowboy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

Corellia is clearly the New Jersey planet.
I really love this idea TBH.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I really love this idea TBH.

It's also not inaccurate, at least for movie Solo. The art book specifies that in the film, Corellia is supposed to represent an East Coast rust belt city from the 60s, while each progressive planet is meant to symbolize heading west, until the final planet is meant to be the southern California coast. That being said there also clearly some other influences in there, like 1930s New York with the Diega Rivera-inspired artwork at the spaceport.

In the old EU, I think Corellia was meant to basically be "the United States." A mix of heavy industry and farmland, and a culture stereotyped with a desire for independence and valuing blasters and pilots.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Now that you've spelled it out, that works really well for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In the old EU, I remember the food always sounding like some form of Creole, so because of that I pictured some mix of New Orleans and the Old West (the latter due to the descriptions of the cities themselves).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 10, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Coronet City for what you see of it in Jedi Academy also has a bit of a Chicago vibe what with basically fighting on a massive El-Train that whole level

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Corellian whiskey is also a huge thing, and there's a mention of a Corellian whiskey sour at one point, which seems like it would be a good analogue to fine bourbon to keep the American connotation.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
For some reason, I always saw it as vaguely middle-eastern - probably because of Bel Iblis's name, and the various references to it being a big trading hub with lots of bazaars made me think of it as a sort of space-Baghdad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look like Amazon took down Heart of the Jedi. I was thinking $10 wasn’t a big deal for a silly little piece of Star Wars history, but I guess I waited too long.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

Look like Amazon took down Heart of the Jedi. I was thinking $10 wasn’t a big deal for a silly little piece of Star Wars history, but I guess I waited too long.

Whew, I got lucky. I ordered mine on the 8th and it got here today, saying in the back it was printed on the 9th. I suspect it might have been taken down before, as when I got mine it didn't pop up if I included "Star Wars" in the search.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, on the whole I liked the NJO. My EU headcanon timeline ends with that, though.

I grew up with the PT and NJO. Flawed they both are but hey are Star Wars for me.

I've had zero interest in anything SW since Disney got it but I recently got bit by the nostalgia bug. Replaying some KOTOR and also gonna be rereading NJO since back then I was a kid and could only get and read some books. I read the first...four or five NJO books then had to skip around and I did read Unifying Force. This was all in the mid 2000s.

Then everybody said Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force were poo poo so I skipped those. Last SW stuff I read was the Legacy comics, which I liked.

Also, while I unfortunately missed it first time around, if I were to humbly suggest a book for the OP, I never heard a bad word about Traitor. Even from NJO haters, I only heard praise.

I really liked the Darth Bane Trilogy. As an audiobook user, I just wanna rep Jonathan Davis for being amazing.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Path-of-Destruction-Audiobook/B009PSMXXU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Likewise, I was in my early teens when the prequels and NJO were coming out. NJO was an absolute clusterfuck and had colossal shifts in quality between books, but hey at least they tried something new. I do think the general arc of the story was pretty good, and they went too grimdark with Vong culture but some of it was genuinely interesting. I'd much rather go back through that series instead of "what if Jacen was evil actually."

I've not delved too deep into the new continuity stuff, outside of the various Kieron Gillen and Si Spurrier written comics, which are excellent. The only book I finished was Alphabet Squadron, which I basically liked, but if I were in the mood for starfighter stuff there's basically no world in which I wouldn't read the X-Wing books over this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just noticed that Shatterpoint is getting an unabridged Audible release in July. It specifically mentions that it’s Legends in the title. Could be a good sign. Rogue/Wraith Squadron never had unabridged releases, so they were trimmed down to fit on a couple of cassettes. Choices of One got missed for some reason. Maybe they’re starting to see the value in the old material.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They never stopped printing it. They just didn't release it all at once because that would just clog shelves. They're totally going to "Disney Vault" this poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The point is they went to the trouble of producing an unabridged audio version of an 18 year old Legends book. Seeing how old it is I doubt it’s something they had done and were just sitting on.
Might mean more is in the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The point is they went to the trouble of producing an unabridged audio version of an 18 year old Legends book. Seeing how old it is I doubt it’s something they had done and were just sitting on.
Might mean more is in the pipeline.

They announced this a few months ago or so. It's part of a reprint of Legends books as part of Lucasfilm's 50th anniversary. In addition to the unabridged audio of Shatterpoint, the book itself is being re-released with new cover art, along with Plagueis, Rogue Squadron and the Thrawn and Bane trilogies. Plus at least two volumes of never-before-reprinted Legends stories from Insider. I think Shatterpoint is the only audiobook that's been announced as part of it, though.